• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei 4 announced for 3DS (Teaser site live)

duckroll

In Japan? Not really.

I think it really depends on the brand. There is no sure thing that every single brand would sell better on a system with a higher installed base. Persona is a very anime otaku sort of brand, with higher expectations in terms of how it is pandered towards them. Atlus has to manage those expectations.

Shout at your demons

Negotiate by talking

"Xbro, BLHASSDSHGHGF"

Cast magic and summon demons with the power of your voice

"Megido... laon... how the fuck do you pronounce this shit? Hell with it, I'll just summon Tez... Tezcatli... po... fuck"

:lol I'm dying here.

tezcatlipofuck is the name of my aztec grunge band. we do a lot of megaten covers come check us out

Only if you do the dorm room theme from Persona 3.

Bebpo

Banned
Not a fan of first person RPG's, too that's why I skipped strange journey will be skipping SMT 4 if it is first person.

Like Aeana said though, SMT3 is a 3rd person view of a 1st person dungeon crawler.

I think it'll be 3rd person, and I want 3rd person simply because I like having a 360 view of the environments, which being a mainline SMT, should be pretty freaking awesome. But if it's 1st person, it won't make a huge difference.

Grakl

Never played this before and I have no idea what the series is about. Guess I'll get it, considering the reception.

Why? I doubt it would sell more in PS3 than in 3DS.

I think that it will sell very well on PS3/360 at full price plus DLC. Also, the install base is pretty large.

People want P5 to be more than a 3DS game - the ambition factor is stuff of dreams! Fully voiced, Catherine graphics, HD version of Thor's crotch, online component, revised combat system, etc.

P5 should stand shoulder to shoulder to FF and Tales. Atlus, your time is nigh.

Bebpo

Banned
All I hope is that the story scope is epic as a proper mainline SMT should be. I want lots of characters, many paths to go down, so in the end you feel like the story is your own choice.

im-ok-with-this.png

Totally happy I own a 3DS. Wonder is Atlus USA will announce localization plans for both this and Soul Hackers at E3. They did the same thing last year with Devil Survivor 2.

I think that it will sell very well on PS3/360 at full price plus DLC. Also, the install base is pretty large.

People want P5 to be more than a 3DS game - the ambition factor is stuff of dreams! Fully voiced, Catherine graphics, HD version of Thor's crotch, online component, revised combat system, etc.

....What?

How has been the 3D effect for the dungeon games on the 3DS so far? Good or weak?
I think only one has come out so far and only in Japan (Unchained Blades, which is coming out here soon).

It's been something I've wanted since I heard about a 3D DS though.

duckroll

Compared to SJ? That's a lot.

SJ also had like 5 characters! The main difference was the size and scope of the world. I think if SMT4 has an area select menu and just a few huge dungeons, it'll end up feeling a lot like SJ anyway. The world map and the scope of the journey in SMT2 and SMT3 is what made them feel really large scale. SMT1 feels kinda like Persona 1. SJ feels like If.

stupei

What's wrong with it being on the 3D screen?

It's not a deal breaker but it'd be nice to have SMT 4 utilize all the features available on the 3DS and I'd really rather battle animations in 3D. Stats floating in three dimensions would probably just be really annoying, so.

It doesnt seem like it will be for Soul Hackers, so it better not be for IV. I need some 3D battle screens.

I didn't know that! (Soul Hackers feels like a really long ways away for NA, so I hadn't really looked into it much yet.) Great to hear and hopefully you're right.

edit: Oh, sorry to make assumptions about eventual NA release of titles not yet announced, Nich.

But come on. ;)

Salsa

Man remember DQ9, that was awesome. This whole thing makes me think of it.

I wish DQ10 didnt exist and they could just announce the next numbered game to be on the 3DS as well.

Bebpo

Banned
SJ also had like 5 characters! The main difference was the size and scope of the world. I think if SMT4 has an area select menu and just a few huge dungeons, it'll end up feeling a lot like SJ anyway. The world map and the scope of the journey in SMT2 and SMT3 is what made them feel really large scale. SMT1 feels kinda like Persona 1. SJ feels like If.

SJ had crazy girl, crazy guy, CAPTAIN in terms of major characters your interacted with and story choices. It was very black and white. LAW/NEUTRAL/CHAOS. There was not much depth to the plot.

SMT3 actually had about 5 interesting characters, all with their own paths. Teacher, Reporter, Girlfriend, Guyfriend, Swag Dude. It was a much bigger scope, more interesting grey area paths (not black&white), and story had some good twists and was very interesting. I want SMT4 to be like that.

7Th

This post depresses me.

SJ had crazy girl, crazy guy, CAPTAIN in terms of major characters your interacted with and story choices. It was very black and white. LAW/NEUTRAL/CHAOS. There was not much depth to the plot.

SMT3 actually had about 5 interesting characters, all with their own paths. Teacher, Reporter, Girlfriend, Guyfriend, Swag Dude. It was a much bigger scope, more interesting grey area paths (not black&white), and story had some good twists and was very interesting. I want SMT4 to be like that.

Nah, SMT3 was very black and white. No route other than Neutral and True Demon made any kind of logical sense.

duckroll

But Devil Survivor games have them both beat in terms of characters, meaningful paths, and interesting twists! :)

duckroll

I really feel that a world map is a bigger deal in terms of presentation than most people think, with regards to a numbered SMT. There's a clear evolution, and SMT4 should follow suit to meet expectations.

SMT1:
i0m0Z.png

SMT2:
csj1h.png

SMT3:
1qB2c.jpg

Top Bottom