• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thor 3: Ragnarok Review Thread

?

Results are only viewable after voting.

SilentRob

It's the most fun I've had with a Marvel movie. It's funnier than Guardians, has better action than Civil War and it's so.fucking.colorful! It even has a good soundtrack! A Marvel movie! With a good Soundtrack!

It's a straight-up comedy and I can already see quite a few people not being OK with that but I loved every single minute of it. ANd yes, I aboslutely did care about the characters. This movie had the most captivating side characters I can remember for a Marvel movie. Saying much more would spoil the movie but Tessa Thompson is fucking amazing in this.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
It's the most fun I've had with a Marvel movie. It's funnier than Guardians, has better action than Civil War and it's so.fucking.colorful! It even has a good soundtrack! A Marvel movie! With a good Soundtrack!

It's a straight-up comedy and I can already see quite a few people not being OK with that but I loved every single minute of it. ANd yes, I aboslutely did care about the characters. This movie had the most captivating side characters I can remember for a Marvel movie. Saying much more would spoil the movie but Tessa Thompson is fucking amazing in this.

VV3QkCg.gif

Joke factory doesn't paint it well. Good comedies have more than just jokes and are usually anchored by some kind of emotional core that makes you care about the characters because without the characters the jokes won't be memorable or as well received.

Movies aren't stand-up. Even for all the jokes in the MCU, the big draw has never been the jokes and the jokes are the least memorable about it.

I don't see where it's said that the characters are completely flat. Honestly, if it is this hilarious as people are saying, then it probably is because the characters are well defined and bounce off each other.

And sure, the main draw of the MCU is the superheroics, but the goofy nature of superheroics does allow for those jokes, and for the jokes to be memorable moments.

Ant-Man's best moments are comedic, some of the most memorable of both Guardians is the comedy.

No need to fear it.

Hagi

It's a straight-up comedy and I can already see quite a few people not being OK with that but I loved every single minute of it.

It being a straight up comedy isn't a deal breaker but it does dampen my excitement somewhat.

HeySeuss

It's a straight-up comedy and I can already see quite a few people not being OK with that but I loved every single minute of it.

It's not a dark comedy? I thought it was supposed to be comedic but quite dark?

Not that it matters much because this looks amazing and I can't wait for it.

Oooh, now I can't WAIT for this movie.

People seriously need to watch Hunt for the Wilderpeople if they need proof that Taika can do a really jokey movie that has a powerful emotional core. Few movies have made me laugh and cry as hard.

- J - D -

You probably should have been prepared for that when they hired a comedy director

I think you're actually underselling what Taika has achieved in the past while also being unfair to directors like the Russo Bros, who originally came from comedy tv but somehow turned in the most earnest MCU movie to date.

EGM1966

Had zero interest in Thor movies because I'm afraid to say the idea really is too preposterous and silly for me. Sounds like this one might be for me though: played for laughs, Goldbloom, top tier cast hamming it up, colourful and straight up acknowledging it's silly. Even trailers appealed and had me chuckling.

LotusHD

Banned

Yesss

Donos

For me this is a clear sign that thanos is going to wreck fools and IW is going to be a bit more toned down and serious.

I think you're actually underselling what Taika has achieved in the past while also being unfair to directors like the Russo Bros, who originally came from comedy tv but somehow turned in the most earnest MCU movie to date.

Russo Brothers

I was. I love What We Do in the Shadows but was hoping for something more balanced. As I said though it's not like it's a deal breaker.
Fair! I'll hold my hands up and say I forgot the Russo Brothers. Reed and McKay to an extent too.

Just echoing the reviews.

Echo this

Daffy Duck

Sums it up nicely.

Neoxon

You're getting me hyped here, man.

eizarus

Banned
I'll definitely watch this in cinema, but I'm a bit disappointed that the humour seems to be so prevelant considering it's a movie about Ragnarok. I think The Winter Soldier hit the nail on the head when it came to balancing humour and seriousness (Spider-Man was pretty good at it too. Really good actually).

JB1981

Seems like they just Guardians of the Galaxied the shit out of this series and that formula is working for a lot of critics

Bronx-Man

Banned
Homecoming so far was the funniest MCU movie for me. I think it’s because most of the humor is dark/sardonic while the rest of the MCU is more slapstick.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
lol, people still falling for Subpar Post eh Spatula. Just put him on ignore, he just comes to troll anyway.
Dont waste your time on subpar posts on the Internet.

lol, people still falling for Subpar Post eh Spatula. Just put him on ignore, he just comes to troll anyway.
Dont waste your time on subpar posts on the Internet.

These threads aren't complete without him. Halfway wanna take him off ignore so I can enjoy the ridiculousness.

EGM1966

Do you watch any superhero films then?
Sure but far from all. Nolan's Batman I have a lot of time for (although guess he's not a superhero), I liked Ant Man (another comedy though that had fun with its silliness) and I like Reeves first Superman movie. I liked first two Spider-Man films particularly the second which was excellent. Third lost its way and because pretty silly. I enjoy a solid superhero film but their silliness is often lurking waiting to undermine my suspension of disbelief and they need to stand out in other ways for me. I liked Winter Soldier (apart from dumb CGI finale) too as well as Wonder Woman (although TBH the no mans land section wobbled for me but was saved by its honest earnestness). It was pretty silly though but worth it for the core performances which were very good. But yeah a superhero flick better have something more than CGI action to hold my attention. Oh Doc Strange was good too.

But I'm not the target demographic: although as noted this Thor looks like it could be a lot of fun.

I agree with the general criticism that a lot of Marvel movies (not all, but a lot) are afraid to let a dramatic beat linger and end up undercutting them with a joke second later. Becoming an outright comedy first and foremost is a completely acceptable solution to this, I think.

Top Bottom