• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The JRPG series you're most excited about the future of

daveo42

Banned
Project RE fantasy

project_re_fantasy.png

the new fantasy RPG by the Persona team

Was going to say SMT, but this is better because it's a fresh take on fantasy JRPGs.

pablito

Atlus shit all day

Project Re Fantasy to see what the Persona team can do outside of Persona
Persona since it'll be in new hands and I'm excited to see what direction it takes
SMT5 because it's a new console SMT

Fou-Lu

Speaking about comebacks. I sure wish Wild Arms, Dark Cloud, Shadow Hearts, .hack could get revived.

Lots of dead jrpg series right now.

I love all of those and there are so many more good series that have died:

Breath of Fire, Suikoden, Phantasy Star, Soul Blazer, Chrono, Grandia, Lunar, Baten Kaitos, Valkyrie Profile, Mother, Shining Force...

Or games that never got sequels that should have like Skies of Arcadia, Okage Shadow King, Radiant Historia, Lost Odyssey, The World Ends with You, Legend of Dragoon.

There are so many places for the genre to go and expand.

.JayZii

Banned
I'm excited for single player Final Fantasy to move on from the purgatory it's been in from 2006 to the release of XV (yes, I know XIV 2.0 is good) and I'm interested to see where Persona goes after 5 since it will be a new team other than Soejima and Meguro. But...
Project RE fantasy

project_re_fantasy.png

the new fantasy RPG by the Persona team
Probably this.

The passion project by the Persona team is definitely something to look out for.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
It's funny, every series I could name has twisted itself into a direction away from what I liked about the prior game(s), dropped off in quality, or died. Persona isn't my cup of tea and I haven't touched Tales in years, but all the rest of the games mentioned in the OP have those problems, as well as other unmentioned series (Mario RPGs, Bravely series, etc).

Being reasonable, Trails could take the top spot but I haven't played Cold Steel and I'm not really enthused about doing so. Everything I read about them just makes them sound painfully mediocre compared to the mostly great Sky trilogy. And I'd love to play the Crossbell games but unfortunately I'm one of only like 14 people buying SC/3rd, so that's probably not happening unless the fan translations are successful.

woopWOOP

Pokemon, always Pokemon.

New monsters are always hype, so are the new gym leaders (or variations thereof :p) and evil team admins. OSTs are usually pretty dang good too..
It feels like they go 5 steps forward and 2 steps back when it comes to new features and ditching awesome old features, but in the end it still adds up. Awaiting that Pokemon game with full trainer customisation where you have actual face options and where most of the old NPC trainer outfits are available. I wanna wear a labcoat! Or a bug catcher outfit!

Dragon Quest, definitely. I want them to build up the franchise as much as they can in the West. Next would be Fire Emblem for Switch. I haven't played a consile FE before and I'm so curious how and what they would change to make it different from the handheld entries. Lastly, I really hope Atlus continues to make Etrian Odyssey games and especially SMT Devil Survivor. 2 was fantastic. Had the trappings of a mainline SMT, a little bit of flair from Persona, wrapped up in a tactical grid based encounter sustem that leads to standard turn based battles? A third game would be all of my yes.

MoonFrog

Dragon Quest.

XI's cast is looking pretty good and I'm heartened by the ensemble approach. Sort of hope that means they muck around with the story structure more heavily than, say, VIII. I'm having IV-esque dreams :p.

Also seems to be turn-based and classic despite a free camera mode. We'll see on this front, but the 3DS version is probably classic.

In general, I just get the impression that this is a really ambitious DQ too, with all the SKUs, the anniversary, and what's been shown, etc.

Cautiously excited to see if "return of console FE" means what it means in my dreams.

Persona is coming off its best (overall), most polished game yet, but is also showing signs that it needs a creative refresh imo. Not sure if Hashino leaving will be good or bad for that, but sort of assuming the latter.

I'm just getting into mainline SMT, have played IV and significant portions of Nocturne and Apocalypse so far. Hoping tonally the Switch game steps back from Apocalypse, but really digging how the games play.

I sort of want a good Final Fantasy but I don't expect one and have more or less given up on there being one. I'll keep an eye on XVI, but I'm guessing I'll purchase it more as a "well I guess I'll look at this" than as a "I want this" sort of thing, if I even do purchase it.

As to non-series stuff, mostly looking forward to whatever Atlus turns out.

Alex

Final Fantasy but in my walled off world where XIV campaigns have replaced numbered entries

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
The answer will probably never not be Final Fantasy for me. I'm big on scope, lore, epic fantasy/sci-fi stuff. I'd like to see them get it right again someday, because there's nothing else on the Japanese end quite like it.

I think I only have optimism left for the Drakenverse and Pokémon. Taro Yoko seems to have a brighter future than ever and Pokémon has always been comfortable.

GunBR

Final Fantasy

I loved XV, but after watching trailers of Lightning and Noctis since 2006 I'm happy that we finally gonna see something 100% new in the near (or maybe not so near) future

Hylian7

Shin Megami Tensei V. Not even close for me, first home console SMT since Nocturne. Bring. It. On.

Shin Megami Tensei on Unreal Engine 4

This, it's my favorite JRPG franchise. I'm really excited, especially to see mainline back on consoles (or in this case both since it's on Switch). The vibe of the trailers they have shown so far give the excellent atmosphere the series has always had. I'm really excited to see what Atlus can do with this.

Print_Dog

Kingdom Hearts 3 and Dragon Quest XI

Waiting to see Cyberpunk 2077 as well. The Witcher 3 was amazing. Played through it twice back to back for platinum. First time doing that for a longer game.

Hoshigami: Ruining Blue Earth, the greatest RPG franchise in the history of the industry. A true innovator in a business in which innovation no longer exists.

Hoshigami: Ruining Blue Earth's poetic, epic, moving, and brilliant narrative is the standard that all moving media should strive for, even if they will never be as good.

The. Greatest.

Final Fantasy has always been a franchise that changes and reinvents itself, so I'm still excited to see what's next even if I strongly disliked XIII and XV.

And I think Dragon Quest XI looks rather refreshing compared to older games in the series.

• Final Fantasy as mentioned earlier because with XV over and done with (sans DLC), we've finally left the Fabula Nova Crystallis concepts behind. XVI will be something completely new.
  • Project RE Fantasy by Atlus' newly established Studio Zero simply because this is what Hashino left Persona for, and he's bringing a lot of the team responsible for modern Persona with him.
  • Persona itself I have mixed feelings about regarding its future. BECAUSE I loved Hashino's entries in the series so much, P6 is gonna have a tall order ahead of it. But, maybe, a new director can bring something fresh to the franchise.

Keyouta

Project RE Fantasy and Persona.

Love the Persona titles, so the team branching off to make something brand new is very exciting.

I'm also interested in where Game Freak will be taking Pokemon after fiddling with some franchise staples in Gen 7.

13ruce

Banned
Kingdom Hearts has just been so all over the place for so long I don't know whether or not to be excited for the back-to-basics game (that I hope it is) or to have no expectations for it at all.

Yeah true but honestly a big reason why i want KH3 also is that i discovered KH while sleeping at my grandparents as a kid they had a ps2 with dragon quest KH 1 and ratchet and clank it was awesome.

I loved the spinoff games bbs is my favorite out of the bunch but i miss kh 1 and 2 gameplay i hope that they mix the best things from the spinoffs with the goods of kh 2.

Ventara

Xenoblade. Monolith just seems to keep getting better with designing open-world games, and I feel Nintendo wants to make Xenoblade an evergreen title for it's systems to fill a type of RPG niche it's missing from it's evergreen title roster. The Xenoblade series just has a bright future ahead of it, and as a big fan of open-world fantasy exploration RPGs, I am very excited for their next title.

dukie85

I'm basically out of love for most JRPGs, and looking forward more to a remake of a ten-year-old game (FFXII) than I am any of the new content coming in the next year or so. So I guess you can say I'm not that excited about the future?

JRPGs on my radar:

- Project Octopath Traveler. I love the presentation so far, but I'm cautious since it's really rare for games like this to turn out as timeless classics.

I really, really, realllllllly hope this game turns out as great as it looks.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
I am on board with this project Re Fantasy thing. Glad this thread gave me the heads up.

In terms of series, the only one's I'm anticipating are Xenoblade and Shin Megami Tensei (not Persona shit). In terms of creators/studios, I'm always game for Monolith Soft and Yoko Taro. I do wonder if Mistwalker are going to get back in the game, I think they promised an RPG based off of Terra Battle?

Probably Trails and Xenoblade followed by Refantasy. If Persona weren't likely changing leadership after 5 due to refantasy it'd probably be up there as well

Nabae

Unconfirmed Member
The Trails series. Love the meticulous world building and I look forward to seeing the rest of Zemuria. All this Cold Steel 3 news is making me really excited for the Cold Steel 1 and 2 PC ports.

Etrian Odyssey too. Etrian Odyssey V looks amazing, can't wait to play it, and fingers crossed that the series doesn't end there.

Final Fantasy. I thought XV was kinda messy but I had a lot of fun with it overall. I'm a sucker for flashy visuals and XV delivered a realistic-looking JRPG world unlike I'd ever seen. Combat visuals were incredible. Can't wait to see what the next will be like. Combat system from people responsible for XIII's combat would make me happy.

Mozendo

Etrian Odyssey, Dungeon Travelers (please atlus localize 2-2), and I think Experience Inc teased something new if that counts. Love Dungeon crawlers and there are so many high quality ones.

Also excited for the new Dragon Age since I haven't been disappointed by any DA game yet.

I would have listed Trails and MegaTen but some of the recent games were huge disappointments
Edit: I forgot about Dragon Quest!

canedaddy

Dragon Quest by far.

Not only are we getting a new mainline game on console, something I thought would never happen again, but all the side projects have been outstanding.

I'm really drawing a blank here. I like a lot of JRPGs but I don't see any of them doing anything truly different and exciting in the future.

If Yakuza counts, then I'm excited to see who they'll choose as the next protag of the series. But, that's it.

JarlRaven

Project Re Fantasy has me intrigued about how the former Persona team heads intend to go about reimagining fantasy RPGs.
On the other hand, also looking forward to seeing the direction Persona 6 goes under new directors.

StereoVsn

Trails - disappointed in Cold Steel 1&2, especially at pacing and characters (doubly so on MC). I hope that 3 proves to be the pay off but kind of doubting it.
Persona - I like 5 but 4 was better for me where it counted (characters), still it was great but with the team jumping to the new division who knows how P6 will turn out
SMT - an actual console SMT in V. I am cautiously optimistic!
Etrian Odyssey - its dead, Jim. Can't explain this one but after running the series into the ground with remakes I guess Atlus is not feeling V will sell in the West.
Ni No Kuni - the new game is looking good. Really looking forward toward this one.
Ys VIII - the PS4 version looks great for the Ys series. I have high hopes.
Yakuza - Kiwami will be great and 6 while having issues will still be alright. Looking forward to the new direction for the series.
Final Fantasy - I am cautiously optimistic. I liked XV, warts and all and that was great since the last one I liked before was IX. VIIR hopefully will be good and then XVI may build on efforts for XV.
Tales Of - meh, I have really low expectations. Zesteria was alright but just that. The next one didn't do much for me.
DQXI - this one sounds interesting. It does look a bit plasticky but overall it should be great (in 2019 when we get it)
Xenoblade - X was meh. Character design in 2 is meh. I guess we shall see.

Dragon Quest XI. I haven't been into anything they've done as a series since DQVIII and this looks like a proper return to form, so I'm pretty fucking excited.

Yup, this is me. It's been years since DQVIII.

I had no interest in (and no access to) their handheld and online games.

From the looks of it, I hope they can settle in console games for the future of the franchise.

Fire Emblem Switch - My favorite FE games were on consoles... Yes i see all the short comings on Radiant Dawn but i love that they at least tried to descontruct the FE formula. To see that the action of the previous protag brought not only good things.

Persona 6 - Persona 5 is great, but i want to see if they will bring new blood or do a P2->P3 change, could be very bad, could be great.

Final Fantasy XVI - Not discussing if XV was good or not, i think that now that SE is leaving behind all these years of troubled development. We can expect something great of the franchise.

Pokemon - If/when it really comes to switch o think the franchise can explore some untapped potential.

Nier - With Automata Sales we can expect that SE wont let the franchise die... So i'm excited forna new Yoko Taro game.

Edit: Finishing Trails SC, if the quality stay this strong on the rest of the series, i think this franchise will forever have a spot on my heart.

javadoze

Trails series

Though I'm just halfway into TitS FC, the premise of this huge interconnected world built through multiple subseries of games really tickles my fancy. Even if I don't end up liking, say, Cold Steel, I can always look forward to the next series of games and see how they contribute to the greater whole.

Project RE Fantasy

While the loss of the P3-P5 creative leads has me concerned for P6, I have no doubt Hashino and the others will give the classic fantasy genre their own unique spin.

Pokemon

Sun and Moon were a big departure in terms of the single player structure. Given their willingness to reevaluate series traditions like this and the oncoming transition to Switch, the idea of HD Pokemon's got me excited once again for what gen 8 will bring.

gngf123

Nier, or whatever Taro does next easily. Automata is one of my favorite games of all time.

I would be excited for SMT V, but with Persona being a runaway success and Atlus seemingly trying to change the mainline games to appeal more to that crowd, I am more cautious.

Top Bottom