• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is everybody aware how tremendously good Path of Exile is these days?

Yes? So why are you not playing then? It's free. As a Diablo 2 veteran, Path of Exile is the single best game in the genre I have ever played and THE continuation of the fantastic Diablo 2 I personally always wanted. The game has insane depth, great combat (yes, it's really good and responsive these days with a lot of oomph), a really good campaign, a fantastic end game, a high amount of viable builds each patch, and it's addictive as hell. It's got some downsides too, namely external trading and no or only few ways to shorten the campaign on a new character in order to reach the end game, but those should not deter you from at least giving it a try.

Personally, I mostly play solo but perhaps you can get your friends to play the game with you if that helps. People who loved D2 and have not picked up PoE are missing out big time and the others should give this free game honestly a shot. It's the best we've got so far and the effort GGG is pouring into making it a better experience is quite remarkable. However, I'd say the in-game purchases are a little pricey so beware of that. If you stick with the game, you'll probably want some of those stash tabs, but for taking a glimpse and checking whether the game is for you or not, you don't have to deal with any micro-transactions, don't worry.

Also, if you happened to try the game in 2013 or '14 and dropping it because of shit combat, TRY AGAIN. It's got almost Sega level responsiveness and satisfaction to the combat now. Combat is one of the game's strengths these days.

pitchfork

Picked it up on XB1 and i'm hooked! Was more than happy to throw some money (£15.99)at the 'First blood' bundle

I played it after the new stuff came out, and combat still feels like garbage compared to D3, IMO.

The rest of the game could be amazing, but actually playing it moment-to-moment just doesn't feel good enough for this kind of game in 2017.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
It is one of the best games of all time. Not since Diablo 2 have I spent so many consecutive hours playing a game, and the only reason why I don't play it today is because I work and study full time. Had it not been for that shit, I'd probably still be playing it ever since I started in closed beta.

Sanctuary

So I've read that it's now F2P, but how much does it actually cost to have a no frills, "complete" version of the game?

I played it after the new stuff came out, and combat still feels like garbage compared to D3, IMO.

The rest of the game could be amazing, but actually playing it moment-to-moment just doesn't feel good enough for this kind of game in 2017.

Hmm. D3 is pretty much garbage in most everything that isn't the combat, but that at least is still very satisfying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mDiT8WNMLI

Joey Ravn

Banned
I've tried the game a few times since it was released, most recently two weeks ago or so. It doesn't quite gel with me, and I honestly don't see how this is a modern Diablo 2. Titan Quest sure, but Path of Exile doesn't give me the same vibes I got from LoD back in the day. I didn't like the character development centered around gems that give you abilities and the economy based on consumables instead of a standardized currency.

I guess it's just not for me.

Zushin

So I've read that it's now F2P, but how much does it actually cost to have a no frills, "complete" version of the game?

It's always been free. It's probably one of the best and fairest F2P models. The only thing that's probably required by end game is some extra stash tabs and currency tabs. Everything else is literally cosmetic. So maybe $10-20 total.

Currency Tab + some premium stash tabs are probably mandatory if you intend to stick with the game. Something like 20 or 25 bucks? I don't really remember because I purchased the stuff years ago and it has sufficed ever since.

Gothos

That's because this game is contructed to give you an actual feel of becoming stronger. There is huge (and amazing) difference between how your character plays on lvl 1 and say, lvl 60. Guess it's not for you :)

I remember I tried it and felt overwhelmed by the amount of things going on from the inventory to the skill menus.

I prefer Diablo 3's more simplistic way of introducing you to the game and playing.

I think the best approach is always Easy to learn hard to master.

You can do everything in the game for 0$.
I would advise spending something for a premium shash tab and a currency tab if you like the game, though.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
How are enemy respawns handled these days? When I gave the game a shot, I think way back when the first AU/NZ or maybe SEA servers went live, I wasn't a fan of enemy cluster repopulation being triggered by distance rather than map re-entry. In games like Diablo I like to clear a region before moving on.

Edit: Corrected and answered.

Problem is that combat feel is actually slow at the beginning, especially if you're melee.

Endgame can be so obscenely fast paced and colorful that you'd start worrying if your PC can handle the stupid build you came up with, like:

https://youtu.be/ieNk4aNcMuY

Keinning

I detected lag on the first hits when I began the game and dropped it. Is it really that responsive? Xbox here.

Yes.
You might be thinking your missed hits are lag as well. PoE, unlike D3, have an accuracy stats so when you're "hitting the wind" and missing and the hit just "counts" later, it's not necessarily lag.

Moff

Tried it again after the last update and uninstalled after 20min.

Look, feel and gameplay are nowhere close to Diablo3.

I was hooked on it a few weekends ago. Had a really good time until the beginning of Act 6 when I realized that
Act 6+ would be recycling areas
and I lost the will to continue. Good game, though.

How are enemy respawns handled these days? When I gave the game a shot, I think way back when the first AU/NZ servers went live, I wasn't a fan of enemy cluster repopulation being triggered by distance rather than map re-entry, which bothered me as in games like Diablo I like to clear a region before moving on.

I am not sure what you mean, but there is no enemy respawn and there never has been (at least as far back as I can remember). You can fully clear a zone and no enemies will respawn unless you make a new instance of that zone like in Diablo 2.

That's not saying much. How good is it compared to Diablo 2?

It is very similar to Diablo 2. If you thought D2 was much better than D3 then you will probably love POE.

aravuus

I keep re-installing it and dropping it after the first 30 minutes lol.

Starting to get into podcasts again though, so I might try it as a podcast game.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I am not sure what you mean, but there is no enemy respawn and there never has been (at least as far back as I can remember). You can fully clear a zone and no enemies will respawn unless you make a new instance of that zone like in Diablo 2.

Music to my ears! Cheers.

Zushin

How are enemy respawns handled these days? When I gave the game a shot, I think way back when the first AU/NZ or maybe SEA servers went live, I wasn't a fan of enemy cluster repopulation being triggered by distance rather than map re-entry. In games like Diablo I like to clear a region before moving on.

Enemies don't and have never respawned unless you're out of an instance for 15 minutes.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
They're both GODLIKE, but if I truly had to rate them, it'd be like this:

Diablo 2 > Path of Exile in:
- Music
- Art style
- Combat satisfaction
- Story

Path of Exile > Diablo 2 in:
- Customization
- Content
- Community (better trading)

Pretty much an evolution of Diablo 2, which you can interpret as good or bad in many ways. Good because it takes Diablo 2, does its own soon and add systems with very obvious inspirations (FFVII Materia, FFX Sphere Grid). I think the best spin they did for the genre was to eliminate gold as the currency and replace it with consumables that act as sinks. Gold was traditionally sink for repair or gambling.

Bad, because it still retains some designs which some can view as archaic, such as no free respecs.

Hmm. D3 is pretty much garbage in most everything that isn't the combat, but that at least is still very satisfying.

Always been F2P.

No MTX gives you gameplay advantage. If you like to hoard items, then you'll buy a few stash tabs. The supporter pack gives more than enough.

More than enough character slots to play every single class.

You'll frequently see people say they buy MTX because they think GGG deserves money.

I don't think I've ever seen a game that gives so much for free. To the point I spent some money to support them because I was feeling bad of having such a great time and not spending a dime.

Jebusman

Banned
I want to love the game and played it a lot but after losing yet another lvl85+ character to server lag, i can't really play it anymore.

If PoE was available as a purely offline experience it would probably be my favorite in the genre. But playing hardcore and losing stuff completely out of your control sucks, and there's only so much suck I can take.

TGMIII

Personally I think it's leaps and bounds ahead of D2.

If there's anything PoE does poorly, it's give a bad first/early impression but I'm not sure there's much they can do there when a lot of the games enjoyment is understanding the various mechanics behind everything which can only come with time played.

I don't think I've ever seen a game that gives so much for free. To the point I spent some money to support them because I was feeling bad of having such a great time and not spending a dime.

Steam says I have close to 5000 hours (I hope a lot of this I am afk) and I think i have spent $20 on stash tabs.

I would advise to always buy supporter packs and not points directly. Supporter packs mostly have some other goodies in them but you still get points 1:1 for the price you pay.

Btt, 100% agree, playing since beta and its one of the best games Ive played in recent memory. Imo its F2P done right by an awesome developer that keeps the game fresh by constantly expanding it. Im always looking forward to return to it, try out a new build and just have fun...

xuchu

Path of exile has always been good especially after they sorted out desync on PC. However, its chief issue for new players is that it's still incredibly incredibly slow and sluggish in for first few acts. Once you hit endgame and you've made a solid build though, it's incredibly responsive and far faster than any build you'll play diablo 3. However, most new players won't ever get to that point.

In terms of build diversity, options, choice and consequence I do think it's surpassed even diablo 2 at this point.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BTS243292NE

All this and it has one of best f2p models next to dota. Everything is free outside of cosmetics and some extra stash tabs should you desire and even then you won't need them until you hit endgame and by then you'll know if you like it enough for them.

It feels like a direct continuation of Diablo 2. PoE borrowed many mechanics as well as the entire aesthetics of Diablo and turned it into a modern game. I guess D2 is the best pound for pound game in the genre ever, but PoE as a game with modern technology is obviously the way to go now. I don't see how someone who loved D2 wouldn't enjoy PoE unless their preferences have shifted entirely in past years.

I am enjoying it I need to try coop. Can anyone explain how getting uniques or rare drops works. A build I was looking at had weapons and gems I've never see

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I was SO against this game after trying it at release, mostly because the skill tree and character building is obtuse as FUCK.

However.

This is one of those games where it's 100% worth saying "fuck it", finding a budget build guide, and running with it. It lets you play the game and learn the systems while having fun. Once you've done that, I think it's fine to go out on your own. But it was hard for me to let that go at first...I wanted to do it all on my own, but the game has a huge and fantastic community that makes it so you shouldn't have to do it alone.

Zushin

Ah, apparently it used to be just eight minutes for certain areas. That's probably why I got the wrong end of the stick.

Ah yes that is some time ago. Fair enough.

Path of exile has always been good especially after they sorted out desync on PC. However, its chief issue for new players is that it's still incredibly incredibly slow and sluggish in for first few acts. Once you hit endgame and you've made a solid build though, it's incredibly responsive and far faster than any build you'll play diablo 3. However, most new players won't ever get to that point.

In terms of build diversity, options, choice and consequence I do think it's surpassed even diablo 2 at this point.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BTS243292NE

Yeah agree with what you said. Feels a lot better than D3 imo once your build is up and running properly but at the start it's a lot less satisfying. I wish people who say D3 is funner to play got to maps before judging but that's on GGG for giving away a bad first impression.

Ultrabum

One of the best games I have played. It is super addicting with many different characters and builds that play different, not just a color swap but actual mechanical changes to the combat. The different builds have actual different strengths and weaknesses.

jaosobno

I like the game, however, two things bother me. So far, seems like there is some kind of great lore in the game, however, there is almost no story to tell it. I never liked Souls-like approach that tells the story through NPC dialogue (which isn't even mandatory) and item description.

The second part is passive skill tree. Diablo 3 feels much more streamlined than PoE since there are fewer number of skills/runes and the whole skill system seems much more comprehensible. It doesn't take a genius to understand what each node does in PoE, however, the prospect of fucking up your character and not being able to respec is daunting. Sure you get few respec points, but considering that I have already spent almost 20 skill points and I have only 2 respec points, means that if I messed up my build I now have to restart the whole game and try to get it right next time. For a guy with limited play time, this is a disastrous design decision which made me quit the game.

So, yes, the game is good, a true F2P game with no hidden progress gates, but not being able to respec and do some experimentation with your build (or rectify poorly assigned skill point) is a horrible, horrible design decision.

On the other side, I very much prefer grim art style more in line with Diablo 1&2 than coloring book that Diablo 3 is. Combat feels decent but Diablo 3 is better.

dieter

Neo Member
Xbox player here, loved diablo 3 and this nicely scratches that itch. I'm about 20 hours in and completed Act 3. No slowdowns or performance issues at all, played a bit 4 player coop, and the rest single player and it has been great. Definitely the best free to play game I've ever played, I'll probably buy the starter pack just to support the devs, but I really don't feel like I need the extra stash tab yet.

I'd highly recommend it.

Top Bottom