• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of the Eternals - Eternal Darkness Spiritual Sequel [Crowdfunding, Dyack, ???]

Status
Not open for further replies.

wsippel

Banned
I remember over a year ago that Retro was trying to hire artists that have experience drawing dragons.

I never played the original ED so I don't know if there are dragons in that game but I can't think of any dragons in Donkey Kong.
Not just dragons. Allison Theus, currently a concept artist at Retro, specializes in creature design in general. She worked on Warhammer 40K: Dark Millenium at Vigil as far as I know.

OfmZc1S.jpg

n6HwBRh.jpg

wx92cTo.jpg

Tenki

If they "just" need $1.5M, Nintendo should step up and fund it. They'd get a very cheap (and wanted) exclusive.

Anyway, I want ED2 but I'm not very confident about this. I'll wait to see what happens.

Shiggy

I'd guess they acquired assets for this title from SK for a fairly cheap price to make it seem legit. The animations for the monster look exactly like those for that monster in the ED2 pitch. The window design also resembles those found from art pre-production.

Ridley327

If they "just" need $1.5M, Nintendo should step up and fund it. They'd get a very cheap (and wanted) exclusive.

Anyway, I want ED2 but I'm not very confident about this. I'll wait to see what happens.

If they said no the first time to publishing it, I'm not sure why they'd say yes the second time.

Tenki

If they said no the first time to publishing it, I'm not sure why they'd say yes the second time.

Yeah, I guess you're right. But it's quite cheap anyway and Wii U needs some exclusives now when the situation is bad (maybe they didn't expect this when they said no in the past.

Gambit

I think they might not have wanted to get involved in the legal mess that was Silicon Knights. No matter what game they pitched or how good it might have been.

Shiggy

I think they might not have wanted to get involved in the legal mess that was Silicon Knights. No matter what game they pitched or how good it might have been.

I think this is well possible. I wonder whether SK will still appear in Nintendo's next annual report.

gogojira

I don't know how to feel about this. I love Eternal Darkness and the idea of a sequel, but this spiritual successor looks like that idea ... sort of. It's not a true Eternal Darkness 2, it's episodic and it's a project by Dyack which raises all sorts of red flags. But Dyack, love or hate him, did do good things at one point in his career.

I won't put any money toward this but I'm OK with it being funded and then some to see what comes of all of this. If it's good, I'll buy it. If it's shit, oh well, no money lost from me.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Weirdest news I've heard for a while. It doesn't make sense at all. Spiritual successor with patented systems? Wii U release? DYACK?? Episodes and crowdfunding..

Too much.

Will follow the project closely, not giving these guys any money though.

The more I think about this, the less I get it.

Silicon Knights owes millions to Epic games.

Silicon Knights developers a prototype for Eternal Darkness 2 (allegedly using Activision money)

Silicon Knights declares bankruptcy and closes shop (with no official announcement or internet-accessible declarations)

A new company called Precursor Games, with Silicon Knights staff comes into existence. Do they still owe Epic the millions?

Precursor Games use a Silicon Knights developed prototype video created allegedly from misused Activision funding, to fuel their own Kickstarter, for a game they describe as a sequel in a franchise in which they do not own the Intellectual Property or patents...?

Is that about right?

I can smell the cease and desist from here.

nekomix

When you know how Iwata's Nintendo handles "second-party" agreements, I don't think they'll pour $1M in a project like this, when they even know with who they're dealing with.

I wonder what sort of creative concessions Dyack had to make, if any, in order to get people to sign on to make this game.

Last I checked, Silicon Knights was, prior to apparently dissolving, employing something like 3-4 people, including Dyack and his wife.

Even with an eight person team, this game isn't getting done by Q3 2014...unless they're reusing a substantial amount of material from the failed ED2 prototype. In which case...yikes.

I can smell the cease and desist from here.

Does anyone with a solid understanding of their legal troubles have any clue if this is possible?

Vamphuntr

You would be crazy to trust Dyack after all he has done. Moreover, without Nintendo's guidance it seems like they are not really good developers.

gabbo

You would be crazy to trust Dyack after all he has done. Moreover, without Nintendo's guidance it seems like they are not really good developers.

Dyack isn't in charge of the money this time it seems.
And if what Mama Robotnik said doesn't end up being the case, I don't see the problem. Hopefully they'd seek to get the rights to everything before firing up a KS campaign, no?

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

Silicon Knights developers a prototype for Eternal Darkness 2 (allegedly using Activision money)

Silicon Knights declares bankruptcy and closes shop (with no official announcement or internet-accessible declarations)

A new company called Precursor Games, with Silicon Knights staff comes into existence. Do they still owe Epic the millions?

Precursor Games use a Silicon Knights developed prototype video created allegedly from misused Activision funding, to fuel their own Kickstarter, for a game they describe as a sequel in a franchise in which they do not own the Intellectual Property or patents...?

Is that about right?

Sounds like a plot to induce a real life Sanity Effect.

They'll be really bummed when ED2 is announced at E3.

Right guys?

Great, now I want Retro to be involved in making ED2... thanks.

It's the sequel to one of the most critically acclaimed GC titles out there so the interest from some is natural. What's there to justify?

As long as Dyack doesn't take the funds to pay off his last lawsuit and then the backers get absolutely nothing....

v1oz

Is that about right?
Sounds very dodgy indeed. Dyack should be banned from starting new companies.

It's the sequel to one of the most critically acclaimed GC titles out there so the interest from some is natural. What's there to justify?

It's another example of how GAF refuses to let anything fucking die and the fact that people on here are willing to give money to something has that shit eating fuck faces name attached to it is disgusting.

Is that about right?

Yeah, that sums it up pretty well. I mean, I do want an Eternal Darkness sequel and it is Dyack's baby, so I don't agree w/ all this "give it to Retro" nonsense. At the same time, I just don't trust the man with my hard earned money.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

Is that about right?

That in particular seems legally problematic. Even without that, Dyack can't be trusted with managing money.

tenchir

Microsoft basically "kickstarted" Too Human, gave SK a ton of money and time to make whatever they wanted, and got a piece of shit in return that failed to live up to a ton of lofty promises. Epic, well I should say SK tried to screw them over and failed, but it doesn't say a lot about the higher ups with how they behaved. If they are the same people behind this they have very little reason to be trusted.

edit: I'm gonna laugh if this whole thing ends up getting shut down because Dyack used tech that was supposed to be destroyed after the Epic lawsuit.

I seem to remember that they sued Epic because they claim that they are not getting what they paid for when they license the unreal engine, such as technical support. New/advance tech that was created for their Gears of War game weren't in the current version of the engine that was licensed out. They were claiming that Epic was doing what they did to Activision(or Gearbox did to Sega), which is using the money for their own project and not their clients.

That in particular seems legally problematic. Even without that, Dyack can't be trusted with managing money.

This. I'd love to support this but with Dyack history seemingly:

-grossly misusing funds from publishers for funding unrelated & personal projects
-poorly managing his staff (how can you allegedly keep people on staff until 2012 when Twin Snakes is the last title they've worked on?)
-choosing to sue Epic rather than building up SK's talent pool and skill-set (they've been lacking in asset creation since MGS:TS imo)
-Just managing the company into the ground

I can't get behind this. $1.5 million sounds like they are going to put all that into the 1st episode and hope that fuels the rest.

This. I'd love to support this but with Dyack history seemingly:

-grossly misusing funds from publishers for funding unrelated & personal projects
-poorly managing his staff (how can you allegedly keep people on staff until 2012 when Twin Snakes is the last title they've worked on?)
-choosing to sue Epic rather than building up SK's talent pool and skill-set (they've been lacking in asset creation since MGS:TS imo)
-Just managing the company into the ground

I can't get behind this. $1.5 million sounds like they are going to put all that into the 1st episode and hope that fuels the rest.

Too Human? Also they worked on a few canned projects in between.

And didn't Epic sue them first?

kizmah

Don't really know how to feel about this. On one hand, I love ED and have been hoping for a sequel. On the other hand, this is not really a sequel, episodic sucks and, based on facts, I don't trust Dyack a bit without Nintendo's supervision.

I can't see this going well.

I'd be comfortable donating money to something like this ONLY because Dyack is not the CEO. He should be doing creative work, not trying to run a company.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
To be fair, the quality of that video is pretty good, if you consider it to be a episodic game. Models are fine, as are the textures. Animation looks solid. Presentation looked good: nice cinematography, cuts, lighting, and so on. You could show that vid as a trailer for episode Eternal Darkness 2 and it would pass pretty easily.

Given Eternal Darkness' structure, which is really very small "levels", I wonder how hard it would be to just finish one short episode, release it for free, and use that as a pitch for the rest of the project. Especially something like this, which has a lot of cynicism and worry hanging over it.

Like, I'm fairly certain a team of ~three people could whip up a HD remake of the first stage in Eternal Darkness pretty damn quickly and easily. I guess they're going for bigger things here, maybe more cutscenes and story telling, but when selling the idea to the market, it doesn't hurt to be generous.

dysonEA

Love ED. This looks awesome to me. I see this more as Dyack trying to redeem himself if anything. I think it's working! GAF is being way too harsh on him me thinks.

I will fund this
if you count "paying retail cost for a finished product that actually exists" as funding

As much as anybody loved Eternal Darkness, you'd be nuts to help crowdfund anything with Dyack's name attached.

kogasu

Oooo....The trailer looked nice. I kind of wish they went for a bit more of a realistic style but I can get past that (plus we know it's not the final product). As far as what I think about the whole thing, I don't know right now. I love Eternal Darkness but we need much more details on this.

Well for one thing, if you read the fine print there's no legal, moral, or other obligation for the person or group receiving the Kickstarter money to do anything resembling what the Kickstarter claims to be about. And Dyack hasn't exactly proven himself trustworthy with money even when he was contractually obliged to deliver something. What's he going to do with free money with no strings attached at all?

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
The comment section of the kickstarter page is going to be a riot. Please Evilore, unban Denis Dyack!

Crayons

Banned
All this negativity here is really hurting my spirits. Eternal Darkness was one of the best Gamecube games and if the ruin the name with this sequel, it would be awful.

Shiggy

From the Mama Robotnik thread:
VXhtv.jpg

That's the monster we see in the trailer. I wonder how they are going to create a game based on this with only 8 people if they weren't this prototype took more people and quite some time.

Dipswitch

A part of me got to thinking whether Precursor games approached Nintendo about doing a prequel of sorts to ED to gauge interest in a full sequel. Nintendo agreed to allow them limited usage of aspects of the ED license in exchange for a Wii U release.

And if the project doesn't turn out to be a complete clusterfuck and actually is delivered on time, at a high quality, and actually makes some cake, Nintendo might actually greenlight a full sequel.

Unlikely? - yes. Possible? - I don't see why not.

A part of me got to thinking whether Precursor games approached Nintendo about doing a prequel of sorts to ED to gauge interest in a full sequel. Nintendo agreed to allow them limited usage of aspects of the ED license in exchange for a Wii U release.

And if the project doesn't turn out to be a complete clusterfuck and actually is delivered on time, at a high quality, and actually makes some cake, Nintendo might actually greenlight a full sequel.

So lie to their potential kick starter backers? For a company run by Dyack I don't see why not either.

Shiggy

Isn't Nintendo rather generous when it comes to other companies copying their (patented) gameplay mechanics? It's obvious that SK was shopping around this Eternal Darkness 2 prototype. I just don't think that Nintendo was willing to fund it - their focus seems to lie on established franchises and casual new IPs, with a few original hardcore franchises at times from Japan. I still remember when they canned all of their hardcore-targetted franchises on Wii from Western developers.

Dipswitch

So lie to their potential kick starter backers? For a company run by Dyack I don't see why not either.

Not sure what part of the pitch would be a "lie". Backers would fund the project and get the game/episodes when they were complete. If they've worked out a deal with Nintendo to avoid getting C&D'd and/or sued to oblivion, so much the better I would think.

I just find the WiiU platform choice to be interesting.

Shiggy said:
Isn't Nintendo rather generous when it comes to other companies copying their (patented) gameplay mechanics? It's obvious that SK was shopping around this Eternal Darkness 2 prototype. I just don't think that Nintendo was willing to fund it - their focus seems to lie on established franchises and casual new IPs, with a few original hardcore franchises at times from Japan. I still remember when they canned all of their hardcore-targetted franchises on Wii from Western developers.

Well, since Nintendo owns the license, I don't think they were shopping ED 2 to anyone but Nintendo. And Nintendo is interested enough in the license to renew the trademark recently. Doesn't mean a whole hell of a lot I guess - they could just as easily park it for the next 10 years.

Shiggy

Not sure what part of the pitch would be a "lie". Backers would fund the project and get the game/episodes when they were complete. If they've worked out a deal with Nintendo to avoid getting C&D'd and/or sued to oblivion, so much the better I would think.

I just find the WiiU platform choice to be interesting.

The choice of platform is logical, I think. This game is probably not going to create huge enthusiasm among PS3/360/360/PS4 gamers. The graphics are average and most recent SK games have rather been lacking in all areas. In addition, SK was plagued by management issues.

Making this game Wii U-exclusive (+PC version), they are more likely to get the Nintendo ultras on board who are happy to get an exclusive title on their platform and a spiritual sequel to an old Nintendo franchise.

Well, since Nintendo owns the license, I don't think they were shopping ED 2 to anyone but Nintendo. And Nintendo is interested enough in the license to renew the trademark recently. Doesn't mean a whole hell of a lot I guess - they could just as easily park it for the next 10 years.

They could still pitch the game to other publishers. The scenario can be easily changed in case a publisher approves the pitch - which obviously didn't happen here for quality, management, and financial reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom