• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 11 |OT| iPad becomes useful

Vuze

What are the favorite photo editors on iOS 11? Right now I primarily use Snapseed and Lightroom. Is there anything out there that will let me crop and remove part of one image, and then impose it on another one? Anything with functionality close to the lasso tool in photoshop? Anything that allows layer editing?
Take a look at Pixomatic, I think it does it pretty well. I have only rarely used it however, but cutting a part out with transparent background was the reason why I bought it

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Take a look at Pixomatic, I think it does it pretty well. I have only rarely used it however, but cutting a part out with transparent background was the reason why I bought it

I’m looking for something that will let me lasso, cut, paste, deal with text layers, smudge etc. iPad Pro 12 inch.

So i just understood why bluetooth was on after every restart...the control panel doesn’t disable it (nor the wifi). Wtf? What’s their reasoning for this?

cjp

You can turn on the flashlight in the iPad’s Control Center now.

D’oh, I completely forgot that some iPad models now have a flash. I was thinking of something like the screen illumination they added to watchOS 4.

I,d just like a quick way to crop and resize photos. Most apps are so filter focused it’s annoying.

Open your photo in Photos, tap on Edit. Now you've got crop/resize and color tools. Tap on the dots button and select Markup, now you've got some simple drawing tools, lasso select, text tool, simple shapes, etc. Markup is like a lowkey MacPaint.

cjp

Eh, not too bad, but my 6S is definitely a lot worse. At least I’ve got a battery case for that.

SKXyAb.jpeg

jts

...hate me...
Definitely not digging this extra step when taking a screenshot
It’s not an extra step. You can just ignore the thumbnail and it will go to your camera roll as always.

It’s just the option to do some editing on the fly and sharing it before even saving or choose to discard it.

Future

So i just understood why bluetooth was on after every restart...the control panel doesn’t disable it (nor the wifi). Wtf? What’s their reasoning for this?

To confuse everyone that has used any other device in the world including all iPhones pre ios11

The thought is that Apple believes people forget to turn back on their connectivity after turning it off, and really what they are meaning to do is disconnect from a specific network / device temporarily

Red

Pixomatic seems to treat layers like stickers that lay over the main image. It has some decent blend options, but the border selection isn’t great (or so it seems in the short time I’ve spent in app), and it doesn’t fulfill my needs for editing per layer. I would like to take advantage of the A11, and I’m frustrated there seems to be so little on iPhone as full-featured as a desktop app.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
It’s not an extra step. You can just ignore the thumbnail and it will go to your camera roll as always.

It’s just the option to do some editing on the fly and sharing it before even saving or choose to discard it.
Probably my most used feature so far. Love it.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Looks like we have some people here who know how to use Hue stuff. Would someone like to do a OT? I think we really need a OT, espescially with the Hue Entertainment Update that is coming in December and what is about to bring something Ambilight-esques to movies and videogame consoles.

Bonk

Looks like we have some people here who know how to use Hue stuff. Would someone like to do a OT? I think we really need a OT, espescially with the Hue Entertainment Update that is coming in December and what is about to bring something Ambilight-esques to movies and videogame consoles.

I would recommend iConnectHueHD for the Hues. It is so much better than the standard App that I did not bother with it.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still using lightbow for the hue and I love it. I need to get the gen2 bridge though, only have the first one.

Pixomatic seems to treat layers like stickers that lay over the main image. It has some decent blend options, but the border selection isn’t great (or so it seems in the short time I’ve spent in app), and it doesn’t fulfill my needs for editing per layer. I would like to take advantage of the A11, and I’m frustrated there seems to be so little on iPhone as full-featured as a desktop app.

Probably because the iPhone is not really a great format for hardcore image editing, especially without Pencil support? Affinity Photo is a truly desktop-class image editor, but it's iPad-only.

Does pressing the home button not go to the home screen on the 8, or is there something weird with mine? I don't see any settings that would cause that.

I won’t start the OT but I will contribute, I got Hue lights all up in this bitch, and am a big HomeKit user in general

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What's wrong with the Photos app?

Open your photo in Photos, tap on Edit. Now you've got crop/resize and color tools. Tap on the dots button and select Markup, now you've got some simple drawing tools, lasso select, text tool, simple shapes, etc. Markup is like a lowkey MacPaint.

Unless I’m being really blind, I can’t see where to resize photos? Crop is fine, but I often want to export something at a size more suited for posting

Unless I’m being really blind, I can’t see where to resize photos? Crop is fine, but I often want to export something at a size more suited for posting

Ah yeah, my bad, I was thinking of the Aspect Ratio tool. Yeah it's strange that there's no simple resize option. Only workaround might be to email yourself the photo, I think Mail gives you the option to resize there, but that's clumsy. Probably have to get a 3rd party image app for now.

Red

Probably because the iPhone is not really a great format for hardcore image editing, especially without Pencil support? Affinity Photo is a truly desktop-class image editor, but it's iPad-only.
The plus models are just fine for quick editing. I don’t expect my phone to replace my cintiq, but I would like a more robust mobile workflow all the same. I’ll check out Affinity Photo.

OMG yes doing that now

Im gonna wait for 11.1 or something, and even then i want impressions first. Never again do i upgrade like this. Thanks

Glad to have helped.

If you want to stop iOS from encouraging you to update going forward, you can go to https://hikay.github.io/app/NOOTA.mobileconfig on your phone, and follow the instructions to install the profile. (This will subscribe you to beta updates for tvOS. Since none of these updates will be compatible with your iPhone, it will trick your phone into thinking there are no compatible updates available.)

ZeroX03

Banned
Affinity Photo looks phenomenal. Worth that price tag? I'm interested in some more professional grade software when I upgrade the iPad.

Speaking of photo apps, is there anything that can help me clean up my photo library, maybe something that can identify screenshots and other junk?

The plus models are just fine for quick editing. I don’t expect my phone to replace my cintiq, but I would like a more robust mobile workflow all the same. I’ll check out Affinity Photo.

If you're more interested in drawing features, you may want to check out Procreate Pocket which is tailored for the iPhone. I've only used the full Procreate on the iPad which is nice, so I can't personally vouch for Pocket and don't know if it meets your needs.

Affinity Photo looks phenomenal. Worth that price tag? I'm interested in some more professional grade software when I upgrade the iPad.

I'd say so. 20 bucks for a something approaching Photoshop on your iPad? Pretty good deal. There's also a Mac version, which is nice if you want to continue editing your documents on either platform with iCloud.

How is the music app so broken on this?

Have to reopen Spotify to change a song, and when using the native music app the top music bar doesn’t work either. What the hell?

My battery life has been a lot better today, yesterday it was terrible after upgrading.

iPhone SE btw.

RedAssedApe

Banned
same symptoms daily on my 5s. phone randomly starts getting slow and then phone starts getting extremely hot and then the phone stops responding all together to buttons presses and screen touches/swipes.

phone eventually either reboots or stops doing what it was doing to lock up the phone and starts working again. during that time i can't even hard power off the phone. ugh wtf

RPS37

How is the music app so broken on this?

Have to reopen Spotify to change a song, and when using the native music app the top music bar doesn’t work either. What the hell?
I don’t know what you’re talking about.

Managed to finally update over wi-fi . Shit seems slower.. :/

wachie

I've seen BGR and a few other websites talking about it (BGR is claiming battery performance on average is 60% worse).

All I know is my 6S Plus went from good battery life to abysmal. Now I'm nervous about jumping to the X which apparently won't even have comparable battery life to the Plus models...
Wow, why is there no big outcry on this?

Was having a lot of stuttering in safari and other apps would load very slow (kindle would seriously take like half a minute). Also had some wacky shit go on with the notification screen that all I could describe as would be a seizure. All on iPad Pro btw.

Clean wipe has fixed all of it.

Top Bottom