• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why did Mega Drive/Genesis games not have special chips in them? Á la Snes

dogen

TL:DR cause it can already do this lol

img.php

Wasn't the SNES designed with the enhancement chips in mind? I just assumed Sega didn't do the same and it's more complicated than simply throwing chips onto a game cartridge.

EDIT: Yeah, reading online it seems the SNES was designed for these extra chips. Standard games only use so many pins on the cartridge slot, while games with special chips use them all.

KH4Syl9.jpg

Standard game on top, game with an enhancement chip on the bottom.

EDIT 2: The Shadow knows.

Nuu

Banned
There's a big difference. One is a drive-by ignorant post, the other is not.

The SNES CPU was more powerful, the fact that it is slower doesn't mean they "cheapened out".

I could say the same thing about the Genesis sound chip. Sega was cheap and used a old and cheap sound chip.

I'm sorry but you're the one being ignorant here. It is widely known the the SNES CPU was weaker than the Genesis, and Nintendo did that on purpose in order to sell the console more profitable and use cheaps in the carts in select games instead. The system was designed ground up for such technology.

Oemenia

Banned
Nothing comes close to Donkey Kong Country or Seiken 3. But the color palette is a different topic.
Interesting, what do you have to say about the GPUs of both systems?

Toy Story looks even better than DKC imo, and the Genesis/Mega Drive version is the best one. There's also Sonic 3D Blast.
Those are the exact two games I was thinking of. Sonic 3D looks both smooth and colourful even on non SD displays, to this day I have no idea how they did it.

Oh wow, thought it was 86, but yeah, weird how great the colour depth was on the PCE for the time. Also, Snes has less on screen colours. Weird.

I would like to know how much money sega saved on that decision and what the hardware engineer must have thought about it.

I also want to bring up that the Neo Geo could only shrink sprites. It couldn't scale them bigger than their default size nor rotate them.

Man, all the 16bit machines were so weird in their trade offs.

Wait, so how do the zooms in art of fighting work then?

jett

D-Member
The SNES, like the NES before it, was pretty much designed with additional chips in mind. It had pathways between the cartridge slot and the main board to allow this. The Genesis on the other hand wasn't really designed with this kind of "up-gradable" path. Most consoles weren't, so the NES and SNES were unique in that regard.

This made it easier for SNES developers to add effects, with the con that it was more expensive because they had to buy additional roms from Nintendo, or in the case of some developers like Capcom, develop their own chips. The Genesis on the other hand had a faster CPU, so equivalent effects could be done in software, albeit with a little bit of coding mastery. This is why games like Doom were possible on the SNES (and didn't even appear on Genesis IIRC), whereas games like Hard Drivin' which were entirely software based, ran much better on the Genesis.

It's arguable, because it pushed back the responsibility of adding chips back on developers. It also made the manufacture of SNES consoles much lower for Nintendo. Cheapened out, or shrewd business decision. Neither's really wrong, just depends on how you feel about it.
image.php

You know, the kid in your avatar is probably a grown up by now.

lazygecko

I think ultimately, the prospect of co-processors came down to developers needing them to help realize their vision for game design, rather than any extra graphical features and such. Processing power was very much intertwined with what you could do game design wise, and the Genesis' faster CPU making it a much more flexible machine out of the box meant putting less roadblocks for the creative vision of developers. Putting in expensive co-processors just for the sake of making a game look prettier would be a much more superficial reason.

The SNES version has loading screens for god's sake. Come to think of it, those were in the SNES version of Mickey Mania too, which was also a total hack-job port.

Was it? I was under the impression that Mickey Mania was a pretty good example of pushing the vanilla SNES in features, all things considered.

Wait, so how do the zooms in art of fighting work then?

Easy. When zoomed in the sprites are displayed at their native size.

Snes hardware was better from a technical point of view although some would argue this its probrably more an art direction rather than a physical limitation or a combination.

The extra chips added were more to accommodate 3d into game's as the original hardware was not designed with that in mind

Nintendo and sega had about the same amoumt of ganes with the added chips from memory but nintendo are probably remembered more because of starfox

One thing I have always wondered. What limits are there to adding chips to carts? Can someone add some custom, powerful chips today and have the snes do some crazy shit?

One thing I have always wondered. What limits are there to adding chips to carts? Can someone add some custom, powerful chips today and have the snes do some crazy shit?

https://www.destructoid.com/super-road-blaster-the-impossible-laserdisc-to-snes-port-228189.phtml

There are limits, but more importantly, the possibilities were never fully realized due to cost.

You know, the kid in your avatar is probably a grown up by now.

I try not to think about things like that. Time is passing by way too fast for my comfort.

I know some of this has been said, but:

The reason is that Sega decided to sell hardware addons instead of put more addon chips into the carts. This wasn't only about the Genesis, but it was a longstanding practice that both companies had done the previous generation as well -- think of how most NES games have addon chips in the carts, while instead of doing something similar to make their first console, the SG-1000, more competitive compared to the Famicom (which was crushing the SG-1000 in sales and has better graphics too), Sega chose to release an upgraded version of the system instead, the one we know of as the Master System.

The next generation, both companies continued similarly. So, like the NES before it many SNES games use addon chips, from the DSP to the Super FX, and the system was designed around having addon chips in carts to improve on the hardware in the box. Sega could have put addon chips in Genesis games, but did not; as the OP said, only one game, Virtua Racing, uses an addon chip, and instead of releasing more, Sega released addons. Unlike the previous generation this time the addons, the Sega CD and 32X, do work with the original system, though Sega of Japan's original idea that led to the 32X was a new, slightly better Genesis revision (with a larger color palette, if I remember right), an idea Sega of America disliked, arguing for an addon instead.

Now, Nintendo did release addons for their systems too, but unlike Sega it was not done to add to the hardware power, but instead to change the delivery medium -- the Famicom Disk System (which does have slightly better audio hardware than the NES, but otherwise is unchanged from the base model), the Satellaview (again audio is the only gameplay change, as streaming audio is added, otherwise it's a SNES), and 64DD (which is just N64 with writeable disks). Of course, the Sega CD also changed the delivery medium, and Nintendo was also working on a CD addon for their system, but the Sega CD has enhanced graphical hardware, with added hardware sprite scaling and rotation support, that the SNES CD would not have had, since we now know that it was pretty much just a disc drive for the SNES... and Nintendo cancelled the SNES CD, partially because of disagreements with Sony sure, but ultimately because they decided to stick with carts.

So, the answer to the OP's question is simple, it reflects the different design philosophies of Nintendo and Sega about how to go beyond their systems' base hardware limitations, towards addon chips in carts, or hardware revisions and addons. There are good arguments that can be made either way, as having addon chips in carts makes game prices higher and only allows the games with those chips to benefit from the added power, while all Sega CD or 32X (or Master System) games can benefit from the added power those systems offer, but in practice Nintendo's approach proved to be the more popular one with most consumers, as we all know. Top-end addon-chips like the Super FX added a lot to SNES game prices, and the same was true for the SVP chip in Virtua Racing for the Genesis, but people have far higher expectations in terms of game support and such for a full addon like the 32X than they do an addon chip like the Super FX, and that came back to hurt Sega badly in the mid '90s as they started abandoning systems after only a couple of years. Releasing fewer platforms but supporting each one for longer, and enhancing a current platform's visuals with addon chips instead of hardware expansions, was the commercially better move at that time.

(If you look at the third major console maker then, NEC/Hudson, they released a mountain of addons and revisions for the PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16, and even in Japan where the system did a lot better than it did here, that probably did eventually hurt them. You can only divide your userbase so many times before it gets too small. NEC made lots of other mistakes too, including getting crushed by the SNES in Japan, completely messing up their Western strategy, not hitting on the right followup to the PCE, and completely missing that gaming was going to go towards polygonal graphics and not FMV, but having so many addons/revisions didn't help either.)

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
haha cool thread i own a sd2snes ans i just got super mario world 2
that super fx,
any nerd willing to tell me what it actually did?

i am thinking about the moving 3d things in castles

rrs

that super fx,

It worked as a framebuffer based rendering chip that allowed multiple parallax layers and large sprites that can be transformationed

cireza

Toy Story says hi.
I was talking about colors here. DKC has gradients that you could never dream of on Genesis, because the palette has a lot more available colors.

Interesting, what do you have to say about the GPUs of both systems?
Nothing because I am not a technical person anyway. I simply talk about how I feel when playing the games, and you can pretty much witness the CPU advantage of the Genesis after playing most of the games on both systems. Also the console outputted most of its games at a higher resolution (that's only one example).

The SNES however displays much better gradients, combine this with its ability to make transparency, you get some extremely pretty and refined graphics in many games. But that's pure pixel-art, it does not involve "moving stuff on the screen". They both have very different strengths.

Otherwise, Sonic 3D and Toy Story are some of the games that make the best use of the Genesis color palette. Also, Jurassic Park Lost World has some pretty impressive green gradients (as well as some crazy special scenes). If you don't know about this game, definitely check it out.

The SNES didn't need cart chips for mode 7. The reason the SNES needed extra chips for certain effects was just to help the SNES CPU with extra calculations to achieve those effects without the console dropping to 1 fps.

Super Mario Kart used an additional chip called the DSP-1 to produce two mode 7 playing fields in split screen. But otherwise, Mode 7 was an effect that was built into the VPU.

that super fx,

There are polygon elements used in the game, but the Super FX2 chip was mostly used for sprite manipulation. If you pay attention to the game, there are rotating sprites, scaling sprites, and sprite deformation (like stretch and squash) everywhere. It was used to enhance the 2D abilities of the SNES.

thanks now i feel stupid.

It's basically another CPU and another RAM chunk and a bunch of memory shuffling wires that compensate for the fact SNES pixel format is a little crazy and unsuitable for software rendering of most stuff. This CPU typically runs something that manipulates bitmaps, similarly to DOS and early Windows games, and SNES CPU can then use these as if these were on the cart.

cireza

Super Mario Kart used an additional chip called the DSP-1 to produce two mode 7 playing fields in split screen. But otherwise, Mode 7 was an effect that was built into the VPU.
I believe that the chip allowed for wider mode 7 areas (bigger circuits), as well as displayed some 2D elements on the circuit (pipes etc...).

Street Racer, which does not use a chip, as much smaller circuits, and nothing is displayed in 2D except for the racers themselves.

Can we also talk about how the MegaDrive came out two years after the pc engine yet had the ability to only display a fraction of the colours on screen at once?

The worst thing about that system.

It's definitely the most strange choice for the MD's hardware setup. It was fine for the first years, but when the games started to copycat the Donkey Kong Country CGI look it murdered multiplats on the MD, they looks terrible because of the lack of colours and how they blend compared to the SNES. Not that CGI looking sprite games were very good in general except DKC.

IrishNinja

kinda already been said but

a) they did sometimes
b) they had console add-ons, as in plural, lessening the need here
c) they bailed on the 16-bit gen earlier than nintendo did, also lessening the need to use such chips to elongate said gen (not saying this is a bad thing, mind)
d) it's the GOAT console and they got it right the first time

Gameplay-wise, you can put a, say, 360 game into a SNES cart, and you can pipe the audio into the system, but regarding enhancing video output, there is a limit and SuperFX2 is apparently close to hitting it. You can only transfer so much data into PPU's RAM without turning off the screen, manipulating data while screen is on is heavily limited, and hilariously, while PPU chips themselves apparently allow a limited 128-color passthrough mode (a'la audio piping) the motherboard doesn't wire them in a way that allows the cart to use it for, well, video passthrough. And obviously you can't get something like 24-bit color from PPU out of nowhere. The same is true on Genny, that's why 32X features the video-to-video cable.

Dehnus

Every respect. Even the music is better on Genesis imo.

The SNES version has loading screens for god's sake. Come to think of it, those were in the SNES version of Mickey Mania too, which was also a total hack-job port.

It's because the databus of the SNES is extremely narrow. Many games had loading screens without you noticing. Everybody attacks Megaman X2 for those "empty chambers", but nobody really realizes why that is. The time it takes you to get through that was to allow the rest of the level to be loaded in the background. By the time you started passing through the first part of the door, it would start writing in the second part of the level. Then during the time you take to traverse the path and going through the other door, it would have the necessary seconds to load the rest of the stage.

Yes, the SNES was THAT bandwidth constrained! The reason SuperFX games can look so flashy (but still have low Framerates compared to Megadrive games) is that they use the full DMA to just stream the framebuffer from the cart to SNES memory. Basically your entire console is on the cart, safe for some things like sound. The CPU is completely bypassed.

On top of this, people that say the Megadrive couldn't do this are wrong. The Megadive had similar expansion capabilities, and infact would have been able to store more pallettes had SEGA released the proper mappers. It would have been easier had SEGA connected the lines from the VDP to the cart that allowed for it to be done directly, but since it is possible to switch pallettes in between lineinterupts, one could just make a mapper that stored a bank of pallettes in memory and loaded the ones you needed per scanline. Still limited but it is what some games already do in software.).

Sound wise the megadrive also was a BEAST, the problem was more US developers got very shitty drivers, and were not used to writing their own. The one released to them was a crappy windows wave form editor that simply sounded like crap. I mean check out what renovation did with that chip! Or Technosoft. And that is without SEGA even connecting all the interrupt lines to either CPU or even the cartridge port. A big mistake as had they connected all of the interupts? That YM2612 would have been able to sample multiple channels with little to no CPU overhead, now you needed to poll to get the state of the playback rather than listen for an interrupt request:(.

I mean even if they hadn't connected it to the CPU, but just to a few pins extra on the cart pinout. They could have released a "SEGA Audio controller mapper" then, that would allow for mixing of PCM channels to compliment that awesome FM sound. (Yes FM is awesome, if you know how it works. Which many US developers didn't. Japanese and European developers however.... :D..eargasms! :D).

Celine

The SNES, like the NES before it, was pretty much designed with additional chips in mind. It had pathways between the cartridge slot and the main board to allow this. The Genesis on the other hand wasn't really designed with this kind of "up-gradable" path. Most consoles weren't, so the NES and SNES were unique in that regard.

This made it easier for SNES developers to add effects, with the con that it was more expensive because they had to buy additional roms from Nintendo, or in the case of some developers like Capcom, develop their own chips. The Genesis on the other hand had a faster CPU, so equivalent effects could be done in software, albeit with a little bit of coding mastery. This is why games like Doom were possible on the SNES (and didn't even appear on Genesis IIRC), whereas games like Hard Drivin' which were entirely software based, ran much better on the Genesis.

It's arguable, because it pushed back the responsibility of adding chips back on developers. It also made the manufacture of SNES consoles much lower for Nintendo. Cheapened out, or shrewd business decision. Neither's really wrong, just depends on how you feel about it.
What The shadow said.

Dehnus

gonna be twice soon

Oh? someone building something in Homebrew? Neat, but still would rather have someone making a nice mapperIC for homebrew with a small framebuffer. One that can rotate and scale sprites ;). Imagine an Afterburner clone with fully scalable sprites ;).

It's definitely the most strange choice for the MD's hardware setup. It was fine for the first years, but when the games started to copycat the Donkey Kong Country CGI look it murdered multiplats on the MD, they looks terrible because of the lack of colours and how they blend compared to the SNES. Not that CGI looking sprite games were very good in general except DKC.

In my humble opinion the palette entry width was responsible for that, while "colors on screen at once" sounds like palette entry count which, while weaker on Genny than on competing systems, is not nearly such a boon (and can be enhanced by switching the palette entries during h-blanks which is apparently bad on SNES?).

Dehnus

Please don't compare the image of a emulated Meg to an Emulated SNES. Much like FM in emulation: It doesn't do it justice.

A lot of the developers wanting to use photo realistic sprites, used techniques that used scanlines and the way televisions at the time drew their image to their advantage. It is why translucency effects are no big issue on a Saturn either. A CRT television will show that blocky image as a translucent one. But if you run it in emulation on our current day LCD screens? Yeah it look sworse.

Try playing Metal Slug on the NeoGeo, the first stage, just before the endboss.
With the parrots flying through the pixilated waterfall? On a CRT screen that looks beautiful, with the waterfall seemingly translucent and even misty, and the parrots flying through that. On your modern day computer screen? It's a raster mesh mess! :p.

Also keep in mind that another technique to handle translucency and more than the illusion of more colors is "flickering". CRT screens use a phosphor layer to glow. And thus flickering can be used to generate a different color or translucent effect. Now on your modern day CRT this looks ugly, but that flickering shadow of your PSOne, Saturn, NeoGeo, SNES or Megadrive game will look like a translucent shadow on an old CRT ;).

Developers weren't nuts back then you know, those straight lines downward? On a Megadrive? Like in the Lionking? Those get blended with the rest to create the illusion of more colours on screen on a CRT :D.

hodgy100

https://www.destructoid.com/super-road-blaster-the-impossible-laserdisc-to-snes-port-228189.phtml

There are limits, but more importantly, the possibilities were never fully realized due to cost.

Whoa that's amazing.

eh its not that impressive, the limiter here is rom space the megadrive is just as capable of it (though with less colours tbf)

It could've used some help in the display of simultaneous colors department... or the sound department, for that matter.

it could have done with better tools for sure, but the megadrives sound chip is fine and is capable of great music.

https://youtu.be/Xln0a0HIX5Y

PantsuJo

Cool, some people started a Nintendo x SEGA discussion.

Nostalgic. Please do continue.
Finally I can dive into the nostalgia sea and take out my SEGA flag again.

Megadrive >>>>> SNES, fight me GAF.

Joke, I love both.

Maybe the Megadrive hardware was a bit more future proof than SNES, at the beginning...? It didn't need additional hardware, aside from Virtua Racing. I don't know honestly.

lazygecko

eh its not that impressive, the limiter here is rom space the megadrive is just as capable of it (though with less colours tbf)

it could have done with better tools for sure, but the megadrives sound chip is fine and is capable of great music.

It even beats the SNES at its own game in some key regards to PCM samples. Due to the way the SPC chip is built, the sounds you have loaded in its RAM during gameplay is essentially locked and cannot be refreshed without very noticeable freezes. Whereas the Genesis can simply load and unload samples as they are needed, which is a pretty huge advantage.

Games by Treasure which made quite extensive use of PCM for both music and ingame sound effects/voices (and with pretty clear sound quality I might add) flat out could not be done on the SNES with nearly the same scope and/or quality. And you can notice this kind of creative limitation in action in games on both systems by Tommy Tallarico like Earthworm Jim where they had to cut back on the variety of SFX and voice clips quite a bit.

On the SNES you had to worry about memory limitations for both the cart space and sound chip, while on the Genesis you pretty much just had to worry about cart space. This limitation also led to indirectly compromising the sound quality on SNES games that had to fit in a lot of PCM effects and voices alongside the music samples, since you had to cut sample rate fidelity across the board to fit it all in at once, leading to that "muffled" sound (which really has little if anything to do with the 32khz output which some seem to blame it on)

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Yeah, but the building (and the sidewalk) has per line parallax scrolling, so it looks awesome.

Man the Genesis was just a beast with parallax stuff wasn't it? Saw someone play Sonic 2 yesterday and I never really took a moment to notice all the layers in the first level until now, it's kinda insane. Lovely piece of hardware it was.

Maybe the Megadrive hardware was a bit more future proof than SNES, at the beginning...? It didn't need additional hardware, aside from Virtua Racing. I don't know honestly.

The SNES CPU was basically a revised version of NES CPU while Genny's 68k was an industry standard, in the times when coding most or all of the game in assembly was normal and expected, so it was almost by definition friendlier to programmers. At the same time some elements of whole MD are weaker, which is not really surprising since it launched in Japan two years or so earlier. You'll also notice that games which arrived on Genny generally didn't use extra chips on SNES either.

Both systems could have been cheaply improved, from the perspective of time, but hindsight is useless. Sega has really dropped the ball with tech design of add-ons though.

Top Bottom