• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of the Eternals - Eternal Darkness Spiritual Sequel [Crowdfunding, Dyack, ???]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipswitch

The choice of platform is logical, I think. This game is probably not going to create huge enthusiasm among PS3/360/360/PS4 gamers. The graphics are average and most recent SK games have rather been lacking in all areas. In addition, SK was plagued by management issues.

Making this game Wii U-exclusive (+PC version), they are more likely to get the Nintendo ultras on board who are happy to get an exclusive title on their platform and a spiritual sequel to an old Nintendo franchise.

Possibly. However, surely pitching the game to the substantial install base of 360/PS3 users would dramatically increase the odds of the product doing well financially? Especially since it could conceivably be released via XBL/PSN, given that it is supposed to be episodic in nature.

They could still pitch the game to other publishers. The scenario can be easily changed in case a publisher approves the pitch - which obviously didn't happen here for quality, management, and financial reasons.

How would that work then? Not sure how SK/Precursor Games could pitch ED 2 to other publishers when Nintendo owns the license.

Shiggy

Possibly. However, surely pitching the game to the substantial install base of 360/PS3 users would dramatically increase the odds of the product doing well financially? Especially since it could conceivably be released via XBL/PSN, given that it is supposed to be episodic in nature.

They seem to need initial funding right now and not potential money if the game does well, which is rather unlikely. And even then they could still announce it for 360/PS3 after extracting money from the aforementioned Nintendo ultras. Think this has been done before.

How would that work then? Not sure how SK/Precursor Games could pitch ED 2 to other publishers when Nintendo owns the license.

This works pretty easily. One example would be to call it Shadow of the Eternals instead of Eternal Darkness: Shadow of the Ancients. Don't know how I came up with that one ;)

Porcile

I wouldn't be surprised if this never sees the light of day on Wii U, even if the crowdfunding is successful.

sam27368

Banned
Looks a bit too close to Annesia TDD in terms of setting and the new Machine for Pigs is out soon which looks to be in a far more interesting setting so my money will go on that title for my soiled pants this year

Eternal Darkness was my favorite game released for a 6th generation console, so I'm pretty excited that a sequel will finally happen, even if it has to be a spiritual sequel... and Wii U? That's good news! It's too bad that it's not officially Eternal Darkness, but if it has to be this way, so be it.

On that note, yes, I'll almost certainly be funding this. Yeah, I know GAF hates Dyack, but ED was completely amazing. If it's anywhere near as good as the first one, it'll be a fantastic game.

Yamauchi

Banned
tumblr_mm1u6775XS1qlo9hgo1_250.gif

I would fund this, just because Eternal Darkness was my favorite game from that generation. Haven't really kept up with the team since then but I'll throw some money at even the chance of a great follow-up.

Mifune

Mehmber
this

Can't wait!

I'm with you.

Although looking at the incredibly (and shockingly) positive reaction to this teaser on Twitter, IGN, and Youtube, and the fact that Precursor is already interacting with fans (i.e. doing it the right way) I'm gonna amend my earlier statement that this has no chance of happening to okay it's got a chance.

Is it safe to assume that the book in the trailer is actually the Tome of Eternal Darkness?

They can just make it the Necronomicon if they don't get to use the ED license.

Eternal Darkness was my favorite game released for a 6th generation console, so I'm pretty excited that a sequel will finally happen, even if it has to be a spiritual sequel... and Wii U? That's good news! It's too bad that it's not officially Eternal Darkness, but if it has to be this way, so be it.

On that note, yes, I'll almost certainly be funding this. Yeah, I know GAF hates Dyack, but ED was completely amazing. If it's anywhere near as good as the first one, it'll be a fantastic game.

brofist.jpg

From the Mama Robotnik thread:
VXhtv.jpg

That's the monster we see in the trailer. I wonder how they are going to create a game based on this with only 8 people if they weren't this prototype took more people and quite some time.

I knew I had seen that design somewhere.

...and in all honesty, I think that's kind of a shitty design :/ Let's hope the rest are closer in quality to the original game's monster designs.

Mifune

Mehmber
On FB they confirmed that this has a new cast and new storyline but it takes place in the same universe as Eternal Darkness. Uhh what? How is this possible, given Nintendo owns the property?

Okay, what is the likelihood that this is all an ED-style mindfuck and Nintendo is actually helping with this?

The more I look into this, it seems to be a big spectacle to plead to Nintendo to jump on board or perhaps give them some permissions.

Would be nice, then again, I still wouldn't mind 2 efforts from both sides. :D

SmithnCo

On FB they confirmed that this has a new cast and new storyline but it takes place in the same universe as Eternal Darkness. Uhh what? How is this possible, given Nintendo owns the property?

Okay, what is the likelihood that this is all an ED-style mindfuck and Nintendo is actually helping with this?

They'll say that, but they'll just skirt the line of directly referencing ED. They're trying to get the old ED fans to donate.

Mifune

Mehmber
They'll say that, but they'll just skirt the line of directly referencing ED. They're trying to get the old ED fans to donate.

Yeah, that's probably true.

Also, I did a little digging on Twitter and a former SK-er who worked on ED2 says the trailer is using assets from the failed prototype but it's much further along now than when he was canned. How is that possible without funding?

Having read the piece on Dyack, Activision and X-Men Destiny, people putting their money into this would probably be better off using it as kindling.

pakkit

Banned
Doesn't Nintendo own the rights to the Eternal Darkness license? Aren't Nintendo notorious for being extremely protective of their brands? What makes people think this game has a chance of launching?

Dascu

Doesn't Nintendo own the rights to the Eternal Darkness license? Aren't Nintendo notorious for being extremely protective of their brands? What makes people think this game has a chance of launching?

Because they have the copyright for Eternal Darkness and not Shadow of the Eternals.

Copyright protection is not that broad to block this game.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I think the copyright concern skirts a little close when Shadow of the Eternals is replicating Eternal Darkness environments in HD. That's my concern. It's one thing to say you're making a third person horror action game starring several characters panning centuries worth of human history, surrounded by ancient gods that have the power to drive people insane. It's another to be upfront that this is set within the same universe, and go as far to showcase your first episode as having the same environment as an original game set piece.

We'll learn a lot more tomorrow I guess.

I think the copyright concern skirts a little close when Shadow of the Eternals is replicating Eternal Darkness environments in HD. That's my concern. It's one thing to say you're making a third person horror action game starring several characters panning centuries worth of human history, surrounded by ancient gods that have the power to drive people insane. It's another to be upfront that this is set within the same universe, and go as far to showcase your first episode as having the same environment as an original game set piece.

To a large degree, it depends on how much Nintendo cares at this point, right?

They're not going to revisit the IP after everything that happened with Silicon Knights.

As an aside, I wouldn't hold much hope for Shadows of the Eternals making it to the Wii U even if its fundraising campaign is successful.

Clov

I don't know if I'll donate, but I'll give it a shot when it comes out. It would have been neat if Nintendo was publishing this as an actual Eternal Darkness sequel, but if a spiritual successor is the best we can get I'll gladly take it.

duckroll

I don't really think this is that much of a concern, considering how Square Enix still owns the Xenogears trademark, and they didn't sue Namco for Xenosaga. :p

Although, what is interesting is that when the creator of Fire Emblem pulled this on Nintendo decades ago with Emblem Saga (later renamed Tear Ring Saga), Nintendo actually did take legal action in Japan. The result is actually interesting, because the game was deemed to not be a copyright violation, but eventually Nintendo successfully nailed the publisher on "unfair competition" based on the original title and the marketing materials of the game.

So as far as "creator takes similar idea and make a new game without the original publisher" goes, it's very unlikely to run into copyright issues. But depending on how the game is presented and what they leverage to promote the game, it might be a different issue. Although, in this case, Nintendo might have to sue outside of Japan, which might be too much trouble for them to be worthwhile.

Dascu

I don't really think this is that much of a concern, considering how Square Enix still owns the Xenogears trademark, and they didn't sue Namco for Xenosaga. :p

Although, what is interesting is that when the creator of Fire Emblem pulled this on Nintendo decades ago with Emblem Saga (later renamed Tear Ring Saga), Nintendo actually did take legal action in Japan. The result is actually interesting, because the game was deemed to not be a copyright violation, but eventually Nintendo successfully nailed the publisher on "unfair competition" based on the original title and the marketing materials of the game.

So as far as "creator takes similar idea and make a new game without the original publisher" goes, it's very unlikely to run into copyright issues. But depending on how the game is presented and what they leverage to promote the game, it might be a different issue. Although, in this case, Nintendo might have to sue outside of Japan, which might be too much trouble for them to be worthwhile.
Yeah. I would say that the biggest issue at this point, is that they are using the Eternal Darkness brand and popularity in the advertising and marketing of this game, presumably without Nintendo's approval.

kizmah

Good point. Lovecraft is public domain anyway. Why not just base this game on that?

Excellent point! Instead of tiptoeing around Nintendo's property (and this is getting awfully close I would say), just do what you were ripping of in the first place.

Man I am just so torn about this whole thing. I really LOVE Eternal Darkness and have been hoping for a sequel ever since I finished the first game. I am still kinda holding out hope (fooling myself) that Retro Studios is actually working on one even though I know it's got to be a new Metroid cause it just makes way more sense. But this whole thing just stinks and I really can't see how it could turn out worthy of the original.

i was gone over the weekend and i am so conflicted about this on every level

the thing that made the first eternal darkness so good was how well realized each of the environments were to really make them feel like living places that developed over a dark and twisted history. if they don't get that aspect right then it's all for nothing.

daxgame

as much as Dyack is hated, Eternal Darkness was amazing. The only problem here is that Nintendo isn't involved so I'm not sure if I should expect a Too Human again...

kizmah

Yeah. I would say that the biggest issue at this point, is that they are using the Eternal Darkness brand and popularity in the advertising and marketing of this game, presumably without Nintendo's approval.

That's exactly what makes this whole thing stink so much. Dyack is using the brand and the fans love for it, not only to promote the project, but to actually fund it. He is using the fanbase to kinda do a project that's not actually his to make. It's defintely going to be interesting to see if Nintendo responds to this in any way. I would be surprised if they don't.

Good point. Lovecraft is public domain anyway. Why not just base this game on that?

Have there been any games released that are directly based on Lovecraftian mythology?

as much as Dyack is hated, Eternal Darkness was amazing. The only problem here is that Nintendo isn't involved so I'm not sure if I should expect a Too Human again...

Dyack wasn't the reason Eternal Darkness was amazing. If you haven't read the research threads, Dyack used projects for other publishers (X-Men: Destiny) to fund an ED 2 prototype similar to how Gearbox used Aliens: Colonial Marines to fund Borderlands 2. The difference is that Gearbox got away with it.

On a team of less than a dozen people (and using recycled assets from the ED 2 prototype and the original ED), I would expect Dyack to be a liability.

Call of Cthulhu.

Ah, never played it.

Edit: I read about it on Wikipedia. I only had a PS2 when it was released and wouldn't have been able to play it on PC until years later. I remember reading about it back then and it sounds like it was a good game, but it completely passed me by.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Yeah that's true. I guess the legal limbo is what concerns me. It's not a surefire bet to have what they have. But it also...might work.

To a large degree, it depends on how much Nintendo cares at this point, right?

They're not going to revisit the IP after everything that happened with Silicon Knights.

As an aside, I wouldn't hold much hope for Shadows of the Eternals making it to the Wii U even if its fundraising campaign is successful.

Yeah, that too. If Nintendo truly don't give a shit then they'd probably let it slide. And yeah, the Wii U thing is another concern. How can they promise backers a Wii U version will exist if they haven't been greenlit for the eStore yet? I know the approval process is apparently very smooth these days, but still. Promising PC is easy. Promising console less so.

the thing that made the first eternal darkness so good was how well realized each of the environments were to really make them feel like living places that developed over a dark and twisted history. if they don't get that aspect right then it's all for nothing.

Right, and that's going to take a hit with episodic content too, as you won't see the developments of an environment snappy between characters, like Eternal Darkness where each chapter is super short. I mean, there's really only four or five locations in Eternal Darkness, but they do a great job of extending them across time periods.

Has Nintendo commented on anything about this yet?

No, but to be fair the campaign hasn't started yet. Eight or so more hours.

The Dyack hate in this regard also extends to SK's terrible mismanagement of projects and extremely suss handling of funds. It's a hard image to shake, and rightly so. They might be a new studio, but a lot of ethical questions remain on just how they can be trusted with money before a project has shipped, and their rights to use failed prototypes.

Mifune

Mehmber
Dyack wasn't the reason Eternal Darkness was amazing.

I know we hate Dyack and all but let's not diminish his role in the games we do like. Dyack was the director of Eternal Darkness, and he co-wrote the story and script with Ken McCulloch. He likely played a big part in how well it turned out.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Ah, never played it.

Edit: I read about it on Wikipedia. I only had a PS2 when it was released and wouldn't have been able to play it on PC until years later. I remember reading about it back then and it sounds like it was a good game, but it completely passed me by.

Ten bucks on Steam.

/runs to local game store and throws money at cashier/
ohmygod yes yes yes
So is this basically using footage/assets from the "failed prototype"? I hope they include the Sanity Meter.
Although after that long post about SK/Dyack, not sure if I wanna exactly contribute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom