• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DLC's and expansions that are better than the base game?

Pillars of Eternity: The White March

This is exactly what I thought of when I saw the title. Short of some way to tanky enemies this lead to awful combat encounters (I don't know how much of this was due to me choosing to go with increased difficulty that the game suggested to me) The White March was better than the base game. It does give me hope for Pillars 2 improving over the first.

Assassin's Creed 3: Tyranny of King Washington

This DLC gives you super powers and I think it's still the only time Assassin's Creed has ever done so. These powers remove the frustrating parts of AC3. It's balanced around the fact that these powers drain your (regenerating) health.

The great improvement happens in the 2nd episode where you get a flying power that works like the grappling hook in Batman Arkham games (a marker appears on rooftops, press button to fly where the marker is). Now you're flying around the city pretty quickly and it's a lot of fun!

The first episode gives you invisibility and the third episode gives you the ability to punch the ground which kills all guards next to you. These solve the problem of having 20 guards constantly in your face if you ever make any of them hostile, as you now have a chance to fight or escape - use the temporary invisibility to find a nearby bush.

Two off the top of my head that I haven't seen posted:

250px-HordesOfTheUnderdarkBox.jpg

250px-Nwn2motbboxart.jpg

NWN 1 was a terrible singleplayer base game, but its first expansion, Shadows of Undrentide was pretty solid. Hordes of the Underdark was just stellar.

NWN 2 was a good game that had a LOT wrong with it. The base campaign was solidly okay with some shining parts. Mask of the Betrayer just blew the damn doors off.

Dram

State of Decay: Lifeline DLC

You play as a military unit sent into a city overrun by zombies, in order to rescue V.I.Ps and civilians. You then return them to your base and have to fight off hordes of zombies, until the people you rescue are evacuated to safety by a helicopter.

Staf

Two off the top of my head that I haven't seen posted:

250px-HordesOfTheUnderdarkBox.jpg

250px-Nwn2motbboxart.jpg

NWN 1 was a terrible singleplayer base game, but its first expansion, Shadows of Undrentide was pretty solid. Hordes of the Underdark was just stellar.

NWN 2 was a good game that had a LOT wrong with it. The base campaign was solidly okay with some shining parts. Mask of the Betrayer just blew the damn doors off.

Those are really good. I remember being totally in awe by the siege on the city section. MotB is freaking amazing.

The Old Hunters. I loved Bloodborne but in terms of level design (gameplaywise) it wasn't as good as Dark Souls in my opinion. The DLC had clever designed areas though and the best boss fights.

Cartho

Hearts of Stone. Blood and Wine too really. The Witcher 3 + DLC is one of the best story based games I've ever played. Right up there for me in my "top 5 GOAT".

Ashilyn

Fallout New Vegas' DLC was miles ahead of the actual game, which was already a good game. Old World Blues in particular should be some sort of national treasure or something, but Lonesome Road and Dead Money were also phenomenal, and Honest Hearts was a ton of fun. They also had their own unique narrative building through them that was very fun to explore, even if parts of it are salvaged from stuff that was cut from the original game.

Most of the Soulsborne DLC is the best content in their respective games, even if the base games were incredible.

Shows how good stuff like The Old Hunters is when it outclasses what is already a 10/10.

heklu

Neo Member
Witcher 3: Hearts of Stones
Witcher 3: Blood and Wine
Bioshock Infinite: Burial at Sea
Bioshock Infinite: Burial at Sea EP. 2

Command & Conquer Tiberian Sun: Firestorm
Command & Conquer Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge
Dead Space 3: Awakened
Outlast: Whistleblower
Batman: Arkham Origins: Cold, Cold Heart
Batman: Arkham Knight: A Matter Of Family
FarCry 4: Valley Of The Yetis
Watch_Dogs: Bad Blood
Bioshock 2: Minerva's Den
Quake: Scourge Of Armagon
Quake: Dissolution Of Eternity
TIE Fighter: Defender Of The Empire
TIE Fighter: Enemies Of the Empire

I'm both amazed and sad that nobody has mentioned the Throne of Bhaal yet for Baldur's Gate II.
I loved that game.

The thread is titled "DLC's and expansions that are better than the base game?"

Emphasis mine. Since there IS nothing better than Baldur's Gate 2, obviously we're not going to mention ToB. Also ToB isn't that great, it just wraps up the story pretty well. Poor villain(s), not great encounter design, footsoldiers wielding +4 longswords, Aerie is in it, etc.

The latest Thief's Bank Heist DLC mission was my favorite part about that game, it's pretty much the only thing in that game that remotely feels like an old Thief game.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Diablo 3 is a pretty easy example. Vanilla was a pretty fucking shit game, and Reaper of Souls turned into something that, while not hitting the greatness of the previous entries, is at least a good game in its own right.

FHIZ

Minerva's Den: The Thread

Okay... so I've been wondering something. I bounced off of BioShock 2 early, then played through it finally with the remaster collection and eventually got to Minerva's Den, full well knowing the reputation it held.

I played through it... and I don't get it. It's alright, I guess. Can anyone tell me why it is held in such high regard?

KJRS_1993

The thread is titled "DLC's and expansions that are better than the base game?"

Emphasis mine. Since there IS nothing better than Baldur's Gate 2, obviously we're not going to mention ToB. Also ToB isn't that great, it just wraps up the story pretty well. Poor villain(s), not great encounter design, footsoldiers wielding +4 longswords, Aerie is in it, etc.

It was that wrapping up of the story and additional dialogue and interactions with the characters that made me enjoy it so much. If I remember correctly (which I probably don't!), didn't ToB add a bunch of new goodies into the base game also?

Different strokes for different folks. I thought it was brilliant.

Top Bottom