• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The JRPG series you're most excited about the future of

Persona! Xenoblade! Souls! Trails! Ys! Tales! Final Fantasy! What JRPG series has you most looking toward the future and giddy with excitement?

Couple of suggestions:
- Soulsborne counts!
- Try to stick to established series, so something like X person or X studio's next game shouldn't count
- Upcoming new IPs, except maybe if they're known to be continuing in some capacity, probably shouldn't count, but sure, go for it if you really want to

I am most looking forward to Ni No Kuni 2 and beyond. The original had a lot of problems, but it was a structurally-classic JRPG realized for the modern age, something we've gotten very little of. Now that they seem to have revamped a lot of the problematic parts, I think there's a bright future.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Xenoblade 2 ofcourse, can't wait to see a monothsoft after they had cut their teeth on HD development

george_us

Really anxious to see what Atlus has cooking for Shin Megami Tensei V. I loved IV and Persona 5 is REALLY close to being my favorite JRPG ever.

Theswweet

Sen no Kiseki/Trails of Cold Steel III is the tipping point for the series. It can either redeem or condemn the erebonia arc entirely.

I believe they can redeem it.

TheMoon

Xenoblade series.

They established that they can go into wildly different directions between Xenoblade and Xenoblade X and now Xenoblade 2 seems to put another type of spin on the basic "huge, awe inspiring world and setting" template. They excel at creating places I want to just be in (and explore every nook and cranny while sneaking past monsters who can squish me with a wink).

Otherwise, I wish The Last Story was an actual series and had a future. Sob.

Fou-Lu

On the one hand I am still incredibly hyped for FF7 Remake despite everything.

On the other hand... Motherfucking Xenoblade 2!!!

Project RE fantasy

project_re_fantasy.png

the new fantasy RPG by the Persona team

jb1234

I'll have to go with Xenoblade, even though X was disappointing. The first game has built up a lot of good will from me.

BigPete

Final Fantasy, actually. With the release of XV we are finally anle to move on from XIII and the concepts from that era. I know XV isn't Versus, but it has it's roots there. I'm excited to see what's next.

SeanTSC

Dragon Quest XI. I haven't been into anything they've done as a series since DQVIII and this looks like a proper return to form, so I'm pretty fucking excited.

GamerJM

Banned
I guess Fire Emblem. Maybe Persona.

This topic made me realize that I'm not super excited about the future of any JRPG series. The ones I love will still probably just continue being consistently great in the ways that they have been for years. It's kinda depressing that I don't have that much hope for FF or Star Ocean after I was one of the apologists of their last-gen entries. I wish I had the enthusiasm for Xenoblade others do but it's been two games that I've been throughly meh on now.

Edit: Actually I completely forgot about the Granblue Fantasy console game. That shit looks great to me. A very traditional JRPG with Platinum at the helm? Idk if it surpasses Fire Emblem though.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Interested to see how Tales of Series does now that its finally going for a new engine. Also Nier after Automata.

The Legend of Heroes series.

Also I can't wait to see where Ys goes next, if it follows in the steps of the Cold Steel III, then it'll be a console only title. So that'll be interesting to see.

Xenoblade, though Xenoblade 2 hasn't quite sold me yet despite loving the previous two games, hopefully a strong E3 showing will really get me on the hype train.

This is a long shot, but a polished sequel to The Last Remnant would have me giddy with excitement. That game had so much overall potential and had the best turn-based combat I've ever played. A sequel where they cut the annoyances and improved the leveling (Battle Rank) system would be the turn-based JRPG to rule them all.

RPGCrazied

Tales of - Festival is next month!!!
Final Fantasy
Legend of Heroes
Kingdom Hearts
Ni No Kuni
Xenoblade

More I'm sure, but this on the top of my head.

Xenoblade for sure since Chronicles is my favorite game of all time. It's a cautious excitement though after X.

I'm happy that they say they're aiming more for a traditional experience again but I'm still worried they'll mess it up.

Zareka

Persona. As much as I didn't like 5, the foundation for something fantastic as there. It just needs a better story, characters and a theme I don't find unbearable. I'm very interested in Persona 6.

Xenoblade 2 should be great if it's more Chronicles than X.

Also, Re Fantasy, obviously. Hashino/Meguro/Soejima combo means I'm in day 0.

Edit: OH. Devil Survivor 3 and TMS#FE Switch port PLEASE. I really need DeSu3.

I'm basically out of love for most JRPGs, and looking forward more to a remake of a ten-year-old game (FFXII) than I am any of the new content coming in the next year or so. So I guess you can say I'm not that excited about the future?

JRPGs on my radar:

- FFXII, I love this game's presentation of Ivalice, love the art style, love the writing, love the battle system, love the music, and even love the story. Excited to experience it on a modern screen, with a more focused character growth system. FFXV has put me off future Final Fantasy games, but I'm happy to binge on this one until I die.

- Xenoblade 2, but only as long as it sticks to the fantastical angle from the original. I already miss the old art style, and I really didn't like X all that much outside of experiencing the world itself. The battle system has kind of lost its luster for me, too - I'm finding that I yearn for either FF tropes, or a full-on action-driven combat system (a la Souls or Zelda), and most other battle systems don't really excite me.

- Project Octopath Traveler. I love the presentation so far, but I'm cautious since it's really rare for games like this to turn out as timeless classics.

Xenoblade, because they've built up a reputation of great games so far, and this new one is going to be arriving in peak Switch popularity time, not at the tail end of the Wii generation or on the sadly overlooked Wii U.

MilkBeard

I am pretty hyped for the future of Final Fantasy. I feel like they've got an upward streak going now, at least for me personally. I really enjoyed FF XV, and I hope that FF VIIR can hit it out of the park. My expectations are definitely not astronomical compared to most people, so I think I am not setting myself up for disappointment. I think an enjoyable game that gives more detail on the world of FF VII would be good enough for me.

I'm also excited to see their new concept for FF XVI, and to see who is helming it.

Right now I'm starting up FF XIV, so I've still got a lot to play currently, but I think the future is bright (in my opinion).

I'm also excited for a new Soulsborne game from From Software, but we don't know anything about a potential new game, so this doesn't really fit the description, even though OP said it counts. Either way, I'm excited for their next development, as the Souls series is one of my favorite series of all time.

MrDoctor

dunno

i was excited about the career soft and etrian guys at atlus being free...until atlus turned out to have nothing to announce for what could be a while

sting just released dungeon travelers 2-2, so there's the question of what's next for their future

maybe i'm excited about english kiseki games being in a state where crossbell is more than a dream?

RPGCrazied

Speaking about comebacks. I sure wish Wild Arms, Dark Cloud, Shadow Hearts, .hack could get revived.

Lots of dead jrpg series right now.

Xenoblade I guess.

The huge environments and their combat system interest me the most though I'm not a fan of what I've seen and know about Xenoblade 2. I'll still at least enjoy it at the worst.

Still hoping for a return to the Sci-Fi world of Xenoblade X as that interests me much more.

Trails and Xenoblade and whatever Hashino and the Studio Zero team is doing.

In terms of Ambition, few things compare to Trails and Xenoblade in their own respects boasting one of the largest ongoing worlds narratively in the case of the former and imaginative world design unlike any other game for the latter. Hashino's direction and the team's quality is undeniable and incredibly attractive.

Top Bottom