• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump "withdraws" White House invitation to Stephen Curry after Curry declines

So he's saying the warriors declining the invitation sets a bad precedent?

Cause that's pretty stupid

He says that they should've gone and initiated a conversation with Trump to try to get him to "understand" what their problems are. Because he's obviously shown himself to be someone that's willing to listen to other points of view.

kirblar

He says that they should've gone and initiated a conversation with Trump to try to get him to "understand" what their problems are. Because he's obviously shown himself to be someone that's willing to listen to other points of view.
He should ask Tim Scott how that goes.

Oh. Oh wow. Lmao. Does Charles have CTE?

Kusagari

Charles Barkley would have been telling MLK to try a dialogue that didn't involve inconveniencing white people in the 1960s.

IHaveIce

Banned
Kobe also made a great tweet.

I'm so glad many athletes are coming out and speak against Trump.

Also Chris Evans always is a treasure on twitter

when we actually had a real president not a fake one

920x1240.jpg

how far we've fallen.

oh shit.

you're our LeBron, Sunhi.

Looks like the UNC men's basketball team won't visit the White House either:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/college/article175046316.html

good.

Golden State's response:

DKbok2IU8AAwbqa.jpg:large

Awesome.

They should go to the new black history Smithsonian museum. It's like smelling salts for the soul. You'll wake right the fuck up if you were asleep.

Damn, Charles really is in The Sunken Place.

I have no reason to feel anything about him, yet I still feel incredible shame and disappointment by his presence and positions he generally takes that attack his own community.

Charles Barkley ain't shit.

Wait really? Wow.

Yea. He said it was a family thing (I believe his mom was in the hospital?). I'd like to think he would not have attended even if all were well. As a man that graduated from my university, I just need to believe him smarter and better than that. hat in locker aside. lol

Charles Barkley is an idiot, what else is new?

I think calling him an idiot is too reductive. It side-steps and betrays a proper attempt to diagnose his pattern of behavior and thinking, and disables our ability to meaningfully counter his positions to him or in the public sphere where his ideas are retweeted and discussed by people sympathetic to his positions as "one of the good ones".

Generally speaking, it's dangerous to just call people "idiots" unless their IQ is 70 or something. It's essential that the mentality and belief system of such people be fully understood so that we can address them and people who think like this definitively and effectively, with the goal of limiting the germination and spread of these embryonic thoughts.

Kadin

What I don't understand about Charles' comments is this: does he really think them sitting down with Trump and explaining their opinions would have any weight? I think Trump has proven time and time again that he will do what HE wants and that's it. No one will convince him otherwise. I think it's pretty ridiculous for Barkley to think they could sway him in any way to do something he is or isn't already doing.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I used to believe this. Donald Trump's fuckery is an entirely unique situation.
Yup. Must feel so gross being invited with him there, knowing it’s so he can surround himself with actual talented famous people, which he so desperately craves.

tr4nce 26

Banned
Remember when Trump said he was going to try and not say or do dumb things so maybe people would like him?

This guy is a truck.

Kenai

What I don't understand about Charles' comments is this: does he really think them sitting down with Trump and explaining their opinions would have any weight? I think Trump has proven time and time again that he will do what HE wants and that's it. No one will convince him otherwise. I think it's pretty ridiculous for Barkley to think they could sway him in any way to do something he is or isn't already doing.

Or even worse, he will do what he did to other people who tried to meet with them and snap a few pictures for the "see I love all the blacks" photo ops before shoving them out the door

Slayven

This, i mean Trump doesn't have the manners of a random person on the streets. Let a lone the leader of the free world.

Say what you well about Bush, goof as he is, it was never this level of malevolent embarrassment

Zolo

This, i mean Trump doesn't have the manners of a random person on the streets. Let a lone the leader of the free world.

Say what you well about Bush, goof as he is, it was never this level of malevolent embarrassment

Bush genuinely respected the office and for all the shit he did, genuinely seemed to care about the American people. Trump has none of that. The funny thing is how well-liked Trump would be if he actually acted respectably when he became president.

Trump is such a baby, I love it. And good on LeBron (and anybody else) that calls out Trump for this.

It's literally a "No I'm breaking up with your!" or a "I quit before you fire me!" situation. Hilarious.

Nasbin

It's some bullshit acting like Steph is some lone agent setting precedent here when there's a whole roster of players lining up refusing to visit the WH. That and the fact that players have already skipped out on WH visits of previous administrations; so much for setting precedent.

This is something I hope people can recognize. A Trump presidency is. not. normal. and it's wrong to act like we should defer it the respect of any other presidency. If Mitt Romney was in the WH it'd be a different matter.

EDIT: This is basically what Steve Kerr said. Really nice statement.

I think calling him an idiot is too reductive. It side-steps and betrays a proper attempt to diagnose his pattern of behavior and thinking, and disables our ability to meaningfully counter his positions to him or in the public sphere where his ideas are retweeted and discussed by people sympathetic to his positions as "one of the good ones".

Generally speaking, it's dangerous to just call people "idiots" unless their IQ is 70 or something. It's essential that the mentality and belief system of such people be fully understood so that we can address them and people who think like this definitively and effectively, with the goal of limiting the germination and spread of these embryonic thoughts.

Yeah no, his content within the interview is enough for me to call him an idiot. This same guy thinks today's NBA players are spoiled when he did what they did back in the day, is anti-Analytics despite them having legitimacy in the NBA, and that's before getting into some of his nonsensical politics/society views. An idiot like him thinks it's possible for one of -if not- the most stubborn and child-minded president(s) in American History to simply listen to whatever GSW would have to say, and completely ignore Trump's history as a bigot, sexist, jingoist and whatever else -ists. That is the definition of being ridiculously disingenuous, especially when he as a black man should know how incompatible Trump's policy interests is with his (and every other black man, woman, children, etc) experience as a Black American.

Additionally, the discussion of patterns and behaviours would only work if the other side is willing to concede. Given how Trump, Barkley, etc. act on social media, and their propensity to be stubborn, there is absolutely no way a proper discussion can be had. They aren't going to admit that they are wrong, so what's the point?

Top Bottom