• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The JRPG series you're most excited about the future of

redcrayon

Not too far from what I feel and I'm sorry to say that YS 8 feels pretty much like "trails of cold steel", except with Celceta/7 battle system, maybe improved a little.
Eek. Still, Falcom are always worth a go to me, even if I wasn't that impressed with ToCS2. I've hopefully got Ys Origin releasing on Vita to tide me over too!

Puru

I'd say Etrian Odyssey but i have my fears. I'd definitly buy all the DT games too, I just hope they stay with handheld format if they make more of those.

kromeo

I'd say Etrian Odyssey but i have my fears. I'd definitly buy all the DT games too, I just hope they stay with handheld format if they make more of those.

Well it's looking suspiciously like we might not even get the most recent one

ipb36FV.png

Project Re Fantasy could be something special - especially if Hashino uses it to try new & different things from modern Persona.

This. Hashino = 🐐

Final Fantasy is the only one I still have any interest in. Mainly because I never know what to expect from it. Though I do want to play Etrian Odyssey 5, it would probably be the last of those for me.

Project Re Fantasy could be something special - especially if Hashino uses it to try new & different things from modern Persona.

Oh yeah for sure. Take ideas that didn't fit for their mainline IP, and put it into a newer IP. Bloodborne was a combination of such ideas and was a smash hit. Atlus should do whatever it takes to keep that talent happy and productive.

Lunar15

I have to agree with Re:Fantasy.

I feel like P5 gave me everything I could have wanted out of a persona game while also revealing the limits of the franchise. I'm excited for a lot of the core Persona team members to work on a new project since every time they do, we get things like Digital Devil Saga, Catherine, and modern Persona as we know it.

I'm not particularly thrilled that it's traditional fantasy, but I'm excited to see this team's take on it.

Also, I'm curious as to whether or not Masayoshi Sutou is going to join the Re:Fantasy team. As one of the core people responsible for Persona's UI design, he's just as important to me as Hashino, Soejima, or Meguro.

Loz246789

I'm going to have to agree with the Re:Fantasy mentions here, but it comes with the caveat that there's a lot that I want them to have learned from Persona 5's reception. If it turns out that they haven't learned a thing, my interest will drop like a rock, but even then it will probably still be a very good JRPG.

(Trails of cold steel 3 is my runner up, since I'm just so invested in the world that it would take a lot for me to be outright disappointed)

LordKasual

Banned
Final Fantasy, easily. And for the first time in years.

XV has taken the series into a space where it can literally go any direction it wants. Remakes of older FF games have never been more appealing to me. Square has demonstrated that it now has the ability to translate its crazy concepts (usually reserved for cutscenes or CG movies) into literal gamespace, and this is impressive from both a technological and gameplay standpoint. Also, they're looking into adding co-op multiplayer, which is something I feel the series has always needed. The ability to play a game like FFXV with friends (like Tales) is an exciting concept.

The groundwork they laid down in one fell swoop is amazing, and I can't wait to see what they can do with it. As long as they build upon it, I really don't care what Final Fantasy XVI looks like, i know it'll be surprising.

Furthermore, after FFXV, I really hope the team gets the leeway to use the same groundwork to revisit older IPs, and even create new ones. Parasite Eve on Luminous? Brave Fencer Musashi open world? Yes please.

XandBosch

Not a series (yet) - but I'm pretty hyped to hear more about "Project Octopath Traveler" (which has to be a working title haha)

Project-Octopath-Traveler-3.jpg

octopath-4-1280-1484283317772_1280w.jpg

Project-Octopath-Traveler-2.jpg

Ys, Trails, Etrian Odyssey (supposing we get 5 in some form, then its sequels), and Shin Megami Tensei are on my horizon like usual (plus Yakuza if that counts for this thread). Modern FE doesn't do as much for me as I thought it would, and I get the impression Xenoblade's going to be a rocky franchise in years to come.

After playing Tokyo Xanady EX+, Xanadu.

My god, that game is gonna be such a sleeper title.
Maybe. The added difficulty mode and new features help, but it's a cheap game by Falcom's own admission, basically built off of scraps from the Cold Steel series + new dungeon types and a little slither of the Tokyo metroplex. I hope it plays well enough for a dungeon-crawling fix since I've heard mixed impressions about the story...at least it's got awesome music.

Not too far from what I feel and I'm sorry to say that YS 8 feels pretty much like "trails of cold steel", except with Celceta/7 battle system, maybe improved a little.

Eek. Still, Falcom are always worth a go to me, even if I wasn't that impressed with ToCS2. I've hopefully got Ys Origin releasing on Vita to tide me over too!
I see way more comparisons between Ao no Kiseki and Ys VIII, and the writing level in VIII seems to put much of the Cold Steel games to shame. As far as progression and pacing go, VIII's also better than Celceta and Seven, and it surpasses the previous two Ys games in so many ways (though Seven still has the most interesting OST).

Top Bottom