• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei 4 announced for 3DS (Teaser site live)

Sophia

Gotta say i'd like to see Persona 5 looking like Catherine though.

Yeah, Persona's the only exception I'd say to my statement. But only because of the unique visual style.

really surprised it's not for consoles

well as long as it doesn't require 3D I'll be happy (I can't really see the 3D effect and it gives me a headache almost instantly)

more RPGs for my 3DS

No game on the 3DS requires 3D. Hell, I can't see 3D Period and I have the system slider off all the time. Hasn't affected my enjoyment of it.

Andrefpvs

Of course, that means that the odds of a European release are similarly high, right? RIGHT?

(Actually, I would suppose that Ghostlight localising Devil Survivor is at least a promising sign.)

I'd say the odds are pretty high for an European release, but unfortunately I'd guess that we'd have to wait quite a bit after the US release. Region-locks hell yeah.

Yeah, it did seem odd that that's when P3/4 came out, but it was a pretty good time, if you think about it. No AAA behemoths to block out the sun, and we got some really long games to fill up time with as the releases thinned out. It's a pretty smart move for saving costs and maximizing profits when you're dealing with a franchise that's not hyped as top-tier.

Not to mention the fucking INSANE PS2 install base to maximise sales with.

TreIII

Day 1. I, too, would've preferred it on the HD trio, but I'll take what I can get. Especially since I thought Atlus was fine with focusing on Persona for the next few years.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
WHAT

WHAT

WHAT

HOLY FUCK

3DS BEST NEXT GEN SYSTEM CONFIRMED.

Seriously, I'm mad excited. SMT4 can only be an awesome thing. As long as it's genuinely a successor to Nocturne and not some pansy-ass knock-off. I'm also glad the 3DS is powerful enough to have decent graphics and a soundtrack that doesn't sound like garbage. If it was on the regular DS, I would've been annoyed.

And now you bitches can stop pretending Strange Journey is SMT4.

Teknoman

really surprised it's not for consoles

well as long as it doesn't require 3D I'll be happy (I can't really see the 3D effect and it gives me a headache almost instantly)

more RPGs for my 3DS

It probably wont, but i'll look that much better in 3D i'm sure. A brand new Meguro soundtrack + a remixed one is also something to look forward to...as long as he falls back to his normal style for SMT IV.

Bebpo

Banned
Day 1. I, too, would've preferred it on the HD trio, but I'll take what I can get. Especially since I thought Atlus was fine with focusing on Persona for the next few years.

Strange Journey
Devil Survivor
Devil Survivor 2?

Persona is definitely their big focus, but they're still keeping the SMT alive and prospering with their 2ndary teams.

Well, Ghostlight (UK based publisher) picked up Devil Survivor Overclocked and Devil Survivor 2. Both of them will release this year in Europe.

So if we're lucky we'll be back into the pattern of getting them 6-8 months after the US release like the PS2 games. Oh boy. Lie back and think of Xenoblade.

Maybe this one will go back to the traditional dungeon layout and design a la SJ - I think that the 3DS is a perfect fit for this! I can't wait to see the characters and fiction of this one.

4th game in a series is typically, consistently good. I've got that feeling about this :)

Bebpo

Banned
Considering SMT is a franchise where they do things like play with camera angles to hide a lack of character animation, it's not entirely unexpected. The only surprise for me is that they didn't go ahead and call Strange Journey SMT4 to support that game's sales. Especially with the franchise going portable anyway.

Because it would lessen the quality of the SMT name. SJ was much more of a spinoff title like ...If than a main numbered SMT. It's been debated pretty lengthy in various SJ threads, but SJ was not SMT4. It may have started out with the intention of being SMT4, but by the end it became a spinoff game.

The Boat

Hot damn! Hope it comes out here. To be honest the only SMT I played was P3, need to get started with P4. Also have Nocturne and both Raidoh but never even touched them.
EDIT: Oh and Digital Devil Saga.

Ponn

Banned
No game on the 3DS requires 3D. Hell, I can't see 3D Period and I have the system slider off all the time. Hasn't affected my enjoyment of it.

Exact same boat here because of cornea degeneration in my right eye. I've yet to run into a 3DS game that I had a problem with because I have to play with 3D off. Especially Devil Survivor Overclocked, I really don't even think that game had any 3D in it from what I could tell.

Teknoman

Considering SMT is a franchise where they do things like play with camera angles to hide a lack of character animation, it's not entirely unexpected. The only surprise for me is that they didn't go ahead and call Strange Journey SMT4 to support that game's sales. Especially with the franchise going portable anyway.

Probably was too experimental to be IV. Multicultural cast, takes place in Antarctica/Schwarzwelt, Meguro tackling a new style of music.

I will say i'd like to see them return to this style for the main characters:

aleph.jpg

Man...Aeana and CJ convinced me to go ahead and get into SMT I&II so better get started lol. Got alot to finish before IV, Soul Hackers, and P4G hit.

Sophia

Because it would lessen the quality of the SMT name. SJ was much more of a spinoff title like ...If than a main numbered SMT. It's been debated pretty lengthy in various SJ threads, but SJ was not SMT4. It may have started out with the intention of being SMT4, but by the end it became a spinoff game.

Strange Journey was pretty much an Devil Summoner (early ones, not the Raidou ones) game in a way. It shares a lot of the same mechanics.

Fuck this. I knew this would happen once Persona became popular :(. Part of me knew when they announce a SMT4 it will be on handhelds and Persona 5 will be main console release. The 1% of my soul still had hopes though, but whatever, I guess I'll be picking up a 3DS for sure now that Soul Hacker and SMT4 is coming to it.

I just feel like a full fledged SMT game would benefit more on consoles than Persona would, but maybe that's just me. Oh well, least I can finally stop being salty when people ask for Persona 5 to be announced before they even make a SMT4.

Eusis

Does this bode well for Wii U getting P5?
Bodes well for 3DS getting P5 maybe.
I just feel like a full fledged SMT game would benefit more on consoles than Persona would, but maybe that's just me. Oh well, least I can finally stop being salty when people ask for Persona 5 to be announced before they even make a SMT4.
Given their ambitions for SMT:N bits (like being able to see a war on the other hand of the Vortex World) you may be right, but the 3DS allows at LEAST an equivalent to SMT:N, if not exceeding due to a better grasp on full 3D development that SMT:N helped kick off in the first place.

That seems like a waste of money, unless you're fluent in reading Japanese (in which case, you'd probably already own a 3DS)

Every MegaTen game as of recent has come over. :\

Every SMT game/spinoff I've played was in Japanese, so I'm good. I don't already have a 3DS because there hasn't been a compelling case to buy one until now.

Eusis

Nope
Persona 5 will be on home consoles
Now that I think about it, that was confirmed wasn't it?

... Though I'd still wait to see the news pop up, just on the off chance they shifted somewhere along the line.
I think it's possible that Persona was replaced by Soul Hackers.
I think they just wanted to check off their major series. Frankly, I'm amazed we're seeing them (with Persona swapped for Soul Hackers) coming this quickly rather than just being an empty promise coincidentally fulfilled a few years later like Persona 1 on PSP, or at least not kept on the back burner for forever.

PowderedToast

yup, it was a creative decision and they stuck with it (despite what the SMT4 name might've done for sales). atlus jp are pretty sincere in that way.

5FWCO.jpg

oh so they really went on to check the games on this list :)

persona for next year?

What could the mystery Persona title be? A remake of Persona 1 that mimics the style of P3 or P4? Persona kid friendly Pokemon type game? 3DS is getting pretty hype - I hope these make it to NA.

More SMT is always good in my book. So much for my theory that SMT4 would use Persona 5's engine and assets. Though it's a shame that the 3DS isn't more graphically capable.

Top Bottom