• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonder Woman now tracking to have opening on par with other DCEU movies

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamz

It really blew up the last 3/4 weeks indeed. And its now at a high point with reviews coming next week. Wich can boost it even more if its good. So the marketing was on point after all. Just peaking at the right moment.

Which is how most movies are marketed. Never got the point of that over reactive thread.

Dunno...

FTF

Nice, would love to see a $100m+ dom ow. Still thinking around $85-90m though, which would still be great.

I'm interested based on what I've seen and heard from people about it, but I'm still leery enough to wait a week or so out for more thorough and varied reviews.

I'm laying this 95% at the feet of BvS/SS and maybe 4% on the back of Wonder Woman not being the most marketable character to begin with. The blowback from the reception of those movies had to come, even if it wasn't felt immediately by their own BO takes.

Like others have said, I just hope it's good.

I enjoyed Man of Steel for the most part, and I really tried to like parts of BvS, but the bar isn't high at all.

It's not really surprising if it doesn't do as well as these hugely popular characters like Batman and Superman that can drive ticket sales based on their names alone.

Yeah, Wonder Woman has been around a long time, but the character is not close in terms of pop culture relevance.

I personally know more guys who want to see WW than women. Simply because it's still a superhero action movie. Maybe things are different for younger generations, but for people in their 30s, I don't know many women who want to go out and watch superhero movies. Doesn't matter if the lead is female. They just don't care in general.

Theorry

Guess i need to post this for a new page. Because i feel people are missing it and responding on the thread title.

--

Update. I mean if it happens. Its so great for female superhero movies.

BoxOfficePro, the service whose long range forecast put WW at an 83 M OW, upped their estimate to 111 M OW, 300 DOM. They added this note:

Wonder Woman continues to impress as its final marketing stage hits. Reviews are expected to come online around Memorial Day, and if positive enough, they could help send the film into buzz overdrive before release next week. Before then, though, tracking has continued to inch closer to the levels of Man of Steel. We’re increasingly in the “bullish” camp at this point.

115 is definitely the best case scenario for WW, and I think this confirms it won't open below 100.

http://pro.boxoffice.com/long-range-forecast-dunkirk-girls-trip-valerian/

They had a Walmart Thursday preview that was counted separately from Friday.
The $12M reported was what Walmart bought and I don't think we ever got an actual number on how many of those were sold to consumers. Considering no one has ever tried something remotely like that since, the promotion was probably a pretty big disappointment.

if the movie hits a home run in both sales and reviews then all those Gal Gadot critics will feel overly awkward

Not really. She has been fairly mediocre in everything I've seen her in.

If this movie succeeds, it won't be because of her amazing acting ability.

I have been impressed by her physicality though. From the footage I've seen, she seems to be handling the action scenes better than I thought she would. A little more muscle wouldn't have hurt though.

Theorry

I have been impressed by her physicality though. From the footage I've seen, she seems to be handling the action scenes better than I thought she would. A little more muscle wouldn't have hurt though.

Critics praise her tho.

Sojgat

Is there a bingo card for Wonder Woman threads yet?

I think I found John Campea's GAF account.

I opened this thread and started reading on page 1 and I was very very confused since the OP was saying the opposite. Why wouldnt this be a new thread? New thread for new news, guys! Bumping a month old thread with news that rendered this original thread outdated was not a good idea.

shira

less less or more less?

tumblr_inline_oazitkDzeY1rznqax_500.gif

With PotC tanking looks like it's a more more

If Mummy bombs they could be in for a chicken dinner

Peru

why?
lots of movies succeed with bad actors.

Well.. most impressions so far specifically single out Gadot's performance as a winning factor. And the haters on here weren't saying they didn't like her.. they said she literally couldn't act, couldn't deliver a single line. The hyperbole based off a few flimsy b-movies she's starred in was pretty insane.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i want pirates to bomb and this to coast over it

will hopefully provide some insight to studios about what moviegoers want right now

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
It's not really surprising if it doesn't do as well as these hugely popular characters like Batman and Superman that can drive ticket sales based on their names alone.

Yeah, Wonder Woman has been around a long time, but the character is not close in terms of pop culture relevance.

That's not really an excuse/explanation when you have borderline unknown Marvel characters opening in the same range. On paper a Wonder Woman movie should automatically beat a Doctor Strange movie. The fact that we've been sitting here wondering if WW can do that is more of a testament to how badly damaged the DCEU is after MoS and BvS than anything else.

That's not really an excuse/explanation when you have borderline unknown Marvel characters opening in the same range. On paper a Wonder Woman movie should automatically beat a Doctor Strange movie. The fact that we've been sitting here wondering if WW can do that is more of a testament to how badly damaged the DCEU is after MoS and BvS than anything else.

No. The idea that Wonder Woman, or any superheroine movie, will automatically be a huge success is a total fallacy. Fact that Marvel Studios does two movies with talking trees and raccoons, Doctor Strange, Ant-Man, three Thor movies, etc. before one movie with a female lead should tell you how cold studios are on it. Same goes for Fox and Sony.

kswiston

Didn't you have some data indicating they were fairly accurate this close to a films release? Maybe I'm thinking of something else.

They average a bit over 70% accuracy 2 months out. I didnt look at their one week out accuracy.

I don't think that boxoffice.com is that bad with their predictions, but they aren't a tracking company with access to ticket presales. They make their predictions based on social media metrics and past film performances.

We should get something official early next week. We should also finally get a budget estimate, which I am more interested in.

Peru

Wonder Woman isn't an established movie franchise. And the DCEU hardly is either. The Marvel brand, literally the strongest in the world of cinema, is what sells a Doctor Strange movie, not Doctor Strange the comic book character.

jdstorm

Banned
WonderWoman isn't that big outside the states.

I do hope it'll do well though.

Wait what. Since when.

Wonder Woman was one of the 4 truely global superheroes pre Marvel studios (Superman, Batman and Spiderman were the other 3)

If Wonder Woman fails globally it will be due to a lack of quality not awareness.

Joni

People want a good female superhero movie. And wonder woman is known in Europe. More than iron man before his movie. If this is good, it should do good.

Pachimari

The international market better take to Wonder Woman after disappointing me with the abysmal reception of both Ghost in the Shell and Power Rangers.

I got that whole "WARRIOR!" soundtrack in my head after that trailer that featured the song. What is it called?

Busty

Banned
I've decided that I'm going all in on Wonder Woman this summer. I previously kicked around some pretty lofty predictions which I didn't fully commit to. Now, now the time has come.., I'm going for it.

Wonder Woman has an opening weekend close to Man Of Steel's $110-115m with a final North American gross that is in the same neighbourhood as the first two Hunger Game films with $375-400m even with the increased competition of the summer.

These are both long shots, I know this, but they aren't impossible. I think that WW is going to bring in the female audience like no other superhero film has before, after Warners made Tarzan a 'hit' last summer by bringing in the female audience in a big way I think they'll do the same here.

Expect to see this film have great legs as the studio pushes for more 'mother + daughter night out' (or similar promotions) style screenings as a way to bring out more women. I think that this film can attract the traditional comic book audience as well a demographic that wouldn't usually touch a film like this in the cinema.

*folds arms*

So there.

Nice thread title change. I thought it was a new thread and was surprised to see I already had several posts in it, lol.
I certainly was not expecting the film to be tracking so well. A year ago, I thought it was suicide to release this film so close to Pirates but I guess that franchise isn't so hot these days, at least in the US.

Here's the prediction I made in the other thread if I recall correctly:
US: 220
Foreign: 250
WW total: 470

That might have been too conservative, here's my update:
US: 270
Foreign: 320
WW total: 590

Still unsure about the international numbers but crossing the 300 million bar doesn't seem too hard these days so maybe it has a chance. Anyway, anything above 450 would be a good start for the franchise.

Busty

Banned
Still unsure about the international numbers but crossing the 300 million bar doesn't seem too hard these days so maybe it has a chance. Anyway, anything above 450 would be a good start for the franchise.

Given it's current momentum $450m (or something in that region) would be fucking terrible. Im thinking that the lowest bar, worldwide, that the film needs to get over is $550/600m. Anything under that and the studio wouldn't be at all happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom