• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump "withdraws" White House invitation to Stephen Curry after Curry declines

I don't know if Shaun King is a credible reporter, he's more of an activist but maybe he knows.

Charles Barkley might be right that talking can be productive but Donald Trump has shown time and time and time again that he won't listen to anyone. Not his family, not his friends, not black leaders, not civil rights icons, not Republican Senators who are also black, and certainly not athletes. So at what point are you supposed to give up on trying?

I don't know if Shaun King is a credible reporter, he's more of an activist but maybe he knows.

Charles Barkley might be right that talking can be productive but Donald Trump has shown time and time and time again that he won't listen to anyone. Not his family, not his friends, not black leaders, not civil rights icons, not Republican Senators who are also black, and certainly not athletes. So at what point are you supposed to give up on trying?

King has been reporting this all day, except he keeps ticking the number up. I had the impression he is talking to individual players. But like someone said, we will see tomorrow. I'm not promising this will happen of course.

linkboy

fixed

edit: Just read that Drumpf was a USFL owner haha. Had no idea. He apparently also inadvertently killed it!

Not inadvertently, he killed it outright.

The USFL had its niche carved out, they played their games in the spring, during the NFL offseason (it wasn't like it is today). Trump was one of the owners pushing to move the season to the fall to take on the NFL.

That moved killed the league.

Sobriquet

Not inadvertently, he killed it outright.

The USFL had its niche carved out, they played their games in the spring, during the NFL offseason (it wasn't like it is today). Trump was one of the owners pushing to move the season to the fall to take on the NFL.

That moved killed the league.

It was inadvertent. He made that move to merge with the NFL, instead the league died. But they won $3 (not a typo) in a lawsuit with the NFL!

Note: all of my knowledge of this comes from Wikipedia.

My favorite coach in all of football. Pete Carroll.
https://twitter.com/PeteCarroll/status/911811747442544640
DKdn7YpUIAAOfUm.jpg:large

Maybe they'll head towards the locker room during the anthem and come back out when it's over?

Or if they do "stand" then maybe instead of having their hand on their hearts, they will have their arms crossed

My thing with LeBron is he normally feels the need to get in on things as an attention seeker and get some accolades from it.

I know this goes beyond sports and his history with the Warriors and even though he basically said f you to them in his own way when he had that party shitting on Curry and the rest of the team.

The thing is he's loud about it...Warriors as a whole have been classy about this and trying to go about it in a respectful way and this dude comes out with his "you a bum" and "ain't nobody trying to go there" responses. Wasn't his battle and he comes in loud and wants to get the accolades.

This is LBJs MO...has been for a long ass time.

My thing with LeBron is he normally feels the need to get in on things as an attention seeker and get some accolades from it.

I know this goes beyond sports and his history with the Warriors and even though he basically said f you to them in his own way when he had that party shitting on Curry and the rest of the team.

The thing is he's loud about it...Warriors as a whole have been classy about this and trying to go about it in a respectful way and this dude comes out with his "you a bum" and "ain't nobody trying to go there" responses. Wasn't his battle and he comes in loud and wants to get the accolades.

Lebron has been a loud critic of Trump before the election night in 2016. He even tried to get his state of Ohio to support Hilary by publicly attending her event and endorsing her. All he got in return was people in his home state saying stfu about politics and play basketball as they still voted for Trump.

mjp2417

Banned

what is wrong with you?

giphy.gif

Yeah, he has every right to voice his opinion. This situation is like him telling Curry and the rest of the Warriors to stand aside cause he's got this though. Let me get loud and say things that will get a lot more attention...as we can see with the twitter reactions. Instead of just coming out and saying he supports Curry on his stance.

Yeah, he has every right to voice his opinion. This situation is like him telling Curry and the rest of the Warriors to stand aside cause he's got this though. Let me get loud and say things that will get a lot more attention...as we can see with the twitter reactions. Instead of just coming out and saying he supports Curry on his stance.

If Lebron wanted accolades from the public he would have prepared a safe PR-written statement like all the owners have been doing. He responded because Trump said something completely wrong and outrageous to a fellow player period.

LotusHD

Banned

This is such a weird take

hey becky wanna come to my place for a party, my folks are out of town ;)

no thanks not really my scene

fine fuc u u werent invited anyway

what a fucking child lol

Holy fucking fuck. That first guy's string of replies... he just posts a bunch of anti-black racist bullshit. Out of fucking nowhere. How fucking assblasted and racist do you have to be to do that just because a basketball player called the president a bum?! And he's verified and has a 1m+ subcriber youtube channel?

I fucking hate this world. Current times are sad as fuck.

Game-Biz

Holy fucking fuck. That first guy's string of replies... he just posts a bunch of anti-black racist bullshit. Out of fucking nowhere. How fucking assblasted and racist do you have to be to do that just because a basketball player called the president a bum?! And he's verified and has a 1m+ subcriber youtube channel?

I fucking hate this world. Current times are sad as fuck.

Yeah, that fucking asshole is such a shitstain. Youtube and Twitter needs to ban his ass. But that's not going to happen.

Slayven

Come on now. Barkley has talked about social issues for three decades now. If you don't like his opinions about basketball that's fine, but he makes a lot of sense when he's not goofing around.
And he has been wrong for 30 years. He is very anti black

Slayven

Charles Barkley is anti black? Wat?

http://www.complex.com/sports/2016/...ar-opinions-racial-profiling-police-shootings

Barkley: There's a lot of people at fault. The cops have made some mistakes. Black people have made some mistakes. Until we stop...We have to sit back and be honest with each other. The cops have made some mistakes. That don't give us the right to riot and shoot cops. We need the cops, especially in the black community. We as black people, we've got to do better. We never get mad when black people kill each other, which that always has bothered me. It's always bothered me. And then, somebody is gonna scream like, ‘Well, you can't change the subject.' Well, first of all, I've never changed the subject. I've always said that, ‘We as black people, if you want respect, you have to give each other respect.' You can't demand respect from white people and the cops if we don't respect each other.

We got to do better as black people. The cops have made some mistakes, but there's a lot of blame to go around. But I'm not going to get on TV and yell like all these other idiots. I'm willing to sit down with anybody and have constructive criticism. I always tell myself as a black man: 'Am I part of the problem or part of the solution?' If I'm out doing illegal stuff, stupid stuff, I'm part of the problem. If I'm helping young black kids go to college like I'm trying to do, if I'm giving money to causes to help young men, I know I'm part of the solution. I'm not perfect, I'm not trying to be perfect, but you have to ask yourself: 'Are you part of the problem or are you part of the solution?'

I respect and admire what cops do. My bodyguard is a cop, a black cop. We talk about situations all the time. One of the problems with this stuff is the media—all these people are Monday morning quarterbacks. Do you know what they are, Dan? They're Monday morning quarterbacks, because they don't have the stones to play on Sunday. Everybody says what I would do or what I should do. I think some of these cops are panicking under pressure. I had a real in-depth conversation with my bodyguard about the gun thing in Minnesota. You know, Dan, I'm a gun guy, and he always warns me. He says, ‘Do not put your ID where your gun is.' He says, ‘What I think...' He says, ‘Whether we think the cop is right or wrong...' First of all, everything is happening in fast motion. Everybody gets to sit back and see what happens. He says, ‘What I think happened is that guy said, Can I have your ID?' And then the next thing he said is, ‘I have a gun,' and he reaches. And I think the cop just panicked.

Dan, these guys are dealing with criminals everyday, and that's easy for you to say. That's easy for you to say. And like I said, I'm not saying they should racially profile guys. But I'm saying we can't jump to conclusions every time, like, just because a guy is black. First of all, there is racial profiling. There has always been racism. First of all, there's racism on both sides, let's get that straight. But to just assume...First of all, if you go back and look at that thing in Louisiana, I think those cops clearly overreacted, but there's no doubt in my mind that if I'm fighting with a guy and I hear somebody scream ”Gun!" and I got a gun, I'm going to shoot the guy. And like I said, the cops probably did overreact in both situations, but we got to look at the big picture. Let's work with the cops, because we need the cops, Dan. If it wasn't for the cops, we would be living in the Wild, Wild West. And let me get this straight: Cops have made mistakes, but as a black person, every time you...hey, listen, we still got to do better. But like I say, why don't black people get mad when we kill each other? I'm not trying to deflect or place blame, that's just a fact.

Well, Dan, because in fairness, because some black people out there are crooks. You can't sit there and act like all these—and first of all, I'm not saying in that situation—there's a reason there's some...and I'm not saying that's right, either. There is some reason why there's racial stereotypes because some of these black people out there are committing crimes. Let's don't sit there and act like all our hands are clean.

Not all skinfolks are your kinfolks

TuXx

With everything that's going on in the world right now, does this warrant any type of energy for him to be tweeting about this?

Barkley has been a vocal member of the Republican party for decades, it was only recently that he distanced himself. He's still clearly conservative.

You want intelligent hot takes from a black athlete, look up Kareem Abdul Jabbar.

Edit: Trump has met with black celebrities (Kanye) and prominent members of the black community (see: all HBCU leaders in his office). He was only interested in the photo op. His campaign turned down every single invitation to have a dialogue with the black community in 2016. Every. Single. One.

With everything that's going on in the world right now, does this warrant any type of energy for him to be tweeting about this?

He doesn't know jackshit about healthcare and his threats to NK aren't working. So he's moved on to this. But now it seems to be backfiring as well as it only pissed off athletes.

rambis

Banned

Lol tell us how you really feel.

You act like this is the first time Lebron has blasted Trump on twitter. I don't think this is quite the time or place for the bullshit bro-phycology

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Look at that hot take. Jesus Christ. When Bam Bam is not even shitting on Lebron and you are, you know you've walked over the edge.

bionic77

He should really stick to shutting the fuck up.

What a stupid n.....

Narsissist!

Top Bottom