• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.

AniHawk

2006 - Wii's real debut, pretty much their most successful E3 ever. Brawl, Prime 3, and Galaxy were revealed as future titles, there were stampedes for the wii line
2007 - Brawl, Metroid Prime 3, Mario Kart Wii, Galaxy, Mario Strikers Charged, Phantom Hourglass, Wii Fit
2008 - Oh GOD someone kill cammie, ravi drums nightmare fuel and wii music
2009 - Wii Sports Resort, Galaxy 2, NSMBWii, Other M, Mario & Luigi, Golden Sun DS, Spirit Tracks
2010 - Amazing 3DS reveal, 007, DKCR, Skyward Sword, Kirby Epic Yarn, Kid Icarus
2011 - snore fest and botched wii u reveal
2012 - ????????

I think they're going to deliver on the hype.

2003: pac-man vs., geist, twin snakes, and anger. lots of anger. especially towards pac-man vs.
2004: ZEEEELDAAAA WRRAAAAHHH!! (the show floor was pretty strong. gamecube had donkey konga, four swords adventure, pikmin 2, re4, gba had pokemon remakes and other stuff)
2005: revolution reveal. bunch of ds games announced.

don't remember 2001 or 2002. i know that 2000 was the year where the dreamcast had a great showing, but everyone knew the system was only living on borrowed time. all i remember from 2001 is the hype towards the xbox because microsoft was entering the ring.

You two crazy old buggers!

Waaah? Wii U is the one that I want. Is it wrong to say so?

Going back on topic: So if the Rayman leak is anything to go by, does that mean Wii U's shtick with time will be primarily NFC? Or is there also something else at play that could probably not be demonstrated by this 2D platformer? Something online perhaps?

We'll find out if Nintendo is holding something else from being shown. If the Rayman video is any indication, either there isn't any other feature or they displayed only what they know. Considering it was meant for internal use only I would assume if they knew more they would have shown it in the video.

HylianTom

Banned
I have an idea. How about twitch.tv? They use that over on Wrassle-GAF to run the "Hey everybody watch me play N64 all night!" weekly events.

edit: Hmm, though it seems to be focused specifically on game sharing.

Looking into it right now. I've never done any live broadcasting of any sort, so this is going to be a learning experience.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
2003: pac-man vs., geist, twin snakes, and anger. lots of anger. especially towards pac-man vs.
2004: ZEEEELDAAAA WRRAAAAHHH!! (the show floor was pretty strong. gamecube had donkey konga, four swords adventure, pikmin 2, re4, gba had pokemon remakes and other stuff)

don't remember 2001 or 2002. i know that 2000 was the year where the dreamcast had a great showing, but everyone knew the system was only living on borrowed time. all i remember from 2001 is the hype towards the xbox because microsoft was entering the ring.
Oh Pacman VS. What a terrible game to show on stage.
I don't remember 2001 or 2002 that much either. The only conference around that time I really recollect was Spaceworld 2001 because of the big hubbub about Celda.
All the conferences lost last year. That was such a boring ass E3
Unless Microsoft or Sony show off their new consoles that 'wow' everyone, it will likely be another boring one. I don't have faith Nintendo will turn it around for the E3 crowd after such a bad first impression.

Conor 419

Banned
My favourite Penny Arcade Comic.

20090603.jpg

If only we knew.

MisterHero

lol 2003 was the Year of Connectivity. The booing made Connectivity leaving with the attitude, "You'll see, YOU'LL ALL SEE!!". Its plan finally comes to fruition with the official debut of the Wii U this year. mwahahahaha

HylianTom

Banned
Read my edit of that post.

Ahh yes! I am quite familiar with Justin.tv, hehehehe.. but as a viewer.

Wait..

I take that back!

My dog, Jake, used to have his own channel there! I'd leave my iPod Touch at home with him, and I'd use the Justin.tv app to do a live stream of him from home so that I could watch him from work. Easy stuff!

This just might be the way to go. Yep.
I'd want to do a test run sometime between here and then, but yes.. this might be the way to go..

HylianTom

Banned
Unless Microsoft or Sony show off their new consoles that 'wow' everyone, it will likely be another boring one. I don't have faith Nintendo will turn it around for the E3 crowd after such a bad first impression.
This is going to be another case where there are stampedes to the Nintendo demo kiosks among show attendees, but the press is going to be all, "Umm.. we don't get it."

I love the stark division shown in moments like this.

DrWong

There's no guaranty Nintendo will take E3. Not when this is Nintendo. I'm sure Microsoft and Sony have a ton of goodies and big surprises they're holding back for E3 (though I expect more leaks closer to E3), and I'm not totally confident Nintendo will pull the Wii U re-reveal off.

A chunk of their conference dedicated to ports that will show up on other platforms, even with Wii U gimmicks trying to impress, just wont cut it.
At least, now that they go HD, Nintendo will do ok.

Now, what I really think is Nintendo will gangbang E3 as well as GAF.

I think we Nintendo fans are going to be hyped to the heavens, no doubt. We'll easily think Nintendo "wins" E3.

But for converting new hardcore fans? I remain ever-skeptical. Nintendo could have a whole chorus line of rock-ribbed, hardcore western gaming god-developers, and lots of the core feel so wronged and out-of-sync with Nintendo that few would be convinced.

So here's the thing... My super secret pipe dream wish is that the Wii U gets virtually every third party title from launch, and whatever few titles it doesn't get wind up on PC. This is so I can retire my PS3 this Fall and not buy the inevitable successor whenever it appears.

I still love video games and spend plenty of time playing them and consuming related media. But having more than one console under my TV has gotten to the point where it's almost as difficult to justify as having 2 Blu-ray players (which I actually had 3 of at one point.)

So yeah, I have a big fingers crossed on this one. Can't imagine I'm the only one. I simply won't miss a huge chunk of Nintendo's output, and what Sony and MS put out isn't different enough from what third parties offer to really demand my attention.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
This is going to be another case where there are stampedes to the Nintendo demo kiosks among show attendees, but the press is going to be all, "Umm.. we don't get it."

I remember people being impressed when the Wii was originally demoed and disappointed later when they found out how limited the tech was.

Yeah, that's what happen when you're working with 5-6 year old consoles at the end of the console generations. There's some announced games I still want to see, Bioshock Infinite, Halo 4, Assassin Creed 3, The Last of Us, etc. And the big disapointment of E3 last year was the lack of surprise awesome game announcement. Last year had Far Cry 3 and uh...that's it. Already we've seen Rayman Legends out of nowhere, sequel to my GOTY from 2011, and now there's another game I want to play this year. The promise of a new console means a bunch of guaranteed new games to hopefully look forward to this year, but I hope there's some surprises in store.

And, of course, the inevitable announcement of Viewtiful Joe 3 this year. Shit is gonna be so amazing, you guys.

Ahh yes! I am quite familiar with Justin.tv, hehehehe.. but as a viewer.

Wait..

I take that back!

My dog, Jake, used to have his own channel there! I'd leave my iPod Touch at home with him, and I'd use the Justin.tv app to do a live stream of him from home so that I could watch him from work. Easy stuff!

This just might be the way to go. Yep.
I'd want to do a test run sometime between here and then, but yes.. this might be the way to go..

Oh, there's also ustream.tv. I know that one of the benefits of this one is that you can apparently save some of the live bits so people can watch later. Not important for playing something half a decade old, but I am wondering if justin.tv allows for the same functionality.

I think I've watched one or two Nintendo conferences on ustre---

!!!!

Ustream! U!!!

Okay, I vote you put Nintendo's conference videos on the U stream. :D

HylianTom

Banned
I remember people being impressed when the Wii was originally demoed and disappointed later when they found out how limited the tech was.

Same here. It was new and exciting enough to get Nintendo through the Wii's most important E3, but the limitations grew more and more visible over time.

Then again, all systems have their limitations that loom larger and larger as time passes. Still, Nintendo in a sense got away with glossing-over those limits.

The stampedometer is actually both my estimator for how popular the system will ultimately be (I'm still putting the floor at 50m units), and it's Nintendo's estimator for how high they think they should price their product.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Yeah, that's what happen when you're working with 5-6 year old consoles at the end of the console generations. There's some announced games I still want to see, Bioshock Infinite, Halo 4, Assassin Creed 3, The Last of Us, etc. And the big disapointment of E3 last year was the lack of surprise awesome game announcement. Last year had Far Cry 3 and uh...that's it. Already we've seen Rayman Legends out of nowhere, sequel to my GOTY from 2011, and now there's another game I want to play this year. The promise of a new console means a bunch of guaranteed new games to hopefully look forward to this year, but I hope there's some surprises in store.

And, of course, the inevitable announcement of Viewtiful Joe 3 this year. Shit is gonna be so amazing, you guys.
The lack of surprise announcements was also my big disappointment from last year. I don't think it was due to leaks either. Wasn't it 2010 when Jack Tretton came out joking that he was worried no one was going to show up?

MisterHero

I remember people being impressed when the Wii was originally demoed and depressed later when they found out it was so limited.
It's a natural response.

However, I think if Nintendo could've delivered more motion-reliant, quality games like Skyward Sword throughout the generation, their case to delay HD would've been stronger. The Wii series was tremendous but they have to prove it had a place in conventional genre games.

Medalion

Banned
It all comes down to what's under the hood... we don't care how fun or great the presentation of the games are... if it's underpowered, we'll shit on the system and company till the cows come home

Gamers are willing to forgive and forget things pretty quickly. Nintendo will be in great shape with the Wii U if they roll out an impressive first party lineup (which I think many expect them to do) and a solid third party lineup that offers every (or almost every) major third party title. The third party stuff is really what's most important. Having GTA5 and Black Ops 2 confirmed at the event would be huge. It would be even bigger if they manage to land some sort of major exclusive content for GTA5. And it wouldn't hurt to have someone from Rockstar on stage doing a Gabe Newell where they promise that the Wii U version will be the best version of the game.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Last year snore fest? Whaaaaaaaaaaaat?

The Wii U reveal was miserable. I wish I could flash my memory and make this year the full, true reveal, the point where I don't even know what the controller looks like. I think (hope) they'll get it right last year, but last year was weirdly undercooked. Like they were stretching limited info and substance over far too much time.

The orchestra was awesome though.

All I remember from Sony's is the painfully obvious plants, and I don't remember Microsoft's at all.

Last year was terrible.

guek

Banned
The lack of surprise announcements was also my big disappointment from last year. I don't think it was due to leaks either. Wasn't it 2010 when Jack Tretton came out joking that he was worried no one was going to show up?

After the last nintendo direct and the investors meeting having such sparse Wii U details, it's pretty clear nintendo is on major lockdown until E3. I'm sure they're furious over the rayman leak. I think they're going to try to change perceptions by having an overwhelmingly jam packed conference.

Linkhero1

The Wii U reveal was miserable. I wish I could flash my memory and make this year the full, true reveal, the point where I don't even know what the controller looks like. I think (hope) they'll get it right last year, but last year was weirdly undercooked. Like they were stretching limited info and substance over far too much time.

All I remember from Sony's is the painfully obvious plants, and I don't remember Microsoft's at all.

Last year was terrible.

How can you have forgotten all the pre-recorded videos and such at MS's conference?
I don't remember it either

On a serious note, I believe Nintendo shouldn't have revealed the Wii U last year and just wowed everyone this year. They could have used that time to show off Wii games or something.

Medalion

Banned
It will be big trouble if Nintendo can't make Wii-U very appealing at this E3, this is their big chance to advertise this to everybody and show everybody they're back and bigger than ever. I could understand last year cuz they barely had anything developed or finalized, but there should be no excuse this time around.

The gleam from the Wii-U better be brighter than Reggie's chin

Conor 419

Banned

Last year was terrible.

Considering Nintendo weren't even going to show the Wii U last year, it made me wonder what on earth they would have shown instead.

MisterHero

On a serious note, I believe Nintendo shouldn't have revealed the Wii U last year and just wowed everyone this year. They could have used that time to show off Wii games or something.
What puzzles me is that Nintendo did the same thing with the Revolution Remote. Showed the thing, a couple tech demos and did nothing until E3.

Even knowing what Nintendo had done earlier, people called it a screw-up that they showed the controller and did nothing else (albeit the Revolution controller wasn't E3).

I do think other things could've led to disappointment though, that a new E3 probably won't change:

-You still use Wii Remotes (M+?) as the standard controller
-Only 1 tablet controller to use per console (maybe they'll make 2 accessible?)

Wiz

It will be big trouble if Nintendo can't make Wii-U very appealing at this E3, this is their big chance to advertise this to everybody and show everybody they're back and bigger than ever. I could understand last year cuz they barely had anything developed or finalized, but there should be no excuse this time around.

The gleam from the Wii-U better be brighter than Reggie's chin

The name still worries me, and could be a bit of a problem of separating it from Wii. It all comes down to the hardware and how big a step up this is from any other Nintendo console.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Same here. It was new and exciting enough to get Nintendo through the Wii's most important E3, but the limitations grew more and more visible over time.

Then again, all systems have their limitations that loom larger and larger as time passes. Still, Nintendo in a sense got away with glossing-over those limits.
Yeah Nintendo did do an excellent job covering it up. I recall them being pretty reluctant to admit it couldn't do one-to-one. Funny enough, of the three motion controls, the Move was the only one that from the beginning accurately displayed its capabilities and it's the least successful by far. The initial Kinect video with Milo and scanning in the skateboard could have been possible I suppose if they hadn't downgraded the tech of the Kinect from their original plans.
The Wii series was tremendous but they have to prove it had a place in conventional genre games.
You mean like them using Wii Sports Resort games in Zelda? Little too late by then.
It would be even bigger if they manage to land some sort of major exclusive content for GTA5. And it wouldn't hurt to have someone from Rockstar on stage doing a Gabe Newell where they promise that the Wii U version will be the best version of the game.
Nintendo doesn't seem inclined to hunt for exclusive content (sans Ubisoft), just for exclusive games. If anyone were to come out on stage it would be someone from EA like last year or Ubisoft.

However, I think if Nintendo could've delivered more motion-reliant, quality games like Skyward Sword throughout the generation, their case to delay HD would've been stronger. The Wii series was tremendous but they have to prove it had a place in conventional genre games.

I think this was a side effect of Nintendo's normally incredibly wise strategy of playing conservatively. It would probably have been smarter in the long term to expand their workforce more back then, as they are doing now, so they'd be able to release games at a better clip. They probably wouldn't be selling Wii systems in god mode, but the sales quite possibly might still be selling at levels competitive with the PS3 and Xbox 360.

And, well, software sales would be even more impressive than they are now.

BlackJace

If they put out a Super Smash Bros HD combo pack at launch that was strictly a Melee + Brawl HD port with competent online and matchmaking, how well do you think it'd sell?

I'd buy several copies myself. That's something I don't see happening at launch, but if it did, Melee will consume yet another 100+ hours of my life.

Brawl gets 30.

AniHawk

i was watching it of a buddy's ipad while we were sitting at the entrance to the show floor. couldn't really hear much or see much because a few of us were watching at the same time. i came in when reggie was calling it the new controller, and then a bunch of demos started playing with miis, and i thought that instead of making a new console, they would just ride the wii out into the sunset with a table controller, or that the tablet controller would actually be the entire console (with wii-level power) and connect to the tv.

and this was after months of project cafe speculation where i felt i was pretty well-informed.

Medalion

Banned
The name still worries me, and could be a bit of a problem of separating it from Wii. It all comes down to the hardware and how big a step up this is from any other Nintendo console.

I am fully prepared to accept the reality that they will keep Wii-U, or at least Wii as part of the official name for the system. The system is clearly modelled after the Wii in look, ways of controls, philosophies, the color, the fact it uses Wiimotes in addition to the new Tablet controller

Linkhero1

What puzzles me is that Nintendo did the same thing with the Revolution Remote. Showed the thing, a couple tech demos and did nothing until E3.

Even knowing what Nintendo had done earlier, people called it a screw-up that they showed the controller and did nothing else (albeit the Revolution controller wasn't E3).

I do think other things could've led to disappointment though, that a new E3 probably won't change:

-You still use Wii Remotes (M+?) as the standard controller
-Only 1 tablet controller to use per console (maybe they'll make 2 accessible?)

Honestly, if they just reveal a good amount of software and the lineup is great then this E3 can probably be their best E3. I'm pretty sure no matter what they do this E3 people will find something to be disappointed.

guek

Banned
I'd buy several copies myself. That's something I don't see happening at launch, but if it did, Melee will consume yet another 100+ hours of my life.

Brawl gets 30.

What if you could disable tripping?

Man, I think brawl gets way too much hate. My 3 big gripes with it are poor online, tripping, and broken meta-knight. Everything else was pretty boss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom