• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

R.I.P Denuvo - Tekken 7 and Dishonored 2 cracked

Woo-Fu

Banned
I think assuming that publishers aren't getting something out of DRM yet continue to pay for it anyway is a really bad/ignorant assumption. The money isn't getting spent without some sort of business case being made for the expenditure.

Mifec

I think assuming that publishers aren't getting something out of DRM and continue to pay for it anyway is a really bad/ignorant assumption. The money isn't getting spent without some sort of business case being made for the expenditure.
They're doing it to appease shareholders.

DerpHause

People still pre-order video games. People pay premium to play a game a day earlier. Even if it's just a week until it's cracked. Denuvo does it's job in the eyes of the publishers to have the paying users play the game before the pirates. So I doubt DRM is going anywhere for the time being.

Preorders don't allow early play so their existence is if anything a demonstration of an audience willing to pay for the games rather than a testimony to the efficacy of DRM. This is especially true as crack times decrease.

MUnited83

For you.
I think assuming that publishers aren't getting something out of DRM and continue to pay for it anyway is a really bad/ignorant assumption. The money isn't getting spent without some sort of business case being made for the expenditure.

Demonstrably false, as you can tell for the years and years and years and holy shit the fucking years of publishers continuing to put shitty ass Securom and TAGES despite every single one of them getting cracked day one.
It's nothing more than a placebo for shareholder. Nothing more than that.

Hektor

I think assuming that publishers aren't getting something out of DRM yet continue to pay for it anyway is a really bad/ignorant assumption. The money isn't getting spent without some sort of business case being made for the expenditure.

Companies are prone to make stupid decisions all the time

Have you looked at the list of games with Denuvo?
The majority of them are not exactly from struggling publishers, and that majority is also made up from games that literally would have a PC version either way.

MGS V, Nier, and God Eater

Three games that I was so happy that they got a PC release, and I am almost positive we would have never seen them on PC if it hadn't been for Denuvo.

I am not entirely sure of this, but I think piracy was a major reason Japanese publishers always overlooked the PC market. Those are prime examples where Denuvo actually contributed positively to the PC market, even though it is bad for buying consumers in every conceivable way.

Again, the mentality on PC gaming is a big part of the problem, and no, Denuvo is not the solution to piracy.

I am not trying at all to start a discussion that I have times and times again read through.

MUnited83

For you.

Three games that I was so happy that they got a PC release, and I am almost positive we would have never seen them on PC if it hadn't been for Denuvo.

I am not entirely sure of this, but I think piracy was a major reason Japanese publishers always overlooked the PC market. Those are prime examples where Denuvo actually contributed positively to the PC market, even though it is bad for buying consumers in every conceivable way.

Again, the mentality on PC gaming is a big part of the problem, and no, Denuvo is not the solution to piracy.

I am not trying at all to start a discussion that I have times and times again read through.
?

Japanese publishers started transitioning to PC before Denuvo was even a thing.
Konami published Metal Gear Rising to huge sucess without Denuvo being a thing. You know the reason MGSV actually came to PC? Because Rising sold a shitload. That was the reason, not Denuvo.
Similarly, Namco Bandai started making a crapload of ports before starting to use Denuvo.
And, well, the exact same with Square Enix.

I am aware of the shift you are referring to. On the other hand, Denuvo became a trend for most major publishes once it proved it can withhold cracks after Lords of the Fallen, and then the second iteration with Just Cause 3 and Rise of the Tomb Raider, as both games took over a year to be cracked.

I also know that good games get great sales on PC, but the focus here on AAA multi-platform publishers who doesn't seem to be too concerned with the PC market, and only think of it as an afterthought

But, there's still no difference from before Denuvo and now, Denuvo hasn't changed anything to that degree that it's visible for any of us, with the information and data available to us. It's the same.

That Denuvo has managed to gain a foothold with the big publishers, is perhaps good for them, but it hasn't changed anything for us in terms of releases.

If anything, Steam is the reason that they have gotten PC releases. And not by being an effective DRM (it isn't, for anything then day zero piracy), but by creating an attractive marketplace on the PC, for customers and publishers, without the need of retail.

Nilua

Metal Gear Rising had a PC release, so it's not weird that Metal Gear V would have one, Bamco was already releasing games on PC (Tales of, One Piece, etc) before God Eater. Nier, granted, I'm not totally sure, but it's a relatively big game from Square Enix, that was already in a transition to release games on PC.

Hektor

?
Konami published Metal Gear Rising to huge sucess without Denuvo being a thing. You know the reason MGSV actually came to PC? Because Rising sold a shitload. That was the reason, not Denuvo.

Don't forget about MGSV:GZ which sold a million copies and also released without Denuvo.

TimFL

I think publishers don't really care about DRM, they just add it to appease the shareholders with a "look we actively try to prevent piracy! :shrug:" message.

They're doing it to appease shareholders.

Well why are Shareholders so dumb? Aren't these supposed to be business types?

I totally understand using Denuvo when it can actually prevent piracy, but using it now when it gets cracked in two days is a stupid waste of money, never mind customer complaints.

Mifec

I totally understand using Denuvo when it can actually prevent piracy, but using it now when it gets cracked in two days is a stupid waste of money, never mind customer complaints.

We had a dev here say that it's easier for pubs to put DRM in then to explain why their game doesn't have anti piracy measures.

Sure, there are gains to get from it.

1. The longer it isn't cracked, the bigger the chance that you can get that many extra sales, so that the investment in Denuvo is covered, and then some more. If the implementation of Denuvo cost a certain sum, and you earn a certain sum for your game, there's of course a break even. And based on the numbers we've heard about for Denuvo, it's not an astronomical numbers of copies.
2. If the game isn't cracked, you're not going to pay for support for people who haven't bought your game.
3. You can feel that you have done something, and get the satisfaction of beating, or at least delaying and frustrating, pirates.
4. You can say to people that you have done something (never underestimate that factor in a business enviroment).

But it's still not, as far as we can tell from data available to us, a deciding factor for whether or not it's worth investing in a PC version of your game.

TimFL

2 days is all it needs to get that delicious 24h R*-style sales record.

MUnited83

For you.
Hell, I just went through the whole list of Denuvo games.

There isn't a single publisher there that didn't already have their foot in on PC for a while there. There is not a single Japanese publisher debuting their stuff on PC with a Denuvo title.

Seems it did a pretty bad job of bringing companies over to PC tbh.

Hell, I just went through the whole list of Denuvo games.

There isn't a single publisher there that didn't already have their foot in on PC for a while there. There is not a single Japanese publisher debuting their stuff on PC with a Denuvo title.

Seems it did a pretty bad job of bringing companies over to PC tbh.

I did the same, and apart from God Eater and Nier, I don't think there are that many games.

Which actually now makes me wonder, what was the appeal to Denuvo when they founded it? with the stigma of SecuROM not being that far behind

Deathknell

WB: "We need to protect Shadow of War from filthy pirates!"

Denuvo: "Sure, give us 100.000€ and you'll be safe"

WB: "Deal!"

Shadow of War cracked in 36 hours.

tenor.gif

Mifec

WB: "We need to protect Shadow of War from filthy pirates!"

Denuvo: "Sure, give us 100.000€ and you'll be safe"

WB: "Deal!"

Shadow of War cracked in 36 hours.

tenor.gif

Not only that. Codex is on the Denuvo train now too. 3 active groups cracking it.

Ploid 3.0

Who is Denuvo meant to protect again?

Protect customers, from day -0 spoilers, maybe.

Also I wonder if people will be able to mod loot box items to be buyable at a shop or something. Though I know nothing about this game, having Denuvo on it means it's not likely to have mods anyway. Darn you Denuvo!!!!

Also I wonder if people will be able to mod loot box items to be buyable at a shop or something. Though I know nothing about this game, having Denuvo on it means it's not likely to have mods anyway. Darn you Denuvo!!!!

eh, MGS5 had denuvo and you most certainly could just boot up a trainer to give yourself max funds and speed up the research tree, so yeaaah, there'll probably be a way to get around that.

MUnited83

For you.

You use cheat engine to get as much Mirian as you want, but not Gold.

T-Rex.

Banned
So what's the point of even paying to have Denuvo now? Seems like everything's getting cracked within the first few days.

shimon

So this cracked version is THE NORMAL version of the game since you can't access loot boxes. So everything you earn is legit. No MT bullshit. Thanks Denuvo lol

Bullet point in shareholder presentation.

Yep, even if it gets cracked within an hour of release they'll keep using it because of the fucking shareholders screaming about how they're not "protecting their investment". Notice how nearly every company that uses Denuvo is publicly traded?

Bethesda removed Denuvo for The Evil Within 2 just before release, I guess this is a first

Actually, I think there is a good possibility, as the author of the Evil Within 2 PC Performance Thread pointed out, it might have been unintentional.

Seemingly, Bethesda forgot to include the executable file in the preload download, and was added later. So, maybe they included an affected .exe file by mistake.

But that is just a speculation, even though I find it interesting

Here is the direct quote to JaseC's post
The lack of Denuvo might be unintentional. The original executable depot was replaced with a new one, so it's possible somebody used the wrong executable when creating it. The damage has been done, though, so there'd be no point in fixing the mistake.

prag16

Banned
South Park has been cracked by 2 groups joining forces.

Have to wonder if the shareholders have caught on yet to the fact that including Denuvo now is a useless gesture. I'd hope so. We'll likely be seeing it less and less. Good riddance.

(However I'm sure somebody soon will claim they have the NEXT BIG THING in DRM... either that or every game will just be always online...)

Mifec

They've also cracked the Ubisoft club rewards that were usually unobtainable unless you had a legit save, so pirates don't lose anything now.
Have to wonder if the shareholders have caught on yet to the fact that including Denuvo now is a useless gesture. I'd hope so. We'll likely be seeing it less and less. Good riddance.

(However I'm sure somebody soon will claim they have the NEXT BIG THING in DRM... either that or every game will just be always online...)

Mind you denuvo was made by the same duders that made securom another terrible DRM.

its been 8 years since AC2 , but this still applies :-D
Ubisoft_8773f2_396439.gif

Holy shit I forgot this top tier meme. Very gud.

Top Bottom