• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - Atlas Rises |OT| Nada, Polo and you no longer fly solo

legacyzero

Banned
Nice one! Thanks.

edit: Nope, it just shows you how long you've played since Atlas Rises. Very disappointed.

Yeah sadly I'm hearing it's only counting from either 1.2 or 1.3 on and it's not from day 1 😑😑😑😓
Yea I mean dam I played the game 2 months straight at launch at like 4-9 hours a day on average I did skip the first big update but put at least 100 hours in each for 1.2and1.3 so it definitely can't be since day 1

I dunno. I certainly havn't put in 239 hours since 1.3. NO WAY lol

My total playtime for NMS is 590 hoursaccording to Steam :eek:

Civilization 5 (with expansions, DLC and mods) clocks in at 499 hours. The only game I can think of that I might have played more than 600 hours is one of the old Championship/Football Manager games when I was younger. I had too much time on my hands and used to marathon them for hours on end for months.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I dunno. I certainly havn't put in 239 hours since 1.3. NO WAY lol

I think it's got something to do with me reinstalling the game and then deleting all saves to start again with Atlas Rises. I never deleted the hard save on my PS4 though, so I'm not sure why it happened. I know it's only taking into consideration the time I've played since teh Atlas Rises update because the time it tells me more or less matches the stream times in my channel. I'd only been playing for 107 hours according to the saves but I have 400 hours JUST on my channel, and I played a hell of a lot more in the previous months from the day of release. I played between 7 - 12 hours a day for months, sometimes nearing 24 hours at times. It wasn't healthy, I know, but I was obsessed and I'm unemployed! It should be around 2000 hours.

On a planet I was just on: chilled out 6.95m Gek Spawn descendant and these weird pond-dwelling arm-sucker things that thrash around in a totally freaky way.

z8ujSem.jpg

rSQme1C.jpg

This pilot must have bought his license on the black market. Would have challenged them to a duel for trying to land a nosedive next my ship if there were melee weapons and you could do that LOL.

I started up 1.38 for the first time since 1.36 and I was immediately given a new recipe. The only ingredient is Atlas Seeds. What do I do with this? I've never even done the new Atlas Path because I already finished the original one.

fluffthetiger

Neo Member
So how much different is the gameplay with the most recent updates?

I played the very first version for over 30 hours and almost completed the Atlas path then I just got bored. Not sure if I should wait for a future update and even more new game systems to be added or jump in now.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I started up 1.38 for the first time since 1.36 and I was immediately given a new recipe. The only ingredient is Atlas Seeds. What do I do with this? I've never even done the new Atlas Path because I already finished the original one.

There are two Atlas Quest lines. The one that births a star and another, which does something completely different. Don't want to spoil it.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
So how much different is the gameplay with the most recent updates?

I played the very first version for over 30 hours and almost completed the Atlas path then I just got bored. Not sure if I should wait for a future update and even more new game systems to be added or jump in now.

Gameplay isn't too different, there is just a lot more structure and multiple questing paths. You are going to do more than just finding Buildings over and over and getting tech now.

There are two Atlas Quest lines. The one that births a star and another, which does something completely different. Don't want to spoil it.

Huh, thanks. I don’t really feel like going through all that again so I guess I’ll just toss the recipe in the back of the ship and keep on truckin’.

Giolon

Gameplay isn't too different, there is just a lot more structure and multiple questing paths. You are going to do more than just finding Buildings over and over and getting tech now.

Yeah you'll be hopping from world to world trying to find a specific rare resource so you can build something with it to give that something to Peter so he can request you get something else from Paul who will tell you he needs 3 rare things to craft what you need so you’ll have to go off and find those but to do that you need to have Advanced Xeno Dohickey equipped which you never learned so you’ll have to look up on the internet to find out where that schematic comes from only to find out you should already have it and you realize that your game has bugged out and you’ve completely wasted 60-100 hours of prior gameplay time.

But you can build cars to drive around the surface now. One of them is even a hovercraft!

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Huh, thanks. I don't really feel like going through all that again so I guess I'll just toss the recipe in the back of the ship and keep on truckin'.

Possible Spoiler:

Have you finished the Atlas quest line that allows you to pick another Galaxy? I picked the galaxy that has far more paradise planets.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Yeah you'll be hopping from world to world trying to find a specific rare resource so you can build something with it to give that something to Peter so he can request you get something else from Paul who will tell you he needs 3 rare things to craft what you need so you’ll have to go off and find those but to do that you need to have Advanced Xeno Dohickey equipped which you never learned so you’ll have to look up on the internet to find out where that schematic comes from only to find out you should already have it and you realize that your game has bugged out and you’ve completely wasted 60-100 hours of prior gameplay time.

But you can build cars to drive around the surface now. One of them is even a hovercraft!

You didn't say anything about Mary

Possible Spoiler:

Have you finished the Atlas quest line that allows you to pick another Galaxy? I picked the galaxy that has far more paradise planets.

I have not; I'm fine with staying in Euclid.

Speaking of different galaxies though, last night I found another observation tower building terminal in one of the Atlas lvl 2 pass rooms. Except this was one was in the middle of a room that was a huge hologram of a star system with planets animating in their orbital paths. I mean it filled the whole room. Never seen anything like that in the game. Like the first one I found, it also required a Remembrance item, which I believe can only be used after you leave Euclid? Almost makes me want to leave so I can find out what these terminals do.

Finally found two of the new biome planets today. Impressive visually, and maybe even more impressive sonically. The ambient soundtracks were fantastic, old-school foreboding synth lines. But in terms of what they were, it was kind of like looking at the Grand Canyon, "okay, that was nice, time to go." I found one of those ringed structures from the Beau Lamb concept art, but again the interactivity and payoff was kind of..."okay." Still cool to walk around for a bit, just wish there had been more to do narratively on them.

I finally, finally finished the farmer questline, so I can now dismantle my base and get off the formerly-beautiful-now-toxic-hellhole that my base planet is.

admartian

I just started 1.38. Played about 9 hours. Lost on how to build bases get a freighter etc.

Bloody good fun game though!

SirNinja

Anyone else here hyped for 1.5? 1.3 was a major overhaul to NMS, and this update will apparently be so colossal they're skipping 1.4 outright...

Grinchy

Banned
I'm mostly just hoping for real co-op. I don't know if it's really ever going to be a thing, but exploring, gathering, and building with someone is the game I wanted.

I just started 1.38. Played about 9 hours. Lost on how to build bases get a freighter etc.

Bloody good fun game though!

Welcome aboard! I unashamedly love No Mans Sky. It's not something that'll appeal to everyone but that's why I love it, I think.
It's the type of game that I imagined in my head whilst playing Elite with wireframe graphics on the Commodore 64 back in the 80s.

I just read the comments above this one and I didn't realise that there were going to be more updates. That's genuinely exciting. I hope that they improve on the trading aspect of the game. If they do that then I'll never have to fire up the original Elite ever again.

Harlock

Just wondering, if they upgrade the multiplayer aspect, is not bad go to the center of galaxy and restart in another one, with fewer people to interact?

lefty1117

Gold Member
I want more sense of community. I hope they continue to flesh out the multiplayer, add some comms into the game, etc. I do like the sense of solitude on exploring, but I feel like I need an anchor of civilization to come back to from time to time, and the NPCs are just too lifeless.

Harlock

This gave me a chuckle as it's something that I'd consider doing as well :D. I really like the feeling of isolation in NMS.

You know, I liked the game more before the updates, because it was most about you, alone, free, without objectives. The lore in the update was cool, but not exactly what I want from the game. Yet, if they put more content that is multiplayer focused, those details about being at different galaxies are something I like full understand.

Grieves

I'm looking for the blueprints for a warp reactor theta.

Do I have to head towards the galactic centre to find the better tech or should I be looking for high tech systems on the galaxy map?

TimFL

I know what they can add, my list has been the same since day 1 (minus the things the crossed off already)
- A complete revamp of their solar systems that allow rotating planets around a sun (they claim they had this, we know it was never in the game, ever because there are unpatched versions on PS4 out there that confirm it). This probably never happens though, the QA testers being confused is a lie they're telling people and the game whiteknights eat it up and defend them for it. It's actually kind of sad, I would've rather had them post outright saying they couldn't get it to work properly than lie to us.
- Remove the invisible wall that limits us to our fake solar system sandbox, let people fly off into the skybox even if they'll never reach anything out there cause it's just a skybox
- The waking titan arg was nice and all but dragged on way too long. Announce the update, run the ARG to unlock it early (think potato sack arg for Portal 2) or don't have us wait 50 hours between streams and design the streams around the time american users are awake, europe wants to join in on the fun too without calling in sick the next day (I know the ARG company is in canada, they could at least run a few streams at different schedules so everyone get's a piece of the pie: america does step 1, europe continues with step 2 etc).

/rant over, list follows:
- Proper multiplayer (player/ship models, interactions like blasters and miners synced), would be cool if we can create our character when such a patch hits (pick suit design etc)
- Dead planets that float in space
- Generally more planet variety: rings around planets, gas giants (can't be landed on but you could obtain resources from them?)
- Being able to land on an asteroid (this seems to be heavily hinted at?)
- Space aliens? Space whales?
- More fancy space stations. Think Knowhere from the GOTG movie (a giant celestial head that's hollow with a space station inside).
- Allow us to visually alter our space ships (change the paintjob, install visual mods etc. so we aren't too reliant on finding a ship we want), possibly allow the same for space stations
- Don't force us to do base building to obtain important suit upgrades/blueprints. I bought this game for exploration, I have yet to get a base and I have no interest in. Sean promised the game being about exploration and not building a farm, I feel let down in this regard when they force base building onto me every 2 minutes (I still lack a hazmat gauntlet because I don't want to do base building). That would be a step towards giving us more freedom in terms of gameplay/story telling again.
- I'd love more variety in terms of animals. I want giant sandworms as seen in one of their early CGI trailers. Same goes to plants, give us giant trees or dense forests we can't really fly through without blasting a path through them.
- Hopefully they found a way to show the proper planet surface from space (they still have placeholder textures showing, so the lake you're flying to could potentially be a mountain)
- Can we obtain land vehicles without bases? If no, why not be able to add them to your freighter and get an option to launch a capsule containing them to the planet you're currently roaming (would look cool to see your freighter from a planets surface + how it shoots a big capsule that crashes somewhere near you)
- Big cities on planets (rare) so we can at least find huge civilizations at least once every few hours of gameplay (although this could be simulated by having proper MP and more base slots on planets)

I could see Multiplayer as separate mode in a paid DLC in 2019.

What I want most is more interactivity. Everything is so static. Also more variety in animals, buildings and rare biomes.

I checked out my mining base last night and automated miners on Emeril are still bugged and usually produce Heridium o.0

I'm hoping for more 'barons of industry' type stuff in the next big update, but since that was one of the first areas improved in 1.1 and 1.2, suppose it's a bit more pressing to work on something a little bit more core to the original trailers... I'd say, creatures and fauna in general could use a general update, and something about multiple biomes per planet or biomes/weather in general. Please no more biome resets though =/ I'd say the latter is less likely since 1.3 did that a bit, too, so I'm going with a fauna update being more pressing. That and just generally more exploration content (rather than survive or prosper/base-build/economy).

TimFL

I could see Multiplayer as separate mode in a paid DLC in 2019.

What I want most is more interactivity. Everything is so static. Also more variety in animals, buildings and rare biomes.
MP is already in, just very barebones. I don‘t see them fragmenting the playerbase by having it as paid DLC. Not to mention the outcry that‘d cause after them heavily hinting at and claiming some form of MP is in the game prelaunch. That honestly was the sole reason I preordered the game, still a bit sour about it but they at least added MP in now in some form.

McFadge

- Remove the invisible wall that limits us to our fake solar system sandbox, let people fly off into the skybox even if they'll never reach anything out there cause it's just a skybox

Is there actually an invisible wall? Based on videos I saw a while ago it looked like they just got into floating point error land and jumped around due to the precision.

TimFL

Is there actually an invisible wall? Based on videos I saw a while ago it looked like they just got into floating point error land and jumped around due to the precision.
I remember watching a stream during the launch weekend (or after) where someone tried to fly as far out as possible and got stuck/wouldn‘t go further. Could be your explanation, could be an invisible wall that prevents you from going too far out there.
I‘d like it gone but I don‘t think it happens without massive engine rewrites.

Alastor3

Im pretty sure 1.5 will be multiplayer, the lore from 1.3 seems to indicate so. But it's probably be only 16 players in total in the same place, well people could be together up to 16 characters in 1.3.

Spladam

Im pretty sure 1.5 will be multiplayer, the lore from 1.3 seems to indicate so. But it's probably be only 16 players in total in the same place, well people could be together up to 16 characters in 1.3.
I just finished the 1.3 story and it does seem to indicate that multiplayer is their current target (Sean Murray guilt effect).

My PS4 disk drive just stopped working so it seems I can't play this game until I buy the digital version or send Sony my machine.
I'll say this though, if they add true multiplayer, make it so that freighters actually protect you with all the big guns and and pvp capital ship combat, they will have a very epic franchise on their hands.

Banned
I recently got a 1440p monitor and suddenly NMS runs like garbage. Even with my settings on low/medium!

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

No Man's Sky 2016 vs 2022 Graphics Comparison

Timestamps
Granaliza Intro 00:00
Spaceship Model Comparison 00:10
2016 Cockpit View 00:37
2022 Cocpit View 00:58
Space Station Landing Pad 01:20
Alien Lifeform 02:34
2016 Vendor Interface 02:48
2022 Vendor Interface 03:24