• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball FighterZ - Characters, Specials, and Stages Discussion

Yamcha, Tien and Ultimate Gohan. Any one of them could be DLC and no one would be overly upset. Ultimate Gohan is the biggest loss, but you already have Kid Gohan.
Tao Pai Pai over Ultimate Gohan? You're crazy lol Tien too I'd say. Yamcha is considered a joke by a lot of the fanbase but I like the idea of a baseball playstyle like Junpei.

Village

Funny how my whole about was about more divinity injecting fun into the game, keeping the game from becoming stale or boring so yea no shit bro. Diversity helps with fun! We're talking about wanting Tao in becomes it's good for gameplay.

I don't think I ever argued that. Its one of my critcisms of SFV actually, I don't think you can play a lot f characters in different ways and I see less variety of play. All karin matches look the damn same. My point was that most of the audience doesn't account or care about that, they just wanna play as ryu or ken, and they don't want to feel overwhelmed online.

That's the balance of making a fighting game roster, or lot of crossovers in general ( particularly in comics). You have to balance your interesting ideas, and things you want to animate and variant gameplay styles with the overwhelming reality of most of the audience isn't going to care about that they want to play as, popular character. And there are a lot of popular characters, so now they have balance that out.

I'm not saying gameplay isn't important. I'm not saying variant gameplay styles is important, i'm saying that to a majority of the audience , they don't care about that. Look at smash, folks playing melee still and smash 4, but even if smash is dumbed down and casual as hell, the value is sonic can punch mario and pac-man in the face for most of the audience.

All i'm saying is , decisions like that are made because they also need to consider those people. That's all I'm saying.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Tao Pai Pai over Ultimate Gohan would be such a stupid move you'd have a mob storming towards Bandai's office.

And I'd be selling the pitchforks and torches. Ultimate Gohan would be top 3 of everyone's wishlist if people didn't expect him in the game already.

I mean, they want Tao Pai Pai in a game with a limited roster that has to possibly represent 3 series and a bunch of movies. What do you expect?

Gohan is already in the game though. :V

sephi22

Gohan is already in the game though. :V
K then let's scrap Kid Goku since Goku's already in, and with him, all DB representation.

Cell Games Gohan, yes. But Ultimate/Mystic Gohan is different enough to justify a separate character slot.
Bros act like they want diversification of playstyles, but want to scrap the best CQC/taijutsu character after Hit because a younger ki based version is already in.

DrDogg

Tao Pai Pai over Ultimate Gohan would be such a stupid move you'd have a mob storming towards Bandai's office.

And I'd be selling the pitchforks and torches. Ultimate Gohan would be top 3 of everyone's wishlist if people didn't expect him in the game already.

I mean, they want Tao Pai Pai in a game with a limited roster that has to possibly represent 3 series and a bunch of movies. What do you expect?

Tao Pai Pai over Ultimate Gohan? You're crazy lol

I'm not saying I want TPP over Ultimate Gohan. I'm saying based on the list provided I could see UG moving to DLC to leave room for TPP. As I stated, Yamcha and Tien would take priority, but I could totally see them moving UG to DLC and placing TPP in the base roster instead.

Plus it's not like fans would know TPP "replaced" UG.

I-hate-u

There is no dimension, and I don't mean this like "my favorite character is better !" as I hate both, but there is NO dimension, where that trash Zamasu (or merged Zamasu) would make it over Black.

I agree with you that Black > any form of Zamasu, but the latter is much more fitted for a fighting game of this type. Like Neoxon said, he covers both Black and Zamasu and is not a clone visually of a Goku.

I still feel like Caulifla may be DLC, so I'd swap her for Whis and Zamasu for Goku Black (because popularity). That said, I do personally think Merged Zamasu is the best call since he covers both Zamasu & Goku Black's potential moves.

Whis fans probably will feel disappointed. It would be neat to see him, but unlike Beerus, I don't really expect to.

We haven't really seen Whis fight, and he won't see him fight in a long time. He is awesome, but they would have to fill a lot of blanks to put him in the game.

Beerus is actually an established character now, him and Black are the only ones I can see coming in. Cailifula is too new, and Hit is nothing.

DrDogg

Whis fans probably will feel disappointed. It would be neat to see him, but unlike Beerus, I don't really expect to.

I kind of feel like some characters almost have to come in pairs. Can you really have Beerus without Whis? It would just feel like one would be missing if they weren't both in there. I feel the same way about Android 17 and 18, and to a lesser extent 16.

Neoxon

Beerus is actually an established character now, him and Black are the only ones I can see coming in. Cailifula is too new, and Hit is nothing.
You're kinda underestimating Hit's popularity. As mentioned before, he was popular enough for Dimps to squeeze Hit into Xenoverse 2's base roster at the last minute.

We haven't really seen Whis fight, and he won't see him fight in a long time. He is awesome, but they would have to fill a lot of blanks to put him in the game.
They have the Xenoverse games to go off of for Whis, right?

I'm not saying I want TPP over Ultimate Gohan. I'm saying based on the list provided I could see UG moving to DLC to leave room for TPP. As I stated, Yamcha and Tien would take priority, but I could totally see them moving UG to DLC and placing TPP in the base roster instead.

Oh okay I get what you say. There are already people complaining in Smash about characters stealing other character's spots tho so people would complain (but then again, some people in this thread would also complain about Super characters possibily being in the game). Isn't Kid/Teen/Young Gohan known as only Gohan in the current build? Maybe they are indeed saving UG for DLC. What do you think about Kid Buu's chances? Base roster or DLC?

sephi22

They absolutely would. Unless they put in a character less popular than him. "They put X over Ultimate Gohan?" will become a talking point just like people are cursing Arthur and Firebrands inclusion over Phoenix Wright and Vergil in MVCI.

Sure his DLC will sell shit tons. But they will piss off a lot of day one fans. Every casual DBZ YouTuber has Ultimate Gohan in their roster predictions already and they are going for conservative 20-ish character roster.

Slaythe

I agree with you that Black > any form of Zamasu, but the latter is much more fitted for a fighting game of this type. Like Neoxon said, he covers both Black and Zamasu and is not a clone visually of a Goku.

But he doesn't at all ? Merged Zamasu fights nothing like Black.

I doubt they care about visual clones as long as they make sense and they're unique. They had "holy order SOL" for instance.

There's a difference between having Goku and Goku Black, or 17 and 18, that look similar but fight in unique ways, and having 10 versions of the same Goku just with different hairstyle and maybe a super if we're lucky.

DrDogg

You're kinda underestimating Hit's popularity. As mentioned before, he was popular enough for Dimps to squeeze Hit into Xenoverse 2's base roster at the last minute.

Is Hit more popular than the female Saiyans though? I'm only up to the tail end of the Goku Black arc (so sick of him), and I thought Hit was great, but I can't see him getting in over Goku Black or the female Saiyans. Not unless they're holding them for DLC and still want Super representation in the base roster.

Neoxon

Is Hit more popular than the female Saiyans though? I'm only up to the tail end of the Goku Black arc (so sick of him), and I thought Hit was great, but I can't see him getting in over Goku Black or the female Saiyans. Not unless they're holding them for DLC and still want Super representation in the base roster.
It's too soon for either of the U6 female Saiyans.

Slaythe

The female super saiyans didn't even exist when they started making the roster, the fact that they add Caulifla at last minute just to have less sausages is a possibility, but she certainly won't replace anybody.

Fj0823

Hit at least has a likeable personality when he's not murdering people for money

He's the Crombopulus Michael of his Universe.

Broly is just really mad, because Goku was crying that one time,for like, an hour...

LotusHD

Banned

He does not cover both lol, they fight pretty differently, even if Zamasu could theoretically use Black's moveset, he has a lot of different shit that he'd use instead judging from the anime.

If Black did make it in, people will get over it once they see what he can do compared to Goku, not to mention the character is popular anyhow among who've watched Super.

That's part of why I don't see it. Also he's the one character where I wouldn't be that surprised if they just kept him as that character you see, but never get to fight, assuming we see him at all.

Hit is not nothing lol, he's one of the most obvious characters to use to represent Super other than Beerus, his moveset is something I'd really like to see how it'd get implemented.

I kind of feel like some characters almost have to come in pairs. Can you really have Beerus without Whis? It would just feel like one would be missing if they weren't both in there. I feel the same way about Android 17 and 18, and to a lesser extent 16.

I wouldn't be surprised if only Beerus gets in, but we see Whis in some non-playable form.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Article implying that we are going to get more variety in term of characters and their movesets, I surly hope so.

Beerus, Gotenks, Piccolo, Androids. They should be in the game since I know they could bring more flavors to the battles.

No Tao Pai Pai..... ;_;

I'm not surprised with that.

Lulubop

I don't think I ever argued that. Its one of my critcisms of SFV actually, I don't think you can play a lot f characters in different ways and I see less variety of play. All karin matches look the damn same. My point was that most of the audience doesn't account or care about that, they just wanna play as ryu or ken, and they don't want to feel overwhelmed online.

That's the balance of making a fighting game roster, or lot of crossovers in general ( particularly in comics). You have to balance your interesting ideas, and things you want to animate and variant gameplay styles with the overwhelming reality of most of the audience isn't going to care about that they want to play as, popular character. And there are a lot of popular characters, so now they have balance that out.

I'm not saying gameplay isn't important. I'm not saying variant gameplay styles is important, i'm saying that to a majority of the audience , they don't care about that. Look at smash, folks playing melee still and smash 4, but even if smash is dumbed down and casual as hell, the value is sonic can punch mario and pac-man in the face for most of the audience.

All i'm saying is , decisions like that are made because they also need to consider those people. That's all I'm saying.

And I'm saying to dismiss people who wants diversity for the sake of gameplay is ridiculous and why diversity if good and important for a fighter, DBZ especially because let's be real at the end of the day most the cast is going to be punchy beam men. I know why the popular characters get in, it's obvious. That doesn't mean the other side has to be dismissed.

I-hate-u

I haven't played Xeno much.

But he doesn't at all ? Merged Zamasu fights nothing like Black.

I doubt they care about visual clones as long as they make sense and they're unique. They had "holy order SOL" for instance.

There's a difference between having Goku and Goku Black, or 17 and 18, that look similar but fight in unique ways, and having 10 versions of the same Goku just with different hairstyle and maybe a super if we're lucky.

Trust me I would love to have Black over M.Zamasu even just to hear more of Nozowa's voice, but M.Zamasu is probably who is going to be put in the game.

Edit: It's not outlandish to give M.Zamasu B.Goku's moves.

DrDogg

They absolutely would. Unless they put in a character less popular than him. "They put X over Ultimate Gohan?" will become a talking point just like people are cursing Arthur and Firebrands inclusion over Phoenix Wright and Vergil in MVCI.

Sure his DLC will sell shit tons. But they will piss off a lot of day one fans. Every casual DBZ YouTuber has Ultimate Gohan in their roster predictions already and they are going for conservative 20-ish character roster.

I see what you're saying, but if TPP was the only character from DB then I can see an argument for adding him instead of a second version of Gohan. I'm sure the fans would still be upset, but let's face it, no matter what the final roster is (within reason), lots of fans are going to be upset. There's basically no way to avoid that.

It's too soon for either of the U6 female Saiyans.

Right now it's too soon, but would it still be too soon in March? I've got to imagine the development team is working closely with the anime/manga team so they know what's coming well ahead of time. I'm sure they knew about the female Saiyans before it was necessary to finalize the roster.

Oh okay I get what you say. There are already people complaining in Smash about characters stealing other character's spots tho so people would complain (but then again, some people in this thread would also complain about Super characters possibily being in the game). Isn't Kid/Teen/Young Gohan known as only Gohan in the current build? Maybe they are indeed saving UG for DLC. What do you think about Kid Buu's chances? Base roster or DLC?

If the roster is 20 or less I don't see Buu as the most likely candidate for a second character slot. Maybe I'm under-selling Buu's popularity, but I don't think we'll see many repeat characters taking up slots in the base roster at all, let alone a second Buu over any number of Gohan or Goku variants.

dlauv

I don't see why not. It's part of the creative process when working with finite resources and an established fanbase.

Village

And I'm saying to dismiss people who wants diversity for the sake of gameplay is ridiculous and why diversity if good and important for a fighter, DBZ especially because let's be real at the end of the day most the cast is going to be punchy beam men. I know why the popular characters get in, it's obvious. That doesn't mean the other side has to be dismissed.

I don't think anyone is dismissing you. I'm just saying adjust your expectations. Maybe taopaipai was a bit too left. I have some desires like that too, those super hero looking guys from super with the red and black suits I would love to play them in a DBZ fighting game, they might actually have interesting movesets, and look cool. I'm not going to suggest i'm being dismissed if he doesn't make it in, because who the fuck cares about those guys besides me.

sephi22

I see what you're saying, but if TPP was the only character from DB then I can see an argument for adding him instead of a second version of Gohan. I'm sure the fans would still be upset, but let's face it, no matter what the final roster is (within reason), lots of fans are going to be upset. There's basically no way to avoid that.

Sure, but skipping on TPP would be least damaging and would lead to least fan outcry for a single character being cut imo.

Again, I don't know shit about TPP and don't mind his inclusion as long as the roster is big enough to accommodate all the essential popular picks.

I just wanted to tell people not to write off DB representation completely because an obscure character like TPP isn't in and it's somehow turned into me vs. TPP lol

I think it'd be fun to see Beerus with some sort of built-in Whis assist.

It would also be neat if Beerus was about to annihilate the opponent, but then Whis knocks him out lol
Very possible since context specific assists are in (Frieza with his follower assist after he recovers from golden form)

Lulubop

I don't think anyone is dismissing you. I'm just saying adjust your expectations. Maybe taopaipai was a bit too left. I have some desires like that too, those super hero looking guys from super with the red and black suits I would love to play them in a DBZ fighting game, they might actually have interesting movesets, and look cool. I'm not going to suggest i'm being dismissed if he doesn't make it in, because who the fuck cares about those guys besides me.

What, the whole reason I got into this was because how dismissive a poster was

Fj0823

I think it'd be fun to see Beerus with some sort of built-in Whis assist.

As others have said, his Ultimate should be him destroying the stage along with the opponent and Whis Jumping in to fix it so the battle continues.

Time for a crakguess that will never happen. What About Universe Deviantart's own God of Destruction??

latest

He looks cool, I'd main him

DrDogg

It would also be neat if Beerus was about to annihilate the opponent, but then Whis knocks him out lol

What if Bulma had the Whis assist? She holds up some food and Whis comes down, executes an attack, grabs the food and leaves?

You're welcome.

Sure, but skipping on TPP would be least damaging and would lead to least fan outcry for a single character being cut imo.

Again, I don't know shit about TPP and don't mind his inclusion as long as the roster is big enough to accommodate all the essential popular picks.

I just wanted to tell people not to write off DB representation completely because an obscure character like TPP isn't in and it's somehow turned into me vs. TPP lol

Who are we assuming are the essential popular picks? Can we really place a second version of a character in that list if the base roster is 20 or less?

sephi22

Who are we assuming are the essential popular picks? Can we really place a second version of a character in that list if the base roster is 20 or less?
If it's Gohan? Absolutely. I would even say if there was only going to be one Gohan it should've been Ultimate, since that seems to be his strongest form.

As for the roster, I already posted Slaythes roster of 21 characters. If you want to start cutting characters, Tien, Yamcha, Videl go first, then the movie characters since they can be sold as DLC. Then Roshi. Everyone else is essential. Regardless of who gets cut, no way Tao Pai Pai is getting in a <20 man roster anyway.

Slaythe

Check the OT to see who is guaranteed to make it in.

The second version of characters are not taking anybody's spots, they're done relatively quick and it's mostly for fan service and to add two more characters easily I guess.

It's not like they went "hey we need another Goku in place of Whis", more like "well this is it... I guess we can add another Goku in the timespan, it's not a lot of work".

Thinking about female characters, Videl could actually be a really cool straight rushdown character, since I don't think she uses Ki attacks at all in the series.

DrDogg

If it's Gohan? Absolutely. I would even say if there was only going to be one Gohan it should've been Ultimate, since that seems to be his strongest form.

As for the roster, I already posted Slaythes roster of 21 characters. If you want to start cutting characters, Tien, Yamcha, Videl go first, then the movie characters since they can be sold as DLC. Then Roshi. Everyone else is essential. Regardless of who gets cut, no way Tao Pai Pai is getting in a <20 man roster anyway.

I'd rather see no duplicates in the base roster, but I can agree with this.

Check the OT to see who is guaranteed to make it in.

The second version of characters are not taking anybody's spots, they're done relatively quick and it's mostly for fan service and to add two more characters easily I guess.

It's not like they went "hey we need another Goku in place of Whis", more like "well this is it... I guess we can add another Goku in the timespan, it's not a lot of work".

Where did the list in the OT come from? I'm not getting the impression SSB is a lock at all, at least not for the base roster.

Also, Ultimate Gohan and even Goku Black would take a decent amount of development time. Maybe not as much as a completely new character in the case of Goku Black, but both would require completely new move sets and mostly new animations. This is especially in the case of Ultimate Gohan unless he borrows a lot of SSJ Goku's moves, which would kind of be a waste imo.

sephi22

I think Slaythe is referring to SSB Goku and Vegeta with that quote and not Teen Gohan vs Adult Gohan.

Palette swaps like SSB Saiyans remove the months of modelling and animation time. Also voiceover work. All they need are different specials, assists and supers and can be added as "nearly free" characters to pad out the base roster without needing to replace another character.

Gohan vs Ultimate gohan are obviously different characters. Goku Black is somewhere in the middle. His visuals can just be copy pasted, but his moveset has to be mostly original

Moaradin

Thinking about female characters, Videl could actually be a really cool straight rushdown character, since I don't think she uses Ki attacks at all in the series.

I'm really interested in seeing how they would handle that type of character. Seems like the game is relying pretty heavily on Ki attacks and being able to teleport, which would limit that kind of character.

RocBase

That interview lol.... RIP Tao Pai Pai fans. What makes this hilariously scathing is that he was probably the most requested DB character from what I've seen.

Top Bottom