• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DLC's and expansions that are better than the base game?

Taruranto

0PYvCoL.jpg

Ushay

Witcher 3 - Both expansions felt a step up from the core game.
Borderlands 2 - Most of the DLC was amazing, added so much. Especially Dragon Keep.
Dishonored - Superb DLC
Dragon Age Inquisition - The final DLC, Trespasser did everything right the original didn't.

I hope Zelda BoTW has great DLC.

Crevox

Dragon Quest Heroes II if you count that. The game is a big step up, to the point that they changed the entire flow of the game.

psyfi

Banned
Halo 4's only had one good on disc map (Haven), but it had a few solid DLC maps. Skyline, Monolith, and Harvest (I think?) were all really fun. Still subpar for Halo, but good for Halo 4.

Two off the top of my head that I haven't seen posted:

250px-HordesOfTheUnderdarkBox.jpg

250px-Nwn2motbboxart.jpg

NWN 1 was a terrible singleplayer base game, but its first expansion, Shadows of Undrentide was pretty solid. Hordes of the Underdark was just stellar.

NWN 2 was a good game that had a LOT wrong with it. The base campaign was solidly okay with some shining parts. Mask of the Betrayer just blew the damn doors off.

MOTB might be the best example of the phenomena, everything that was wrong with NWN 2 OC was fixed in the expansion. one of the best storylines in any video game. Exhibit 1 that games can tell great stories.

LordOfChaos

Burial at Sea episode 2. Tie in to original Bioshock was great, and I thought the stealth gameplay was better than endless zones of shoot everything in the main Infinite story.

Weiss

Banned
Bloodborne is already fantastic but The Old Hunters is far and away the best part of the whole experience.

Citadel is the only good part about Mass Effect 3, minus Tuchanka anyway.

Two off the top of my head that I haven't seen posted:

250px-Nwn2motbboxart.jpg

NWN 1 was a terrible singleplayer base game, but its first expansion, Shadows of Undrentide was pretty solid. Hordes of the Underdark was just stellar.

NWN 2 was a good game that had a LOT wrong with it. The base campaign was solidly okay with some shining parts. Mask of the Betrayer just blew the damn doors off.

Mask of the Betrayer is also the best example for me. I enjoyed NWN 2 but it was nothing spectacular. MotB on the other hand is one of the best RPG's of all time.

Both of Witcher 3's expansions had characters and events that surpassed most of the main story.

Hearts of Stone had Olgierd, who was a fantastically complex character who became a favorite of mine.

Blood and Wine had fucking
REGIS
, as a book reader, I went crazy.

HeelPower

The Old Hunters is sooooooooo much better than base Bloodborne.

I am not sure about this.

Would I trade in the base game experience for just old hunters ? I personally wouldnt.

Its an amazing add-on ,but it doesnt trump the full BB experience for me.

nkarafo

I think i enjoyed the Deeper Dungeons expansion even more that the base Dungeon Keeper game which is one of my favorite games ever made.

y'know

Dishonored 2's PC performance disappointed me pretty greatly

but like if they announced a spinoff tomorrow, starring Daud as he travels across Tyvia trying to uncover the mysteries of the Outsider or some shit... I'd put the money down then and there

Total Annihilation: The Core Contingency.

Had enough content to be a sequel, to be honest. Added tons of new units which blew open tactics, as well as scores of new maps, planet types, etc.

Wanderer5

It was like 2 hours tops, but damn, Blood Ties DLC for Rise of the Tomb Raider was excellent. Some really cool puzzle solving and a great sense of exploration as you uncover the secrets in Croft Manor while also throwing in quite a few nice easter eggs as a celebration to the 20th anniversary of the series. It was so well done all the way.

New Vegas is a great game, but I'd take a standalone Old World Blues.

Such a great piece of pulp scifi, complete with Brains in Jars, Robot Dogs and Robo Scorpions.

Fallout 4's DLC's felt most improved over the main game to me.
Witcher 3 and Bloodborne had fantastic DLC's but the base game was so ridiculously good in both games that I can't say it was a massive improvement

Mephala

Shadowrun Dragonfall started as an expansion but turned into its own stand alone game that is is a dramatic improvement in so many ways to Shadowrun Returns. I believe they went back and touched up the interface and systems for SRR afterwards too.

I'll also say that the "Ultimate" or "G" editions of Monster Hunter 2/3/4 are probably overall better. It adds an extra layer of difficulty, sometimes a weapon class, new monsters and is generally some of the best content in the game.

I liked Battlefield: Bad Company 2: Vietnam more than the base game.

I've got mixed feelings on whether I not I prefer BFBC2 Vietnam to the base game. On one hand the setting is vastly cooler plus there haven't been many mp shooters set in Vietnam in general, especially recently. The licensed soundtrack was a nice touch and the sound design got even better somehow. Weapons felt great too with no attachments and I'm pretty sure the stupid perks were gone as well.

However it also had awful vehicle balance, I went plenty of games without ever dying in some of the ground vehicles because of the balance + chokepoints. Which brings me to my most damning point, the map design was garbage. I liked Phu Bai Valley and Operation Hastings but the 3 others were all worse than pretty much anything in the base game which is a shame. It's hard for me to say I prefer it when I only like 2 maps out of a $15 DLC.

That being said in terms of which game I crave more now, it's Vietnam but that's largely just due to its setting.

MCD250

Legacy for Dragon Age II.

It brought back the darkspawn from the first game in a big way, along with some big "oh shit" type revelations pertaining to the story and lore, which made it feel more like a proper sequel to the first game (and its expansion) rather than a spinoff. Plus, it had some actual environmental design and better thought out enemy encounters. It basically addressed a lot of the issues the game had on account of being thrown together in 18 months.

Opa-Pa

Shovel Knight was great, Plague of Shadows was mind blowing to me, and Specter of Torment (from the three stages I've played so far) seems somehow even better.

Yacht Club are ridiculous!

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
inFAMOUS First Light
Fetch is just all around much more fun to play as than Delsin.

The Evil Within: The Assignment/Consequence
I enjoyed the more stealth based DLC a lot more than the main gaim which had way too much combat for a survival game.

Final Fantasy XV Episode: Gladio
The combat was a big improvement over the main game. Counters are more comfortable, supers are intuitive and easy to use, and it does't feel like I'm just flailing around. Potions also only work when you're alive now.

Pretty much every modern Bioware title.

ME1
Bring Down the Sky was a refinement and improvement over the base game's UNC missions.

ME2
Lair of the Shadow Broker is just fantastic and takes everything that ME2 does well and does it even better. Overlord and Stolen Memory are also really good.

ME3
Citadel is simply one of the best DLCs ever made. It's hilarious and heartfelt; it greatly enhances any playthrough of the game. Leviathan was also strong.

DA2
Both Legacy and Mark of the Assassin are enormous improvements over the base game.

DA:I
Jaws of Hakkon, much like Bring Down the Sky, took the open zone design of the base game and refined and built upon it. The Descent has better dungeon design and combat encounters than the base game. Trespasser is essential. It gives the game an actual epilogue/fleshed out final act and does a great job of setting up a sequel.

I'll also make a quick mention for The Witcher 3. The base game was already phenomenal, but Hearts of Stone has even better writing/storytelling, and Blood and Wine even better open world design imo.

Cold Cold Heart for Arkham Origins. The base game is pretty great too in my opinion, but the DLC was a bit more cohesive and tightly paced. I honestly found Minerva's Den underwhelming, and that's coming from someone who considers Bioshock 2 the best in the series. Not awful, but disappointing compared to the high praise I'd heard. And regardless of what you may think of its plot, Burial at Sea Episode 2 had a more solid core gameplay loop than Bioshock Infinite.

Also Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon's Peak. The pacing is so much better than the main game, as much as I love Borderlands 2. The environments are still a bit too large, but they benefit from not trying to be as open world-y. Nothing against open world games, but I don't it's something that the Borderlands series has ever done well. And the writing perfectly balances silly and serious.

Griss

The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine.

It's better than the base game because it's smaller and better paced, and the focus is far more on Geralt as a Witcher rather than as a human tracker or a political pawn.

I thought Hearts of Stone was a mis-step, but everything about Blood and Wine was flawless, including that amazing map and phenomenal region of Toussaint.

Here's a list of some DLC's that are either better than the base game or crucial to the base game.

Grand Theft Auto IV: The Lost and the Damned
Grand Theft Auto IV: The Ballard of Gay Tony
Borderlands 2: Entire DLC catalogue. If you're a fan of the game these are required
Bioshock 2: Minerva s Den
Bioshock Infinite: Burial at Sea Part 1 and 2
Destiny: The Taken King (I'd say everything including rise of iron but TTK is the standout)
Mass Effect 3: Entire DLC catalogue (Maybe less so Omega but the other 3 are a must)
Mass Effect 2: Lair of the Shadow Broker & Overlord
inFAMOUS: First Light (Stand alone but way better than inFAMOUS Second Son)

There's plenty more but those stick out from games I've played

Top Bottom