• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dispute over whether DotA2 has passed LoL in the west; LoL 500k concurrent US+EU

If monthly unique users for DOTA2 are in the 3M range, each player would have to play 11 hours a day on average to hit 1 billion cumulative hours a month.

Honestly for some of the people who play dota that's not completely out of the question...

But basically yeah, not likely it sounds like.

Anyone have an idea on what fraction of LoL is in "the east"? Korean and Chinese cafes it sounds like? Are there public numbers we can look at there?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
This would be good news if it was true. They're both the same crap, but at least Dota 2 is more polished.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Looking at those specs, it's pretty clear that neither require much. Or rather, both can scale down pretty fucking low.

I wonder how bad Dota2 looks with all the graphics settings bottomed out compared to a bottomed-out LoL.

Without deviling into config files and console commands, Dota 2 as low as it goes in the settings menu:

The Menus alone are hard to read:
LowMenu.jpg

In Game:
LowInGame2.jpg

LowInGame3.jpg

LowIngame4.jpg

Higher Resolution:
LowInGameHigher.jpg

LowINGameHigher2.jpg

If you up the quality some, it doesn't look to bad:
LowInGame.jpg

Dec

So... safe to say this game would run on a toaster? PCs that aren't even that great run this higher than 60fps maxed out.

Boken

Banned
He was talking about how people leave the League client running in the background and it isn't as easy to do that with Dota because the client isn't seperate from the game itself. The League client is just an Adobe Air monstrosity.

He claimed it is a factor for why concurrent users on LoL are so high.

It's relevant because until you can just download the game freely from Steam, there is a barrier of entry that will deter a lot people. Fact is, number comparisons wont be accurate until both games are easily obtainable by anyone, weather they have friends with keys or not.
Dotagaf afks in channel all the time
/anecdote

Really, it goes from bad to OH GOD when you start messing with the 'Render Quality' Slider.

that slider is of the devil. I messed with it once just a little to see what it would do and was left shocked at how bad even a little adjusting of that thing made the game look to me.

Fivefold

Banned
Anyone have an idea on what fraction of LoL is in "the east"? Korean and Chinese cafes it sounds like? Are there public numbers we can look at there?

General assumption is that a lot of the LoL numbers come from there, but we will never get the hard data because Riot is owned by a chinese company with no interest in making that sort of information public.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I think both games will be pretty Healthy, even HoN is looking to come back strong. I can see a lot of players switching to Dota just on the promises of "No Hero Unlocks!", and I can see people staying with League for the new content every two weeks.

RedSwirl

And from what I can tell it's the PC game with the most ridiculous learning curve. I still don't understand how so many people have been able to actually put in the time to learn the game. That's like, imagine if Virtua Fighter became the most played game on XBL.

Venfayth

It's relevant because until you can just download the game freely from Steam, there is a barrier of entry that will deter a lot people. Fact is, number comparisons wont be accurate until both games are easily obtainable by anyone, weather they have friends with keys or not.

:lol Ok.

I'm sure those hundreds of thousands of players who were deterred by having to look for a key will swell up once it's released.

at all, yes it is relevant, china can't play it

in this study... sure

Yes. What I am saying is true in this thread because that's what this thread is about. Do you want me to bring up arguments for other things that this thread isn't about as well?

Uh, a barrier is a barrier. Hassle is a barrier. You'd more likely play a digital game that was already downloaded instead of going through the hassle of waiting for the download.

Or are you implying 3 million unique players is all that DotA 2 will get, since every non-Chinese person who wants to play it already does?

antitrop

DOTA 2 fans have now reached the same level of insecurity as StarCraft II fans did over the last two years towards League of Legends.

Dec

Wait so THAT's what's causing the vaseline filter in the game? Is there a reliable way to get rid of that shit?

The AA option in the game is really terrible FXAA. Turn it off cause it adds a lot of blur. Switch to SMAA for a better solution.

Venfayth

Uh, a barrier is a barrier. Hassle is a barrier. You'd more likely play a digital game that was already downloaded instead of going through the hassle of waiting for the download.

Or are you implying 3 million unique players is all that DotA 2 will get, since every non-Chinese person who wants to play it already does?

I'm saying that the number of people who are actually not going to be playing Dota 2 because of it not being 'easily downloadable' (which it is, by the way, but for the sake of argument i will say that it is not) is so small that it is not relevant in this case.

If someone wants to play Dota 2 they can. They may have to spend fifteen minutes looking for a key, but you can. Nobody who is actually knowledgeable about the current moba games will decide that they don't want to play Dota 2 because they have to acquire a key for it. That is not a logical conclusion, imo.

There is probably a group of people out there who may randomly decide to try DotA2 (via seeing it in Steam) and end up sticking with the game, but I don't think that will end up being a relevant portion of players, ESPECIALLY given the learning curve of these games.

antitrop

???

Pretty much everyone in this thread agrees that Dota 2 having more players than LoL is highly unlikely

In general, not in this thread. I'm talking as communities. Reddit, official forums mostly.

GAF is such a small and skewed portion of any of the communities that I don't place very much weight into GAF's representation of either gaming community. Especially LoL, there's a clear DOTA 2 bias on this forum. Which makes sense, DOTA is hardcore, League is casual, GAF skews hardcore. No surprises.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
One thing to point out, Valve doesn't have big "PLAY DOTA 2 NOW!!!1" Ads on Steam yet. Those things get tons of players to try out a bunch of the Free 2 Play games on Steam.

I do wonder what the upper bound is going to be. I don't see any sort of fall in numbers for the next few years for Dota, and I have no clue when LoL will reach its actual peak. HoN coming back already threw me for a loop, it is regaining a good playerbase (Though I don't see anyone talking about it, so I assume its mostly in Non-English countries), sitting at about 600k Active Players.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
HoN coming back already threw me for a loop, it is regaining numbers really fast (Though I don't see anyone talking about it, so I assume its mostly in Non-English countries)

You sure they're gaining users, last time I was on it had less than normal, they also hid the breakdown of users sometime last year.

Dec

One thing to point out, Valve doesn't have big "PLAY DOTA 2 NOW!!!1" Ads on Steam yet. Those things get tons of players to try out a bunch of the Free 2 Play games on Steam.

I do wonder what the upper bound is going to be. I don't see any sort of fall in numbers for the next few years for Dota, and I have no clue when LoL will reach its actual peak. HoN coming back already threw me for a loop, it is regaining a good playerbase (Though I don't see anyone talking about it, so I assume its mostly in Non-English countries)

The new patch is pretty substantial for HoN. Bots were one of the most requested features and it's finally in.

TommyT

I wanted to reply to this earlier but was looking for what Archie's link had:

The reason there are more LoL cosplayers is because Riot actually shows up to PAX and spends a fuckload of money on swag, contests and giveaways. And yeah, they clearly hire some cosplayers like that amazing Fiddlesticks at PAX East this year.

Valve don't really do the convention thing

Valve showed up at PAX (at least in the BYOC area where we had Steam tournaments and got some pretty cool swag: CS:GO dog tags with Steam keys). It's also rather convenient that the biggest DotA tournament in the world was being held the same time as PAX and couldn't be fit/organized into the same convention center that had a LoL tournament going on.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
You sure they're gaining users, last time I was on it had less than normal, they also hid the breakdown of users sometime last year.

No way positive, I am just going off the words of S2 Staff, and I may have misinterpreted them. Though this guy analyzing some of the available data makes it seem the game is back on a slow decline:
http://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/s...ot-getting-bigger-(statistics-of-last-30-days)

And an S2 Employee argues that its seasonal trends due to localized decline.

Nokterian

130 hours in dota 2 atm. My favorite game at the moment. I love the art in this game and the community set bundles,announcers,couriers etc. And that every hero is there to play with is a big win for me.

Munin

I still don't understand why anyone would want to play these games for more than an hour a day. Especially when the communities are made up of 14 year old idiots.

Top Bottom