• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 11 |OT| iPad becomes useful

Still no major fixes. Hopefully 11.1 releases sooner rather than later since it seems that's when the real changes will happen.

Not sure what you mean by major fixes, but iOS dot-o-number releases are pretty much always just for bug fixes or emergency changes. And they never list all the bugs they fix on the release notes (I wish they did but, it's Apple). This one's over 600MB so there's got to be some decent changes in there.

Crazyorloco

Note 8 is really really fast and smooth. Samsung has optimized their Software.

Tempted as heck after this iOS update. Apple come on.

11.0.2 out 🤔

They need to fix a whole lot more than this....

iOS 11.0.2 includes bug fixes and improvements for your iPhone or iPad. This update:
-Fixes an issue where crackling sounds may occur during calls for a small number of iPhone 8 and 8 Plus devices
-Addresses an issue that could cause some photos to become hidden
-Fixes an issue where attachments in S/MIME encrypted emails would not open

For information on the security content of Apple software updates, please visit this website:
https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222

Oxn

Didn’t notice on my 7 plus, but on 8 plus I’ve been running into performance or animation hitches where everything seems to respond at half speed. Persists across apps. Usually clears up pretty quickly. Never saw that behavior on ios10.

Yea it looks like the framrate takes a hit right? Goes for like 10seconds or something then back to normal.

Not sure what you mean by major fixes, but iOS dot-o-number releases are pretty much always just for bug fixes or emergency changes. And they never list all the bugs they fix on the release notes (I wish they did but, it's Apple). This one's over 600MB so there's got to be some decent changes in there.

Things like the battery issue and framerate drops. These are the issues that need to quickly be fixed, as they affect every day usability.

sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but I want to replace my MacBook pro 2012 hard drive w/ an ssd, and then keep the old hdd in a caddy in the superdrive slot.

If I put the new ssd in then fresh install macOS, will I still be able to read the files on the old hdd or will they be locked in some way?

sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but I want to replace my MacBook pro 2012 hard drive w/ an ssd, and then keep the old hdd in a caddy in the superdrive slot.

If I put the new ssd in then fresh install macOS, will I still be able to read the files on the old hdd or will they be locked in some way?

You'll be fine and will be able to read the files on the old HD no problem.

Lima

Ugh, I want to be able to control Spotify with my phone locked already.

Yeah this shit is so dumb lmao.

It‘s missing half the time and requires a phone restart.

Sometimes notifications don’t make a sound. Requires a restart.

Phone literally freezing in apps which again requires a restart.

I’ve never had any real issue with iPhones or iOS but damn this shit is janky as hell.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Goddam this release is buggy. Now I’ve got a side dock OSX style

W5xJb2T_d.jpg

Tempted as heck after this iOS update. Apple come on.

They need to fix a whole lot more than this....

iOS 11.0.2 includes bug fixes and improvements for your iPhone or iPad. This update:
-Fixes an issue where crackling sounds may occur during calls for a small number of iPhone 8 and 8 Plus devices
-Addresses an issue that could cause some photos to become hidden
-Fixes an issue where attachments in S/MIME encrypted emails would not open

For information on the security content of Apple software updates, please visit this website:
https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222

It is astonishing that they cannot release a build which fixes home screen and 3D touch animation stutter. At least that, although they have a bunch of bugs to work through.

Dany

Banned
The biggist bug is that whenever apps update it stalls and freezes all the apps from working. Such a jittery mess.

DavidDesu

I had the dock on my iPad showing on the side too. Definitely not the smoothest performer (iPad Mini 4). At my girlfriend's today and her wifi is pretty slow. On Safari I was having large webpages, while still loading, completely freezing up on me. Pages like the Guardian with lots of links and things going on. It seemed to be connected to the poor wifi speed for some reason, it's not been anywhere near as bad when I'm at home with a faster connection. Makes many of the pages I went to unusable, which if it persists is complete BS.

So i keep reading theres controls for each airpod (left/reight) in ios 11, but mine still only has one and ive updated. Is it a part of the update thats still in beta?

Sean

Banned
So i keep reading theres controls for each airpod (left/reight) in ios 11, but mine still only has one and ive updated. Is it a part of the update thats still in beta?

No it's out now. Did you check the Bluetooth settings -> AirPods screen? You probably have the ability, it just needs to be set. (If it doesn't show up there, I dunno).

Giolon

It's in the final release. Go into Bluetooth, and tap the i on the AirPods listing, and you should have the option to set the controls separately for left and right.

It appears on iPad Pro 10.5" and iPhone 7 for me. I don't know why it would be limited to specific devices, but I also wouldn't put it past Apple.

No it's out now. Did you check the Bluetooth settings -> AirPods screen? You probably have the ability, it just needs to be set. (If it doesn't show up there, I dunno).

It's in the final release. Go into Bluetooth, and tap the i on the AirPods listing, and you should have the option to set the controls separately for left and right.

It appears on iPad Pro 10.5" and iPhone 7 for me. I don't know why it would be limited to specific devices, but I also wouldn't put it past Apple.

Im in there, still the old options of play/pause or use siri for both, no skip track or independent ear functionality. :( im on a 6s but cant imagine that would effect this.

Crazyorloco

I’m on the iPhone 7 Plus. Reducing motion in the accessibility options helps with lag. I actually really like how instant it is now without motion. Open Settings app, general, accessibility, reduce motion.

I’ve put lower power mode on and I feel like the battery feels normal now.

Temporary solutions for those like me that can’t stand the lag or battery life.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
The latest mini update has made it so I can’t change orientation anymore. Blah.

And it’s not locked.

After a few days now, it definitely seems like battery life took a bit of a hit on my iPhone 7.

Not even using it much differently than normal, perhaps even less than usual.

Hopefully they release some more updates that fix this and other things soon. Really liked the 3D touch app-switching after learning it was a thing when people who upgraded to iOS 11 early complained that it was gone.

SOLDIER

Once you select a destination to drive to there’s a (...) button on the top right for options. Select Rote Options and it should give you the ability to avoid tolls, ferries, and/or highways. Also a switch to remember these settings. Is highway like express lanes? (For me in CA it’s freeways)

The problem with that option is that it eliminates expressway routes, which I still want to use. I just want to avoid using the express lanes, which cost extra.

Mareg

Well I checked out yesterday out of curiosity if my 4th gen iPad didn't get the update.
When I saw it didn't, I concluded it was too old.

And I think I'm correct. It is funny because I think it was one powerful piece of tech. As I remember correctly, it was regarded as the 3rd gen made right. A refinement on the HD tablet era.

Now I don't care that much as it is still working perfectly to this day. However, it's the first time I have an apple device that is out of support. What am I in for. Will my apps stop working ? Will my device be crippled by apple ceasing support ? Should I try to sell it and buy the new one ?

Shizuka

I did a factory reset and downloaded my backup ten days ago and the battery got better. After downloading this latest update, it's back the way it was, draining like crazy. Fuck, here I go doing the same shit again.

Any word on if 11.0.2 or 4.0.1 fixes the issue of not being able to add music into your watch because it just keeps spinning and spinning and spinning

Draper

iOS 11 is absolute garbage- my 7 Plus is constantly hard locking, apps lock up when opened, volume indicator rarely shows when adjusting, player controls often don’t communicate with control center, and message notifications don’t even appear on my lock screen any longer.

Buggiest final fw I’ve ever experienced.

kIdMuScLe

Fuck man... regret updating my 6s+. It stutters and lags like crazy. Very frustrating. How the fuck Apple released this shit?!!

Blackhead

Redarse
Upgraded to iOS 11.0.2 this morning and my cellular stopped working this afternoon. Just "No Service". Can't make calls or use data :(

Crazyorloco

iOS 11 is absolute garbage- my 7 Plus is constantly hard locking, apps lock up when opened, volume indicator rarely shows when adjusting, player controls often don’t communicate with control center, and message notifications don’t even appear on my lock screen any longer.

Buggiest final fw I’ve ever experienced.

I just experienced this. I almost panicked since nothing was working for several minutes. I couldn’t open anything. Hope we get an update soon. This update is so unlike Apple. I expect a lot more from them.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Reading this thread makes me think I live in the mirror universe.

My 7 runs 11 without any issues, from betas through release. Outside of the missing 3D touch multitasking I and suspect BIG TEXT headers in a few apps I don't have any quibbles with the OS so far.

My 7 runs 11 without any issues, from betas through release. Outside of the missing 3D touch multitasking I and suspect BIG TEXT headers in a few apps I don't have any quibbles with the OS so far.

Same. I do see some animation hitching and some various UI bugs, but my experience is nothing like what is being posted here on both my 7 and an iPad Air. Battery life is same as 10, very few issues with apps. The only thing that was running down my battery was a third-party app running in the background. That's not to discount what others are going through, but it's surprising to see all the negative experiences.

aravuus

And when I finally decide to change things up and buy an Apple phone this happens lol. What are the chances of most or even all of the problems getting fixed by Christmas? I have no idea how frequently or how fast Apple tends to push out updates.

But when I walk into the nearby electronics store in December or January and buy a phone that costs over 800 euros, I really expect it to work perfectly. Great battery life, no animation hitching or framerate drops. Spotify missing from the lock screen is a big one for me since I listen to spotify pretty much all the time.

Vyer

Same. I do see some animation hitching and some various UI bugs, but my experience is nothing like what is being posted here on both my 7 and an iPad Air. Battery life is same as 10, very few issues with apps. The only thing that was running down my battery was a third-party app running in the background. That's not to discount what others are going through, but it's surprising to see all the negative experiences.

Yeah, my 7 + has been generally fine.

Though to be fair, I’m a firm believer in erasing and setting up as new with big OS releases

And when I finally decide to change things up and buy an Apple phone this happens lol. What are the chances of most or even all of the problems getting fixed by Christmas? I have no idea how frequently or how fast Apple tends to push out updates.

But when I walk into the nearby electronics store in December or January and buy a phone that costs over 800 euros, I really expect it to work perfectly. Great battery life, no animation hitching or framerate drops. Spotify missing from the lock screen is a big one for me since I listen to spotify pretty much all the time.

By the holidays everything should be squared away. I expect by that point we'll be at 11.2 and they'll have added new features as well.

11.1 will be out by iPhone X launch, so November 3rd. There will likely be 11.2 either by the end of the year, or very early next year.

Others have said it, but I would expect most of the issues to be resolved in 11.1 or in a 11.1.x update shortly thereafter.

Since moving to yearly releases, things have always been a little bumpy with a new iOS release, especially for older models, for the first month or so, but then fine or close to fine by the first major update. This year is just slightly worse than usual.

In better news, 11.0.2 seemed to have helped with or fixed my 7 Plus's battery drain.

Is there a keyboard that brings back the old layout? Don't get why Apple decided to switch where keys are just cause. It doesn't make me type faster. In fact I've tried SwiftKey and always reverted back to typing like I would on a physical keyboard.

Top Bottom