• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

21:9 Gaming Thread | That cinematic feel

Paragon

No G-Sync kills it
It apparently support FreeSync 2, though I haven't seen what the range is.
My concern would be the low pixel density. It's only 85 pixels per inch.
That's fine for gaming, but a bit too low for a monitor in my opinion.

I can't help but feeling that it could be too wide, since 24:10 already extends out to my peripheral vision, but lots of people use dual-monitor setups I guess.
I suppose having to push it back might offset the lower pixel density a bit.

Blitzhex

heres-a-look-from-a-different-angle.jpg

and-heres-what-it-looks-like-on-the-329-chg90-monitor.jpg

I need this in my life. Kinda disappointed at the 1080 vertical tho.

I preordered one of these for the office. Boss okayed it cause he kinda wants one too. Hyped. I'd convinced our new standard monitor to be the 34" Dell so this is the next step.

I have the Dell U3415W at work (also one at home).

I'd totally consider that Samsung for home but the 49" would not work for me at work because I use my 15" laptop screen as well. It's a Lenovo at high resolution so it's great. I guess I could not use it but I've always been weird about using only an external. I work in IT and like to separate my Dell, that has all the consoles, from my laptop, which has email and web and other immediate shit.

Pjsprojects

I was thinking about pulling the trigger on this...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-29-i...-monitor/5770301.p?id=bb5770301&skuId=5770301

...anyone have any experience with it and gaming?

I picked one up a couple of weeks ago and am very impressed with it. Very vivid colours and the ability to split it either two or four ways is fantastic for video editing. I run mine at the 75hz setting and have never seen any ghosting or such like from screen updates.
My only minor gripe would be the built in speakers being a bit tame. However does anyone even bother using built in speakers these days lol.

I picked one up a couple of weeks ago and am very impressed with it. Very vivid colours and the ability to split it either two or four ways is fantastic for video editing. I run mine at the 75hz setting and have never seen any ghosting or such like from screen updates.
My only minor gripe would be the built in speakers being a bit tame. However does anyone even bother using built in speakers these days lol.

I ended up getting it and feel pretty good about it overall but I cannot get the speakers to work at all. I'm using HDMI and Nvidia audio while knowing my way around the Windows 10 audio settings and still nothing but I don't really care either since I'll be using a headset for for my two most played games (The Division and Destiny 2).

Pjsprojects

I ended up getting it and feel pretty good about it overall but I cannot get the speakers to work at all. I'm using HDMI and Nvidia audio while knowing my way around the Windows 10 audio settings and still nothing but I don't really care either since I'll be using a headset for for my two most played games (The Division and Destiny 2).

Odd,I just plugged in a HDMI and sound woks fine,however I switched to display port for Freesync to work.
As for the games your on to a win,I play the same sort of games on pc and have played Division since day one. Looks fantastic on 21:9 along with Wildlands.

Yeah, I'm going to investigate further (re-install latest NVIDIA drivers, use HDMI cable that came with monitor, etc) as it does bother me a bit but I do have other audio options.

Beautiful picture, increased viewing space, and low response time are great characteristics of this monitor.

Can I get some thoughts on this monitor guys: https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824025340

I'm completely new to Ultrawide monitors, is it worth it with a i5 6600K and GTX 1060? Is there a fit to screen option for when I use my ps4 or something?
Never do a 25 inch ultrawide. Their height is absolutely tiny. Newegg has open box 29 inch ones for $220-$250 or so, go with those.

You can stretch your PS4 image (it's not terrible necessarily) or do native res with black bars on the side. Your 1060 should easily be able to get 60 FPS at 2560 x 1080p on nearly any game maxed out.

Sciz

Can I get some thoughts on this monitor guys: https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824025340

I'm completely new to Ultrawide monitors, is it worth it with a i5 6600K and GTX 1060? Is there a fit to screen option for when I use my ps4 or something?

I've got an older version of that model. It's a nice enough entry level ultrawide if you're not looking for size or any of the modern bells and whistles on higher end monitors, and my 6600k/GTX970 duo drives it (at its cap of 60 fps) just fine.

Odd,I just plugged in a HDMI and sound woks fine,however I switched to display port for Freesync to work.
As for the games your on to a win,I play the same sort of games on pc and have played Division since day one. Looks fantastic on 21:9 along with Wildlands.

OK this is weird, I'm getting mixed reports (https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidemasterrace/comments/6bst9m/no_sound_lg_29um60p/) whether or not this monitor even has speakers from different users and have found official documentation that says it doesn't yet it has volume control and shows up as a playback device as...

LG ULTRAWIDE
NVIDIA High Definition Audio

...in Windows 10 Playback Devices.

When I test it I can see the green bar/meter moving indicating it's getting an audio signal but still no sound. I've tried re-installing drivers, changing the HDMI cable to the included one, etc to no avail so I'm left with believing it doesn't have speakers yet it has volume control and a headphone jack on the back.

Is your model number 29UM60-P?

Edit: I also have an 1920x1200 HP w2408 (which I've turned vertical since getting the Ultrawide) and sound works fine though HDMI/NVIDIA just as it does through my Sony TV as well.

Also found someone selling one on ebay who explicitly state it does not have built-in speakers, very strange but at least I know why my audio doesn't work.

Paragon

I realize it's a bit short notice with the sale ending on the 5th, but it just occurred to me that DisplayFusion being in the Steam Sale at 70% off right now is a good recommendation for anyone with an ultrawide or multi-monitor setup.
I find it very useful to have keyboard shortcuts set up that split windows three ways across an ultrawide display rather than the 50/50 split that Windows uses, or a split with a 1080p window on one side for video playback and a browser filling the rest of the space for example.
Monitor profiles can also be very useful to quickly change resolutions/refresh rates with a keyboard shortcut.
There's a huge list of other features that it supports as well as those examples.
The Steam version is the one to get too, since that has no limits on the number of personal computers you can install it on.

When I test it I can see the green bar/meter moving indicating it's getting an audio signal but still no sound. I've tried re-installing drivers, changing the HDMI cable to the included one, etc to no avail so I'm left with believing it doesn't have speakers yet it has volume control and a headphone jack on the back.
Have you checked the display's menus to see if it's muted by default or something like that?

I realize it's a bit short notice with the sale ending on the 5th, but it just occurred to me that DisplayFusion being in the Steam Sale at 70% off right now is a good recommendation for anyone with an ultrawide or multi-monitor setup.
I find it very useful to have keyboard shortcuts set up that split windows three ways across an ultrawide display rather than the 50/50 split that Windows uses, or a split with a 1080p window on one side for video playback and a browser filling the rest of the space for example.
Monitor profiles can also be very useful to quickly change resolutions/refresh rates with a keyboard shortcut.
There's a huge list of other features that it supports as well as those examples.
The Steam version is the one to get too, since that has no limits on the number of personal computers you can install it on.

Have you checked the display's menus to see if it's muted by default or something like that?
So I just bought an ultrawide monitor, and splitting three Chrome browsers across the screen isn't flawless but isn't the worst pain either. Is this worth it for any other reason beyond that?

Edit: this is the ultrawide thread. I'm an idiot.

Pjsprojects

OK

Is your model number 29UM60-P?

Edit: I also have an 1920x1200 HP w2408 (which I've turned vertical since getting the Ultrawide) and sound works fine though HDMI/NVIDIA just as it does through my Sony TV as well.

Also found someone selling one on ebay who explicitly state it does not have built-in speakers, very strange but at least I know why my audio doesn't work.

Mine is 29UM68-P

Have you set the correct screen section to output sound?
I will check how I set mine when back from work later.

Mine is 29UM68-P

Have you set the correct screen section to output sound?
I will check how I set mine when back from work later.

I've found multiple users with the 29UM*60*-P model that have confirmed it does not have built-in speakers.

No big deal, I'll just use external audio/headsets but it is a super weird design to include both volume control and a headphone jack with no built-in speakers/sound option which just about every user I've found with this particular model has said basically the same thing.

Edit: In a live chat with LG they have confirmed that the 29UM60-P model does not have built-in speakers and the volume control/headphone jack is for external sound devices.

Paragon

So I just bought an ultrawide monitor, and splitting three Chrome browsers across the screen isn't flawless but isn't the worst pain either. Is this worth it for any other reason beyond that?
It has a ton of advanced features, but honestly a lot of the more basic multi-monitor or window management features have now been integrated into Windows 10.
If you don't work with a lot of windows and are happy to set things up manually, don't have multiple monitors, don't deal with multiple audio devices etc. you might not have much use for it.
It's been one of those pieces of software that I bought years ago for one specific feature, and have gradually been using for more and more things as time has gone on.
I realize I'm not doing a great job "selling" it, but maybe taking a look over their site or downloading a trial will help.

PFD

Edit: this is the ultrawide thread. I'm an idiot.

I use Windock for a 60% 40% split, free and works great

Pjsprojects

I've found multiple users with the 29UM*60*-P model that have confirmed it does not have built-in speakers.

No big deal, I'll just use external audio/headsets but it is a super weird design to include both volume control and a headphone jack with no built-in speakers/sound option which just about every user I've found with this particular model has said basically the same thing.

Edit: In a live chat with LG they have confirmed that the 29UM60-P model does not have built-in speakers and the volume control/headphone jack is for external sound devices.

At least you got a decent answer.

kuYuri

Anyone have thoughts on the AOC AG352UCG? Thinking of buying it this weekend. Coming from the Acer XB270HU, so I'll be joining there Ultrawide train with this. Mostly concerned about going from an IPS panel to an MVA panel.

Paragon

Anyone have thoughts on the AOC AG352UCG? Thinking of buying it this weekend. Coming from the Acer XB270HU, so I'll be joining there Ultrawide train with this. Mostly concerned about going from an IPS panel to an MVA panel.
I would make sure you buy it from somewhere that you have the option of returning it.
I wouldn't move from IPS to VA. Even if it does mean a higher contrast panel, there are so many downsides to VA displays - viewing angle and response time being the most obvious ones.

kuYuri

I would make sure you buy it from somewhere that you have the option of returning it.
I wouldn't move from IPS to VA. Even if it does mean a higher contrast panel, there are so many downsides to VA displays - viewing angle and response time being the most obvious ones.

Yep, I'll be buying it from Micro Center and their return policy is pretty good plus I know some people there.

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member
Has anyone else here bought a HP Omen X35 since it released? I bought mine when it came out and today got an email from amazon.de where they address the flickering issue (which I had from the beginning) and say that I should contact HP support to get a replacement or refund. Replacements won't be here until early August though because they apparently have to rebuild their whole production chain to fix the issue.

I guess I'll contact them and see what they have to offer.

Anyone use a curved ultrawide for digital art or photo editing?

I'd love to buy a 3440x1440 curved monitor for gaming, but I need to use my PC for digital art as well and I'm TERRIFIED that everything will look slightly odd painting on a curved surface... Any thoughts and experiences?

kuYuri

Cross-posting from PC build thread.

Hey, look what I got:

Sad I can't use it right now though. :(

As noted, it sucks that I still can't really use it right now because I don't think it will fit my current very small desk. It has a monitor table stand thing attached to it and I think it's too small for the actual PG348Q monitor stand to fully fit. Plus a bigger desk is most likely a must to keep the monitor sturdy.

I'm in the process of trying to buy a new desk for my PC, but I can't buy one for awhile longer. The wait sucks.

Dario ff

Banned
I jumped in a sweet deal for a LG 29UM58 as I was in the lookout for a new monitor with a nicer screen and the upgrade in aspect ratio has been my most pleasant surprise in years. This is such a fun thing to try out for all my games compared to just a resolution upgrade. Ultrawide hacks for emulators like CEMU are just incredible.

Some shots I took of Sonic Generations and Tropical Freeze (which it's a COMPLETE game-changer to how the game feels and works really well):

It's just the sweet point before the 3D gets heavily distorted and I can still focus on all parts of the screen without having to turn my head. I already feel it's hard to go back to 16:9 content after like one day.

I think it was definitely worth the $470 I paid for it (Import taxes & shipping adds up to like nearly double the price in Argentina).

So what's folks favorite games to play in 21:9?

Looking forward to Destiny 2 but so far I've really enjoyed the extra screen space in The Division, Borderlands 2 (which I fixed the annoying lighting bug due the setting the FOV to max...if you set it to 108 it goes away), Crysis 3, DOOM, Wolfenstein, Max Payne 3, The Witcher 3, Titanfall 2, and Forza Horizon 3 to name some...

Looking forward to Destiny 2 but so far I've really enjoyed the extra screen space in The Division, Borderlands 2 (which I fixed the annoying lighting bug due the setting the FOV to max...if you set it to 108 it goes away), Crysis 3, DOOM, Wolfenstein, Max Payne 3, The Witcher 3, Titanfall 2, and Forza Horizon 3 to name some...

Dues ex MD also has good implementation of it

PFD

Dark Souls 3 is great

Sciz

I jumped in a sweet deal for a LG 29UM58 as I was in the lookout for a new monitor with a nicer screen and the upgrade in aspect ratio has been my most pleasant surprise in years. This is such a fun thing to try out for all my games compared to just a resolution upgrade. Ultrawide hacks for emulators like CEMU are just incredible.

One of us.

Generations at 21:9 is gorgeous. Great for 2D sections for obvious reasons, and having more of the world fly by you in 3D is still a nice detail boost.

Pjsprojects

For me its Starwars Battlefront and as a big fan of The Division I also love the extra screen space.

kuYuri

So I've finally got my new desk set up and I've been using the Asus PG348Q for a day or so. Games look pretty damn good on it. I managed to overclock it to 100hz no problem. There's quite a bit of IPS glow in the top left and top right corners of the monitor. It's not noticeable while playing most games, but it's there.

I'll give it more time, but so far, I do like it a lot, but I'm actually more on the fence about it. I feel that perhaps it is a bit too expensive with all the trade-offs that you have to deal with compared to 16:9. I got it for $1050, which is a decent discount for new in box, but I feel like a refurbished for $700-$800~ for 3440x1440/G-Sync/100hz would be the better way to go if you can find one for that price. I've seen a few refurbished Acer X34s for that price, which I think is a great price for this type of monitor.

I've still got about two weeks before I can return it to Newegg, hoping to see if any more refurb Acers go on sale, but those get snatched up quick if you aren't ready to buy when they go on sale.

Corsick

I REALLY wish I could demo a G-Sync 144 hz 1440p monitor, an ultrawide version of that, then just an ultrawide 1440p no G-Sync and 60hz monitor. There's so many combinations of monitor specs now that it's incredibly difficult to know what would make most sense for me, especially with how expensive they are. When I see comments about how immersive it is, I just always ask "yeah, but will it have the same effect on me?" I'm not sure how I can try those all out to experience the difference before taking the plunge. I need to upgrade the rest of my PC anyways, but I definitely need a new monitor too.

I REALLY wish I could demo a G-Sync 144 hz 1440p monitor, an ultrawide version of that, then just an ultrawide 1440p no G-Sync and 60hz monitor. There's so many combinations of monitor specs now that it's incredibly difficult to know what would make most sense for me, especially with how expensive they are. When I see comments about how immersive it is, I just always ask "yeah, but will it have the same effect on me?" I'm not sure how I can try those all out to experience the difference before taking the plunge. I need to upgrade the rest of my PC anyways, but I definitely need a new monitor too.
It definitely takes a lot of power to run a 21:9 1440p monitor. Personally I wouldn't recommend one if you have anything less than a 980, and even then it's not ideal. Quite frankly, the 1080ti isn't considered "overkill" for 3440x1440, so you're absolutely justified in thinking that it's just not a cost effective resolution.

That said, 21:9 is a very immersive experience, in that the more you can see on either on side, the more it feels like you're actually there. It really is amazing. But if you don't have the hardware for it, obviously low framerates are going to more than counteract that extra viewing space, and it just won't be worth it.

Dave_6

I just bought a Dell S2716DG a few months ago and now I'm already wanting an ultrawide. :/ Granted I built a new rig (7700K + 1080ti) recently that is capable of pushing a 1440p ultrawide.

mxgt

Banned
I just bought a Dell S2716DG a few months ago and now I'm already wanting an ultrawide. :/ Granted I built a new rig (7700K + 1080ti) recently that is capable of pushing a 1440p ultrawide.

If you were looking for people to change your mind you've come to the wrong place my friend.

21:9 is glorious - do it! that rig will run games great

Is the PG348Q still the one to get?

I got it. It's pretty fantastic. Same panel as the Acer X34, so the deciding factor for me was the aesthetics of the bottom bezel and the monitor OSD controls). Didn't even take the stand out of the box.

I'd sell my Dell U3415W super duper cheap if I even wanted to bother trying to ship that thing. Which I don't.

OraleeWey

Hopefully someone can help. I'm trying to play FEAR extraction Point on my ultra wide monitor. I'm trying to get it to change to 2560x1080 but there is no setting folder. Any idea how to fix the issue?

I'm trying to follow these instructions to get to 2560x1080 but the "settings.cfg" folder is missing.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/21110/discussions/0/620695877293088583/

Edit: Never mind. I was in the wrong folder. I was using "browse local files" under Steam...

Edit:2 Game still holds up
AmbitiousCooperativeKitten.gif

HD

MANGOD

Banned
After being pretty set on the x34a I got a deal on an PG348Q which came yesterday. I have really bad backlight bleed on the left handside of the panel. Especially at the top which stuck out from the get go on the windows loading screen on first boot up. My room pretty much is a batcave so this will not be helping matters but Im unsure if im keeping it. My previous monitor which was a 27 inch IPS panel didnt really show off backlight bleed more ips glow in the same condtions.
Do these screens tend to suffer from this? Is it just a panel lottery? The size of the this thing is going to make returning it a pain in the ass.

Top Bottom