• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout Shelter |OT| Revolutionizing safety for an uncertain future

Amused

I guess port begging doesn't apply to mobile games?

Looks good, gonna download it when I get home.

In the OT it should at least.

Fun little game. Will probably loose interest pretty fast like I did with Sim Tower once upon a time in a different day and age. But so far so good.

Guys jeez enough with the iOS hate. It was the same with the iFruit App. I will turn up and it wont be long. Its because of the fragmentation I bet.

That's another good point. Gizmodo recently did a piece on how fragmented the Android landscape has gotten, which makes it tough for developers to effectively target where to put their time and effort for app development.

This puts into perspective how fragmented the marketplace is for Android, with each rectangle representing a different device running a tweaked version of Android.

gsn0eyxtile2pvw0h1rp.png

I don't envy anyone trying to make sense of targeting a wide swath of that.

Mitch

Banned
Gaining dwellers: I have 4 pregnant woman. It's been about an hour for most of them. 30 minutes for 1, IIRC. They should give birth within the next hour if what I read from previous posts in here is true.

I had one dweller show up at random. So I'm sitting at 13. Not sure what triggers more to arrive.

I'm playing this game on my ipad, and I can't see why Android users are so hung up. It's a very, very average game, attached to a big IP. That's it. Just wait and don't lose sleep missing out on this.

Meier

Couple quick questions for those who've played it for awhile: Any way to track the length of a pregnancy? And do I ever get the capability to move a room to a new location or do you always need to just destroy it and start over in that spot? Thanks!

Edit: Seems like it's 3 hours according to someone else... yikes! I guess I'll put these ladies to work then.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
The game drags after the first hour. Also clicking to collect power food etc is pants.

A few little tweaks could make this a great game.

Skux

Will this interact with Fallout 4 in any way? If not I don't see much point unless you really want the IP on all your devices.

It would be nice if you could harvest crafting materials from the app into the game or unlock some nice cosmetic goodies for your Fallout 4 settlement.

Relativ9

Am I the only one under the impression that iPhone are far more popular in the US then they are in the rest of the world? I'm European and it seems like roughly 80% of everyone I know use android phones. Up until now it was unfathomable to me that an app as potentially huge as this would be iOS exclusive.

Edit: oh, not an exclusive, goodie :)

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
Will this interact with Fallout 4 in any way? If not I don't see much point unless you really want the IP on all your devices.

It would be nice if you could harvest crafting materials from the app into the game or unlock some nice cosmetic goodies for your Fallout 4 settlement.

It doesn't but it could be a cool little game in its own right with some adjustments.

SigSig

Am I the only one under the impression that iPhone are far more popular in the US then they are in the rest of the world? I'm European and it seems like roughly 80% of everyone I know use android phones. Up until now it was unfathomable to me that an app as potentially huge as this would be iOS exclusive.

It most likely won't be exclusive. It's just a metric ton more work to build a game for Android.
All of these different screen sizes are much more manageable when producing something with a responsive layout, making a decent game for Android without having thousands of users complain about their device not being supported perfectly must be horror.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I like this game but it's really slow. Pregant women take forever to give birth, I was at 15 vault dwellers for aaaaages. Am I supposed to just leave it alone for a while or something? Does it go on in real-time even when I'm away? Strange thing.

The game is ok, I got bored pretty quickly though. Might go back in for more a little later but I can't see myself playing this for a long time

Gabe3208

Banned
q8oJawf.png

Dat timed exclusive!

Seriously though, this is stupid having to make others wait. Sometimes this industry just sucks balls.

FaintDeftone

Sucks that the app isn't on Android yet. Good thing my work phone is an iPhone but it's a 4S. Hopefully it'll run decently on it. Downloading it now.

Dat timed exclusive!

Seriously though, this is stupid having to make others wait. Sometimes this industry just sucks balls.

The fact that they can't come right out and say it is the worst part.

"It's not timed exclusive, it's just not out on Android yet." Gimme a break.

Been playing on iphone 5 for about an hour, it's rather good so far and runs at a good frame rate.

No energy timers is good, the lunch boxes you can also unlock doing the challenges/missions and they usually give you caps, rations and a rare piece of clothing, weapon or survivor with bonus skills.

Little tip, some survivors come with custom clothes on them which give extra stats (blue bars are from clothing) so you can always swap the clothing out with someone else to get better stacked stats for their job.

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
Question: So I have send two dwellers about an hour ago to the wasteland. Where do I check their progress and how do they come back? I can't find it anywhere...?

Or are they just death?

Vyer

Only just started, but fun so far. I guess the game isn't synced across devices though? :(

Edit: oh, not an exclusive, goodie :)

Pretty sure the iPhone is the best selling phone in many parts of the world. Plenty of low cost low end Android devices mixed with high end that help Android's 'market share' overall, though, but on the flip side that array of different devices and android skins seem to often be sited as a reason it takes longer to prepare an app for Android. Plus it seems apps on iOS often generate more income for devs. There are exceptions of course.

As far as gaming goes, iOS has always been the best option. That hasn't changed. Usually either better selection and first release. There's a disparity in the app stores in general, but it's far bigger and more obvious in gaming.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I just wish these challenges would update to what your current Vault looks like (I've got one objective "Collect 15 weapons" for 1 Lunch box, but I have 16 weapons before that objective even came up, frustrating).

OneUh8

Played this for about 45 minutes this morning. Fun little game. I can see myself playing this for little spurts like that.

OneUh8

Question: So I have send two dwellers about an hour ago to the wasteland. Where do I check their progress and how do they come back? I can't find it anywhere...?

Or are they just death?

If you click on the top left corner icon thingy, it will bring up a list of all your dwellers and their status. You can manage from there.

Meier

They've gotta figure out a way to balance this a little better I think. The amount of babysitting necessary is insane.. you come back and everything is red. I hope they can't starve to death..

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
That's another good point. Gizmodo recently did a piece on how fragmented the Android landscape has gotten, which makes it tough for developers to effectively target where to put their time and effort for app development.

This puts into perspective how fragmented the marketplace is for Android, with each rectangle representing a different device running a tweaked version of Android.

gsn0eyxtile2pvw0h1rp.png

I don't envy anyone trying to make sense of targeting a wide swath of that.

I guess I don't understand the problem. If you are using an engine like Unity you just build for android and then test on a few devices. We don't tweak our games on a device by device basis. Your HTC One gets the same game as a Galaxy S4 would. The base of android on those devices is still android and thus should be compatible with any game that is built for android OS.

You do have to target a minimum android OS version though. We are targeting one a few generations older than the current to allow older phones to run our games if they cannot upgrade.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
way to cater to apple and not your consumers...

wuh? A lot of people own an apple device.

Everybody relax, it'll come to Android eventually. It's not even that great of a game, chill out, geez. People playin' like Microsoft locked up Call of Duty or something

mamoui

So, the women of my vault have been pregnant for 8-10 hours. I'm i missimg something or is it just buged? Is the timer on when the app is closed?

Meier

max room width is 3 fyi

46csQgQ.jpg

Did you do something to allow for the third room to "merge"? I tried to do it with my water treatment based on the achievements and it didn't work. I guess I didn't try and then upgrade the third/unmerged room.. would that fix it?

Edit: Answered my own question.. if anyone encounters this as well, if you upgrade the adjacent room to be at the same quality level, they'll merge.

lil

So, the women of my vault have been pregnant for 8-10 hours. I'm i missimg something or is it just buged? Is the timer on when the app is closed?

Hmm, click on the number in the upper-left corner and check your vault capacity. If it's full the babies won't come.

Did you do something to allow for the third room to "merge"? I tried to do it with my water treatment based on the achievements and it didn't work. I guess I didn't try and then upgrade the third/unmerged room.. would that fix it?
That should fix it!! They all have to be the same level.

Finalow

thanks for the link OP, downloading the android version now~

give 'em some sugar bombs.

Hystzen

Looks at sales of iPhones and iOS devices....yeah it totally worth putting on android first lol. It should be open to both but obvious where main user base will be

Top Bottom