• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

R.I.P Denuvo - Tekken 7 and Dishonored 2 cracked

Paragon

And honestly this whole game preservation angle is so shallow to me. Tons of games have expiration dates due to many other reasons as well like OS compatibility or hardware issues. It doesn't really matter in the end no argument will stop a company from trying to protect its IP.
PC gaming is not like console gaming where you hope that the new system plays the old games, or else they're locked to old hardware that will die one day.
The majority of games on PC are still able to be played on Windows 10 - though some of them require modifications to do so.
People are still actively working on software to improve this compatibility.
As a result, I still regularly play PC games that are 20+ years old.
GOG was created as a way to help keep these old games alive.

While I'm sure there are people that don't care and only want to play the latest thing, an awful lot of PC gamers do care about playing old games, and are against anything which potentially gets in the way of that.
We've already been through multiple iterations of DRM/copy-protection schemes that have proven themselves to be harmful to game preservation, and don't want something that now relies on an activation server having to exist.

I can keep a PC with old hardware and an old operating system to play old games. I cannot do anything to keep Denuvo servers alive. Are you capable of seeing the difference here?
Exactly.
Even if compatibility was an issue, Denuvo prevents you from running the games on old hardware or operating systems if the servers no longer exist.

Idk why everyone rails against Denuvo, if it gets defeated something worse will replace it and on and on. Companies will never stop protecting their IP. It will never ever stop..

You have a thread 11 pages long here, where people have explained just why, many times.

MUnited83

For you.
And yet, companies will still want to protect their IP like my original post and nothing you say or do (short of stopping piracy somehow) will change that.

And honestly this whole game preservation angle is so shallow to me. Tons of games have expiration dates due to many other reasons as well like OS compatibility or hardware issues. It doesn't really matter in the end no argument will stop a company from trying to protect its IP.

And they will still be dumb idiots wasting money on something that doesn't work.

By the way, Ubisoft already tried something worse and they failed miserably.

Good on them. Keeping Denuvo around once it has been cracked is dumb as hell.

PC gaming is not like console gaming where you hope that the new system plays the old games, or else they're locked to old hardware that will die one day.
The majority of games on PC are still able to be played on Windows 10 - though some of them require modifications to do so.
People are still actively working on software to improve this compatibility.
As a result, I still regularly play PC games that are 20+ years old.
GOG was created as a way to help keep these old games alive.

Not only that, one of those harmful DRM schemes that was used in extremely high profile games such as GTAIV and Fallout 3 (both titles which expect me to crack them myself because it was never removed from those titles) was created by the people behind Denuvo and was abandoned after under 7 years.

MUnited83

For you.
I thought GRW was always online? Did it get the Hitman treatment?

It's highly recommended to play online with other people, but the game could be played offline since release. (well assuming Denuvo didn't bork up as it tends to do every now and then.

Chessr

How exactly does piracy affect the paying consumer? Or the developers and publishers either? People who pirate games would in most cases never buy them anyway. Either because they can't, or simply don't want to.

If they dont want to buy a game they dont want to Play it then. If u can afford a gamer pc you can afford a game. Not the hardest math

Is there any evidence at all that PC game DRM increases PC game sales?

Anecdotally speaking, I've had to skip out on multiple day one purchases this year thanks to the stupid idea to use Denuvo. I've already had to skip Robinson: The Journey, For Honor, NieR, Prey, Battlezone, and Tekken 7. I own over 1300 games on Steam as PC is my main platform and I always buy games at launch for full price so I hate having to skip games entirely that I otherwise would have gladly paid full price for on day 1.

I already purchased the re-release of Bulletstorm and Agents of Mayhem when they were available for sale, but prior to them stating that they were using Denuvo and had to refund them both when I could have just saved myself the time and effort by skipping them all together if they had been upfront about it's inclusion from the moment the sale page went up instead of sneaking it in right before launch.

The idea of using Denuvo in the last two games I listed makes absolutely no sense when those titles have had a hard enough time selling without adding an additional reason for people to skip over your game.

ShadyJ

Good! Draconian DRM like this needs to be stamped out.

Steam inbuilt DRM is enough, you can't stop piracy just trust in your product that it's good enough that people WANT to pay for it.

Mifec

PES18 got cracked in 3 days after the last update. Dishonored: Death of the Outsider got cracked 8 days after release by a different group.

Denuvo won't have a good time with all the AAA stuff next month.

RRockman

Banned
PES18 got cracked in 3 days after the last update. Dishonored: Death of the Outsider got cracked 8 days after release by a different group.

Yes I love the reking.

But new news new thread?

BigEmil

I remember when people were saying Denuvo is 100% uncrackable the crackers are forever doomed the end, yet here we are still

Mifec

I remember when people were saying Denuvo is 100% uncrackable the crackers are forever doomed the end, yet here we are still

Yeah, then 2 groups and 1 solo guy cracked all that was left in like a month. Was hilarious. Pretty sure the only things left are Fernbus Simulator and MVCI right now.

patchday

I just want modders to be able to enhance gameplay and add fan content. So I suppose my issue isn't with Denuvo per se- but more to do with how mods are not encouraged these days

ldcommando

Banned
Yeah, then 2 groups and 1 solo guy cracked all that was left in like a month. Was hilarious. Pretty sure the only things left are Fernbus Simulator and MVCI right now.

There are others according to the subreddit that follows the scene. Like 3 more

Kaako

Felium Defensor

Music to my ears. Fuck em.

ldcommando

Banned
There is CPY who started it first, then Baldman the solo guy and then Steampunks showed up.

Only ones that cracked the actual non Unity denuvo games.

sorry, was talking about the games. There are still 5 games to be cracked. The 2 you mentioned and 3 others

LordKasual

Banned
wait

Tekken 7 used Denuvo???? :O

Now I don't even care about it. I never noticed anything fishy about T7's performance.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
wait

Now I don't even care about it. I never noticed anything fishy about T7's performance.

Denuvo doesn't adversely affect performance. That it was responsible for Rime's higher-than-expected hardware requirements at launch is a myth.

Fluloco

wait

I'm pretty sure that Denuvo actually affecting performance is the biggest lie there is (It only affected Rime I think).

People are against Denuvo because it makes almost impossible for this games to work in the future, when the servers are out. Also, it blocks modding in a pretty big way, so that's another con.

pelican

I guess it's safe to say that Denuvo is done for good now, and good riddance! Tekken 7 went down even faster than Resident Evil 7 if I'm not mistaken. Denuvo is not anti-piracy but plain simple anti-consumer at this point.

Anti-consumer? How exactly?

Anti-consumer? How exactly?

It keeps the purchaser from having complete control of their product. Eventually the denuvo servers will go down (or the license between denuvo and the publisher will expire) and a lot of software that does a one-time check in will no longer work. Some go even further and check in every time they start.

That is anti-consumer. It's taking the choice away from the people who bought the software.

LordKasual

Banned
I'm pretty sure that Denuvo actually affecting performance is the biggest lie there is (It only affected Rime I think).

People are against Denuvo because it makes almost impossible for this games to work in the future, when the servers are out. Also, it blocks modding in a pretty big way, so that's another con.

Ohhhhhhhh

yeah thats pretty whack

It keeps the purchaser from having complete control of their product. Eventually the denuvo servers will go down (or the license between denuvo and the publisher will expire) and a lot of software that does a one-time check in will no longer work. Some go even further and check in every time they start.

That is anti-consumer. It's taking the choice away from the people who bought the software.

Is this what we think will happen, or what we know will happen?

Top Bottom