• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami's new CEO: Mobile is the future of gaming, is Konami's main platform

They will likely make a decent amount of money, but it's a damn shame that they destroyed their IPs and abandoned those who wanted to keep them great.

I hope for legislation against gacha pull and pay to decrease timer "game mechanics". This would leave all of these companies racing to take advantage of people, with no strategy forward.

Yes, please go all-in on mobile. Chart that brave course, Konami.

Valnen

I hope Konami will go bankrupt. Im sorry. I want them to be wrong in this one.

They deserve it for what they did to Kojima and Silent Hills. Fuck em.

(Though seriously, I don't want the innocent people that didn't make these decisions to be without work)

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Look at any thread on GAF about why a person chose a console over a PC and one of the most common replies is stuff is more hassle-free on consoles. "It just works". Mobile gaming takes that mentality to a whole new level, the barrier for entry, control method, ease of use and form factor are intensely more hassle free and convenient than consoles for many people these days. Especially in Japan they're willing to put up with visual or performance setbacks due to this convenience, much like people here don't care that games look and run significantly worse on PS4 than PC because it's more hassle-free playing it there.

control method, ease of use

Without wanting to sound snarky, the exact opposite is true. The control method is perhaps the worst thing about the entire experience. Touch screen controls are miserable, and always will be.

I know you can get some decent games on mobile now, the problem is that they are an absolute pig to actually play. Unless I have precise controls, I'm going to rage quit almost immediately.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
*looks on playstore*
joker_notsureifserious.jpg

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Incredible how a CEO can bury decades of gaming legacy with some stupid ass short sighted decisions. Even if the money it's on mobile, without any talent developing your games there's no hope for you.

AlucardGV

Banned
I wonder why AAA developers are jumping to C level gaming in mobile instead of B level gaming via digital direct?

i think mcdonalds makes way more money than the average restaurant

Incredible how a CEO can bury decades of gaming legacy with some stupid ass short sighted decisions. Even if the money it's on mobile, without any talent developing your games there's no hope for you.

they'll put that talent in making expecially good bad games

J4g3r

Can't wait to play Silent Hills in 10 parts which includes microtransactions to skip puzzles, dress up Norman Reedus, and an exclusive Pachinko mini-game.

Fuck.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I just realised that Metal Gear Solid Touch has been out for six years. Crazy. Definitely want to see what they can do with newer hardware.

I can do whatever I like. Phone or tablet (or output to TV). Clipped in or rested on something. With or without controller. Phone gaming is the portable version of PC gaming where that stuff is concerned. Choices, choices.

I didnt know that...and now I'm mad at you that I do.

o..m..g...

I hope this isnt the future for Metal Gear...

Tizoc

Mobile means you can't have inspired, imaginative, or interesting games?

I would like to present some evidence to support mobile having interesting games~

The problem with the big companies like Konami is that they're in it just for the quick buck rahter than releasing an actual good game in similar vein to the above.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Can't wait to play Silent Hills in 10 parts which includes microtransactions to skip puzzles, dress up Norman Reedus, and an exclusive Pachinko mini-game.

Fuck.

Because, you know, Konami has been releasing so many Silent Hill games otherwise.

Opiate

Yes, I also want every company that doesn't put out games I like to go bankrupt.

GAF, what has happened to you.

I think people are feeling threatened: the style of game they like (and the platforms they prefer) are gradually moving out of the "mainstream" or are being marginalized.

And that's true, to an extent, but it's not unique to gamers or this time period. The music you grow up with eventually moves out of the spotlight; jazz was replaced by classic rock was replaced by 80s rock was replaced by grunge was replaced by rap, and so forth. The style of movies you grow up with go out of style (think of the older people who feel that black and white films were the golden age of cinema, or that "talkies" somehow harmed the medium). It's just a natural consequence of a changing world; the stuff you like is eventually no longer hot shit.

And people don't like that feeling. I'm not saying that it's appropriate to be so irrationally angry about something that is a natural, inevitable process, but I understand where they're coming from, at least.

"Our main platform will be mobiles. Following the pay-as-you-play model of games like Power pro and Winning Eleven with additional content, our games must move from selling things like "items" to selling things like "features."

features like running faster, more ammo etc?

*sigh.. not like this man....not like this :(

MegaboyX

Neo Member
Mobile's already killed consoles in Japan.

It's chicken and the egg isn't it? Consumers will buy consoles if 1) the games are there and 2) they don't sell them for 9000+ freak'n yen. I know there are still many many people into console games but they have lost the casual market due to these factors. They are in a long recession and most people who aren't hardcore into it don't have the money to spend on current game prices.

Future

Can't argue with 1 million profit a day. Mobile also squashes the price barriers, used game debates, and everything that can dive into company profits. Games on consoles will eventually move into this format because, well, they will have to. The model of everyone selling their games after 1 month to by an expensive new release or wait till its on sale or used is not sustainable for everyone unless the game is extremely cheap to make

SparkTR

Without wanting to sound snarky, the exact opposite is true. The control method is perhaps the worst thing about the entire experience. Touch screen controls are miserable, and always will be.

I know you can get some decent games on mobile now, the problem is that they are an absolute pig to actually play. Unless I have precise controls, I'm going to rage quit almost immediately.

For me and you, sure. But for children, parents and new gamers in general, touch controls are some of the most intuitive stuff out there for nowcomers. Especially children take to touch control so easily, I've seen that first hand many times.

Also for me playing first-person shooters with a gamepad is a miserable experience, back in the late 90's this was an opinion held by the majority, gamepads suck for shooters compared to a mouse, they'll never catch on for the genre. And yet now that people have gotten used to them, they put up with their flaws due to convenience and now it feels right to them, a large portion of the market exclusively uses these imprecise gamepads to play these games. This will echo touch controls for certain genres. Pretty much every console shooter plays 'like a pig' to me, doesn't mean much when gamepads are more convenient and have a lower barrier for entry for most people.

I would like to present some evidence~

The problem with the big companies like Konami is that they're in it just for the quick buck rahter than releasing an actual good game in similar vein to the above.
To be fair, we got the excellent Hitman Go from Square Enix, MH Unite from Capcom, Dead Space from EA, etc.

Honestly Hitman Go is the gold standard IMO. It took the core concepts of the series, the methodical stealth-puzzle element, and built it from the ground up for mobile. The board game aesthetic didnt hurt either

Draxal

I think people are feeling threatened: the style of game they like (and the platforms they prefer) are gradually moving out of the "mainstream" or are being marginalized.

And that's true, to an extent, but it's not unique to gamers or this time period. The music you grow up with eventually moves out of the spotlight; jazz was replaced by classic rock was replaced by 80s rock was replaced by grunge was replaced by rap, and so forth. The style of movies you grow up with go out of style (think of the older people who feel that black and white films were the golden age of cinema, or that "talkies" somehow harmed the medium). It's just a natural consequence of a changing world; the stuff you like is eventually no longer hot shit.

And people don't like that feeling. I'm not saying that it's appropriate to be so irrationally angry about something that is a natural, inevitable process, but I understand where they're coming from, at least.

Japanese mobile games suffer from predatory tactics that target that gambling thrill with limited time Gatcha events. And it works so insanely well

I mean look at what Monster Strike is doing.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1045495

I really liked Monster Strike and Puzzle and Dragons, but I really don't like the gambling aspects of those games.

Zee-Row

Banned
Mobile's already killed consoles in Japan.

The execs there enabled that move though , Dragon Quest games aren't being put on consoles so why would Japanese players want to game on a console that doesn't have it? I'm sure if more Japanese established franchises were on PS4 they would sell a lot better there.

On one hand, I can see where they're coming from. The gaming industry has become more and more insular and overbloated, to the point that there's no middle ground and everything's either indie or AAA. Wanting to get out of that in favor of a market that offers high returns for low investments is one of the most sound business decisions you can make in any industry, regardless of who you are.

However, the way they've gone about it has been despicable. Basically thumbing their noses at people, disrespecting their talent and assuming that the mobile bubble will last forever wasn't the right way to go about things.

It's all about chasing that Clash of Clans money, but very few (if any) are going to see that kind of success.

Frostburn

I know the mobile game market has a ton of growth but as someone that started with an NES I fucking hate that companies are focusing so much on it.

I love my Vita and 3DS but as an adult my primary gaming preference will ALWAYS be on a TV or monitor hooked to to my gaming PC and consoles.

kiguel182

Mobile is definitely is here to stay and while it won't eliminate other gaming platforms it shouldn't be ignored and it's not as bad as people make it out to be.

What we need right now is more companies offering good games for it and for Google and Apple to start promoting a more premium environment that convinces people to pay for games instead of pouring money in skinner boxes.

There are still some ways to go but a strong mobile industry is a good thing for sure. Now I just need to buy an Ipad because my android tablet isn't cutting for it.

Lorcain

our games must move from selling things like "items" to selling things like "features."
Ugh. Selling features is one of the worst things to come out of the mobile gaming segment (and item/timer/lockout related IAPs). The sad thing is that it appears to work, and be very profitable. It's the lowest of the low hanging fruit.

silentQ

Can they just sell the Castlevania IP to Sony and From software already? Please...pretty please?

They really should if they aren't going to do anything meaningful with them. They may have to if you follow this vein to its logical conclusion. The MGS and Castlevania franchises become nearly worthless if you put them on a platform like mobile that cannot support them. I think selling them or licensing them out either actual Game Developmental companies rather than mobile money chasing devs would most likely be more profitable. I don't think theres much appeal in developing and selling these types of franchises and MGS Card Battle or whatever they will most likely become.

Steroyd

I mean... you see how this line of thinking can also be directly aimed at everyone in the AAA space actively trying to make the next GTA or COD, right?

Well yeah, that's why people hate seeing companies say they're dissapointed their game didn't sell 10 million in one day, complaining about the pool of diverse games shrinking or a genre disappearing because reasons and is heralding the rise of indies.

FLAguy954

aTurh8Z.gif

Honestly, I am not surprised. The writing has been on the wall for years in terms of their poor IP leverage and company direction. Konami died a long time ago if you ask me.

Steel

Banned
Saying that they are focusing aggressively on mobile doesn't exclude developing games for consoles.

In fact he says:"We hope that our overseas games such as MGSV and Winning Eleven continue to do well, but we are always thinking about how to push our franchises onto mobile there too."

He confirms console games will continue to be developed, but they are focusing on mobile too.

He said he wants the console games they're developing now to do well, note he specifically said MGSV. He then goes on to say that he's looking for opportunity to bring those IPs to mobile.

Well yeah, that's why people hate seeing companies say they're dissapointed their game didn't sell 10 million in one day, the pool of diverse games shrinking and is heralding the rise of indies.

Oh, I agree, I'm just saying short-sighted men in suits chasing fat money targets they can't ever reach is by no means solely the providence of the mobile space

Less risk, higher potential reward.

I've always thought these companies need to make multiple millions to stay afloat. AAA publishers kind of bought this on themselves since the market is hardly sustainable now. I've seen less 60 dollar games this gen than the last, and the last one before that.

AAA games are shrinking and costing too much to make, mobile is the new golden egg. Despite what many of us think about freemium games, people are willing to download a free app and pay far more money than what it's worth to keep playing.

At least until the mobile game market crashes.

I would like to present some evidence to support mobile having interesting games~

Monument Valley didn't make anywhere near the amounts Konami (and other large companies) are targeting.

It's not like Konami et al are pretending to release high quality mobile games; they clearly state they're in it to make ridiculous amounts of money. As we've discussed on GAF before, the way to that is to make addictive Skinner boxes.

I will defend mobile gaming to the ends of the earth, but I think we still need to acknowledge two big problems. First, like you said, there's a huge difference between someone like Konami and ustwo. For ustwo, mobile was the platform to execute an artistic vision. For Konami, mobile is a platform to exploit for cash via "gaming services." Second, as neat as Monument Valley is, it's still well within the minority. For every neat game I've played on iOS over the last year (80 Days, Terra Battle, Sorcery!, Sorcery! 2, Device 6, Framed, FF: Record Keeper, Threes), there's probably ten to twenty crappy knockoffs, clones and F2P monstrosities out there.

Mobile gaming is best realized in smaller indie developers right now, who use a touch-based, mobile platform for a vision. Not in huge corporations who try to make Skinner boxes.

Top Bottom