• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

21:9 Gaming Thread | That cinematic feel

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member
So my HP Omen X35 will be here on Tuesday and I only have a GTX 970. How screwed am I? It was more than fine for my current 1080p screen, but I guess I'm gonna need a GTX 1080 minimum if I want to play current games at higher settings and 60-100 FPS?

paskowitz

Yeah a 970 is going to struggle. You can get by with a 1070 for pre 2016 games but stuff like the division is going to murder you. Honestly, I'd pony up for a 1080 Ti unless you can find a cheap used 1080.

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member
While a 1080 Ti would be sweet, I don't feel comfortable paying 800+€ for a graphics card. New 1080s go for around 550€ here, that would be more manageable. I'll have to look into used prices, but I guess now would be a good time due to people upgrading to a 1080 Ti. From what I've read, the 11xx series probably won't be out this year, so waiting is not really an option. Decisions, decisions...

bachikarn

We're going to need a new thread. Samsung will be bringing some mega widescreens soon - 32:9 son - 3840x1080 DFHD ("double full HD"):

http://www.pcgamer.com/samsung-to-produce-ridiculously-huge-double-wide-display-panels/

ekl8yON.jpg

This is basically just two 16:9's put together. Wonder how that compares to just duel monitoring two 16:9's.

Part of me feels that is too wide and 21:9 is a good sweet spot.

Nzyme32

This is basically just two 16:9's put together. Wonder how that compares to just duel monitoring two 16:9's.

Part of me feels that is too wide and 21:9 is a good sweet spot.

This is very easily far superior to two 16:9's. No bezel in the middle of your view forcing you to offset them. Curvature that is suitable to make the monitor extremely usable. 27" if you were to measure a single 16:9 in that format.

21:9 or rather 64:27 is certainly a "sweet spot" for many games, but going beyond that, for all manner of application usage, multiwindow etc, it's entirely worth while for those. Also if you are happy enough with 27" 16:9, and it's extension to 21:9 and other aspect ratio's it still works out well. Just a matter of if you really have use for the massive width. Probably not so useful for gaming outside those that love eyefinity type setups.

Zabojnik

The Omen X 35 has been out in the wild for a while now, but I've yet to see proper in-depth reviews from the usual suspects & tech YouTubers. Soft launch? HP not feeling confident sending out review samples?

I was set on getting it, but then I changed my mind and went with a 'temporary' 16:9 27" 1440p IPS monitor, which should still be a pretty decent upgrade over my shitty 24" 1080p TN screen. With HDR around the corner (well, not really, I'd say we're at least 12-18 months away from it getting proper enthusiast traction, twice that for mainstream), the issues with g-sync flickering and dat price, I simply couldn't justify the purchase. Wasn't an easy decision and I definitely plan on switching to ultrawide in the near-ish future. Wait for meee!

Drain You

32:9 Is kind of hilarious looking and amazing. I absolutely love and want it. Just general use on that would be amazing for multitasking. As I type from my 3:2 Surface Pro 3. One day :(

petran79

Banned
Dust an Elysian Tail may had met mixed reviews, but kudos to the developers for implementing ultra wide screen support from the start.

While Ori and the Blind Forest implemented this later in the Definitive Edition

20170423021333_1biogj.jpg

Baleoce

lol 32:9 looks pretty sick for productivity. I'm still looking to get onto ultrawide at some point in the near future though.

Zabojnik

What is the best ultra-wide that has g-sync that is currently on the market?

Given the tepid reactions to the Omen X 35 and AOC's counterpart, probably still the Asus PG348Q and / or Acer X34A.

Question: how bad / acceptable is 2560x1080 on a 34" ultrawide?

Brakara

Question: how bad / acceptable is 2560x1080 on a 34" ultrawide?

Personally, going from a 1920x1080 24" to a 35" 2560x1080, I find it very acceptable. And I love the extra screen estate (which is why I bought it). But, obviously, if you have the GPU (and money), a higher resolution is of course preferable.

Zabojnik

Personally, going from a 1920x1080 24" to a 35" 2560x1080, I find it very acceptable. And I love the extra screen estate (which is why I bought it). But, obviously, if you have the GPU (and money), a higher resolution is of course preferable.
That's exactly the jump I'd be making as well. I have both the money and a 1080 GTX, it's just that it seems to be an awkward time to be buying an expensive monitor, with HDR and high refresh rate ultrawides on the horizon. Well, more like somewhere beyond the horizon, but still close enough that I'm unsure what to do.

Do I ...

- buy a 500€ ultrawide with lower res (but with 144hz and a curve, which are nice trade-offs) like the LG 34UC79G and then upgrade to a high-res g-sync HDR UW next year ...

- purchase a 700-800€ 75hz 3440x1440 screen, keep it for 2-3 years, until HDR HRR monitors are more common, hopefully somewhat cheaper and the HDR tech mature ...

- get a 1000-1200€ 100hz g-sync UW and ride it out, keep it for ~5 years, as I usually do with monitors.

I was almost set on buying the Omen, but the meh-ish reviews have completely deflated whatever hype I had. For 1300€ I expect a damn near perfect monitor.

Decisions, decisions.

PFD

Given the tepid reactions to the Omen X 35 and AOC's counterpart, probably still the Asus PG348Q and / or Acer X34A.

There is also the just-announced Acer Z35P. It's a VA panel with 3440x1440 resolution, and can be overclocked via OSD to 120Hz

SliChillax

32:9 Is kind of hilarious looking and amazing. I absolutely love and want it. Just general use on that would be amazing for multitasking. As I type from my 3:2 Surface Pro 3. One day :(
Can anyone take a screenshot of a game running at 32:9? Using a custom resolution or I something similar? I would do it but I'm on vacation atm

Tecnniqe

Banned
Got first 21:9 to go with my TI.

Picked the AOC 35".

I put its overdrive to medium and did some minor calibrations and holy fuck, it's so great.

1440p in itself is a huge step up in fidelity from 1080p and gsync makes it so much better. Played some GTA V and Dawn of War III with it and they all look fantastic and crisp with this screen and resolution.

People didn't lie when they said once you go UW you never go back 👌Adds a lot to the experience.

Would be nice to have a new OP. Just because the current one isn't updated anymore and I think it'd be nice to keep an ongoing list of ultrawide monitors out there. Especially for folks looking for gsync\freesync variants.

Currently looking to see what the current 100hz gsync variants are going for. I guess I'll have to not be lazy and google it :p

s-bojan

Banned
I'm using r9 290 with benq xl2411z.
I've planned to get a wide screen monitor (will be using it for Visual Studio and gaming), but it's not possible to return monitors in my country, which means that panel lottery models are out of the question.
Any opinions on 29UM68-P (I can get it real cheap compare to other models)?
Is 34UM68-P too large for 1080p resolution?

Starviper

Went ahead and splurged on a Acer Predator Z34A. Managed to get a deal down to 996$ without tax on Amazon!

Looking forward to replacing my two current monitors. I have a 24" 144hz Acer and an older monitor i'll likely end up selling, hoping to make ~300$ back.

Zabojnik

LG 34" Curved Ultrawide FreeSync Monitor 34UC88-B @75hz on MassDrop for $650.

Went ahead and splurged on a Acer Predator Z34A. Managed to get a deal down to 996$ without tax on Amazon!

Looking forward to replacing my two current monitors. I have a 24" 144hz Acer and an older monitor i'll likely end up selling, hoping to make ~300$ back.

Must be a prototype or something.
:p
Congrats m8.

Oxn

Let's see.

35", 3440x1440, Quantum Dot, HDR, 200mhz, gsync....

I'm thinking more like $1800-$2000.

I think at some point they will start dropping the prices on these. They cant just keep stacking it higher and higher.

also not sure they will release 2, $2000 monitors back to back with the 4k hdr, gsync monitor they got coming in the summer

Paragon

Is this a good time to buy an x34 with these announcements? I see microcenter has one at $999
It's not like the new monitors suddenly make the old ones worse - they're still very nice displays.
I would expect the price for these new HDR versions to be quite a bit higher than the current displays, but we don't have any information on that yet.
Only you can decide whether it's worth waiting for the pricing and release date for these new monitors, or if you want to buy an X34 now.

It's not like the new monitors suddenly make the old ones worse - they're still very nice displays.
I would expect the price for these new HDR versions to be quite a bit higher than the current displays, but we don't have any information on that yet.
Only you can decide whether it's worth waiting for the pricing and release date for these new monitors, or if you want to buy an X34 now.

My thing is I'm running a 1070 and won't upgrade any time soon so I don't think I can even really drive those new monitors

Paragon

My thing is I'm running a 1070 and won't upgrade any time soon so I don't think I can even really drive those new monitors
They're still 3440x1440, they just have the ability to go to 200Hz now instead of 100Hz.
I'm happy with how my 1070 handles 3440x1440 in most games for what it's worth.

Pjsprojects

I'm using r9 290 with benq xl2411z.
I've planned to get a wide screen monitor (will be using it for Visual Studio and gaming), but it's not possible to return monitors in my country, which means that panel lottery models are out of the question.
Any opinions on 29UM68-P (I can get it real cheap compare to other models)?
Is 34UM68-P too large for 1080p resolution?

The LG 29UM68-P is a Freesync monitor that does 5ms & 60/75hz and has had some very good reviews.
Sure it's not up with the very expensive jobbies but for the price is a nice upgrade.

Top Bottom