• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL February 2017 |OT| Alternative Stats

Weevilone

Anyone else that is sick of either their team's play by play, or color guys?

I'm to the point in St. Louis where I need to listen to the radio broadcast while I watch on TV. JK is great, but I can't listen to Pang anymore. He's fine in little bits, but he has like 5 catch phrases that he repeats over and over every night. And the critical parts of the action are lost to him. Shattenkirk misplayed a puck last night, Panthers score a short-side goal. Pang doesn't talk about why the goal actually occurred, but goes on a 5 minute rant about goalie pants, and why the old pants would have saved it...

But to listen to the radio broadcast means watching live, and I always watch delayed if I'm not at the game.

imBask

Banned
also Red you shouldn't listen to any Montreal radio or media for the next week. Galchenyuk is getting torn. the. fuck. apart.

people are REALLY mad he took a vacation instead of catching up after his injury. Also yesterday they asked Beaulieu if he trained at all during the break and he said no, Galchenyuk hesitated and said he kinda skated one day and dodged the question... they were together...

imBask

Banned
Trading him would be a mistake, but the criticism is valid. He's nowhere near 100% and it shows, and his buddy Radulov was training all week, the professional decision would've been to stay here and do some overtime instead of going to florida to play skee-ball with his fucking dumbass friend who's also playing terribly

I really hope Claude Julien can get his ass on track

Solo

Trading him would be a mistake, but the criticism is valid. He's nowhere near 100% and it shows, and his buddy Radulov was training all week, the professional decision would've been to stay here and do some overtime

Agreed on all parts. BUT I do think Bergevin is dumb enough to flip him in a Duchene deal. I truly do. He cannot be trusted as far as I'm concerned.

As for AGally....something has definitely not been right post-injury. He was playing his best hockey of his career between the last 25 games of last season and the first 25 of this season. Post injury....eh. Firstly I wonder if he's really healthy yet or not. He's never been a great skater, it's his worst facet of his game, but he's even slower and more lethargic post injury. But I can forgive that. Hopefully that comes back after a full offseason to heal and train. He's young, he'll get the stamina back. And honestly I don't really give too many shits about faceoffs. That can be taught and he'll get better there.

My 2 real concerns post injury though are his defensive play and compete level. He's never been a great defender, but he was doing decently in those 50 games I'd mentioned. For whatever reason he's regressed HARD in his own end since coming back. Hopefully Julien can correct that. The bigger concern for me is the compete level. I'm seeing shades of post knee injury Cammalleri out there. After Cammalleri had his knee injury in Montreal, you never saw him go into the dirty areas again and was so weak on the puck, like he was playing scared of further injury. I'm seeing that from AGally too since his return. I don't think I've seen him win a puck battle, or appear to try to, since returning.

imBask

Banned
Agreed on all parts. BUT I do think Bergevin is dumb enough to flip him in a Duchene deal. I truly do. He cannot be trusted as far as I'm concerned.

As for AGally....something has definitely not been right post-injury. He was playing his best hockey of his career between the last 25 games of last season and the first 25 of this season. Post injury....eh. Firstly I wonder if he's really healthy yet or not. He's never been a great skater, it's his worst facet of his game, but he's even slower and more lethargic post injury. But I can forgive that. Hopefully that comes back after a full offseason to heal and train. He's young, he'll get the stamina back. And honestly I don't really give too many shits about faceoffs. That can be taught and he'll get better there.

My 2 real concerns post injury though are his defensive play and compete level. He's never been a great defender, but he was doing decently in those 50 games I'd mentioned. For whatever reason he's regressed HARD in his own end since coming back. Hopefully Julien can correct that. The bigger concern for me is the compete level. I'm seeing shades of post knee injury Cammalleri out there. After Cammalleri had his knee injury in Montreal, you never saw him go into the dirty areas again and was so weak on the puck, like he was playing scared of further injury. I'm seeing that from AGally too since his return. I don't think I've seen him win a puck battle, or appear to try to, since returning.

My real concern right now is that the Seguin comparison might actually be a good one. Seguin probably wouldn't have exploded the way he did if he had stayed in Boston, some of these guys need a trade to wake up and start taking things seriously. The problem is, you always lose by trading them

Solo

That would be a nightmare for me to trade AGally and have him beast out elsewhere. An actual nightmare. But it's such a Habs/Bergevin thing to do, so I feel like it's inevitable.

imBask

Banned
again I don't know where you're pulling that from considering it never happened in the 5 years Bergevin has been here

unless you're a delusional Eller fanboy

Solo

again I don't know where you're pulling that from considering it never happened in the 5 years Bergevin has been here

unless you're a delusional Eller fanboy

It's a Habs thing to do because they've run lots of young talent out of town who blossomed elsewhere ala John Leclair

It's a Bergevin thing to do because he doesn't like players who are opulent ala Subban and AGally

yyzjohn

Banned
That would be a nightmare for me to trade AGally and have him beast out elsewhere. An actual nightmare. But it's such a Habs/Bergevin thing to do, so I feel like it's inevitable.

Julien was also the coach when Boston decided they could punt Seguin out right before he became a huge star. Would be funny in a bad way if he's the coach and they do the same to AGally.

imBask

Banned
It's a Habs thing to do because they've run lots of young talent out of town who blossomed elsewhere ala John Leclair

It's a Bergevin thing to do because he doesn't like players who are opulent ala Subban and AGally

the Leclair trade happened 22 years ago granpa, get over it

imBask

Banned
There's plenty of examples in Habs history of this. Anyways, we'll see, but I won't be shocked if either AGally is traded in February or signs an offer sheet in July.

well, right now i'd rather have space to sign Radulov than pay Galchenyuk the 7M he's going to ask

i'm also excited to talk about Price next year, and suddenly turn into a "price hater" because I don't believe in $12M goalies no matter how great they are

@MapleLeafs have recalled Frederik Gauthier from Marlies; Marner on IR

Wonder what their doing with Ben Smith.

A marginal upgrade honestly but at least we'll complain less.

The Leafs are wearing these bad boys March 18th:

3h9NZbE.jpg

yyzjohn

Banned
A marginal upgrade honestly but at least we'll complain less.

The Leafs are wearing these bad boys March 18th:

3h9NZbE.jpg

They've worn the St. Pats outfit in the past, I really think they should have given the Toronto Arenas outfit a go this time since that was the name of the team in 1917. Would have been fitting for the 100 year anniversary.

calder

Those St. Pats throwbacks are pretty good, I'm always a sucker for replicas of really old kit versus something kinda dated the team had in the 90's.

Wonder how the Jets will play tonight. They have played pretty good hockey 3 games in a row now (with 2 wins) and that seems to be their absolute limit. With the bye week coming after tonight I'm half-dreading a "last exhibition game before the regular season starts" lack of effort.

And with Trouba's suspension I won't be shocked if Buff will hit 40 minutes tonight.

calder

Oh come on, I'm seeing actual articles pretending the Jets are in a playoff race again. Stupid fucking points system allowing 95% of the league to pretend they are 'within striking distance!' of a playoff spot, and fuck the media that has to pretend everyone is still in it until March.

Jets need to sell off a couple of expensive veteran players - not for the return but simply to clear them out before their decline really kicks in. I just pray that Chevy can read the "games played" column when he checks the standing and reacts accordingly.

raw

Socreges

Banned
Oh come on, I'm seeing actual articles pretending the Jets are in a playoff race again. Stupid fucking points system allowing 95% of the league to pretend they are 'within striking distance!' of a playoff spot, and fuck the media that has to pretend everyone is still in it until March.

Jets need to sell off a couple of expensive veteran players - not for the return but simply to clear them out before their decline really kicks in. I just pray that Chevy can read the "games played" column when he checks the standing and reacts accordingly.

raw
The two-game winning streak has transformed the Jets into a contender, calder. Don't be modest.

Only downside to Panthers winning is Rowe has suddenly become the gospel for coaching. Team needs a good coach and not some guy who could barely tread water in the KHL.

calder

The two-game winning streak has transformed the Jets into a contender, calder. Don't be modest.

Hopefully we have a 'contender' moment soon and lose 10-0 to slap some reality into that segment of the fanbase that always assumes a nine game winning streak is just around the corner.

Preferably not tonight though. We desperately need to string some L's again and I'm absolutely sure this team can do that if nothing else but I'd prefer a close fought regulation loss tonight. :p

Here's a post from HF talking about the 360 VR thing Sportsnet and Molson are doing:

I watched most of the Flames-Canucks game last night with my phone and a cheap VR headset I picked up. Some thoughts:

- They had 3 cameras setup. One at centre ice above the penalty box and two at the top of the glass behind the nets.

- During the 1st period they would change between the cameras depending on where the play was but for the 2nd and 3rd they pretty much left it at the centre ice camera.

- One of the cameras behind one of the nets was delayed more than the rest so when they switched to/from it, the play would jump forward/back. Maybe that's why they stopped switching after the 1st.

- The feed was as if you were actually there. There was no commentary and no commercial breaks.

- The quality was ok. I have a pretty new phone so I think the quality can be better especially compared to the 360 VR videos from Youtube. I think they need to get the video at least to 60 fps and higher quality before it becomes more real.

- When they left the play to the camera at centre ice, it was tough to see what was happening in the far end of the ice. They need to have someway where either the viewer can switch between camera angles by himself or offer smoother transitions somehow.

Overall, it's not bad for a first effort. I'll probably try watching another game or two again. I think it would really shine during the playoffs where you'd get the full atmosphere from the rink.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showpost.php?p=128367241&postcount=21

Line_HTX

raw

Laine is within striking distance of knocking Matthews off the ROTY award.

imBask

Banned
it's probably a "you can ask for a trade all you want, nobody wants you" message, clearing waivers twice should be enough to shut him up

Top Bottom