• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

An UK magazine reveals future interesting details for PSP

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Neo Child said:
How many shoulder buttons did the Ps1 have?
cabbiegif7nu1ns3jq.gif

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Jimbob said:
They're also making a universal translator for PSP aswell apparently. How exciting! Was this announced? Heard it from Mark Froggat (lead programmer at Sony SCEE). He gave a talk not long ago I went to. Talked about PS3 and PSP in quite some detail.

Hold on are you serious?

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
SolidSnakex said:
No he's just saying there are already games that will take advantage of the GPS.
Ah your right, was kinda reading out of context. sorry. I wonder what those games are.

Neo Child said:
Man this forum ain't with it today.

Well,

-The PSone controller is iconic, come now
-The PS2 controller is the same damn thing, come now
-Everyone in this topic is talking about how PSP has fewer shoulder buttons, and are 3, 5, or 6 buttons feasible? Come now.

cabbiegif7nu1ns3jq.gif

Blablurn said:
Handheld War is over ;)

Yup, turns out all PSP needed was a bunch more ports and 32-bit graphics.

yes i want a psp now more than ever

madmook

I hope the prices are reasonable. I'm thinking around $5 a pop would be great... but that's just my idealistic side. I have a feeling its going to somewhere around $10-$15.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
madmook said:
I hope the prices are reasonable. I'm thinking around $5 a pop would be great... but that's just my idealistic side. I have a feeling its going to somewhere around $10-$15.
Yeah i know what you mean. 5 would be fine by me. but 10-15 would be terrible when I could go pick up a ps2 game for that much in some places.

Robinspain said:
UK PSP MAGAZINE reveals VERY INTERESTING details:

- PSP eye toy: will be out this september in Europe (US: tba)

- GPS: will be out this october along with a new Everybody's Golf (it will be compatible). The GPS will determine your localization and could download exclusive content depending the area where you are. Kutaragi also says that there are (now) some psp titles that are compatible with this future periferic (...how misterious...)

- A new firmware the same day PS3 launches: video-conferency, ps3 compatibility, video streaming (possibility of download these videos on your memory stick)

- PSone emulutar also out in October: first games will be TOMB RAIDER, Castlevania SON (¡¡¡¡!!!!), FINAL FANTASY 7 and 8, SILENT HILL. Along 2007, near 7.000 psone titles will be available for the PSP.

I'm sorry but did it just list Castlevania: SOTN?! Holy shit, yes!!! Castlevania: SOTN bitches!!

FF7/8, Silent Hill? Triple holy shit!!

Damn, I was just expecting first generation titles at first....badass!! Freakin' sweet starting list!

jyx

Anybody else who have read that magazine? Sotn on my psp would be awesome. Guess it is a big lie! :(

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
MrSardonic said:
i was laughing at the idea

It's not a bad idea. Now if the eyetoy for the PSP is the same size as the one for the PS2 then I will be laughing with you. They need to make it small and sleek.

Imagine taking digital photos or shooting video with your PSP and attached eyetoy and saving it to your 2 gig Pro Duo stick? Nice wouldn't it?

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
JonathanEx said:
Camera, sure... but as an EyeToy... defend that.

wtf is there to defend?

its a freakin camera that you can interact with. deal with it. its optional, so no one's even forcing you to buy it.

mckmas8808 said:
It's not a bad idea. Now if the eyetoy for the PSP is the same size as the one for the PS2 then I will be laughing with you. They need to make it small and sleek.

Imagine taking digital photos or shooting video with your PSP and attached eyetoy and saving it to your 2 gig Pro Duo stick? Nice wouldn't it?

sony_psp_eyetoy.jpg

See that cam? It's Eyetoy.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
JonathanEx said:
For EyeToy games I mean. I don't know HOW you can justify that.
Facial recognition, simple motions with fingers, draw patterns/symbols in mid-air. I wonder if you could use it as a tilt sensor of sorts.

SantaC

FF7, and FF8. But the list must have FF9 as well!

Though I rather have Squeenix re-releasing FF7-FF9 with new content, and not just emulated.

jarrod

Banned
Why bother with Tomb Raider or Silent Hill when they're getting full fledged remakes? I guess the same could be said of Ridge Racer but... you'd think they'd try to launch the thing with games not already available in stores. :/

I wonder if any publishers will give up on PSP SKUs all together in favor of just rereleasing their PS1 catalogs? Square Enix?

Jimbob

mckmas8808 said:
Jimbob said:
They're also making a universal translator for PSP aswell apparently. How exciting! Was this announced? Heard it from Mark Froggat (lead programmer at Sony SCEE). He gave a talk not long ago I went to. Talked about PS3 and PSP in quite some detail.
Hold on are you serious?

Yes I am. A few weeks ago he came and gave a presentation at the university of Gloucestershire in England for members of the IEE (Institute of Electronic Engineers - now changed they're name to the IET). Went along with a couple of guys I work with as we all have a geeky interest in hardware (its our job!).

He talked for over an hour on PSP and PS3 from a technical standpoint. didn't go into any marketing spiel at anypoint except to ask who had a PSP (he was pretty disappointed to see about 2 out of around 30 of us). I was really only there for the PS3 stuff and it was good. Seems like it's gonna be a helluva lot more developer friendly compared to the PS2 and it also seems like more thought has gone into balancing hardware decisions. In saying this it was amazing how many times he actually slated the PS2 for not being designed particularly well or for being hard to develop for.

On the PSP side I'm pretty sure he mentioned the GPS unit as I remember thinking it was quite a cool idea, I didn't realise this hadn't been announced offically. Definitely remember the universal translator as he compared it to the tricorder in Star Trek. If I remember anything major he said that I think might be news to most then I'll say but i don't think there was. that is aside from all the detail he wnet into about PS3 hardware which I really can't remember lol.

Hmm, I wonder if we'll be able to play regionless emus like the Loco Roco demo? Vib Ribbon (with psp mp3 functionality), Rakugaki Showtime, Tobal 2....kinda drawing blanks for any more. Also, hopefully they'll allow for two players.

Furoba

There are quite a few titles that will not work on PSP due to dual analog stick control/R2-3 & L2-3 buttons, I doub they'll have a solution for that, at least not until they actually make a PSP with as much buttons as the Dual Shock controller...

Some titles must be nearly unplayable too I reckon, due to the screen size.

Still, nice feature, but if I can I'll always play those games on a decent tv screen.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
maybe they'll make a Dual Shock add-on for the PSP that will add 2 extra shoulder buttons and a second analog stick and r3/l3 by using the USB port. and games will require it

laugh

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
jarrod said:
Why bother with Tomb Raider or Silent Hill when they're getting full fledged remakes? I guess the same could be said of Ridge Racer but... you'd think they'd try to launch the thing with games not already available in stores. :/

I wonder if any publishers will give up on PSP SKUs all together in favor of just rereleasing their PS1 catalogs? Square Enix?

No and no. The TR "remake" is a collection of levels redone with the Legend engine from every tomb raider game. At least that is what TRC is saying.

The Silent Hill game is not a remake. It is a different story with a different lead.

jarrod

Banned
Furoba said:
There are quite a few titles that will not work on PSP due to dual analog stick control/R2-3 & L2-3 buttons, I doub they'll have a solution for that, at least not until they actually make a PSP with as much buttons as the Dual Shock controller...
It's not a stright up universal emulator, there's some level of recoding involved I believe. Games will be adjusted as best as they can I think.

Agent X

JonathanEx said:
For EyeToy games I mean. I don't know HOW you can justify that.

With the camera lens facing toward you, you could use it for video chat. This could be a standalone video communications application, or implemented in a window within a game, such as some of the recent PS2 online poker games have done.

But, you should also think outside of the boundaries of what has been accomplished on existing titles. Turn the lens away from you (like you would use a traditional camera), and use it in conjunction with the environment around you. Take a look at this video clip:

http://www.gizmondoforums.com/videos/katapult_mix512K_Stream001.wmv

It shows the player using the Gizmondo's camera to play an "augmented reality" game which looks like a cross between Rampart and the old "artillery duel" games. The difference here is that the land area where you place your castle is determined by actual, physical, real-world cards and their location on real-world objects. The Eye of Judgment for PS3 also does something similar to this.

Think of it this way. With the PS2, the EyeToy is stationary, and it tracks the player's movement within a stationary environment. With the PSP, the EyeToy would be mobile, and the player would move the EyeToy around throughout the environment.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
jarrod said:
Robinspain might be translating wrong (since English isn't his first lang.), indicating that those games are among the first to be emulated like he did. I've seen another report on this that basically said these games were simply among those to be emulated.

datruth29

This definitly makes the PSP look more attractive. However, I think there are several things Sony needs to address before we can say how great this is. First, obviously, is the controller. While the extra analog isnt that big of a concern since few games truely utitlized it, the lack of 2 shoulder buttons really hurts it. It will be interesting to see how they handle that. Also, the distribution method for the games. Particulary, I want to know how are they going to identify you. Is it going to be based on PSP identification, or will you have your own ID. If I download to a memory stick, will I be able to play only on the PSP i downloaded from, or can I play it on other PSP's. Will I be able to transfer them from one memory card to another? If I delete one of my games, do I have to pay a price to download the same game again? If so, will there be a way that I can store my purchased games on another device for archive purposes?

Theres a ton of questions in my head. I just pray Sony gets it right. I just might buy a PSP for this.

Top Bottom