• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dispute over whether DotA2 has passed LoL in the west; LoL 500k concurrent US+EU

Boken

Banned
I don't believe in either of those claims and I find it funny people dismissing this article but believing blindly in the absurds numbers riot gave :O
they literally can say any number and people will believe and in both cases there's just as much reliable sources
Spoilers: none

on par with what forgeforesaken said,

if dota2 actually beats out league, trust me, we will know from valve

As long as that means there is more Nurse Akali cosplay.

I like how you think

league is clearly superior from a sex appeal perspective
nobody wants to see nurse AA for example

TommyT

Also, let me just say for cosplay at PAX East ,LoL outnumbered Dota by like 20 to 1. In fact LoL cosplay pretty much dwarfed pretty much any other cosplay though Borderlands seemed to have a good turn out.

LoL cosplay was popular at PAX Prime last year. That's also due to Riot paying who knows what ungoldy amount to make sure DotA wasn't at PAX as well as paying girls/women to be cosplayers. There were a number of VERY well done outfits of scantily glad LoL characters to the point where I just had to ask - it finally boiled down to, "I'm not supposed to tell if I was asked if I wanted to do this and be compensated or not" with a wink.

antitrop

No it hasn't. The numbers just plain don't add up. LoL has 5 million PCU worldwide and Dota has 300k PCU, and I highly doubt the east makes up 94% of LoL's playerbase.

Also that report cites Xfire, lol.

Ya, I don't buy this. I laughed out loud at the thread title.

Boken

Banned
LoL cosplay was popular at PAX Prime last year. That's also due to Riot paying who knows what ungoldy amount to make sure DotA wasn't at PAX as well as paying girls/women to be cosplayers. There were a number of VERY well done outfits of scantily glad LoL characters to the point where I just had to ask - it finally boiled down to, "I'm not supposed to tell if I was asked if I wanted to do this and be compensated or not" with a wink.

but are you saying there would be more dota cosplay than league cosplay if none of that happened

Xfire?

tumblr_lwxys7gdMl1qii6tmo1_500.gif

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
on par with what forgeforesaken said,

if dota2 actually beats out league, trust me, we will know from valve

I like how you think

league is clearly superior from a sex appeal perspective
nobody wants to see nurse AA for example

What about a Nurse Lina?

TommyT

but are you saying there would be more dota cosplay than league cosplay if none of that happened

Could have been. I saw 1 DotA cosplay and 2 LoL coplays that weren't of high quality (see: the quality that I wouldn't expect average people to put into a costume and was the same quality of the girl I spoke with). Obviously there are plenty of other variables to take into account as to if there would be more than the other, however LoL was actively promoted at PAX Prime where the DotA tournament (TI2?) was being held across the street. I'd bet there were more DotA cosplayers there than LoL ones ;)

Usobuko

Banned
LoL trounces DotA 2 in popularity, concurrent users, time played, whatever metric you want to use. It's not close. And I also doubt the whole "Once DotA 2 opens up to the Asian region, look out folks! Millions will flock over!"... I doubt it. LoL is conquering the world. The Chinese teams that have played in the tournaments have been some of the best in the world. LoL will have the Asian region locked up as well. /lolfanboy

I would believe this if a chinese team didn't win TI 2, it's also the reason why I doubt the Koreans and Taiwanese would move over to Dota 2 since their professional teams are performing well at international level. I believe there's a rather strong correlation between the performance of professional players and the popularity of the game in that country. I called it the winning glory for my home country mantra.

The thing is, there is not much draw to the LoL chinese team even if WE got 1st in IPLLOL 5. Here's why, as quote from teamliquid,

WE's Misaya used to be a DotA player on a second or third-tier professional Chinese DotA team (his only claim to fame being a WCG match where he Lion ulted a creep, throwing away a free kill against PIS' Shadowfiend, and got absolutely crushed in lane). In LoL, he's now arguably the best mid player in China, on the best team in China. Fun fact, the team he was on also included 430, Chuan, and ksssssss who all went on to have much more stellar DotA careers than Misaya did.

Uh there are actually millions of chinese WC3 Dota players that didn't move to 2 because it's not available there yet...

That's correct. Anecdotal, during my last trip to China in 2012, I saw many youth playing LoL on internet cafe. Valve needs to get their shit together.

Gotta be honest, the DOTA heroes aren't good for cosplay anyway. AFAIK most cosplayers are female, and there aren't that many women in DOTA with the appeal for cosplay.

Lina
Crystal Maiden
Drow Ranger
Windrunner
Mirana
Phantom Assassin
Queen of Pain
Vengeful Spirit
Death Prophet
Medusa

Now compare with the number of bug, antro chars.

TommyT

Gotta be honest, the DOTA heroes aren't good for cosplay anyway. AFAIK most cosplayers are female, and there aren't that many women in DOTA with the appeal for cosplay.

Lina
Crystal Maiden
Drow Ranger
Windrunner
Mirana
Phantom Assassin
Queen of Pain
Vengeful Spirit
Death Prophet
Medusa

Dibs on being the mount.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

Lina
Crystal Maiden
Drow Ranger
Windrunner
Mirana
Phantom Assassin
Queen of Pain
Vengeful Spirit
Death Prophet
Medusa

There are only like 3 bugs heroes in the game (Which all have Invis abilities...)

Legion Commander would likely be decent material once she comes out. You also left out the likes of Drow and Templar Assassin, which would likely be popular choices. (I just can't see people doing decent Enchantress Cosplay)

I'm a bit surprised at this, given the higher PC specs and controlled availability.

Must be the hats.

Lina
Crystal Maiden
Drow Ranger
Windrunner
Mirana
Phantom Assassin
Queen of Pain
Vengeful Spirit
Death Prophet
Medusa

also,

Luna
Legion Commander
Naga Siren
Templar Assassin
Puck :3

kswiston

What are the min specs for both Dota 2 and LoL? I would imagine that Dota 1 is still so popular in china because it runs on calculators by this point. Most Chinese gamers are not going to have gaming rigs. I am assuming that internet cafes outside of the weathier areas of a few cities are similar to those in Latin American countries like Costa Rica, where most of the PCs are 7-10 years old.

Lina
Crystal Maiden
Drow Ranger
Windrunner
Mirana
Phantom Assassin
Queen of Pain
Vengeful Spirit
Death Prophet
Medusa

Luna
Templar Assassin
Naga Siren
Medusa
Spectre
Broodmother

Unreleased
Legion Commander

But they're definitely not as buxom LoL characters..

JoeInky

What are the min specs for both Dota 2 and LoL? I would imagine that Dota 1 is still so popular in china because it runs on calculators by this point. Most Chinese gamers are not going to have gaming rigs. I am assuming that internet cafes outside of the weathier areas of a few cities are similar to those in Latin American countries like Costa Rica, where most of the PCs are 7-10 years old.

Dota 2 currently has the higher system requirements as far as I can tell, you can get dota to really low settings but you need to mess around with .cfg files, they don't let you set it as low as possible in game yet, I'm assuming that will come around for the chinese release.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I'm a bit surprised at this, given the higher PC specs and controlled availability.

Must be the hats.

also,

Luna
Legion Commander
Templar Assassin
Puck :3
You can only include Puck if you include Wisp. Both are Genderless!

(Though Puck is clearly female just as Wisp is clearly an Oversized Quas Orb)

There are only like 3 bugs heroes in the game (Which all have Invis abilities...)

Legion Commander would likely be decent material once she comes out. You also left out the likes of Drow and Templar Assassin, which would likely be popular choices. (I just can't see people doing decent Enchantress Cosplay)

Luna
Templar Assassin
Naga Siren
Medusa
Spectre
Broodmother

Unreleased
Legion Commander

But they're definitely not as buxom LoL characters..

I totally forgot about Templar and Luna. That point stands still, very few of them have the appeal those LoL females have.

antitrop

LoL is the better choice for low-end PCs and laptops, but they're fairly comparable.

League of Legends - Minimum:
--------------------
*2 GHz processor
*1 GB RAM (Windows Vista and 7 users will want 2 GB of RAM or more)
*8 GB available hard disk space
*Shader version 2.0 capable video card

DOTA 2 - Minimum:
--------
* Processor: Pentium 4 3.0GHz
* Memory: 1 GB for XP / 2GB for Vista
* Graphics: DirectX 9 compatible video card with 128 MB, Shader model 2.0. ATI X800, NVidia 6600 or better

dorkimoe

Yessssss

/cheers dota! Slay the beast!

I do agree though that the game is pretty much "out". Its kind of a joke that they are selling access for how much they are charging. THey are just trying to milk it for as much as possible before they release it. Just stop with the cosmetics, focus on the tutorial and release it

LoL is the better choice for low-end PCs and laptops, but they're fairly comparable.

--------------------
*2 GHz processor

DOTA 2 - Minimum:
--------
* Graphics: DirectX 9 compatible video card with 128 MB, Shader model 2.0. ATI X800, NVidia 6600 or better
Looking at those specs, it's pretty clear that neither require much. Or rather, both can scale down pretty fucking low.

I wonder how bad Dota2 looks with all the graphics settings bottomed out compared to a bottomed-out LoL.

kswiston

--------------------
*2 GHz processor

DOTA 2 - Minimum:
--------

Hmm, I'm impressed that DOTA2 scales so low. Those min specs would match a 2004-2005 machine. Low enough to not be a hindrance in China and similar places.

TommyT

I totally forgot about Templar and Luna. That point stands still, very few of them have the appeal those LoL females have.

What? Appeal to whom? Those cosplaying or those wanting to see them cosplayed? I would expect to see different (easier and sexier) LoL cosplays than some of the ones at PAX Prime last year.

edit: Are you saying there are more LoL Champions that are appealing because they're just a 'normal' person that's clothed opposed to some type of difference race/species/whatever?

dave is ok

aztek is ok
The reason there are more LoL cosplayers is because Riot actually shows up to PAX and spends a fuckload of money on swag, contests and giveaways. And yeah, they clearly hire some cosplayers like that amazing Fiddlesticks at PAX East this year.

Valve don't really do the convention thing

What? Appeal to whom? Those cosplaying or those wanting to see them cosplayed? I would expect to see different (easier and sexier) LoL cosplays than some of the ones at PAX Prime last year.

edit: Are you saying there are more LoL Champions that are appealing because they're just a 'normal' person that's clothed opposed to some type of difference race/species/whatever?

more T&A in LoL.

antitrop

Hmm, I'm impressed that DOTA2 scales so low. Those min specs would match a 2004-2005 machine. Low enough to not be a hindrance in China and similar places.
It applies to strategy games, in general. Even StarCraft II, a relatively high-tech engine, can run on PCs that cost less than my textbooks for the last semester.

StarCraft II - Minimum:
-------------
Intel® Pentium® D or AMD Athlon™ 64 X2
Video NVIDIA® GeForce® 7600 GT or ATI™ Radeon™ X800 XT or better
1.5 GB RAM

Techies

RIOT chick talking bunch of crap no one cares about nets 800k youtube views within a few hours. That youtube link is linked within the game itself.

RIOT had claimed 3 million concurrent users at peak which is still 10 times more DOTA2.
5 million was the unique logins per day. 100 million unique logins per month.

Oh and HoN is still better than both of them, especially now since the custom map scene has been somewhat been revived. Been playing remakes of Pudge wars, Warlock and Enfoz.
Not too mention S2 actually released an 8 bit mode for HoN on April 1, that's how awesome S2 can be.

Jackl

All self released numbers are massaged. Pretty typical in all corporations, and even .gov publications these days.

You have to take eternal realtime data and figure a trend. I find it doubtful Dota has taken over LoL by twitch viewers alone. Even factoring ingame viewers. The discrepancy is too large.

Likewise I doubt LoLs active userbase is 10 times the size of Dota.

From that is this: http://www.riotgames.com/articles/20120914/276/players-log-1-billion-lol-hours-each-month

1 billion hours a month for LoL, and that's from a few months ago.

Someone could do some fancy calculus and figure out from the player numbers that are available in steam and we could have a direct comparison. If you wanted to keep it to the west or whatever just approximate a fraction.

Techies

And that puts the Dota2 total player base at 2 million less than the reported concurrent peak player base of LoL. Which is why this report is so hard to believe, as Riot just reported the 5 million concurrent last month.

The number was 3 million near the end of last year. Where on earth does these +2 million come from in such a short period of time?

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I find this hard to believe. There are more people playing League of Legends than there are people on the freakin planet. The game is huger than huge.

kswiston

From that is this: http://www.riotgames.com/articles/20120914/276/players-log-1-billion-lol-hours-each-month

1 billion hours a month for LoL, and that's from a few months ago.

Someone could do some fancy calculus and figure out from the player numbers that are available in steam and we could have a direct comparison. If you wanted to keep it to the west or whatever just approximate a fraction.

If monthly unique users for DOTA2 are in the 3M range, each player would have to play 11 hours a day on average to hit 1 billion cumulative hours a month.

Dec

eZ.png

Hmm can't be that?

He was talking about how people leave the League client running in the background and it isn't as easy to do that with Dota because the client isn't seperate from the game itself. The League client is just an Adobe Air monstrosity.

He claimed it is a factor for why concurrent users on LoL are so high.

This really is not relevant at all. If you want a dota 2 key, you can get one incredibly easily.

http://www.reddit.com/r/sharedota2/

It's relevant because until you can just download the game freely from Steam, there is a barrier of entry that will deter a lot people. Fact is, number comparisons wont be accurate until both games are easily obtainable by anyone, weather they have friends with keys or not.

Top Bottom