• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of the Eternals - Eternal Darkness Spiritual Sequel [Crowdfunding, Dyack, ???]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
All of the assets in the trailer were taken from the forever in development hell ED2. Do not take it as a sign of quality or that they will even be able to get this out when they say.

Feh.

The crowd will speak, and if they get funded they will build something more than what the trailer hints at, I am sure. But regardless of what the trailer was built from, what it SHOWED was a game I'd like to play.

Ecco the Dolphin spiritual sequel didn't get funded so... we'll see. It's not a guarantee by any means.

Cuburt

They were trying to get people that would draw dragons specifically or just someone with experience for those sort of fantasy elements?

If its draw dragons maybe retro is making zelda, thats not zelda. You guys get what Im saying?

I'm trying to find a mention of it but I can't find any article or post referring to it.

I just remember they had a job listing that mentioned dragons and people were speculating that they could be working on a Metroid game since Ridley is dragon-like. Then Allison Theus the artist that works on Extra Credits got hired by Retro and people thought it was connected since she is able to draw lots of dragon-like fantasy creatures.

It just struck out to me since they were looking for someone that can draw dragons and that sounded oddly specific.

Edit: I've been searching and searching trying to find any article referencing a job listing that says what I'm referring to and I can't find anything. Maybe it was speculation made by someone connecting dots that might not have been there or maybe I'm remembering things wrong.

I just wanted to comment that I couldn't find proof to help back up my statement in case it leads to more speculation.

Edit 2: Maybe Retro never was searching for an artist that can draw dragons and that was a conclusion reached by me and others based on Theus's ability to draw those types of creatures. I can't find an article or even discussion that would have lead me to that conclusion, although I do remember people talking about it relating to Ridley, so I don't know but that's the best explanation I can come up with at the moment.

Ridley327

12 eps at 2-4 hrs a piece would be a massive game. How long is Eternal Darkness?

If you decide to go through it three times for the secret ending, you're looking at about 25-30 hours at most. Your first playthrough will easily be the longest of the three, as you won't know how the puzzle flow goes. Once you go that down, the game goes by much, much faster.

Elfteiroh

They want 1,500,000$? Looking at the rewards list on the site that went down, we can assume they want to sell each episode 5$...
If everyone buy the season pass during crowdfunding, they will need... around 30000 backers.

golem

I dont think they'll have any problems hitting that goal.. whether or not i go in for it is another question however.

scitek

They want 1,500,000$? Looking at the rewards list on the site that went down, we can assume they want to sell each episode 5$...
If everyone buy the season pass during crowdfunding, they will need... around 30000 backers.

But then those people are already guaranteed all 12 episodes, so where would the funding for eps 2-12 come from?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Yeah, a lot of unanswered questions here.

1) How closely can they tread to the Eternal Darkness IP, assuming they do not own it? Do they risk a cease and desist notice by clearly using content related to Eternal Darkness?
2) Did the assets (church, monsters) originate at Silicon Knights and their failed Eternal Darkness 2 prototype? Given their history, does this raise ethical issues of asset use that may not "belong" to anybody at Precursor Games, as well as Silicon Knights' shady funds history?
3) $1.5 million funds one episode, with backers promised multiple episodes based on tiers. How will additional episodes be funded?
4) Can they even guaranty a Wii U release? PC is easy. But do they have Wii U devkits, and have they spoken to Nintendo to ensure it appears on the eStore?

Ridley327

Yeah, a lot of unanswered questions here.

1) How closely can they tread to the Eternal Darkness IP, assuming they do not own it? Do they risk a cease and desist notice by clearly using content related to Eternal Darkness?
2) Did the assets (church, monsters) originate at Silicon Knights and their failed Eternal Darkness 2 prototype? Given their history, does this raise ethical issues of asset use that may not "belong" to anybody at Precursor Games, as well as Silicon Knights' shady funds history?
3) $1.5 million funds one episode, with backers promised multiple episodes based on tiers. How will additional episodes be funded?
4) Can they even guaranty a Wii U release? PC is easy. But do they have Wii U devkits, and have they spoken to Nintendo to ensure it appears on the eStore?

To answer your first question, there's no assumption needed here; Nintendo unambigiously and definitively owns the ED IP.

Instro

It would be hilarious if this is basically what they were working on for Eternal Darkness 2 before it got canned.

Definitely not pledging to this, Dyack is a nutcase and this game will likely be garbage.

Elfteiroh

But then those people are already guaranteed all 12 episodes, so where would the funding for eps 2-12 come from?

Exactly my point. o_o
And with Dyack's reputation, I can see a lot of persons that should be interested (like me) just look the other way, hoping it won't fail, but having absolutely no real faith in the project (like me).

If any of the people from SK are involved you are crazy to give them your money. I'm sure the guys that screwed over Microsoft, Activision and Epic won't take advantage of a bunch of random dudes on the internet. I'm eagerly awaiting Bernie Madoff's Kickstarter.

Oddduck

Even if it reaches its funding goals, this entire thing sounds like a disaster in the making.

And it hurts me to say that because I fucking loved Eternal Darkness.

I'd really love if this gets funded, released, then Nintendo's Eternal Darkness comes out shortly thereafter. Would be interesting to see the differences :D

SparkTR

Apparently it'll fund all episodes. Also the highest gaming Kickstarter was backed by only 87,000 people, while an indie horror game has sold over 900,000 copies digitally on PC before. Of course that may be an outlier but it shows that there's a significant audience there for this to get funding from sales at release (provided it doesn't suck).

Mifune

Mehmber
If any of the people from SK are involved you are crazy to give them your money. I'm sure the guys that screwed over Microsoft, Activision and Epic won't take advantage of a bunch of random dudes on the internet. I'm eagerly awaiting Bernie Madoff's Kickstarter.

How exactly were poor little Microsoft and Epic screwed over?

How exactly were poor little Microsoft and Epic screwed over?

Microsoft basically "kickstarted" Too Human, gave SK a ton of money and time to make whatever they wanted, and got a piece of shit in return that failed to live up to a ton of lofty promises. Epic, well I should say SK tried to screw them over and failed, but it doesn't say a lot about the higher ups with how they behaved. If they are the same people behind this they have very little reason to be trusted.

edit: I'm gonna laugh if this whole thing ends up getting shut down because Dyack used tech that was supposed to be destroyed after the Epic lawsuit.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Apparently it'll fund all episodes.

You sure? The statement they gave to IGN:

According to Precursor, "our primary goal for Shadow of the Eternals is to raise 1.5M dollars. Any money raised beyond this will contribute to stretch goals that go beyond the first episode, including future episodes, additional characters, additional platforms and in-game perks. The more money that we raise, the more we can deliver, which is a win for everyone."

To me implies it will only fund the first.

ibzAa1SUcXs4Kx.gif

hesitant-thunbs-up.gif

olimpia84

I think it's pretty clear that the 1.5 million will only cover the first episode. This is a very risky situation since we could end up with an unfinished story if the game is not successful (Shenmue anybody?)

CrisKre

I will help fund this. Liked the video. Especially the camera work, which seems to retain the finesse of the original. I'm just glad this is happening. Hope dyak can deliver. Will get it for my wii u.

The more I think about this, the less I get it.

Silicon Knights owes millions to Epic games.

Silicon Knights developers a prototype for Eternal Darkness 2 (allegedly using Activision money)

Silicon Knights declares bankruptcy and closes shop (with no official announcement or internet-accessible declarations)

A new company called Precursor Games, with Silicon Knights staff comes into existence. Do they still owe Epic the millions?

Precursor Games use a Silicon Knights developed prototype video created allegedly from misused Activision funding, to fuel their own Kickstarter, for a game they describe as a sequel in a franchise in which they do not own the Intellectual Property or patents...?

Is that about right?

wrowa

Legally Precusor doesn't seem to be a successor company to Silicon Knights. From the few things we've seen, we know that Dyack is -- at least on paper -- not in charge of the company, he's merely an employee. Whoever owns the new company likely was only an employee of SK at most, so there's no way he/she could be held responsible for SK's mistakes.

However, if they're indeed using SK's pitch, things could get tricky, I guess. More precisely, how did they get that stuff, when SK was supposed to destroy all of it? You can't transfer or sell something you don't have anymore.

But, well, I'm not sure if anyone cares enough about some pitch SK might or might not have done in the past to investigate the matter further. Don't think they've got fear anything.

Also, I think what we've seen of the website still contained a lot of dummy texts. When it goes online, they won't call it directly a sequel to ED, I assume.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom