• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

I think offering Kurobas as omnibus kind of suggests that they thought it might be risky to try a sports title other than Haikyuu.
Yea I guess that could be a point, but wouldn't the performance of both Haikyu and Kuroko affect what's to come if they showed sports manga are selling well? Hopefully that's a yes, but like I said we don't really know yet.

Personally, I always thought they decided to go for a omnibus release because the manga was already over.

mdubs

Banned
Is that really the case anymore? We know Haikyu is doing well for VIZ because it charted in the NYT, but it's not like we have numbers to prove they are doing bad. IF Kodansha drops Welcome to the ballroom or if VIZ drops Kuroko maybe then, but right now we have really no way to tell.

Both Viz and Kodansha are unlikely to drop a shonen sports manga once it's started (based on past record for Viz, and current practice with Kodansha's other titles). Looking to see if something gets dropped though isn't a good indication - they only drops titles last resort because they are contractually bound to keep them going as much as possible. Look more to see if the release speed slows (ie. look at the way Kodansha has slowed the release speed for something like LDK or Real Account as an indiciation those titles are not selling well).

Also, as DTL said, Kuroko is omnibus because it is viewed as riskier. Additionally, we also know that none of its releases so far charted on NYT (Haikyu!! did for its first number of volumes).

I think the current strategy is to wait for an anime to build a fanbase (This is a shift from what they did before with Eyeshield and Whistle when they were trying to bring sports manga over and didn't do so hot). This makes it very unlikely they will take a chance with a golf manga (particularly if Kuroko is not lighting the sales charts up even with the benefit of a tremendously popular anime).

Tomo 505

ibgygGl.png

GASP

We Can't Study seems surprisingly decent enough to survive and fill the Nisekoi gap, yeah. Don't think Poro and U19 are going to last, tho.

if it's anything like Kuroko's Basketball, Robot x Laserbeam will probably be Dragonball Z golfing

I agree about We Can't Study. I can see its appeal. Haven't read Poro yet so I don't know about that one.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Prison School ch. 243

Not much for Dickiyoshi to (lol) about this chapter.

It does crack me up that going through Andre's shit and taking his bondage rope is a recurring issue. Dude needs to find a better place to put his sex toys than a desk drawer he already knows they look through.

Dio

Banned
Shitei Bouryoku Shoujo Shiomi-chan chapter 1

WHAT THE FUCK AM I READING.jpg

The author of Midori no Hibi does a manga where a 56 year old yakuza boss is turned into a little girl by a knockoff Black Jack.

I guess with Granblue, Youjo Senki etc. old man in a little girl's body is the new hotness.

Interspecies Reviewers 0.5

A bunch of interspecies guys discuss the appeal of interspecies girls. It's like a more diverse version of /mgg/, except not. I can't agree with the 'consensus' in this pilot chapter, but then I'd hope a majority of my fellow humans would say the same.

Mahou Shoujo Tokushuusen Asuka 10
Welp, guess you'll need to spend half your school life with your eyes closed then. Either that or have your memory eras- oh. On the plus side, Asuka joining the squad means that Kurumi can now play soldiers with her waifu. Not feeling particularly positive towards the US MG, but maybe she'll surprise me.

Conan-san

I think that Love Rush and Red Sprite's forthrightness with what was going on with their story is what sunk them, because they had nothing to follow any of that up with. In the case of Red Sprite, sure, the first chapter was entertaining, but a lot of us (as well as the readers in Japan) seemed to get sick of it when it became apparent that there wasn't substance to follow that up. Series that are better written know to leave stuff in the tank, and U19 looks to be doing that while giving us enough interesting stuff.
Playing hide-a-way with the conflict does not a good story make.

I mean hell, are you going to bash TPN for going "This is the conflict, go" in chapter 1?

Because U19 is fucking around. I didn't need 70 pages to not even get to "This is his [stand], it does this."

Playing hide-a-way with the conflict does not a good story make.

I mean hell, are you going to bash TPN for going "This is the conflict, go" in chapter 1?

Because U19 is fucking around. I didn't need 70 pages to not even get to "This is his [stand], it does this."

There is this thing called pacing, Neverland was perfectly paced that its first chapter gave us the right amount of set up before hitting us with the hook and giving us a lot to think about and be excited for in chapter 2. Red Sprite was paced way too fast and basically glossed over something that in most other shonen series would have been its own arc (tatsu learning how to use his powers and getting strong). RS simply crammed too much into its first chapter and it clearly caused a disconnect with the audience. Compare RS to a successful series in KnY, the latter took like 15 chapters to get to the same place RS got in 1.

U19 by comparison you can argue is perhaps paced too slowly, at the same time it has easily the most complicated world set up and the author has clearly focused on trying to make sure the audience really understands just how shitty and messed up this world is to show just how far someone has to be pushed to unlock their shonen powers. I feel u19 will similarly lose an audience as someone like you shows if the world doesn't hook them they're likely to bail. A 3 chapter set up -> escalation -> battle pacing worked well in a series like Jojo which I think is what u19 is going for but I dunno if you can get away with that kind of pacing in 2017.

cntr

Banned
Even Phantom Blood probably only survived because it caught some of that Fist of the North Star hype. And even then, it was Battle Tendency and then Stardust Crusaders that sealed the deal, not Phantom Blood.

Even Phantom Blood probably only survived because it caught some of that Fist of the North Star hype. And even then, it was Battle Tendency and then Stardust Crusaders that sealed the deal, not Phantom Blood.

Mhm, phantom blood doesn't even introduce the token shonen power (hamon) until volume 3! Volume 2 introduced the vampire powers mid way through but thats a long time to read about two snobby british kids who are at odds with each other.

cntr

Banned
Mhm, phantom blood doesn't even introduce the token shonen power (hamon) until volume 3! Volume 2 introduced the vampire powers mid way through but thats a long time to read about two snobby british kids who are at odds with each other.
To be fair, the manga does introduce the stone masks right at the beginning, even if it doesn't happen for a while.

But yeah I guess Phantom Blood somehow managed to coast on Dio's assholery for nearly 2 volumes

I'm liking U19 so far, though compared to Jojo's "bizzareness" this is more "insane"

Like, did you just pull a gun on a kid
dahell2.png

lol but yeah so far so good

Shengar

Dropping some of my random thought.

I usually despise any story, especially manga that relies to much on monologues to narrate its story. However I'm not bothered as such with Kumo desu ga, Nani ka, and it's quite strange when I think about. After put more thought into it, the reason is as simple as it just the most possible way to narrate story with the current plot structure. Though it's also helps that Spider-chan narrates her predicament normally. Outside some bad ones, even exposition monologues still come off naturally (and they can be easily skimmed over while retaining the general gist of the information). Kumo desu ga, Nani ka so far seems managed to avoid the trappings that plagued many LN especially the isekai one. First, it used "game" elements in rather meaningful way and not just comestic, and second, the character within the story, that is Spider-chan so far, narrates her story as a normal character would that is not nagging the reader with her (past) identity.

Speaking of that second trappings, I just realized this is what bugged me the most in both Risou no Himo Seikatsu and Youjo Senki. The main character of those manga is too often address themselves with moniker that only makes sense for a story blurb. It doesn't feel natural, and can be downright grating when the moniker accompanied with a noun. The reader constantly nagged by the author that keep telling us that this is the main character background. It is shit writing, and symptom of Japanese overeliance on archetype that have been degraded as the industry keeps churning low quality shits.

Ascheroth

There is this thing called pacing, Neverland was perfectly paced that its first chapter gave us the right amount of set up before hitting us with the hook and giving us a lot to think about and be excited for in chapter 2. Red Sprite was paced way too fast and basically glossed over something that in most other shonen series would have been its own arc (tatsu learning how to use his powers and getting strong). RS simply crammed too much into its first chapter and it clearly caused a disconnect with the audience. Compare RS to a successful series in KnY, the latter took like 15 chapters to get to the same place RS got in 1.

U19 by comparison you can argue is perhaps paced too slowly, at the same time it has easily the most complicated world set up and the author has clearly focused on trying to make sure the audience really understands just how shitty and messed up this world is to show just how far someone has to be pushed to unlock their shonen powers. I feel u19 will similarly lose an audience as someone like you shows if the world doesn't hook them they're likely to bail. A 3 chapter set up -> escalation -> battle pacing worked well in a series like Jojo which I think is what u19 is going for but I dunno if you can get away with that kind of pacing in 2017.
Red Sprite went through multiple arcs in its first 3 chapters.
You had the childhood -> power awakening -> training (glossed over with a timeskip) -> revenge (end of chapter 1)-> rescue arc (chapter 2) -> confrontation with the big bad -> set-up long term goals in rescuing the remaining kids (end of chapter 3).
It was exciting in a 'bombastic moment after bombastic moment' kind of way, but it set a momentum the mangaka just couldn't keep up with and he didn't give enough breathing room to let most things sink in.

Dropping some of my random thought.

I usually despise any story, especially manga that relies to much on monologues to narrate its story. However I'm not bothered as such with Kumo desu ga, Nani ka, and it's quite strange when I think about. After put more thought into it, the reason is as simple as it just the most possible way to narrate story with the current plot structure. Though it's also helps that Spider-chan narrates her predicament normally. Outside some bad ones, even exposition monologues still come off naturally (and they can be easily skimmed over while retaining the general gist of the information). Kumo desu ga, Nani ka so far seems managed to avoid the trappings that plagued many LN especially the isekai one. First, it used "game" elements in rather meaningful way and not just comestic, and second, the character within the story, that is Spider-chan so far, narrates her story as a normal character would that is not nagging the reader with her (past) identity.
Yeah, most shitty isekai have this weird first person narration that tries wayyyyy too hard to build a world as opposed to actually showing how the world works. It clearly feels like it's trying to explain the world to the reader but it forgets that they have pictures for that.

Meanwhile Kumo desu ga takes advantage of being a manga, Spider-chan's monologues are written like an actual thought process the character is having and not some wink wink nudge nudge explanation. It feels like a character who is talking to herself instead of talking to a fourth wall, and thus makes it far more engaging because it leads to developing the character's personality while there's action going on as opposed to being a glorified tour guide into magical RPG world #201231. It also helps that the main character isn't yet another 40 year old shut in virgin who hates himself and his life. NAI WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Red Sprite went through multiple arcs in its first 3 chapters.
You had the childhood -> power awakening -> training (glossed over with a timeskip) -> revenge (end of chapter 1)-> rescue arc (chapter 2) -> confrontation with the big bad -> set-up long term goals in rescuing the remaining kids (end of chapter 3).
It was exciting in a 'bombastic moment after bombastic moment' kind of way, but it set a momentum the mangaka just couldn't keep up with and he didn't give enough breathing room to let most things sink in.

I agree 100%, If you had told me the red sprite mangaka got a notice of cancelation before he wrote chapter 1 I would have believed it.

Ascheroth

Yeah, most shitty isekai have this weird first person narration that tries wayyyyy too hard to build a world as opposed to actually showing how the world works. It clearly feels like it's trying to explain the world to the reader but it forgets that they have pictures for that.

Meanwhile Kumo desu ga takes advantage of being a manga, Spider-chan's monologues are written like an actual thought process the character is having and not some wink wink nudge nudge explanation. It feels like a character who is talking to herself instead of talking to a fourth wall, and thus makes it far more engaging because it leads to developing the character's personality while there's action going on as opposed to being a glorified tour guide into magical RPG world #201231. It also helps that the main character isn't yet another 40 year old shut in virgin who hates himself and his life. NAI WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Nah, it's still just copying the WN/LN. It's just lucky that it was written that way to begin with.

cntr

Banned
Angel Densetsu 7 - 53 (read over the last week)

I was afraid this wouldn't live up to my memories of it, but...it totally does.

I forgot how good the art got.

Im the complete opposite; I got pretty bored real quick with Kumo because it was too insular for my tastes. I love how the MC isnt a suicidal neckbeard about to be rewarded with a harem but at the same time seeing MC practically play an empty MMO isnt the most exciting thing in the world

Reading from the beginning Angel Densetsu to the end of Claymore and seeing that art evolution is so inspiring
mjcry1.png

Peco

Insect Detective Yoshida Yoshimi 01
A private eye who can talk to animals specialized in insect cases.
The fact that this masterpiece isn't getting translated regularly bring copious tears to my eyes.

dramatis

January 2017 Recommendation: Hanada Shounen-shi

Supernatural dramedy | 4 volumes, Completed work
A little bumpkin kid by the name of Hanada Ichiro gets into all kinds of mischief until things take a turn for the nasty. Trying to escape the wrath of his enraged mother, he gets in an accident, resulting in nine stitches on the back of his head, and one little side-effect: a knack for the supernatural. Young Ichiro is now able to communicate with ghosts, who just can't get off his back with all kinds of requests.​
striferser: i've read this to completetion around 1999, one of the best manga i've ever read.

Zweizer

Banned
Huh, did not expect that one to get the spotlight.

When are you going to put one of my less SFW recs in the monthly recommendation, dramatis~?

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
January 2017 Recommendation: Hanada Shounen-shi

Supernatural dramedy | 4 volumes, Completed work
A little bumpkin kid by the name of Hanada Ichiro gets into all kinds of mischief until things take a turn for the nasty. Trying to escape the wrath of his enraged mother, he gets in an accident, resulting in nine stitches on the back of his head, and one little side-effect: a knack for the supernatural. Young Ichiro is now able to communicate with ghosts, who just can't get off his back with all kinds of requests.​
striferser: i've read this to completetion around 1999, one of the best manga i've ever read.

Yes!
It's from the author of Piano no Mori, so it's good .

So what's the popular/acclaimed manga everyone's reading that doesn't have an adaptation yet?
Dungeon Meshi, Hinamatsuri, and Kaguya wants to be confessed.

Year, the earlier volume art is really bad.

Talking about bad art evolving to good art...

Planetes vol.1 omnibus

Makoto Yukimura (Vinland saga) earlier work. A tales about space debris collector. It's a SF slice of life about space exploration, and the author clearly did his research on this one. Not saying it is the most realistic series ever when there's a scene where one of the charactwr crash her plane into terrorist plane to save earth. Don't be expecting vinland saga high quality artwork on the earlier chapter, because damn it looks bad and flat. He improve his art on the later chapter though.

I like it and can't wait to buy the next volume.

When are you going to put one of my less SFW recs in the monthly recommendation, dramatis~?
Ohyou.jpg

So what's the popular/acclaimed manga everyone's reading that doesn't have an adaptation yet?

Mine are all fringe LN adaption rubbish, and manga that people have forgotten for the last decade. Though as most people have said Dungeon Meshi is something I look forward to.. as well as the new Mahouka Koukou No Rettousei movie....

Conan-san

Evidently not. The world of U19 isn't good enough to hang onto three weeks to get boots to ass.

dramatis

I probably should have saved it for October

The OP gotta be SFW

There was a moment where I considered leaving a note saying "Even though it is a Zweizer review it's actually not a typical Zweizer read"

Vinland Saga
Vagabond
Yotsuba!
Otoyomegatari
Dorohedoro
Hinamatsuri
Tomo-chan
14-sai no Koi
Wakabayashi Toshiya's 4-koma Collection (but we will have Tsurezure Children soon)
Alice in Hell
Wandering Emanon
Kimi wa Midara na Boku no Joou
Most of Gunmm and Gunmm Last Order
Real
Historie
Oyasumi Punpun
My Girl
Shin Angyo Onshi
I Am a Hero
Billy Bat

Kurita

Vinland Saga
Vagabond
Yotsuba!
Otoyomegatari
Dorohedoro
Hinamatsuri
Tomo-chan
14-sai no Koi
Wakabayashi Toshiya's 4-koma Collection (but we will have Tsurezure Children soon)
Alice in Hell
Wandering Emanon
Kimi wa Midara na Boku no Joou
Most of Gunmm and Gunmm Last Order
Real
Historie
Oyasumi Punpun
My Girl
Shin Angyo Onshi
I Am a Hero
Billy Bat

Well, I Am A Hero got a movie.

And really, a live-action movie/drama is the highest of honors! :kurita
The manga Nigeru wa Haji da ga Yaku ni Tatsu got a drama adaptation last year and it was a social phenomenon. The theme song was the most popular song of 2016, they had a dance that everybody knew... Insane. Every week I was talking about the latest episode with my college friends.

Peco

Criminale
Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san
Yugami-kun ni wa Tomodachi ga Inai

I'm not sure if these are that popular in Japan but I can still see them getting a nice anime adaption.

EDIT: oh wait, you were referring to popular series in this thread? lf that's the case, sorry, no idea.

Zweizer

Banned
Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch505

How rude!

Their Story ch123

Happy Valentine~

Sun Jing gonna Sun Jing of course, lol.

Kingdom ch507

Damn, that's pretty impressive of the big bro.

Elf-san wa Yaserarenai. ch3

Mero is pretty fun (though so are most "stereotypical kansai accent" characters). Let's hope she'll keep making waves~

Well, too bad I'm not too fond of fish.

Koi wa Ameagari no You ni ch24

I wonder if she's planning anything.

Top Bottom