• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thor 3: Ragnarok Review Thread

?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Looks great, but I typically can't even sit through a Marvel movie. Last I saw was Dr. Strange on Netflix, which I had to watch in 2 sittings. Before that, was Capt. America Winter Soldier.

I tried Age of Ultron and Civil War, but lost interest inside of 20 mins on both.

will this movie even make sense to me without the context of the previous movies?

I watched the IGN video review and they also say it goes for the gags a lot and that is its strength and weakness at the same time. They say when big dramatic moments happen they just feel weightless.

But at least it sounds better than Dark World. Quite easily accomplished.

I hope Hela is not a one off character. please let her show up again in Infinity War.

Agree. Since Cate Blanchett was announced as Hela i hoped she gonna play the Death part of the MCU.

Also it makes it more realistic because who wouldnt destroy the universe for Cate Blanchett.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I feel like reviewers have been put on a spell when it comes to the Marvel movies. Homecoming was such a vacuous, middling movie and reviewers fawned all over it. Iron Man 2 would be hailed today for its fun, comedic take.

If by spell you mean just making good movies that critics and general audiences like, then yeah, they put that spell where they hire great directors, writers and actors for their movies. I wish more studios did that.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Looks great, but I typically can't even sit through a Marvel movie. Last I saw was Dr. Strange on Netflix, which I had to watch in 2 sittings. Before that, was Capt. America Winter Soldier.

I tried Age of Ultron and Civil War, but lost interest inside of 20 mins on both.

will this movie even make sense to me without the context of the previous movies?

Sadly we are no magicians or fortune teller who have seen the movie two weeks in advance. Sorry.

Blobbers

So we've gone from "why are people putting trust in Taika Waititi, what has he ever made?" from the impressions thread, to "ever since the mediocre Spider-Man Homecoming scored highly on RT, I cannot trust reviewers when it comes to marvel movies"

whew

Einchy

This is all the context you need.

In Age of Ultron, Hulk got brainwashed and went berserk for a bit. Banner felt remorse because of that, got on a plane and no one has seen him since.

In Thor 2, Loki escapes from his prison and starts impersonating Odin, who is Thor and Loki's dad, no one knows Loki is doing this at the end of Thor 2.

During Age of Ultron, Thor has some visions that something is gonna happen in Asgard, so at the end of that movie, he leaves to check that out. He hasn't been seen since.

This movie shows us what they've been doing since leaving in Age of Ultron.

HeySeuss

From what I've heard, this doesn't really advance the over arcing MCU plot for future films all that much and is pretty much a stand alone film. Although depending on how well they explain Hulk being in space, knowing the ending of Ultron would be helpful and maybe Thor 2 to know about the Loki/Odin dynamic. Otherwise you should be ok.

So we've gone from "why are people putting trust in Taika Waititi, what has he ever made?" from the impressions thread, to "ever since the mediocre Spider-Man Homecoming scored highly on RT, I cannot trust reviewers when it comes to marvel movies"

whew

The goalposts will always move, but Marvel always stays winning.

Hero

Excited to see this one, I think the lessons learned from GotG helped them figure out what they could do with Thor to make him successful.

Magwik

Banned
I watched the IGN video review and they also say it goes for the gags a lot and that is its strength and weakness at the same time. They say when big dramatic moments happen they just feel weightless.

But at least it sounds better than Dark World. Quite easily accomplished.
So it's more of GoTG2 then

LotusHD

Banned

whew

Lmao, the BP thread will be a delight

This is all the context you need.

In Age of Ultron, Hulk got brainwashed and went berserk for a bit. Banner felt remorse because of that, got on a plane and no one has seen him since.

In Thor 2, Loki escapes from his prison and starts impersonating Odin, who is Thor and Loki's dad, no one knows Loki is doing this at the end of Thor 2.

During Age of Ultron, Thor has some visions that something is gonna happen in Asgard, so at the end of that movie, he leaves to check that out. He hasn't been seen since.

This movie shows us what they've been doing since leaving in Age of Ultron.

I'd add Thor visits with Doctor Strange briefly about Loki being on Earth.

Rvaan

Banned
Lmao, the BP thread will be a delight

When that movie does well I'm walking in the thread like this
tumblr_orb7iezWku1rtels1o3_540.gif

Elandyll

Banned
Looks great!

I've also read in my mind the Variety review using Jim Sterling's aristocratic voice from Commentocracy, and it's hilarious.

overcast

I mean it doesn't surprise me for one second that this movie is reviewing well. Every MCU movie does because of the standard and efficient rate at which they are produced.

That being said these reviews are giving me that much hype as they sound exactly what I expected. Joke a minute superhero flick with little stakes.

Mihos

Gold Member

It doesn't sound like you should even bother, honestly.

Einchy

People can truly care about different things going into a movie.

People don't care about comedy in a comedy film, you silly goose.

I can't wait for Spatula's literal hundreds of posts in the Thor 3 thread nitpicking literally every single thing he can think of.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

whew
Who was shitting on Taika?

People can truly care about different things going into a movie.

Joke factory doesn't paint it well. Good comedies have more than just jokes and are usually anchored by some kind of emotional core that makes you care about the characters because without the characters the jokes won't be memorable or as well received.

Movies aren't stand-up. Even for all the jokes in the MCU, the big draw has never been the jokes and the jokes are the least memorable about it.

People don't care about comedy in a comedy film, you silly goose.

I can't wait for Spatula's literal hundreds of posts in the Thor 3 thread nitpicking literally every single thing he can think of.

Movie is sitting at 100% on RottenTomatoes with an average of 7.7 using a total of 31 reviews. Some shit is uuuuup.

Einchy

Joke factory doesn't paint it well. Good comedies have more than just jokes and are usually anchored by some kind of emotional core that makes you care about the characters because without the characters the jokes won't be memorable or as well received.

Movies aren't stand-up. Even for all the jokes in the MCU, the big draw has never been the jokes and the jokes are the least memorable about it.

Movie is sitting at 100% on RottenTomatoes with an average of 7.7 using a total of 31 reviews. Some shit is uuuuup.

yIOHAcFl.jpg

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

Have you ever seen a Waititi film before?

Top Bottom