• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei 4 announced for 3DS (Teaser site live)

Bebpo

Banned
The only thing I wonder about this is if announcing SMT4 kills any chance of them announcing Persona 5 in the summer/fall as they don't want the hype from one to overshadow the other. P5 always seemed like a spring/summer 2013 game, so maybe SMT4 is October/November 2012 and they'll announce P5 in Jan.

Now that I think about it, that was confirmed wasn't it?

... Though I'd still wait to see the news pop up, just on the off chance they shifted somewhere along the line.

Persona 5 is like their biggest jewel in the crown at the moment, it'll definitely get the home console treatment - will probably get a Vita version as well (but not simultaneous) while 3DS gets more SMT/Devil survivor games
Kinda like what we saw with PS2/PSP and DS - it seems like a profitable cycle for Atlus

Midou

While this is awesome, a console game is so insanely over-do. If there is still no P5 or even a new SMT sub-series for consoles at TGS, I will be moderately upset.

Given their ambitions for SMT:N bits (like being able to see a war on the other hand of the Vortex World) you may be right, but the 3DS allows at LEAST an equivalent to SMT:N, if not exceeding due to a better grasp on full 3D development that SMT:N helped kick off in the first place.
That's true. Well, I'm looking forward to hearing more about the game and seeing how big of an improvement it is.

Teknoman

Me too. Just wish it wasn't the 3D screen.

But regarding the actual news: YES. AWESOME.

It doesnt seem like it will be for Soul Hackers, so it better not be for IV. I need some 3D battle screens.

What's wrong with it being on the 3D screen?

Why would you want stats on the main 3DS screen? Thats where the action should be UNLESS, it totally depends on the touch screen, and even then i'm sure you could work something out.

Boney

Banned
So not really knowing much about the SMT as a whole, what things could be done on the HD systems that wouldn't be possible on the 3DS, or rather, theoretically, how does a 3DS release affect the structure of the games.

TreIII

Strange Journey
Devil Survivor
Devil Survivor 2?

Persona is definitely their big focus, but they're still keeping the SMT alive and prospering with their 2ndary teams.

Strange Journey I'll give you, but I was convinced that the low sales of that game would've done more to kill the desire of Atlus to continue"classic Megaten" for good. Glad I'm proven wrong.

And I'll admit I never paid attention to the Survivor series. Should I wait for 2 to get an "Overclocked" edition, as well, or am I safe? 8D

Eusis

What could the mystery Persona title be? A remake of Persona 1 that mimics the style of P3 or P4? Persona kid friendly Pokemon type game? 3DS is getting pretty hype - I hope these make it to NA.
It's probably like my suspicion that they just listed a bunch of their popular stuff at the time. If they were seriously considering all of those at the time then it's likely Persona could've been more of a "what game is best to port?" situation before they realized Soul Hackers was more appealing than either of the first three Persona games. Although a Persona 2 compilation on 3DS would be neat.
More SMT is always good in my book. So much for my theory that SMT4 would use Persona 5's engine and assets. Though it's a shame that the 3DS isn't more graphically capable.
Well, the 3DS is graphically capable ENOUGH that I wonder if they could use the same engine anyway and just made it very scaleable. Though they could also just be using either EO4's or the PS2 MegaTen engine.
Persona 5 is like their biggest jewel in the crown at the moment, it'll definitely get the home console treatment - will probably get a Vita version as well (but not simultaneous) while 3DS gets more SMT/Devil survivor games
Kinda like what we saw with PS2/PSP and DS - it seems like a profitable cycle for Atlus
Well, that logic makes sense with western development, but for Japan we've seen stuff like mainline DQ getting its 9th installment on handhelds, so I don't think they share the views on a whole for blatant console superiority. But then I guess Persona is more of their international hit, and could consider being on consoles more important there than for SMT4 with it's smaller-but-dedicated niche.

NichM

Banned
So not really knowing much about the SMT as a whole, what things could be done on the HD systems that wouldn't be possible on the 3DS, or rather, theoretically, how does a 3DS release affect the structure of the games.

SMTIV: Better With Kinect

Bebpo

Banned

Bigger environments, SMT games have extremely impressive art design and a bigger scope to the areas would be a postive.

Otherwise, just nice cell-shaded HD graphics. Nothing that really effects the experience other than looking nicer.

3DS should be fine.

So not really knowing much about the SMT as a whole, what things could be done on the HD systems that wouldn't be possible on the 3DS?

Me either, I don't know.

I'm guessing just graphics, spectacle, and maybe full VO in high quality. Things like DLC or an online component could be done on 3DS right? Achievements and Trophies are on 3DS too right?

Personally, from what I've seen, 3DS is a perfect fit for SMT. I agree with reasons others have posted in here too.

I wonder if this is going to be an old school dungeon crawl. I'm not a huge fan of the genre but I've liked the older SMT games. I'm wondering if they'd want to go the SMT3 route on the 3DS though. Hm.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Very, very nice. Looking forward to the first screens. Being on the 3DS, I guess it will be a first person game.
Very, very excited for this one. :)

Exponentially increasing budgets comprising the design of the game for mainstream sales and the closure of Atlus when sales aren't met.

But hey, it would have more pixels and shaders and lights, so, it evens out?

SMTIV: Better With Kinect
Kinect would make more sense for Persona 5. Per-so-na!
Well, the 3DS is graphically capable ENOUGH that I wonder if they could use the same engine anyway and just made it very scaleable. Though they could also just be using either EO4's or the PS2 MegaTen engine.
I really don't think Atlus is capable of doing something like that effectively.

That doesn't make any sense. The point of the mainline Megaten games is a lot like the Street Fighter franchise. They do all the work for the tough assests (the huge assortment of monsters) and then copy and paste them into other games. This is what Atlus did with the PS2 megaten games.

RickA238

I had no intention of buying a 3DS before reading this. Now I will buy one.

Probably my favorite RPG series ever. Nocturne is amazing, so is SMT1.

Aeana

Please dont be a 1st person dungeon crawler. As long as its not that, ill get it
SMT3 was a first-person dungeon crawler with a 3rd person view! Dungeons were all designed really similarly to the older games. It was made more apparent by the first-person option you get in a new cycle.

I'm cool with whatever perspective as long as the dungeon design carries on in a similar style.

Bebpo

Banned
I would be surprised if it wasn't 3rd person since it should be an evolution of SMT3.

That doesn't make any sense. The point of the mainline Megaten games is a lot like the Street Fighter franchise. They do all the work for the tough assests (the huge assortment of monsters) and then copy and paste them into other games. This is what Atlus did with the PS2 megaten games.

And now they'll have two sets giving them options to do console & handheld megaten games with less work.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
Please dont be a 1st person dungeon crawler. As long as its not that, ill get it

You're in the wrong neighbourhood, sir.

With this and Soul Hackers 3DS, I'll be importing a 3DS eventually.

With the 3DS they can keep using all those assests though. Unless they go 2d like SJ, I don't see them doing anything else. Doesn't make sense to redo the entire demon roster when they would come out looking similar anyway.

Top Bottom