• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DLC's and expansions that are better than the base game?

Farks!

Like the title says.

Pillars of Eternity: The White March
Obsidian showed they understood what worked and worked less well in PoE with this two part expansion. Aside from the changes in the games systems there is vast improvement in encounter design and pacing which definitely makes combat more fun and engaging. It also manages to bring out more of its lore and world building, and even though I don't think a side story in an expansion can be compared to a whole main quest line there is something more involving and direct about the story here.

Dishonored: The Knife of Dunwall & The Brigmore Witches
I played the first Dishonored when it came out but didn't play the DLC until last summer, so maybe my experience with the base game isn't fresh enough to compare. But having a voiced protagonist changed the feel of narrative for the better, as it made character interactions feel more alive. It also improves upon the originals level design with even bigger and more indulgent levels than before.

Better maybe not but Dishonored DLC is indeed god tier.

Arguably Borderlands 2 DLC. Its very good and sometimes better than the main game

Mass Effect 3: Citadel.

Funny, decently done plot, loads of fan appeal, a huge party, an ending better than the main game, and that's before the battle arena which finally lets you get ME1/2 Squadmates again.

Dragon Age Origins: Awakening

This Expansion was practically a full sequel. Took place after the main game and had an extremely compelling storyline with one of the best villains the series has seen yet (the
Broodmother or whatever she was called after she got her mind back and was driven insane.
).

ME2's Kasumi DLC

The mission itself wasn't anything to right home about, but it included a new SMG that was one of the best weapons in the game. Anytime I play ME2 I always do the Kasumi stuff as soon as possible so I can get that gun. I also like any Bioware DLC that adds a new character, since it's content that will effect the whole game if you have them in your party.
Arguably Borderlands 2 DLC. Its very good and sometimes better than the main game
I'd say Borderlands 1 too. The DLC was really where the game was able to embrace some of it's goofier elements.

The Zombie Island of Dr. Z (or whatever it was called) was one of my favorites. Headshotting the main zombies was just so satisfying and there was a lot of good humor throughout it. It was also visually a really good area compared to a lot of the bland deserts and caves of the main game.

Hearts of Stone, Far Harbor, and The Old Hunters.

That's a lot of correctness in one post. Although I will say I got sick of Far Harbor as a location, with its constant fog. But the story was an improvement for sure.

Also like the OP said, the Dishonored DLC was fan-fucking-tastic. Daud was... I was gonna say more interesting, but he's a character, and Corvo wasn't.

jackmurray

Neo Member
Dark Souls 2 had killer DLC that really lifted the rest of that game up; there was a real loathing for DS2 for ages that has almost completely evaporated these days, and I think a lot of that is due to the DLC.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Despite owning the Dishonored DLC on 3 systems (PS3, PS4, PC), I still haven't played it. I don't know why I never got around to it since I loved Dishonored 1 and 2 (you'll always see me praising Dishonored 2 whenever I get the chance, unforgettable game)

The Old Hunters took Bloodborne from a great game to one of the best games ever.

Took a game from legendary to greatest of all time.

How about the Mario Kart 8 DLC? New tracks are sublime plus it opened the door to non Mario properties like Zelda, Animal Crossing and F-Zero

General Knoxx > Borderlands
Dragon Keep > Borderlands 2
Halo 3 ODST > Halo 3 (it's a standalone expansion so I don't know if it counts though)

True Fire

Despite owning the Dishonored DLC on 3 systems (PS3, PS4, PC), I still haven't played it. I don't know why I never got around to it since I loved Dishonored 1 and 2 (you'll always see me praising Dishonored 2 whenever I get the chance, unforgettable game)

Took a game from legendary to greatest of all time.

How about the Mario Kart 8 DLC? New tracks are sublime plus it opened the door to non Mario properties like Zelda, Animal Crossing and F-Zero

Mario Kart 8's DLC had the best tracks in the game. Very experimental, in both the gameplay and music departments.

Soma

FF14: Heavensward

I already enjoyed the game quite a bit before but this just elevated it on many levels

ME2's Kasumi DLC.

The mission itself wasn't anything to right home about, but it included a new SMG that was one of the best weapons in the game. Anytime I play ME2 I always do the Kasumi stuff as soon as possible so I can get that gun.
Come to think of it, I do the same as well. Every time.

I came in to say Dishonored's DLC and OP already had it.

Bloodborne The Old Hunters.
I think the general content is a step above the main game, but like Bloodborne is still an amazing game before that.

Muramasa: Genroku Legends.
This is just straight up better than the original game. The gameplay is better, there's 4 different characters, the bosses are pretty good too and there is new music and story done for each DLC. You can tell they did this DLC later than they did Muramasa (well I think the DLC was made post-Dragon's Crown?) and you can tell they learned from that experience and just made the game more fun to play. I easily recommend the Vita version of Muramasa purely because the DLC is so good.

Shadowrun Dragonfall.

DLC so good they made it standalone later.

Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 DLC had you play as Alucard and had some awesome puzzles. It was kinda short but I remember people saying the full game should've been more like that

Obi

Neo Member

The Borderlands Pre-Sequel Claptrap DLC was the best part of that game. It was actually funny. And it retroactively made the main game better by fixing a pretty shitty story resolution.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Mass Effect 3 DLC in general.

Omega has better and more challenging combat scenarios than the main game. Leviathan and Javik tell more interesting stories. And of course Citadel has humor, character, and sense of closure that was sorely missing. Not to mention all the multiplayer map packs which added to the longevity of the MP in a huge way.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The Witcher 3: Hearts of Stone was incredible and I really enjoyed the base game but it was just everything right about the series distilled into a single great DLC campaign.

Top Bottom