• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Try to explain to me WoW vanilla

Larran

Neo Member
So many great memories from vanilla I played a warrior tank. Granted I know nostalgia plays a big part but it was my first mmo and I loved it. Here is a list of things I remember:

• The sense of wonder first time I got to Kalimdor as my human warrior and started lvling there was great so different than the other side it also made the world feel huge.
  • My totally rational hatred for my pally and warlock friends and their lvl 40 mounts.
  • The freaking repair costs as a tank and the cost for buffs before raids, I was broke most of the time. After a while 2 guildies (a pally and a warlock ofc they had money) got tired of waiting for the MT slow horse and bought me the fast mount I loved them for that and they got a tank ready to help whenever they needed it.
  • I have a fun memory of AQ was going there for a raid and got ganked on my way there several times by a horde guild. Then my guild came out in force and butchered the horde. It was really great seeing 30+ players rushing out of a raid zone to save my ass.
  • Doing random shit on the raids we had on farm to make it more fun. Like every one (who was on voice chat) had to drink when someone died, that spiraled out of control.
  • I was on a mostly Dutch guild and 2 of our main priest tended to be high as fuck during raids it was painful and sometime hilarious.
  • I also loved doing random stuff after raids in the evenings. Like launching organized PvP raids to horde capitals or the Barrens (sorry horde people).

Wish I was on NA time, I'd apply to join in a flash!

Hey just a heads up, time zone is irrelevant on Elysium. People all around the world are playing so the server always has +4000 people online. Basically all i did was watched world chat and waited for a guild ad in a timezone that made sense for me. Was lucky enough to get into a EST guild, but ive seen guild adds for basically every timezone. Additionally the sever has pugs going all the time hosted by various guilds at various times. If you ever do end up givin it a shot down the line shoot "gankzy" an ingame tell and i can set you up quite nicely.

Its actually pretty insane how fun the game still is if you allow yourself to meet new people and make friends, additionally the effort the community puts in as a whole is unreal. There is this website called realmplayers that logs data from all private servers and people volunteer to provide all sorts of data including raid stats. Heres a link to my mainhttp://realmplayers.com/CharacterViewer.aspx?realm=Ely&player=Gankzy. Basically everything surrounding elysiums has provides this huge feeling/sense of community. Something i believe is missing from WoW retail no adays.

Genuine question: when was the paladin Charger (100% mount) free? I keep seeing people referencing this, but I played a paladin in vanilla and I had to do a pain in the ass quest chain containing multiple dungeons (including Dire Maul which was a huge hassle to find groups for), and one part where I had to pay 600g plus some materials that I had to get from the AH if I remember right to make the saddle. By the end of it, I feel like just paying 1000G would have been much less work.

My account start date would have put me around patch 1.10.2. Probably got my Charger in 1.11. Was it actually free some time before that, or are the people here complaining about its being "free" just other classes that are butthurt about paladin/warlock getting special mounts?

Roshin

At one point on my server, there was a big argument between priests and mages. Priests relied on mages to create food/water for them to replenish mana and keep everyone healed up. Some mages objected to being walking water coolers and demanded gold and/or magic items for their services. Priests of course responded by healing everyone except the mages.

I had a priest and actually came across a couple of PUG mages who bitched about it.

Weevilone

Genuine question: when was the paladin Charger (100% mount) free? I keep seeing people referencing this, but I played a paladin in vanilla and I had to do a pain in the ass quest chain containing multiple dungeons (including Dire Maul which was a huge hassle to find groups for), and one part where I had to pay 600g plus some materials that I had to get from the AH if I remember right to make the saddle. By the end of it, I feel like just paying 1000G would have been much less work.

My account start date would have put me around patch 1.10.2. Probably got my Charger in 1.11. Was it actually free some time before that, or are the people here complaining about its being "free" just other classes that are butthurt about paladin/warlock getting special mounts?

Yeah you needed some rare black pristine diamond or something too. I never got a drop for that, and all the other 5 man (or 10 back then?) people "needed" it so they could sell it on the AH to fund their own mount. I had one of the first paladin epic mounts on my realm and it cost a ton.

Kalnos

Banned

The 100% speed was never free AFAIK, it's just bad memory. I mentioned it earlier but the warlock one was a pretty big pain in the ass and while it wasn't quite 900g it was still expensive. The Warlock quest required DM West which was the one DM that no one wanted to run very often.

Lucumo

Wish I was on NA time, I'd apply to join in a flash!

I would say UTC/CEST is probably the most active, as it has all the Chinese and Russian players as well as the American players in the evening. There are also lots of different guilds around. Started playing two weeks ago and just joined a guild.

TheYanger

Anyone remember when they made a Peggle addon and eventually had to pull it cos people were playng in raids and shit h

It never got 'pulled' it just stopped getting updated eventually. I actually found a version someone had managed to keep running, was playing it last expansion. I bet it still works.

SPCTRE

cow druid

I think we left ENP and joined AOF shortly after Zul'Gurub was released. I know I got my guild invite after we did server first Hakkar.
dat Glowing Brightwood Staff!

I remember lending gold from a guild mate to afford buying mine for 400G from the auction house (which of course set me back in my efforts to save up for my fast/epic mount) and then paying one of the few enchanters able to slap a +22 INT enchant on it

(I was playing a mana whore priest, ended up with 10K mana buffed in Zul Gurub at one point)

dat Glowing Brightwood Staff!

I remember lending gold from a guild mate to afford buying mine for 400G from the auction house (which of course set me back in my efforts to save up for my fast/epic mount) and then paying one of the few enchanters able to slap a +22 INT enchant on it

(I was playing a mana whore priest, ended up with 10K buffed in Zul Gurub at one point
)

Heh, I was always snooty about int priests. Gimme dat mp5.

No idea why i was that way :D

WestEgg

I made it to max level in Vanilla WoW. I never became a huge raider, but I did do some of the higher level instances like Strat, Scholo, etc.

But nothing, and I mean NOTHING in an MMO will impress me as much as my early days running the Dead Mines in Westfall.

Up to this point, everything had been pretty straight forward in WoW. Go here, kill these guys, and most "dungeons" were just caves or abandoned keeps or the like. But then came the questline involving the Defias Brotherhood. This was easily the most ambitious questline in the game up to that point that I had played, taking you all over the areas you've been and even a few new ones to learn about this mysterious organization that was plaguing Westfall.

This all eventually culminated in exploring beneath the small village held by bandits. After some experimental prodding, I found my self in the caves beneath, but was very much outmatched by the monsters below. This, I thought, was surely the dead mines that I needed a group to clear. But no, this was nothing but the atrium, a prep area for the real deal. I believe I had quests marked "Instance" but wasn't sure what that mean just yet. Having been in Westfall for a while, I saw plenty of messages saying "LFG VC" or "LFG DM" so I assumed that's what I needed to do to progress. I messaged one of the inquiries, and joined a group.

I remember seeing the swirling entrance into the dungeon proper and wondering what that was all about. My group went through and there was a loading screen. This was new. Instead of recklessly running in and killing all the enemies, we had to play it cool, pulling small groups at a time as we slowly made our way through the tunnels. I remember fighting increasingly tough elites, fighitng a goblin in a giant mech in the lumber area, and many more mechanical monstrosities as we descended down to the foundry. I remember blasting a cave wall down with a canon. And when I finally saw the ship, I knew things were about to get real.

We proceeded along the docks, taking out enemies methodically until we were near the boats. We found ourselves matched against a Pirate Cow. "YOU LAND LUBBERS ARE TOUGHER THAN I THOUGHT," he screamed as he stunned us and reached into his treasure chest for better armaments. "I'LL HAVE TO IMPROVISE!" After overcoming him, and climbing aboard the ship, then took down the goblin captain. As we approached the top of the ship, my group members told me the importance of the what needed to happen next.

There was a waterwheel attached to the ship. If you jump on to it, none of the enemies can reach you. As a paladin, with tough armor, magical protection, and healing, it was my duty to get to that wheel in the event of a group wipe. If the group wiped, the whole instance would reset, and we'd have to start again.

Sure enough, the mighty Van Cleef did manage to kill most of my group in the ensuing battle, but I made my escape to that wheel. I sat there as the enemies ran at me in vain, before losing interest and returning to their original spots. My team regrouped. We reorganized. And we took down the Defias Leader. And then for some reason we killed the cook on the way out.

This to me was vanilla WoW. Nothing ever topped that first experience. I probably ran dead mines more times than any other instance in the game, but it was always my favorite. I did appreciate actually beating Gnomeregan with a non-overpowered group (this was a feat in vanilla) and being the last man standing in Zul Farak as we took down a boss hydra, leading me to landing the killing blow and resurrecting my fallen party. But man, those Dead Mines.

Nabbis

Vanilla WoW was like Dark Souls with both it's novelty as well as crappy design like Izalith while modern WoW is like what Activision would do to a game like Dark Souls.

KaYotiX

Banned
Best part of vannilla wow was the community believe it or not. Blizzard had server forums on thier site which were amazing places to meet people and form a tight knit community. Also to poke fun at the other side :)

Miss that the most.

Tacitus_

The 100% speed was never free AFAIK, it's just bad memory. I mentioned it earlier but the warlock one was a pretty big pain in the ass and while it wasn't quite 900g it was still expensive. The Warlock quest required DM West which was the one DM that no one wanted to run very often.

If you could find a warlock who had already done it, you could use his reagents for the ritual which shaved off 250g and only had to spend 156g for the whole thing. Of course there were the materials needed, but I think I had herb/alch on my warlock back then so I saved even more by farming the mushrooms too.

yayaba

Agreed on the Deadmines. First instance I ever did, I remember I had the chills walking in, seeing the title card, the crescendo in the music. Took my and some guild mates 3 hours and it was epic.

Also didn't read the thread but I missed Ironforge. First time walking in, the music hits, and hitting lag city since EVERYONE and their mother was there. It was awesome.

Recently tried out WoW again and it just wasn't the same. Cities were dead. People only use the LFG and instances are a joke with people just running throug and killing everything. Blizz really screwed up the lower level experience. Made me so sad I just quit with out trying any high level content.

RalchAC

The quest chain to get the 60 mount was hell. You had to do a lot of stuff, including farming rare drops in Stratholme or Scholomance, or... Well, buying them at AH.

It took my a long while, quite a bit of money and the help of some guild buddies to get it.

You had to drop some hard cold cash too.

Estellex

What are the chances that Blizzard will make legacy servers though? They have been discussing for some time now.

Hopefully we will get an announcement at Blizzcon later this year.

TheYanger

Agreed on the Deadmines. First instance I ever did, I remember I had the chills walking in, seeing the title card, the crescendo in the music. Took my and some guild mates 3 hours and it was epic.

Also didn't read the thread but I missed Ironforge. First time walking in, the music hits, and hitting lag city since EVERYONE and their mother was there. It was awesome.

Recently tried out WoW again and it just wasn't the same. Cities were dead. People only use the LFG and instances are a joke with people just running throug and killing everything. Blizz really screwed up the lower level experience. Made me so sad I just quit with out trying any high level content.

Not gonna argue that it's not like that now at low levels, it absolutely is (Cities aren't dead though...Ironforge is, because ironforge isn't where alliance players hang out, but org and SW are still very populated). But, the only reason it wasn't like that at launch is because people weren't as good at the game. If you play ona private vanilla server, dungeons are the same as they are on live - people that actually know how the game works, literally stomping through with no regard for cC or anything else. No reason you couldn't do that back in the day besides lack of knowledge about the game. The MAIN difference is that aoe didn't really exist in vanilla where now it's pretty normal (especially tanks can aoe quite well now and they usually carry the low level dungeons on live).

Leunam

Thus thread has been a lot of fun to read through. I only ever sunk serious time into Final Fantasy XI and XIV but I always liked hearing stories about WoW.

Kinda wish y'all posted more screenshots though. :D

Syf

Banned
What are the chances that Blizzard will make legacy servers though? They have been discussing for some time now.

Hopefully we will get an announcement at Blizzcon later this year.
With how successful Legion is they don't have much incentive to go all the way with legacy servers. Maybe pristine servers that they mentioned last year (current content but without features like LFR, CRZ, heirlooms, etc). I'd love to play on that.

I made it to max level in Vanilla WoW. I never became a huge raider, but I did do some of the higher level instances like Strat, Scholo, etc.

But nothing, and I mean NOTHING in an MMO will impress me as much as my early days running the Dead Mines in Westfall.

Up to this point, everything had been pretty straight forward in WoW. Go here, kill these guys, and most "dungeons" were just caves or abandoned keeps or the like. But then came the questline involving the Defias Brotherhood. This was easily the most ambitious questline in the game up to that point that I had played, taking you all over the areas you've been and even a few new ones to learn about this mysterious organization that was plaguing Westfall.

This all eventually culminated in exploring beneath the small village held by bandits. After some experimental prodding, I found my self in the caves beneath, but was very much outmatched by the monsters below. This, I thought, was surely the dead mines that I needed a group to clear. But no, this was nothing but the atrium, a prep area for the real deal. I believe I had quests marked "Instance" but wasn't sure what that mean just yet. Having been in Westfall for a while, I saw plenty of messages saying "LFG VC" or "LFG DM" so I assumed that's what I needed to do to progress. I messaged one of the inquiries, and joined a group.

I remember seeing the swirling entrance into the dungeon proper and wondering what that was all about. My group went through and there was a loading screen. This was new. Instead of recklessly running in and killing all the enemies, we had to play it cool, pulling small groups at a time as we slowly made our way through the tunnels. I remember fighting increasingly tough elites, fighitng a goblin in a giant mech in the lumber area, and many more mechanical monstrosities as we descended down to the foundry. I remember blasting a cave wall down with a canon. And when I finally saw the ship, I knew things were about to get real.

We proceeded along the docks, taking out enemies methodically until we were near the boats. We found ourselves matched against a Pirate Cow. "YOU LAND LUBBERS ARE TOUGHER THAN I THOUGHT," he screamed as he stunned us and reached into his treasure chest for better armaments. "I'LL HAVE TO IMPROVISE!" After overcoming him, and climbing aboard the ship, then took down the goblin captain. As we approached the top of the ship, my group members told me the importance of the what needed to happen next.

There was a waterwheel attached to the ship. If you jump on to it, none of the enemies can reach you. As a paladin, with tough armor, magical protection, and healing, it was my duty to get to that wheel in the event of a group wipe. If the group wiped, the whole instance would reset, and we'd have to start again.

Sure enough, the mighty Van Cleef did manage to kill most of my group in the ensuing battle, but I made my escape to that wheel. I sat there as the enemies ran at me in vain, before losing interest and returning to their original spots. My team regrouped. We reorganized. And we took down the Defias Leader. And then for some reason we killed the cook on the way out.

This to me was vanilla WoW. Nothing ever topped that first experience. I probably ran dead mines more times than any other instance in the game, but it was always my favorite. I did appreciate actually beating Gnomeregan with a non-overpowered group (this was a feat in vanilla) and being the last man standing in Zul Farak as we took down a boss hydra, leading me to landing the killing blow and resurrecting my fallen party. But man, those Dead Mines.

That was beautiful :'(

Deadmines was my favorite as well. I had a night elf rogue and loved the drops you could get off Vancleef.

Cruel Barb, Cape of the Brotherhood, Blackened Defias Armor (the set looks amazing).

Lawd have mercy.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
With how successful Legion is they don't have much incentive to go all the way with legacy servers. Maybe pristine servers that they mentioned last year (current content but without features like LFR, CRZ, heirlooms, etc). I'd love to play on that.

Now that would be interesting...

Thinking back, it's crazy to me that I played for years and had hundreds of days /played, and yet there was so much content that I didn't even touch. I never got a horde character past level 30, and the only three characters I got over 40 were all Night Elves. I'm pretty sure there were entire zones that I barely even stepped in, or only traveled through to reach instances/other zones.

And this is coming from someone who did a lot of wandering and exploring, and did stupid shit like swimming along the continental coast instead of taking the roads.

The scale of it still blows my mind.

TheYanger

WoW was EQ for newbs.
Of course, EQ was UO for newbs.
And UO was MUDs for newbs.

(Inb4 "MUDs were D&D for newbs)

UO was literally nothing like EQ, so no trying to undermine the 'wow was casual eq' argument is a bit silly. EQ was by far the most hardcore mainstream mmo.

That was beautiful :'(

Deadmines was my favorite as well. I had a night elf rogue and loved the drops you could get off Vancleef.

Cruel Barb, Cape of the Brotherhood, Blackened Defias Armor (the set looks amazing).

Lawd have mercy.

Yeah deadmines rogue loot is still ridiculously good. Cruel Barb on emulated servers is like getting a legendary.

Meliora

WoW vanilla was so much fun. I didn't even raid, I just loved exploring and PVPing. If there was some place that was closed off, I just had to find a way inside. Wallwalking and swimming for ages was fine, I just loved going places few people went to. The fun in that died sort of with flying mounts, and then it really ended with cataclysm and so on.

I didn't care that some specs didn't work, I just did stuff and I loved it. I played feral druid most of the time, sometimes weird mixes. Since I didn't raid there wasn't really any pressure for me to play in any certain way.

The server community was also great back then, and on my server people even arranged a few pvp events in arenas like Dire Maul and in Stranglethorn Vale. We had famous gankers that everyone knew about and it was almost an honor to be killed by them. Sneaking into Orgrimmar was great fun. World Bosses took ages to down because Alliance ruined it for the Horde and the other way around. The reason I stopped playing in the end was basically that the community feeling was gone. I no longer met my favorite Horde in the BGs when cross server happened,and I never ran into them out in the world anymore either because you could just queue up for stuff.

Sure a lot of things have gotten better, and I haven't played since cataclysm. I did love arenas for example and also the achievement points were like a drug to me. I just had to collect stuff, and by then I could also solo/small group a lot of the older raids, but the things that I loved about WoW changed too much for me so I eventually stopped some time during Cataclysm.

Now some screenshots!
My very first character that I created on my brother's account. This character was scrapped pretty soon as I decided I had to get this game myself. I had ran into Horde before, but this was the first time I saw that many and it was terrifying!
fYte0LM.jpg

Don't remember the name of this world boss, but I remember people were at it for hours! The biggest guilds tried to coordinate some sort of attack on the Horde so they could kill it but people just kept ruining it for each other. Great fun!
UF5deta.jpg

From one of the PVP events my server did. Groups of 5 would go against each other. It was arranged by some of the bigger guilds on both Horde and Alliance side if I remember right. There were people who tried to ruin it, but they were killed so fast!
th8DiqU.jpg

Alterac Valley stealth team. By wallwalking you could sneak into the horde base past the guards. With a stealth team it wasn't too hard to take the GY base. This was the way to win for a while.
Bfh9iwc.jpg

From the AQ opening on my server.
ynDKD59.jpg

And lastly (I have a lot of screenshots :p ). The upside down sinners room from beneath Karazhan. This was a closed of area that I think was never used? One of the closed off places I liked to visit once in a while.
9lSn1OW.jpg

Arkkoran

Unconfirmed Member
Mostly the community aspect is what I miss.

Everything was new, and people really relied upon each other. No server transfers, no name changes, your reputation could matter. I became best friends with a guy from a random Deadmines group, and we ended up raiding all the way up to WotLK together. When I leveled up some new characters through MoP, I never saw anyone say one word in a dungeon. I might as well been playing with bots.

I also attribute part of the community to internet resources being less developed then. Ya, thottbot and allakhazam were around, but compared to what is available today, they were lackluster in hindsight. With WoW and EQ, I remember trying to find info online, and finding nothing and resorting to asking guildmates most of the time. Nowadays, everything is a google search away.

lazygecko

My most distinct Deadmines memory was healing through the instance as a priest, and after a tough Van Cleef fight this asshole in our group ninjas the Defias chest from our rogue (he was a cloth class and couldn't even wear leather), his reasoning being that since he hadn't gotten any other loot during the run he "deserved" it. Since he had died during the fight, I decided not to ress him, which made him so mad he whispered me saying that he would punch me IRL if he could.

Surprised no one else mentioned vanilla had the best login screen : )

gfs_5996_1_1.jpg

I actually went through the effort and managed to replace the WOTLK login screen with the vanilla one, by extracting the folder from the vanilla .mpq archive and renaming it to the WOTLK one. Not just for nostalgia reasons, but mostly since I had enough of fucking Sindragosa's flapping and roaring.

TheYanger

I actually went through the effort and managed to replace the WOTLK login screen with the vanilla one, by extracting the folder from the vanilla .mpq archive and renaming it to the WOTLK one. Not just for nostalgia reasons, but mostly since I had enough of fucking Sindragosa's flapping and roaring.

That wotlk login....holy god it was cool at first but that was the most annoying shit in the world. I can't even count the number of times I fell asleep with wow still open and would wake up in the middle of the night because of her loud ass roaring.

lazygecko

That wotlk login....holy god it was cool at first but that was the most annoying shit in the world. I can't even count the number of times I fell asleep with wow still open and would wake up in the middle of the night because of her loud ass roaring.

After Cataclysm was announced, I made a joke that the login screen would have Deathwing obnoxiously roaring right in your face.

Then they went ahead and did exactly fucking that.

Artdayne

Vanilla WoW was a magical place. It absolutely was one of my favorite gaming experiences I've ever had, no question. The only other MMO I had played before it was Matrix Online and I only played that for a couple months, it was terrible. I was hesitant to play WoW just because I wasn't a fan of the cartoonish artstyle but eventually a friend convinced me to try it out and the difference in quality between WoW and Matrix Online was staggering. WoW felt so polished, the combat was fun, the animations were noticeably smoother, the leveling felt much more streamlined and easier to just pick up and play.

Now people talk about the importance of communication in vanilla WoW, and it absolutely was there. Mainly because in the casual areas of the game it fostered more of a communal approach. There were elite mobs all over while questing that were very difficult to kill on your own. There was no group finder for dungeons so I had this big list of people on my friends list and we'd often run dungeons together just because it made sense. I still remember the name of the random buddy I had made friends with while leveling, even though I haven't talked to him in like 10 years.

I want to say something about the game having a better community though, once I found a good guild in vanilla, those were the people I was doing everything with. I didn't even bother running dungeons unless it was with my guild mates. One of the most fun experiences I had in the game was rerolling with our new guild onto a brand new server that had opened up for The Burning Crusade about 2 months before release. Everyone on the server was leveling from scratch, everyone was racing to 60 and remember leveling to 60 took about a month while playing several hours every day. It was so refreshing just running things with my guild because you actually had people that understood how to perform their role in a dungeon.

Beyond vanilla though, some of the best community experiences I've had have been with the different guilds I've been in well after vanilla. Hard core raiding still fosters community in a big way, more so than the rest of the game and that's where I found the most enjoyment, making progress on the most difficult encounters with friends.

I recently found an old video from vanilla WoW and the opening of the Gates of Ahn'Qiraj in Silithus

- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPVZe2TUsaU

(warning: this is very much a WarCraftMovies / AMV era video, complete with AC/DC and Third Eye Blind lol)

you can see me Kyan the dancing orc grunt in this section (timestamp @ 14:33) and the High Warlord (@12:45) and on the wolf near the front (@ 0:03) since I was sort of the guild leader bodyguard during the 'Silithus world war' ;D

Horde obviously, was from Stormreaver (USEast) server.

those two weeks ... some of the best world pvp i've had in any MMO

Top Bottom