• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands PC performance thread

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

(Click for general game info.)

System requirements:
ghostreconwildlandssy72khw.jpg

Latest drivers: (as at 21/12/2017)
Nvidia: 388.71
AMD: 17.12.2
Intel: Depends on your processor; download the driver update utility

Benchmarks:
GameGPU (Russian; launch build)
PC Games Hardware (German; launch build)
TechPowerUp (English; launch build)
Tom's Hardware (English; 11/03/2017 build)

Tips and tricks:
Cap the framerate/potentially improve frametimes: Download RivaTuner Statistics Server, input your desired framerate limit in the "Framerate limit" box, and hit enter (the program comes bundled with MSI Afterburner and earlier versions of EVGA PrecisionX). Alternatively, those with an Nvidia GPU have the option of Nvidia Inspector, which can also be used to impose a framerate cap, either in a similar manner to RTSS or by way of forcing a different vsync interval (click the small tool icon to open the game profile section).
Note: Useful if you your system can't maintain, say, 60fps and you're sensitive to the wild fluctuations, or you're experiencing uneven frametimes. The greater window the engine has to render a given frame, if you're imposing a lower framerate than the game can otherwise provide, may also help in alleviating stuttering related to data streaming.
Stop the game from crashing after 15 minutes on touch-capable systems running Windows 10: Open the task manager, switch to the Services tab and disable TabletInputService.
Enable support for bluetooth adapters, DLL injectors/external hooks and possibly other stuff that ought to work: Disable the game's anti-cheat system by launching it with the command -eac_launcher. To do so if launching the game through Uplay, right-click it -> click "View game details -> select "Properties" from the menu -> click "Add launch arguments" -> input -eac_launcher into the field; if you have the Steam version, right-click it -> click "Properties" -> click "Set launch options" -> input -eac_launcher into the field. Alternatively, if you're running either version via a desktop shortcut, you can achieve the same result by righting-click it -> clicking "Properties" and -> adding -eac_launcher to end of the target field, separating the two with a space.
Note: Disabling EAC will also completely disable the the multiplayer component.

icon_warning.png
When posting your own tip/trick or something else you'd like to see here in the OP, be sure to mention my username as this way the post will appear among the results when I search for my username after an absence. I may miss your suggestion otherwise.

Graphics settings:

Display: Self-explanatory
Window mode: Windows; Borderless; Fullscreen
Resolution: Self-explanatory
Resolution scaling: 0.5 -> 2.0 in increments of 0.10
V-sync: Off; On; Adaptive
Refresh rate: Self-explanatory
Framerate limit: Off; 30; 40; 50; 60; 75; 90; 100; 120; 144
Extended FoV: 0% -> 100% in increments of 100%

Brightness: Self-explanatory
Contrast: Self-explanatory
Gamma: Self-explanatory
Sharpening: Self-explanatory

Preset: Low; Medium; High; Very High; Ultra; Custom
Anti-aliasing: Off; FXAA; Temporal AA
Ambient occlusion: Off; SSBC; HBAO+
Draw distance: Low; Medium; High; Very High
Level of detail: Low; High; Very High; Ultra
Texture quality: Low; Medium; High; Ultra
Anisotropic filtering: Off; 2; 4; 8; 16
Shadow quality: Off; Medium; High; Very High; Ultra

Terrain quality: Low; High; Very High; Ultra
Vegetation quality: Low; High; Very High; Ultra
Turf effects: Off/On
Motion blur: Off/On
Iron sights DoF: Off/On
High-quality DoF: Off/On
Bloom: Off/On
God rays: Off; On; Enhanced

Subsurface scattering: Off/On
Lens flare: Off/On
Long-range shadows: Off; On; Ultra

JaseC

Did you have some crazy expensive graphics setting enabled?

Well, I didn't run a comparison benchmark, but I'd wager the Nvidia turf effects aren't cheap.

Edit: Actually, disabling them barely made a difference. Literally ~3fps.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
Quick note about the game's autosave : it can produce sutter on some hard drive, it saves in Uplay's savegame folder, thus where Uplay is installed.

My friend had to move Uplay from its HDD to SSD to avoid stutters/freezes everytime the game autosaves (it can be every 5 seconds in outposts).

Diancecht

Performance is really bad. I am having hard time getting stabile 60 fps on medium settings with 980ti and i7 6700K.

Gaz_RB

I've noticed if I change settings without reloading the game, performance and stuttering seem to get really bad until the next restart.

Kadin

Quick note about the game's autosave : it can produce sutter on some hard drive, it saves in Uplay's savegame folder, thus where Uplay is installed.

My friend had to move Uplay from its HDD to SSD to avoid stutters/freezes everytime the game autosaves (it can be every 5 seconds in outposts).
Moved my Uplay install to my SSD and still getting these random 5 second hard locks which seem to happen when I'm driving or just coming into a new area. Other than this, the game is performing flawlessly at Ultra with everything on, 1080P @ 144hz on i5-4690, 8GB w/ 1070 SC. The stutter is pretty terrible as I keep the thinking the game is gonna crash.

I can get a solid 60fps on Very High with HBAO+ enabled on a 1070 & 6600k, but the frametimes are all over the place. It feels very stuttery.

Also there is screen tearing no matter what I try. Vsync, adaptive vsync, limiting framerate in RTSS. Nothing works.

Right now it feels like a mess.

Gaz_RB

Can you elaborate on this? He reinstalled his uplay folder on the same hard drive as the game was installed and it fixed it? I'm getting the same issue here.

Thanks.

FiraB

Banned
Can you elaborate on this? He reinstalled his uplay folder on the same hard drive as the game was installed and it fixed it? I'm getting the same issue here.

Thanks.

I had the same problems, I just shifted both game and uplay to my SSD to fix it and haven't had a problem since. IF you have the space Gaz I'd do it because it makes load times next to nothing for the game and fixes a lot of the streaming issues.

Gaz_RB

I had the same problems, I just shifted both game and uplay to my SSD to fix it and haven't had a problem since. IF you have the space Gaz I'd do it because it makes load times next to nothing for the game and fixes a lot of the streaming issues.

My man. Did it take long to move the files?

Am I boned if I want 1080p 60 in this with an i5-4460 3.2 GHZ and a GTX 970? I'm okay with playing on medium settings if I have to.

FiraB

Banned
My man. Did it take long to move the files?

Nah took about 6 minutes I think, bugger all.

Just move the wildlands folder to the SSD first, then uninstall uplay and reinstall it on the SSD. Then login to uplay and relocate the wildlands folder an your good to go. If you have anything else on uplay just find it's folder and re-add it to uplay. Works just like moving games around with steam.

Jtrizzy

Never knew you were supposed to get new drivers for intel cpu's. Will I have to re overclock if I download new drivers?

Yeah it runs bad for me on a i5-2500k @4.3Ghz/1070, I asked for a refund, I was kind of hesitant about buying it initially anyway so no real lose for me. Maybe in 3-6 months I'll re-buy if it's been patched up.

dr_rus

TechPowerUp

1080_ultra.png
1440_ultra.png

GameGPU

r_1920_u.png
r_2560_u.png

Well, I didn't run a comparison benchmark, but I'd wager the Nvidia turf effects aren't cheap.

Edit: Actually, disabling them barely made a difference. Literally ~3fps.

Turf Effects are mostly some additional polys and NV h/w is basically idle in your typical console level workload when it comes to polygon pushing so I'd guess that it wouldn't affect the performance much on any modern NV (or AMD starting with GCN3) card.

Is this using an all new engine?

Those benchmarks have put me off the game entirely with my 980ti.

Looks like you literally need top of the line hardware for 60fps.

Went from interested when cheaper to skip completely. That is some pathetic performance for a game that doesn't even look good.

Kadin

Went from interested when cheaper to skip completely. That is some pathetic performance for a game that doesn't even look good.
It may not be the best looking game out there but seeing it in action with the crazy draw distance along with the fire/smoke animations, it's definitely towards the top for me. I also think this wallpaper looks pretty damn good.

It may not be the best looking game out there but seeing it in action with the crazy draw distance along with the fire/smoke animations, it's definitely towards the top for me. I also think this wallpaper looks pretty damn good.

If the game looked like that most people would be getting 15-25fps considering these benchmarks...

kuYuri

I think very high settings will be the best settings for graphics to performance ratio. Ultra seems to have a noticeably drastic effect on performance even for 1080s/Titan XPs.

Pjsprojects

Grrr another one.
I can get high fps at high settings but no matter what I get stutters. Given up and got the PS4 version.
Even running an osd I saw no bottle necks so no idea what was going wrong but for now the PC version is on hold until some patches role out.

cripterion

NVIDIA is thrilled to see gamers having the opportunity to play Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands. At launch, the current Game Ready driver (378.66) has complete support for Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands and offers an exceptional gaming experience. Later this week, we'll be releasing a new Game Ready driver which will introduce Ansel support for Ghost Recon Wildlands as well as some other surprises for gamers.

Nvidia please... some people are having shitty performance with SLI and to qualify this as an exceptional gaming experience? I'm pretty ok with the performance on my rig but I would never qualify it as exceptional lol.

From Ubisoft

[PC] Multi-GPU Support

Players using a SLI/Crossfire setup may experience severe stuttering and flickering during gameplay. We are currently working with our partners to solve those issues as quickly as possible. In the meantime, we recommend you to disable your second GPU when playing Ghost Recon Wildlands. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

JaseC

That is fucking tragic. My 980 is sweating just thinking about it.

Hard pass for me.

Well, keep in mind that, with the exception of AF, it is maxed out. A few posters have noted that Ultra carries a big performance hit versus Very High.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member

Thanks.

He has two SSDs : one for the system, one for games.

Ghost Recon is on the game SSD.
Uplay was on its previous Windows HDD, he moved it to its current Windows SSD.

The only thing that matters is that the saves (which are in Uplay's folder) are on a fast drive, it can be the same or another SSD as the game.

I have the game installed on an SSD, and I still get asset streaming issues, sometimes with full freezes for 1-2 seconds. Still cant figure out how to get rid of screen tearing, and the the frame times feel like shit.

Enclose

I have the game installed on an SSD, and I still get asset streaming issues, sometimes with full freezes for 1-2 seconds. Still cant figure out how to get rid of screen tearing, and the the frame times feel like shit.

same happens to me, idk whats causing it

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member

I think there may be some network issues, when I play with my friend, we get the exact same hiccups, even when there's nothing to stream (we were in the basement of the first boss, not moving much).

But autosaves, even if the files are really small (<100 kB), can produce huge stutter if Uplay's folder is on an HDD.

Game runs okay on my 3440x1440 gsync, 980ti sli setup

I can see where someone could expect better fps, but the game is huge

Wow the stuttering is really bad. Framerate looks good if I can get the stuttering under control, at 1440p with Very high except textures on ultra, temporal AA on Titan X Maxwell and 4790K with 32 GB RAM.

Game looks amazing though, so hopefully can get to the root of this.

Now its not recognizing the controller

Have controller enabled and see the green light but game wont use it.

Then game crashed.

Looks like a great game here but its not finished on PC

Top Bottom