• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Switch developer information leaked. Reveals A TON incl. hardware specs

RoadHazard

Gold Member
That's a very bad way of looking at it.

It's it? In portable mode (which is the baseline all games will have to be made to run at) you'll get slightly above Wii U visuals. In docked mode you'll get the same, but at higher resolutions (or possibly with more detail and effects instead, but I doubt many devs will choose to go that route). Which is exactly what we're seeing.

So because she reported something that proved false, she should implicate someone who may or may not face repercussions at his or her job because of it? Why would anyone leak information to someone who does that?

Like I said, this never happened. She originally leaked the price rumor and said she had a source at GAME who told her this. That was a transparent leak.

Then, when proven wrong, she said her GAME source must have been wrong. She did not share any additional information about this source whatsoever. That's not throwing a source under the bus.

Throwing a source under the bus is what SMD reportedly did when Nintendo lawyers came knocking on his door and threatened to sue him (even though they had no grounds to do so) if he didn't tell them who his Nintendo source was. What LKD did was completely different- she kept the information about her source 100% secret after her initial leak.

This is all very off-topic though so this is the last I'll say about it.

Oregano

I'm sicked that Nintendo can't cram in a Titan X(Pascal), 32GB of DDR4, an i7 7770K, and a 5K display into a small form factor tablet-like console with a 6.2" display.

Joking aside, I think the Switch specs are pretty respectable. I wonder if the latest NVIDIA chipset would have had any marginal performance gains. I'm sure Nintendo took a look into that idea before setting on Maxwell.

I think the fact NVIDIA is still using the X1 probably means that it just wasn't viable at the moment to shrink it down or use a newer chip.

It's it? In portable mode (which is the baseline all games will have to be made to run at) you'll get slightly above Wii U visuals. In docked mode you'll get the same, but at higher resolutions (or possibly with more detail and effects instead, but I doubt many devs will choose to go that route). Which is exactly what we're seeing.
Yeah, that's why comparing the docked specs to XB1 exclusives is a bad way of looking at it.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I agree.

If Wii U's GPU was really 352 Gflops (fp32), even disregarding the older AMD GPU architecture, then Switch in portable mode is considerably less powerful (which I don't believe is actually the case) and Switch while docked is barely more powerful than Wii U (again, I don't believe it). Therefore the 176 Gflop figure for Wii U seems much more believable.

I think someone interpreted a die shot wrong and a bunch of media outlets picked up on it and it spread from there. at that point of the WUST I wasn't paying much attention anymore since the console had released already.

Your martyr complex is honestly kind of sad at this point. You've been playing the Switch victim for months now.

No, it's not. That kind of shit really needs to stop. People need to come to their senses and realize that their baseless attacking and mocking of contradicting facts isn't appropriate. Sometimes a portion of people on this forum seem like just as bad as Trump voters and feel like a bunch of religious zealots incapable of processing any sort of realism or logical thinking, blindly believing whichever source conveniently aligns with theirs. I can't fathom that people were presented with that devkit image, and without performing any sort of critical analysis of the hardware's form factor presented on it, despite matching vents, despite matching game card port, despite matching grooves and notches, despite matching literally everything, still dismissed it as fake by the mere words of Laura Kate Dale, as if she were some sort of holy truth bible.

Logic would denote that a portable system with PS4-like levels of power would be impossibly expensive, but hey let's GET HYPED and shit on the guy that comes along and tells people to keep their expectations in check and to not expect much of a leap from Wii U graphics. Logic would denote that a screenshot of a devkit that looks absolutely identical to the retail unit presented in the trailer save for devkit-specific additions is the real deal, but Laura Kate Dale said it was fake with no evidence whatsoever, so let's keep believing that instead. Logic would denote that a small tiny indie studio with very few people would be incapable of delivering on outlandish promises of a procedurally-generated universe with infinite online gameplay possibilities, especially when being purposely vague and avoiding to actually show any of the many things they have talked about, especially whenever it came to detailing actual gameplay mechanics, but let's GET HYPED and give them millions and millions of dollars instead. Etc. etc.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Specs aren't bad at all but we need to see the retail specs and how much is available to games, Vita was heavily downclocked for example.

Durante

Wii U's GPU is based on ATI's TeraScale VLIW5, no? If yes then these flops are seriously different between the two of them.
They are. Still, when you look at the entire range between a Wii U and a XB1 it's a lot closer at the ~160 GFLOP setting to the former than the latter.

For docked mode, the external bandwidth will probably play a larger role than for undocked mode.

AmyS

I think someone interpreted a die shot wrong and a bunch of media outlets picked up on it and it spread from there. at that point of the WUST I wasn't paying much attention anymore since the console had released already.

Yeah, and I mean, I don't remember anyone disputing Wii U GPU clock speed (~550 MHz) but rather, the shader ALU count, 320 vs 160.

No, it's not. That kind of shit really needs to stop. People need to come to their senses and realize that their baseless attacking and mocking of contradicting facts isn't appropriate. Sometimes a portion of people on this forum seem like just as bad as Trump voters and feel like a bunch of religious zealots incapable of processing any sort of realism or logical thinking, blindly believing whichever source conveniently aligns with theirs. I can't fathom that people were presented with that devkit image, and without performing any sort of critical analysis of the hardware's form factor presented on it, despite matching vents, despite matching game card port, despite matching grooves and notches, despite matching literally everything, still dismissed it as fake by the mere words of Laura Kate Dale, as if she were some sort of holy truth bible.

Logic would denote that a portable system with PS4-like levels of power would be impossibly expensive, but hey let's GET HYPED and shit on the guy that comes along and tells people to keep their expectations in check and to not expect much of a leap from Wii U graphics. Logic would denote that a screenshot of a devkit that looks absolutely identical to the retail unit presented in the trailer save for devkit-specific additions is the real deal, but Laura Kate Dale said it was fake with no evidence whatsoever, so let's keep believing that instead. Logic would denote that a small tiny indie studio with very few people would be incapable of delivering on outlandish promises of a procedurally-generated universe with infinite online gameplay possibilities, especially when being purposely vague and avoiding to actually show any of the many things they have talked about, especially whenever it came to detailing actual gameplay mechanics, but let's GET HYPED and give them millions and millions of dollars instead. Etc. etc.

Holy shit, NO ONE thought this (ok, I'm sure like two people on GAF thought this). You keep MAKING SHIT UP. You've created this false narrative FOR MONTHS.

People said the system would be a nice boost from Wii U. You took that as people claiming "OMG WE'RE GETTING A PORTABLE PS4!!!". You completely misinterpreted the situation and continue to do so.

Soroc

But the left column means the hardware supports it. The right column is what Nintendo limits the console to. Nintendo can update that via firmware presumably.

But this logic means there is no bluetooth then right? Left column shows support for 4.0 + LE but right column shows "disabled" Unless it was just disabled on the dev kit? Idk...

Holy shit, NO ONE thought this (ok, I'm sure like two people on GAF thought this). You keep MAKING SHIT UP.

People said the system would be a nice boost from Wii U. You took that to mean "OMG WE'RE GETTING A PORTABLE PS4!!!". You complete misinterpreted the situation and continue to do so.

Before the January event, there were a lot of posters here speculating about the Switch getting things like FFXV or Mass Effect: Andromeda at launch.

I wonder how developers will tackle the power difference between the dock mode and portable mode.

There will either be a performance difference between both modes or the devs will target for portable mode so people can't complain that their game runs better / worse depending on playing at home or on the way.

Dystify

tnqDe7E.png

I guess this image kinda confirms the leak is real. You can compare it to a real Switch image (which I took from this video).

C3cX9r6W8AYCCvR.png

The first image is described as what you see when you suspend a game on Switch. The second image is what actually happens as a Switch game is suspended.

Aside from these images, I see some Switch devs talking about this leak on Twitter, saying that it really is real.

Oregano

But this logic means there is no bluetooth then right? Left column shows support for 4.0 + LE but right column shows "disabled" Unless it was just disabled on the dev kit? Idk...

It's the latter(I think). Developers can't do anything with Bluetooth.

That actually makes his point stronger, as in they were given some info in the Fall 2016 that won't be so dramaticly different some months later.

I don't really follow that logic at all. As of July devs could use 3 A57s at 2GHz according to this spec sheet. Then sometime in the fall DF was told the CPU max speed was 1GHz but they didn't know the final core configuration. Later, a Foxconn leaker who was proven to have some correct information (such as the exact battery capacities) says the CPU cores are A72s.

Wouldn't it make more sense that we'd have 3 A57s at 2GHz in an early devkit and then 3-4A72s at 1GHz in a later one? That performance level would match up far better than 3 A57s at 2GHz vs 3 A57s at 1GHz.

It being in the right column means it's disabled for applications (meaning games) to use. So the OS can use it.

Before the January event, there were a lot of posters here speculating about the Switch getting things like FFXV or Mass Effect: Andromeda at launch.

But no one thought it would be PS4 level in power. And very few people thought it would get FFXV, but even so that has little bearing on the specs of the machine.

Sendou

I guess this image kinda confirms the leak is real. You can compare it to a real Switch image (which I took from this video).

The first image is described as what you see when you suspend a game on Switch. The second image is what actually happens as a Switch game is suspended.

Any speculation what the "Game News" are about?

Holy shit, NO ONE thought this (ok, I'm sure like two people on GAF thought this). You keep MAKING SHIT UP.

People said the system would be a nice boost from Wii U. You took that as people claiming "OMG WE'RE GETTING A PORTABLE PS4!!!". You completely misinterpreted the situation and continue to do so.

1TF machine with better CPU was a thing here on GAF.

Instro

This seals it 100% for the Foxconn clocks for me. They aren't going to tell devs to target 3 x 1ghz a57 in July then increase it to 4x 1.72 ghz a72s in October.

Not that I disagree, but wasn't it noted that the stock x1 throttles to 1ghz by default? May not have been a target, but the limit of the first dev kits.

Uh, you might want to have a another look at the NX hardware speculation thread. The vast majority of people were expecting this thing to be in the ballpark of XONE/PS4 levels of power, or at least very much closer to those than it is to the Wii U. Tons of people were expecting ports of current-gen games like FFXV and such.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

No bluetooth access for the app, but bluetooth might still be handled at the OS level, like for example bluetooth headsets for audio output and it would just be transparent for the app itself.

Shahadan

I disagree, I remember seeing many posts either implying or outirght hoping it would be close to a ps4.
I remember shaking my head everytime. He's not making shit up despite people acting like nothing happened since the eurogamer leak

There are people who STILL think this could happen. But that actually has little to do with the system's power and more to do with the fact that it's running modern engines on modern architecture. Though I think those folks are in for a rude awakening.

I disagree, I remember seeing many posts either implying or outirght hoping it would be close to a ps4.
I remember shaking my head everytime. He's not making shit up despite people acting like nothing happened since the eurogamer leak

I should clarify. I'm talking about people in Switch tech threads. People AtomicShroom was conversing with on this topic. There were obviously people all over GAF and the internet who had over-the-top, unrealistic hopes and dreams.

OCD Guy

I wonder how developers will tackle the power difference between the dock mode and portable mode.

There will either be a performance difference between both modes or the devs will target for portable mode so people can't complain that their game runs better / worse depending on playing at home or on the way.

It will be as simple as a difference in resolution between playing while docked or on the go.

It won't be any more than that.

I remember similar talk when Laura Kate Dale mentioned the dock holding additional hardware and all the speculation of dock exclusive games.

Anyone expecting higher frame rates, or higher graphical settings (or even crazier) dock exclusive games is in for a disappointment.

Look at the launch games we have already, what is the difference between docked and portable? Higher resolutions right? And that will likely be how things are throughout the life of the switch.

Nintendo to me make it clear they want the same experience regardless of where you play, that's probably why there's no touchscreen features in games....

EloquentM

aka Mannny

that seems possible as I recall there being a bluetooth option in the settings mentioned within this thread.

edit: looks like its disabled for apps not the os

Sendou

I'm gonna hazzard a guess here, maybe it's a place where you get some news about games?

Wow that's mind blowing. My question was more along in lines that I can't really imagine what kind of notifications there could be that warrant such a prime spot on the OS.

Logic would denote that a portable system with PS4-like levels of power would be impossibly expensive, but hey let's GET HYPED and shit on the guy that comes along and tells people to keep their expectations in check and to not expect much of a leap from Wii U graphics.

Who the fuck believed the Switch Handheld would be as strong as a PS4? Not many i assume.

Laura had some things wrong, but i still believe we will see some of her leaks come to fruition (Beyond, Rabbids etc.)

Dystify

I'm gonna hazzard a guess here, maybe it's a place where you get some news about games?

Miiverse may be gone but there seems to be an option to post relevant info about their game for devs.

From the documents:
"It can be used to post messages on certain topics, poll for posts on certain topic, and otherwise share information within the application."

Nobody even knows what the fuck the game even is at this point, so arguing either side is completely useless.

Judge/condemn/love/marry the damn thing when it comes out.

We know enough about the game by now. There are totally new maps, weapons, new specials, spectator mode, graphical updates, new single player mode, etc. It definitely is worthy of a successor.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Any speculation what the "Game News" are about?

From NX-System_Features_Guide-1_1-20160930-en-Private/contents/Pages/Page_126567292.

3.1 Game News
You can download data specific to the following types of games.
  • Notifications with a strong promotional element
  • Application notifications
  • Notifications about the NX system, such as how to use system features

Sendou

Miiverse may be gone but there seems to be an option to post relevant info about their game for devs.

From the documents:
"It can be used to post messages on certain topics, poll for posts on certain topic, and otherwise share information within the application."

So it could be about that specific suspended game (is that even a thing anymore?) Neat and useful if so.

From the documents:
Developers can, yes.

thefil

I don't really follow that logic at all. As of July devs could use 3 A57s at 2GHz according to this spec sheet. Then sometime in the fall DF was told the CPU max speed was 1GHz but they didn't know the final core configuration. Later, a Foxconn leaker who was proven to have some correct information (such as the exact battery capacities) says the CPU cores are A72s.

Wouldn't it make more sense that we'd have 3 A57s at 2GHz in an early devkit and then 3-4A72s at 1GHz in a later one? That performance level would match up far better than 3 A57s at 2GHz vs 3 A57s at 1GHz.

The Foxconn leaker did *not* say there were A72s. They said that some machine at their factory was stress tested for days at 1.76Ghz CPU and 900-ish GPU.

A72 came up as a probable requirement to maintain those clocks for the test.

Seems real for sure.

The Foxconn leaker did *not* say there were A72s. They said that some machine at their factory was stress tested for days at 1.76Ghz CPU and 900-ish GPU.

A72 came up as a probable requirement to maintain those clocks for the test.

The more recent translation actually shows he did say A72, explicitly. Whether he actually knew that or just guessed it (or made it up) is not clear, but he did say it.

But if we are believing the unit was actually stress tested at 1.78GHz CPU and 921MHz GPU for 8 days (regardless of whether these are the final clocks) then it would be difficult to believe it uses A57s, as the Shield TV cannot even do that without throttling.

We know enough about the game by now. There are totally new maps, weapons, new specials, spectator mode, graphical updates, new single player mode, etc. It definitely is worthy of a successor.

IT'S A SEQUEL! STOP THIS SHIT
Hey now, I mean in terms of quality. It might have a Titanfall 2 level campaign or a Battlefront one. We don't know.

It makes as little sense to discuss the game as a guaranteed to be brilliant sequel as it does to pretend it's rushed garbage.

Top Bottom