• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is everybody aware how tremendously good Path of Exile is these days?

KKRT00

Yeah i never understood this argument that D3 has more active combat and you use more skills.
It was never true.

In PoE You have 5 flasks, which are active buffs, this alone trumps any build in D3, but ok, those are just buffs, but i personally have never played a build that used only one skill.
Sure you can automate stuff, instead of casting them by hand and many builds do it, but you dont have too.

My current build is using 7 active skill.
Two main skills (AOE and Single Target), one debuff, one cooldown one, one totem buffs and additional damage, and two utility skills for bosses: one for leeching life from some distance and second to generate frenzy charges on single target.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkDW2qM37Ww&t=72s

xuchu

Yeah i never understood this argument that D3 has more active combat and you use more skills.
It was never true.

In PoE You have 5 flasks, which are active buffs, this alone trumps any build in D3, but ok, those are just buffs, but i personally have never played a build that used only one skill.
Sure you can automate stuff, instead of casting them by hand and many builds do it, but you dont have too.

My current build is using 7 active skill.
Two main skills (AOE and Single Target), one debuff, one cooldown one, one totem buffs and additional damage, and two utility skills for bosses: one for leeching life from some distance and second to generate frenzy charges on single target.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkDW2qM37Ww&t=72s

I fully agree but the unfortunate thing is that for most new or prospective players watching these types of videos, flask management does not count as it isn't flashy. Hell, they simply do not notice them using flasks or things like wither totems/curses full stop. Ragdoll physics > deep, customisable builds.

bati

Thanks. Do these things become more abundant at higher levels, or is it pretty consistent from beginning to end?

Some become more common - jeweller orbs for example accumulate pretty fast if you're diligent in picking up and selling 6 socket items. And the faster you play the more raw currency you find on average. Scrolls and low level orbs generally aren't worth picking up if you're mapping at a decent pace, you can buy these in bulk from currency flippers for a few chaos in case you really need them.

Samaritan

Just got back into it because of this thread and really enjoying it. I always fell off the game when I tried it in the past, but it has its hooks in me now.

Redshirt

Banned
Heh. I won't quote everyone who quoted me for the sake of brevity... OK let me eat some words..

Yes, you can reach faster movement speeds in PoE than D3.

However...

It can't be responsiveness or speed (which are closely related)

This is what I disagreed with, which is the context of my statement.

The responsiveness, accuracy, animations of Diablo 3 are far better than PoE and make the 'gameplay' superior (at least up to the speeds D3 can reach.)

Atolm

I started playing with the Assassin/Thief class and didn't like it much.

Then I gave it another chance with the Witch and the game clicked somehow; I'm addicted. I haven't played a proper loot game since Diablo 2.

I don't know if Diablo 3 is better or worse but tbh I don't care. PoE barrier of entry is zero while I have to pay for Diablo 3.

schlynch

I just tried it (again) after the recent update and still can't get into it. It feels clunky and cheap, espacially movement and most importantly the combat. D3 was really smooth and had a good flow (same goes for Torchlight 2). But to be honest... overall I'm not that much into this kind of genre and played both games just for a short amount of time. So I can't judge the deeper mechanics and all. Going by the talent tree and the skill system PoE seems a lot more interesting... but it just feels so cheap when playing it and it's ugly too. Another downer is that you can't choose a gender for the class you want to play.

Surfinn

Only thing I will say I wish were was different.. Some move speed skills need massive reworks. Like if you're using shield charge or whirling blades for example, you almost cannot even use these skills indoors. Instead of continuing to move if you hit something that slightly blocks your path, you simply stop. For this reason alone I have to still use speed flasks, which is annoying. I hope they rework this stuff so you simply slide around objects instead of snagging on fucking everything.

The trading in this game is literally a dream by the way. Could not be more simple and easy

Jobbs

Banned
I just learned about this recently. I heard it was based off of Diablo 2 which I find interesting.

Diablo 2 was a significant part of my childhood. Diablo 3 is a filthy, rotten, stinking abortion. I'm so curious to try this.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Due to this thread I reinstalled PoE and it definitely feels like a better experience then it was before.

Question: Can I disable all the chat bullshit that's playing out on the left of the screen? It's annoying af.

Due to this thread I reinstalled PoE and it definitely feels like a better experience then it was before.

Question: Can I disable all the chat bullshit that's playing out on the left of the screen? It's annoying af.

Yes, press enter and click on "Global". That'll disable the global chat. If trade chat is activated, do the same.

I hit level 90 last night on my frost blade raider using Mathil's template. I can clear up to T12 maps easily. Getting past T13 maps (rare, corrupted) has been a struggle.

I'm at 5.1k HP, 57% evasion, 36% dodge. My DPS is solid, but occasionally I'll get one shotted.

My big issue is that I rely on cold damage, so when there's a boss that resists cold damage - I'm screwed.

What skills that meshes well with a dual wield 1-handed sword build for decent physical damage?

Mulgrok

I hit level 90 last night on my frost blade raider using Mathil's template. I can clear up to T12 maps easily. Getting past T13 maps (rare, corrupted) has been a struggle.

I'm at 5.1k HP, 57% evasion, 36% dodge. My DPS is solid, but occasionally I'll get one shotted.

My big issue is that I rely on cold damage, so when there's a boss that resists cold damage - I'm screwed.

What skills that meshes well with a dual wield 1-handed sword build for decent physical damage?

viper strike or frenzy works well with dual wield.

Johnohno

Apologies for the bump but figured this was a good place to ask. I started playing PoE tonight and I'm enjoying it so far, but I have a few questions I'm not sure about.

Loot - is there a way to quickly see at a glance whether loot is better than what you currently have equipped? I'm thinking something like the Diablo 3 arrow system, or is there nothing like that present?

Sticking with loot, are there specific armour items I should be aiming for based on my class (I'm a Ranger) or is it pretty much wear what you want as long as you're happy with the bonuses.

And finally skills - wow that skill tree is overwhelming. Anybody have any advice on good things to aim for as a Ranger? At the moment I'm level 10 and have pretty much just gone for damage and speed increases for everything. I figure if I kill them before they get to me, then I'll be okay. I imagine this will bite me in the ass as I get to a higher level though.

Any advice would be great! I'm playing on Xbox if that changes any answers.

Loot - No, you just have to look at the item and look at what you have equipped and decide for yourself.

Equipment - No, you can equip pretty much anything you want as long as you have the required stats. Generally speaking, equipment with higher LV requirements is better BUT a lower LV equipment can easily be better if it rolls great mods on it vs a high LV piece of equipment with poor mods.

Passive tree:
One, specialize. Trying to do too much is an easy way to make a horrible build.

Two, new players almost always underestimate how much life (or Energy Shield) they'll need for the endgame. Basically, you want to grab every life node that's nearby and consider pathing to more life. Even a glass cannon is going to want at least 4k-5k life by the mid endgame. More than that if you want a tank. Not only that but you're going to want at least 2 defensive systems (Armour, Evasion, Dodge, Block, Mind over Matter, Fortify, Minion Tanks) & a way to regain health (Regen, Leech, Life Gain on Hit, Boosted Flasks).

Three, when designing a build on the passive tree, never assume you'll have all 123 points since that's the points a max LV character has who didn't get any bandit-specific rewards. The highest LVs take a ton of XP to reach so you're not getting there unless you have a great build & a lot of patience. For a beginner, 90 points is a good target to shoot for since that's around the time you'll generally start the endgame - if your build isn't solid by that point, you're not going to get much further.

Defensive nodes are very important, probably most important. Dont ignore them.

Aim to cap your elemental resistances (75%). Chaos can go negative; you have flasks to offset chaos high are mostly damage over time.

Surfinn

Man.

I worked my way up from level 1, got to my first T16 map and got fucking demolished. Up until that point I was pretty much rolling over most content with no real difficulties (essence drain/Blight), but I got one shot three times I think by the boss.

I burned through all of my portals. By the time it was said and done (RIP), He was hardly at HALF HEALTH.

Shit

It's expensive doing T16 too

Man, Destiny 2 is so fucking boring. I go on since the week reset to play with some friends but all I think about is Path of Exile. It's so much more vastly rewarding.

I wonder when they're going to add guilds/chat. The game needs it.

Finaika

Man, Destiny 2 is so fucking boring. I go on since the week reset to play with some friends but all I think about is Path of Exile. It's so much more vastly rewarding.

I wonder when they're going to add guilds/chat. The game needs it.

This game is better than Destiny 2?

Mulgrok

Found a Baron helmet the other day and tried it out on a new character today. Holy heck does it make zombies hit HARD.

Found a Baron helmet the other day and tried it out on a new character today. Holy heck does it make zombies hit HARD.

Had a Baron helm drop for me as a SSF character & boy is it a powerful item. Looks like people have realized it too - it used to be a cheap item, but it looks like it goes for 40+ chaos these days in Harbinger league.

bati

40c is peanuts, I remember at the start of the league when my friend who plays hc said the helm was 8 exalts. At the time that was roughly 350c. SRS is really popular on hc and with good reason.

Surfinn

Essence drain ERASES trash, even at T16. Too bad the single target damage is so lacking
But I'm clearing shit off the screen consistently

Gator86

I put an hour and a half into this today. It seems...okay, I guess? The entire time I just kept thinking "I should play Diablo!" I don't think ant of the stuff people are hype about here shows well in such a short period of time.

The entire game has this F2P vibe with the ugly UI and the meh graphics.

Finaika

I put an hour and a half into this today. It seems...okay, I guess? The entire time I just kept thinking "I should play Diablo!" I don't think ant of the stuff people are hype about here shows well in such a short period of time.

The entire game has this F2P vibe with the ugly UI and the meh graphics.

It is a F2P game.

ArchAngel

What have you guys done to me? Played PoE many years ago when act 3 was new and unbalanced. The game was slow, looked like crap and combat had no 'impact'.

Now I saw late game videos and started it again on steam. HOLY CRAP! The first act still looks like shit, but everything else is so good. The possibilities are unbelievable thanks to the gems. The combat feels awesome and very fast... almost too fast with 60% speed boost.

Now, 60h later I'm right at the end boss (which 1hk me) and level 70. Can't wait to play again after work. This is Soo much better than before. Guys, please try it if you didn't like the old beta.

Piers

you probably have never done doublestrike + multistrike with a 2.1 attack per second sword. With all the attack speed buffs and passives you pass 50 attacks per second

And get one-shot by Part II bosses/quickly run out of potions.

Duxxy3

I love the look of it, but the lack of story telling (compared to my experience with the diablo series), the odd camera angle and the gem system put me off. It looks like a great game though. Just out of my comfort zone. I had no problem with torchlight 1 and 2, but those were really close to diablo.

What have you guys done to me? Played PoE many years ago when act 3 was new and unbalanced. The game was slow, looked like crap and combat had no 'impact'.

Now I saw late game videos and started it again on steam. HOLY CRAP! The first act still looks like shit, but everything else is so good. The possibilities are unbelievable thanks to the gems. The combat feels awesome and very fast... almost too fast with 60% speed boost.

Now, 60h later I'm right at the end boss (which 1hk me) and level 70. Can't wait to play again after work. This is Soo much better than before. Guys, please try it if you didn't like the old beta.

Did this thread get you to play the game? Glad you're enjoying it.

Top Bottom