• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Try to explain to me WoW vanilla

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
The raid boss mechanics were incredibly simple compared to today's raid bosses (heck, they're simple compared to today's dungeon bosses), but trying to find and coordinate 40 well-geared players was a pain in the ass.

It was common for particular bosses to straight up destroy guilds because people couldn't get past them. Razorgore, Vaelastrasz, and C'Thun as examples.

rackham

Banned
Also, having a Warlock in your group was almost necessary or at the very least, preferred.

You HAD to travel the dungeon. There was no summoning stone or LFG option so everyone had to make their way there on foot/mount/flight path- UNLESS you had a warlock who would travel there with two other people so they could summon you.

This was very useful if you had an entire group except a tank or healer, who were pretty hard to come by because gear for those classes were hard to find. You would have to have someone in a main city spamming trade chat and look for a tank or healer.

If you had one person looking for them then you could have the rest of the group travel to the dungeon with the Warlock ready to summon.

If you had a raid, lol. Forget about it. A warlock was absolutely necessary to summon 30+ other people.

Never played post-Cataclysm, don't intend to. Sounds like a different game altogether, my memories don't need to be tarnished with what they've done to it.

Sp3ratus

Neo Member
It's the same as SWG. A lot of people blame the NGE, but it happened much sooner once the tone of the game changed with the Jedi revamp. WoW, once Battlegrounds got put it. PvP became instanced and it was the downfall. Adding in queuing from cities, Arena PvP, and flying mounts just killed it more each time.

I miss SWG very much too. Even NGE.

Not to derail the thread, but being a bounty hunter and going after Jedi in SWG pre-NG was one of the best gaming experiences of my life.

Jolkien

I remember getting Sulfuras the game first legendary on my shaman and then having a team of healer backing me up in battle ground. Any class wearing clothes or leather were getting one shotted with a good windfury (up to 3 extra attack on one swing) proc through power word shield.

It was a good experience at the time but I wouldn't put up with it these days. The balance was terrible.

A lot of MMO magic can't be replicated of you miss the original launch until I'd say swtorthen they mostly all went generic imo.

Rhoc

For me it felt like what it must feel like to be addicted to heroin. Game was more important for me than friends, school and sleep. I hope I never encounter such a brilliant addicting game in my life again. And i was not the only one who had that problem i know that for a fact.

A legacy Vanilla/launch BC server is something I've always wanted to get into and play but I always figured if I did one it would break the illusion I had of what the game used to be when I stopped after a decade right around Pandas

KodaRuss

I was a guild leader and MT for a raiding guild for a little while and damn it was a lot of fun but there were some really painful things about the game.

We upgraded to ventrillo from Teamspeak and everyone was like wow thats what you really sound like.

Getting 40 people coordinated and online at the same time was very tough sometimes. First time we took out Lucifron (first MC boss) we only had 29 people. I felt bad for warlocks having to summon people constantly at the entrances.

The gold was a killer in the game, you could never have enough. Repairing equipment was just about the most disheartening thing in the game.

Craziest thing I ever saw was our MC raid got bugged somehow and a Night Elf got stuck in our instance (We were Horde).

Onyxia (Raid Boss) was a bugged fucking mess for us. First time we killed her she got stuck in the north wall of the arena and couldnt move. I still dont think I ever knew a clear way to avoid her deep breath.

-Mikey-

I fondly remember when Ally and Horde guilds had reputation on their own side and for the realm. I specifically remember an instance when the best geared and known shaman went out solo to take on a smallish group of alliance dudes.

They backed up as he made his way to them.

I loved the difficulty and diversity of those original end game dungeons. The five man and the smaller 10-15 man groups for things like UBRS.

What was it like!? By Community standards, what's the biggest change you've seen from vanilla to now. Also how was the economy and the feeling of doing the raid for the first time. ? To name a few

What was it like? For its time it certainly felt more like a natural world then any MMO I had played to date. At the point when this game out the WoW quest system was a revolution, many games before it just had you grind mobs down over and over again to gain levels, making quests gave the world and its characters life and although the quests were generally basic they rewarded you with big boosts of exp and new gear so you always felt like you were growing your character as you played and they also helped to guide your character along a natural path for progression as you leveled.

The biggest change is the simplification of the game, the original game was fairly complicated compared to now. Every level past 10 you'd get a talent point and you'd have talent trees to be able to slightly upgrade your character every level. Now you get talents every 15 levels which certainly have bigger effects but theres a reason people miss the old talent trees, sure it was easy enough for people to post what the 'best' build was for each class and what not but that still didn't stop people from at least trying to do some interesting things. Not vanilla specifically but the old talent system brought out things like Shockadins, Fan of Kniving Rogues, Rogue tanks, ect. There was some crazy things you could do, many were unfortunately nerfed but a few of the ideas lived on.

It wasn't just talents though you used to have various resistance on gear and would need specific types of gear for raiding generally several sets among other things. World PVP was also pretty big with epic fights between Southshore and Tarren Mill in one of the first areas where horde and alliance shared a zone, fly points were the only good means of travel, You got your first mount at level 40 which only had a 60% speed increase but it felt like you could go anywhere with a 100% speed mount at 60 which as other said was crazy expensive. Now you can get a mount at level 20 for all players but theres also a Bind on Account mount you could get that lets you use a mount at level 1.

Speaking as a Rogue its one of the biggest that was changed in terms of class mechanics. We used to be able to disable traps, find locked boxes out in the open to pick and raise our personal lock-picking skill, then you had poisons which we had to craft instead of being an instant ability that they eventually came and then they just stopped using them for some of the specs in the current game. Rogues were also able to completely wreck people in 1v1 pvp with stunlocking which frustrated the hell out of players and really started a meme about people hating Rogues. Also class quests, you got a lot of abilities this way and depending on the class you at times had to travel all around the world to complete them.

Pretty much the entire game is dramatically different then it used to be, in both good and bad ways.

The one thing that people do seem to forget a lot of the time about vanilla though was that... the game was completely fucking broken almost all of the time. Server disconnects, lag, ect. were more constant then you might think, then you had various classes that had specs with abilities that didn't work as intended others had entire specs that just were not viable and you couldn't get a group because you weren't the right spec. Certain bosses didn't work properly or would glitch out and be damn well near impossible to kill, ect. The game had a LOT of issues looking back on it...

But it was still so damn amazing for its time. It felt rewarding to level and earning that first mount at 40 really felt like a right of passage. Each class really felt like it had its own identity Rogues had its own skills and professions that no one else had and each class had their own unique twist in that way. The game was much less grindy then many other MMO's of its era but at the same time it never felt easy, you'd need to group up to get many quests done in order to complete a zone and actually know how to play your character to complete even some of the earlier dungeons.

I think the best way to say it is that the game really did reward you for the time you put into it... but it still demanded a hell of a lot of that time.

Modern WoW is just to easy. You queue into groups and generally just run through the dungeon without ever really having to try, you queue for a raid and can auto attack and let everyone else do the work and generally not even be at risk of dying in most cases, ect. Legion had some good ideas and some great effort put behind it but the game evolving as it did ended up losing a lot of what made it so fun in the first place as they added all of these new quality of life changes. The group finder was a great and useful tool but it also caused a lot of problems because some people just flat out suck at playing their class or even understanding basic concepts (like don't stand in fire) and this caused people to endlessly complain about how 'difficult' dungeons were, which in turn made Blizzard cave and nerf dungeons to the point where now they provide no challenge even in a party that just hit max level. Then you have Raid finder which I like the idea behind (giving a chance for everyone to see raid content) but same kind of thing, if anything was even remotely difficult the playerbase would whine and complain until Blizzard nerfed it making it so you don't even need to remotely learn any mechanic to complete it which is just stupid and not at all what the raid experience is.

ZealousD

You didn't have dual-spec back in those days, either. So if you were a Priest in a raid guild, speccing Shadow was basically out of the question. You resigned yourself to healing. You'd have main tanks specced into Arms because Protection was laughably useless for damage/PVP and the hit in tanking ability wasn't even that bad.

You could respec but that shit cost 50g which was a lot back in those days. Trying to do something like respeccing before every raid or PVP would have been completely out of the question unless you had access to guild funds or something.

Honestly, it was kinda shite.

WoW was seen at the time as the eZmode mmo, mostly because other mmo's had even more grind and punishment for failure. Want to raid? Go fuck around with a horrendously boring attunement quest, then go farm fire resist gear, then go experience the joy of being part of a herd of 40 cats. Oh, you wiped? Well fuck bro, enjoy the massive downtime until the group is ready to have another go at it.

Also, this was a time where there were still some folks that would try to play with dial-up. And bosses were designed in such a way that one player in the 40man could most certainly cause a wipe for the whole goddamn group. Fun combo, that.

The pvp grind for HWL/GM gear was utter insanity. You either cheated and let other players hit your account or you'd never get it. Pvp was monstrously imbalanced.

Wanna go to some other place in the continent? Dont have a mage to port to the capital? Enjoy alt-tabbing while your flying taxi slooooowly travels across the skys. You also had to retab back into the game to pay the taxi to the next point too, until blizz added a way to pay for the whole route.

The delays to make up a group to hit a silly 5man dungeon...gods. People shouting in LFG hoping that someone would show up, then having to travel to the goddamn place. If you were a warlock you just knew you'd be on your way and some fuckers wouldnt even try to go because "lol, lock will sumon", then you'd be sitting there all alone with your thumb up your ass, telling the twats that you needed two more. Fuck your sense of community, gimme my instant pugs with instant summon to dungeon erry day and twice on sundays.

Oh, and what about them rep grinds eh? Ffs, people farmed FURBOLG REP cuz they had fuckall else to do.

I still don't know how i sank a thousand hours into the thing. One of the few things i regret doing in my life.

It was legitimately difficult to save enough money to get a mount, and everyone hated paladins and warlocks for getting them for "free".

that depended entirely on how early you started to sell things in the AH. Started playing the game well before AQ was out, leveling blind, hitting the AH every chance i got. Had more than enough money to mount up.

Became even easier once twinking became popular.

Pepboy

-It was the first MMO for probably most of the people who played it the scale of everything was left people in awe.
-Theorycrafting was in its infancy for a lot of vanilla so nobody really knew how everything worked for a while, and then those who did know were a small minority. People having terrible specs was more common than it wasn't. Servers had tribal knowledge of gameplay mechanics that were inaccurate if not entirely wrong.
-Way less viable specs than now. If you could heal, that's the only thing you were good at. Mages basically had to be frost spec for MC and BWL. There was a significant gold cost to re-spec so you had people bringing PvP specs into raids because they didn't want to pay to bring in a PvE spec.
-Rogues were a dime a dozen and most were awful so they had a terrible reputation until probably BWL when you absolutely needed the DPS.
-heres a graff
1 2 3 4 5
rogue rogue
-Half your 40 man MC raid could be healers because nothing had an enrage timer. Enrage timer mechanics absolutely broke guilds on my server because it changed their raid dynamic immensely.
-If you played too much and talked to people, you had a server reputation (because of that, vanilla WoW legit got me two jobs.). As such, actions actually had a modicum of consequence.
-If you didn't/could raid, your vertical progression basically died if you got all your tier 0 gear and the game became boring/frustrating.
-It released unfinished. Silithus had no quests and the mobs had no drop tables for months.
-The PvP was never good. People liked the organic raids of TM/SS and the Barrens but it wasn't good.
-Ganking was less frustrating because people couldn't just drop out of the sky and shit on you and fly away without consequence.
-It was an amazing experience that I would absolutely never want to do again.

Nice summary. I forgot to mention also that there was huge server lag the first few weeks or months, so when you tried to loot anything, any mob, etc. You generally had to wait several (5-10) seconds. It was kind of excruciating.

rackham

Banned
The Barrens was an area in WoW and was notorious on every server for having its general chat being like something out of 4chan

Example- "This isn't Barrens chat dude"

The Barrens was an area in WoW and was notorious on every server for having its general chat being like something out of 4chan

It was a glorious social experiment (read: full of racists).

Now every chat is like that, if anybody is chatting at all which lol yeah.

ZealousD

"Where is Mankrik's Wife?"

Edit: Fuck, beaten.

gogosox82

You had to group to get anything done. Took forever to get a mount and no flying mounts. It actually meant something if you were able to get a lot of gold or get really high end gear.

The cross-realm thing definitely put the nail in that coffin. In vanilla, and even BC to an extent, your rep on a server was practically everything. If people liked you, you'd get invited to damn near everything.

Yup. I remember a dungeon group needed an extra DPS and I happened to be the only one to answer the call since it was like 3 AM. Turns out the other 4 dudes in the party were in a top-tier raiding guild and they liked my performance enough that afterwards I was invited to their weekly raid clears.

Reputation was a huge deal back then. Now, there's no real consequence to being a huge asshole or stealing loot.

It was common for particular bosses to straight up destroy guilds because people couldn't get past them. Razorgore, Vaelastrasz, and C'Thun as examples.

One of the raiding guilds I was in completely died at Nefarian. Our mages had such terrible DPS, they couldn't kill the adds fast enough, but no one was allowed to post DPS meters because one of the officers happened to be a mage. A ton of drama unfolded when someone posted them anyway after a failed attempt, and that was that.

KodaRuss

Vael was the worst in my opinion. Such a short fight but god damn that was a tough fight to get right.

Razorgore really exposed the poor players in your guild.

Never really got to C'Thun but I heard stories.

I remember the first time we went up against Patchwerk and we got slaughtered so quickly... I about had enough of the game at that point.

Strings

One of the raiding guilds I was in completely died at Nefarian. Our mages had such terrible DPS, they couldn't kill the adds fast enough, but no one was allowed to post DPS meters because one of the officers happened to be a mage. A ton of drama unfolded when someone posted them anyway after a failed attempt, and that was that.

Nefarian was such a goddamn cool encounter. Every class having their own unique mechanic for it (for instance, mages would get a debuff that randomly polymorphed players around them during the second phase, forcing the 2-3 of us to book it towards a tiny ass room on the other side of the arena) was so ace.

I wish I still had the screenshot of my guilds first kill, all posed by his corpse :(

Vaal fight suffered from lag for months on my server but yea the fight was a tightly tuned rotation of tanks working down the threat meter to make sure they had him and dps didn't pull.

Chrommagus was a bitch if he had Time Lapse + Ignite which meant GG tank and no one could figure nef's pattern and once you have black + red combo, it was like sigh... BWL was rough to raid back then based on RNG.

ZealousD

Vael was the worst in my opinion. Such a short fight but god damn that was a tough fight to get right.

Razorgore really exposed the poor players in your guild.

Never really got to C'Thun but I heard stories.

I remember the first time we went up against Patchwerk and we got slaughtered so quickly... I about had enough of the game at that point.

My first guild died at Razorgore. My second guild died at C'Thun just before BC came out. I quit the game shortly after.

C'Thun was some nonsense because you needed 40 people spread out into sets of 8 perfectly spaced Pentagons, then his eyebeam thing forced the whole guild to run around to the other side of the room and set back up into those perfect pentagons again. I don't know if there was any need to be that coordinated in future fights with new expansions but that was ridiculous back then.

Loxley

If you played a Paladin (which I did and still do), Druid, or a Shaman - life was pretty much garbage unless you absolutely loved healing. Despite the fact that all three classes had DPS and/or tanking specs, it didn't matter. If you could heal - that was your job in dungeons and raids. You were a healbot/cleansebot and there was no negotiating otherwise unless your guild had very generous leadership. Granted this was largely because the non-healing specs for hybrid classes were hilariously terrible for the majority of vanilla.

For example, the Paladin DPS spec, Retribution, literally relied on only two abilities - Seal of Command (which gave you a 1-in-8 chance to get a critical strike) and Judgement (a basic holy damage spell). Oh, and auto-attack, we were lucky enough to have auto-attack. As you can imagine, it took ages to kill damn near anything. I think it wasn;t until patch 1.11 or so that we finally got Crusader Strike.

I still remember when Blizzard began making the tanking/healing specs or Pallies, Druids and Shamans actually worthwhile and a chunk of the community just complained to no end about it. They were so used to the hybrid classes being relegated to healing roles that once we started being able to take the place of Warriors or Rogues, it was like their world had been turned upside down.

Folks can talk up about how great vanilla was, and parts of certainly were, but as someone who loves playing hybrid classes, fuck ever going back to vanilla. It was great in its day, but I have zero interest in being forced to play the game a certain way again.

Saganator

World PvP on PvP servers. As a horde player, I remember actually disliking the alliance. Also had a lot of fun going over to the alliance areas and causing problems.

Gold was hard to come by and getting a mount was a pretty big deal.

Leveling to 60 took along time. It made people who didn't have a max character "look up" to the people level 60 players in raid gear.

40 man raids. On PvP servers, just getting to the raid could be an adventure and needed some coordination if the opposite factions were raiding at the same time.

Sense of community. People had reputations and if yours was ruined you might as well move to another server.

What was it like!? By Community standards, what's the biggest change you've seen from vanilla to now. Also how was the economy and the feeling of doing the raid for the first time. ? To name a few

The game was a phenomenon. You might say that about PUBG or Overwatch today, but in 2004-2006- Everybody was talking about WoW, all the fucking time. It was a total pop culture event that changed the world.
It blew MMORPGs up intensely. Many WoW gamers had not played it before, so those of us who were passionate about the genre at the time, saw WoW as an awesome thing. It was going to bring in masses of people from Blizzards fanbase and that would help MMOs.
Well, we weren't wrong, but not many of us expected the game could be such a big hit, that it sort of killed MMORPGs by having everyone trying to copy it.

Vanilla was a simple game. It was very slow progression wise. The game didn't launch with enough quest, to get to 60 without quest. Not long after launch they added a whole bunch more.
Vanilla had consistently server problems and server queues for a very long time after launch.
gamespy, had this very popular WoW comic that was read by tens of thousands, and there was this insanely popular warcraft video site. Xvid type affairs, back from when people were stilling use Xfire.

What did Vanilla feel like? It was most def. something very special to be a part of. There was a magic to it, but it wasn't the game itself. It was the "honeymoon" experience of so many people being drawn into a ever changing virtual world.

Those of us who had played MMOs from earlier than WoW recognize the same feeling in those games. Coming from SWG, WoW felt too simple for me. But SWG had a lot of problems and I was a warcraft fan, so I dont regret jumping on the bandwagon.

But don't kid yourself- Vanilla SWG is the craziest shit you can possible imagine. In my mind there is no contest in that regard.

Strimei

Gold was hard to come by. I farmed demon mobs in Felwood for what felt like weeks to get felcloth and runecloth and junk to sell to get my first mount. What pushed me over was an epic ring, Freezing Band, that pushed me over enough. And man I was so happy to get my first mount.

There was definitely a sense of tension and wonder when going into PVP enabled zones (when on a PVP server). I remember seeing Horde players coming down the road in Ashenvale on their mounts, and trying to hide (and failing because, y'know, glowing name above my head and all).

There was the rite of passage for all Night Elves, the Menethil-Ironforge run.

Duskwood felt so much scarier the first time you enter and these god damn humanoid wolves come tearing out of the forest.

The sense of scale was quite something too, though after so much time has passed, I am so thankful for the better flight system and flying mounts.

Yoday

Paladins were only on the Alliance, and Shaman were only on the Horde. The lack of flying mounts meant the world felt massive. It took forever to obtain pretty much anything, so there was an actual sense of accomplishment. Having tier gear meant you were among the elite, and it was a symbol.

Being part of the top guild (fun and almost entirely non-asshole-ish) on a pvp server competing with other guilds, Horde and Alliance, for both server-first raid bragging rights and world bosses was just the best.

Like others said above: community mattered. You had to deal with people on your server, for better and worse.

Original Alterac Valley and Warsong Gulch (especially as a druid), and to a lesser extent Arathi Basin, was some of the most fun I ever had in the game.

I don't expect there to ever be anything like it (or early MMOs in general) again.

Strimei

"Where is Mankrik's Wife?"

Edit: Fuck, beaten.

No need to edit, I mean, there's a reason why "where is mankirk's wife" became memetic.

Also another thing that led to Barren's chat being what it was was due to the level range involved there, as I recall. Due to the size, you ended up spending a LOT of time there. It was something like for levels 10-25.

ZealousD

Oh yeah, Paladin and Shaman were faction specific classes back in those days. That lead to maximum complaining where one faction always said the other faction-specific class was OP.

So you would have Horde players complain about all the nice raid buffs that Paladins would give like Blessing of Kings and Alliance players would complain about Windfury totem. (Truthfact: Raiding on Alliance actually was easier because Windfury totem would lead to Rogues or DPS warriors pulling threat so it wasn't actually used in raids. Didn't stop the Alliance players from complaining about it, though.)

frontovik

Banned
It was a memorable and immersive experience that was definitely enhanced (and sometimes frustrated) by the server community, its quirky gameplay mechanics, and the fact it's a huge timesink.

Also, as a former vanilla raider, this image always make me laugh..

MmaeU.jpg

Strimei

Oh yeah, Paladin and Shaman were faction specific classes back in those days. That lead to maximum complaining where one faction always said the other faction-specific class was OP.

So you would have Horde players complain about all the nice raid buffs that Paladins would give like Blessing of Kings and Alliance players would complain about Windfury totem. (Truthfact: Raiding on Alliance actually was easier because Windfury totem would lead to Rogues or DPS warriors pulling threat so it wasn't actually used in raids. Didn't stop the Alliance players from complaining about it, though.)

Speaking of factional things, remember how priests all had race-unique spells?

Dwarf and Undead priests everywhere.

Entering the barrens for the first time was just incredible.

"My god this game is huge..."

Playing a Dwarf and ranging on foot all the way from Ironforge to the Corssroads only to see a lone Ally Paladin kiting and PvP'ing half a dozen Horde players is something I'll always look back on fondly.

The scope was so damn impressive back then because you had to do everything yourself. Now you barely even need to pay attention to the game itself to play it unless you're raiding. It's really sad.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
-You were on foot until lvl 40, from there you could get a mount that had 60% increased speed. At max lvl you could buy a 100% mount but that cost a tremendous amount of gold at the time.

-There were quests that took almost an hour to complete because you had to travel from one continent to another just to do a delivery.

-If you were a Warlock you were a god in PvP.

-If you were a Warrior you were a tank, period. Arms and Fury weren't viable.

-If you were a Paladin you were a secondary healer at best. Priests were the best healers.

-Local zones chat channels were more active, due to people spamming "LFG" for a particular dungeon. For raids, people would sit on capital cities and spam on Trade chat for hours.

-Certain class specs were mandatory for some bosses, like Viscidus in AQ40, you needed Frost damage otherwise the boss was unbeatable.

WaterAstro

Before, you would talk with your friends, and make new friends, organize a party, have fun in a community, go to raids.

Now, you hit the LFR button, read pop up instructions, roll your face on your keyboard.

Grisby

It was legitimately difficult to save enough money to get a mount, and everyone hated paladins and warlocks for getting them for "free".
Yep. That warlock steed was so badass. The thunder crack on summoning and the fire was the envy of a lot of younger players.

I got really excited when I got some purple priest vestments. Also, I apparently got a rare pet baby black dragon drop.

I dropped off a bit before the first expansion and never got back on. Reading about the world changes through Cataclysm sounded crazy and I imagine it's almost a different experience.

The day Horde got shamans our best DPSes all agreed straight up said "there goes our DPS up 25%" from Blessing of Salvation alone.

The main difference was that the majority of the world had to be physically traversed, most times on foot because mounts were expensive and required level 40, so everything felt huge and sprawling and getting anywhere felt like a journey. It was common once you hit level 10 or so as an Alliance character to travel to Westfall to quest since you had access to the Deadmines there (there was no instant travel to dungeons back then) and so if you were a Night Elf you had a long, arduous, and dangerous track across half the world. It was common for players to pay people to escort them from Teldrassil to Westfall.

Another big difference was that communication with the community on your server and in your faction was required. You had to actually talk to people to find dungeon groups, complete groups quests, PVP, crafting, trading, you name it. Since servers were largely self contained for all activities (and the population was much smaller) people and guilds became well known and had reputations among the playerbase on that server. This made the game have a great sense of community. Now everyone is so isolated in the game.

The other major difference was that everything took forever and it was a real grind to level up, to find worthwhile gear, to complete dungeons, etc. Quests didn't award enough experience to get you to the next area, so you had to kill mobs or run dungeons in order to advance your character. Gear was harder to come by, making quest rewards fairly valuable even if the stat bonuses they granted were small. Getting to the level cap would take you so long on your first character, but it was a real achievement.

40 man raids were a total clusterfuck, but in kind of an amazing way. 25 mans are probably a better experience overall, but getting 40 players together and working together for hours straight to beat a raid was an incredible feeling.

Finaj

Christ. I remember the quest to get the Warlock mount was a pain in the ass. I was Horde and had to travel to the Wetlands from Lordaeron on foot, through higher-level zones, and with no flight paths.

Took forever.

Sai-kun

Banned
omfg i remember having to actually make ammo for hunters

ajslkfjasf;ljasf i cant believe they thought that was good

ZealousD

If you played a Paladin (which I did and still do), Druid, or a Shaman - life was pretty much garbage unless you absolutely loved healing. Despite the fact that all three classes had DPS and/or tanking specs, it didn't matter. If you could heal - that was your job in dungeons and raids. You were a healbot/cleansebot and there was no negotiating otherwise unless your guild had very generous leadership. Granted this was largely because the non-healing specs for hybrid classes were hilariously terrible for the majority of vanilla.

Yeah it wasn't just the attitudes of the playerbase. The tier sets you got in raids said hybrid classes heal and Warriors tank. You didn't get a choice.

Top Bottom