• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is everybody aware how tremendously good Path of Exile is these days?

I've played several hours of the beta and i had no idea it seemed endless, so i levelled quite a bit and i've done quite a few quests too. Now i have to do it all over again and right now i just can't bring myself to do that. I also find it becoming extremely repetitive after a while, so maybe i'm doing something wrong or perhaps it's just not my cup of tea after all. I also find that skills menu/wheel rather overwhelming and that doesn't easily happen to me.

So far i wouldn't call my experience amazing or anything. But that's just me.

Its possible the genre isnt for you as the whole genre relies on it being "endless" essentially. The drive is in the loot.

danowat

Banned
I've played several hours of the beta and i had no idea it seemed endless, so i levelled quite a bit and i've done quite a few quests too. Now i have to do it all over again and right now i just can't bring myself to do that. I also find it becoming extremely repetitive after a while, so maybe i'm doing something wrong or perhaps it's just not my cup of tea after all. I also find that skills menu/wheel rather overwhelming and that doesn't easily happen to me.

So far i wouldn't call my experience amazing or anything. But that's just me.

The game opens up a little bit over time, it's a bit of a slow burn, but it does scratch a very specific itch, I am only now, after 16hrs, realising the scope of the game..

I don't think the gameplay is skill based, which could lead to the comparisons with a clicker, but the skill comes in your build, and honing said build.

Obviously not for everyone, lots of crafting, tweaking and grinding, so if that's not your bag, I can see why you might not like it.

Logsi

My only gripe with this game is that there isn' a PS4 version.

Loved it so much on PC but would love some couch co-op of this with my better half.

Keinning

My only gripe with this game is that there isn' a PS4 version.

Loved it so much on PC but would love some couch co-op of this with my better half.

Blame Sony for not getting in contact with GGG like Microsoft did

And even in the eventual PS4 release in the future, i don't think couch co-op will be a thing

xuchu

Summoners unite and
make your computer explode
:

BlondFilthyBlackrhino-size_restricted.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWjUmM2f53A&t=1s

Logsi

Blame Sony for not getting in contact with GGG like Microsoft did

And even in the eventual PS4 release in the future, i don't think couch co-op will be a thing

I thought it was something to do with how reliant on Direct X the game is that prohibited it also?

flkraven

playing the shit out of this on Xbox One. I was addicted to D2 when I was a kid, so this is right up my alley. I'm level 38 and I am SHOCKED by how much content there seems to be. I'm never bored and there are always interesting things to do. Likewise, I think I have plenty more acts to play, where as in D2 I would have already beaten the game on 'normal' by now.

Anyone on Xbox add me. I foresee myself playing this for a while, especially since it's perfect to play while watching football.

GT: flkRaven

Kaleinc

Banned
I wanted to give it a try but heard the pop up messages that often contain spoilers within player names etc can't be disabled, not worth it.

xuchu

I wanted to give it a try but heard the pop up messages that often contain spoilers within player names etc can't be disabled, not worth it.

Of course they can be disabled. You simply uncheck global and trade chat.

Elandyll

Banned
I read it doesn't have local coop on console?

If so I'll probably pass unless it is added down the road (and when if it eventually gets on PS4).

It's free though, so might still give it a try on PC, but Wife and I had tons of fun (moreso than on pc's online) with D3's local coop mode.

Keinning

what

never seen a single popup so far so i guess its disabled on my end. also i cant imagine how you could be 'spoiled' on PoE since its so light on storytelling if you don't go out of your way to read the lore stuff and talk to people

I read it doesn't have local coop on console?

It doesn't
They said they were looking towards it but it seems like it wont be a thing for a long time

what

never seen a single popup so far so i guess its disabled on my end. also i cant imagine how you could be 'spoiled' on PoE since its so light on storytelling if you don't go out of your way to read the lore stuff and talk to people

At the beginning of this season, names popped up when they accomplished something like reaching level 100 or what have you. One of the names was a GoT season 7 spoiler. I remember that too clearly, sadly. Not quite sure if you can disable these. I have never seen another pop-up like that though. Then again, perhaps people accomplished everything accomplishable within the first few days, no clue.

Orgun

Of course they can be disabled. You simply uncheck global and trade chat.

They're on about the league first notifications which can't currently be turned off even with chat disabled.

Those won't be displaying anymore as pretty much everything has been done for the first time in this league.

Spoilers for what? Something like this : Harry Potter Spoiler
Dumbledore_Dies was the first character to enter the Mud Flats
?

I hate these popups anyways, but they only happen the first few days of a new league (Leagues are usually 3 months long) and even then I currently have never seen a spoiler for anything in my 5 years of playing.

Keinning

At the beginning of this season, names popped up when they accomplished something like reaching level 100 or what have you. One of the names was a GoT season 7 spoiler. I remember that too fondly, sadly. Not quite sure if you can disable these. I have never seen another pop-up like that though. Then again, perhaps people accomplished everything accomplishable within the first few days, no clue.

Ahhh, spoilers for other things. I get it.

I guess these things still happens. I remember seeing something like "xxxx reached level 100" iirc. It's not very common though.

diablogod

Pumped in like 175 hours since this new season released. It truly is the Diablo 2 successor for me. If you liked Diablo 2 at all I can't see how you wouldn't find this game deeply satisfying. I've tossed GGG probably 100-120 bucks at this point on stash tabs and currency tabs. Each of the 4 seasons I've played I try to throw them 30 bucks because the game is so damn good.

Justinh

I keep trying it and playing it for a while on PC, but for some reason I always just bounce off it after a while. I started playing it on Xbox One, so I'm hoping I'll actually stick with it this time. Weird though, as I prefer clicking in games like this (like Diablo 3) being able to simply sit back with a controller encourages me to play more, even if I miss clicking.

I got the first blood thingy and 10 or 20 dollars worth of other stuff.

I enjoyed my time with PoE, but I still have yet to this day to get past Act 2. It just ends up feeling like a slog and I end up quitting.

Its possible the genre isnt for you as the whole genre relies on it being "endless" essentially. The drive is in the loot.

The game opens up a little bit over time, it's a bit of a slow burn, but it does scratch a very specific itch, I am only now, after 16hrs, realising the scope of the game..

I don't think the gameplay is skill based, which could lead to the comparisons with a clicker, but the skill comes in your build, and honing said build.

Obviously not for everyone, lots of crafting, tweaking and grinding, so if that's not your bag, I can see why you might not like it.

While i do like all those things in a RPG, i'm not yet sure about this one. I did enjoy the beta but i also noticed i kept waiting for a change, for something else to happen. The combat started to become repetitive for me as well. But this time i chose a Shadow, so that should mean i can switch magic up with a bit of melee. I'll pick it up again after i'm done with Borderlands 2 probably.

It's the best loot game I've ever played for sure. I actually liked Diablo 3 quite a lot, but the actual power progression in Path of Exile is so much better than the combat feeling exactly the same at all times. Nice to actually feel more powerful in one of these games again. I went from slowly shooting a regular bow and being careful about letting enemies too close to rapid-firing a fucking machine gun bow and running up on dudes to chain lightning through groups of them and blowing them apart. I've still got plenty of game to play too which is the most exciting thing.

This will be my loot game for a long while, I believe.

Eridani

Did they ever improved the combat and fixed the rubber banding when there's a lot of action on the screen ?

They fixed the rubber banding. You can now pick between 2 different networking modes, and one of them is completely rubber band free. The combat gets much better later on.

BiggNife

I thought it was common knowledge that PoE is really good now. It's consistently in the top 15 games on Steam (and that's not counting people playing outside of steam, of which there is probably a significant amount) and the XBO release got some buzz.

Pretty much every Diablo fan I know has switched to PoE because they've been way better about content updates lately than Blizzard has. Even people who were kind of down on the game at launch have gotten into it now.

KorrZ

Fantastic game. So happy to have discovered it this year.

I've put in over 200 hours in the past 3 months, and I've rolled 5 characters to level 70+. The amount of variety in the builds you can create is just amazing, and it's actually fun leveling up and seeing the builds come to fruition as the power level scales dramatically.

The end game on it's own is extremely addicting and I can spend hours at a time just running the maps for drops.

Current character is a Scion (Elementalist/Deadeye) Kinetic Blast wander and it's the most fun I've had yet.

xuchu

I understand it's not chat but system notification eg 'player game of thrones spoiler reached level 50'

Actually here it is mentioned in PoE OT
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=245430009&postcount=113

Ah I see.

Most, if not all, the league first notifications should be done at this point though.

But yeah sucks that people would actually put spoilers as their names as the best time in leagues is the start as players all start with nothing and you get to participate in a growing trading economy.

Syril

Ah I see.

Most, if not all, the league first notifications should be done at this point though.

But yeah sucks that people would actually put spoilers as their names as the best time in leagues is the start as players all start with nothing and you get to participate in a growing trading economy.
They should have the option to turn those off as long as they have the options to turn off literally every other notification and chat message.

Jolkien

They fixed the rubber banding. You can now pick between 2 different networking modes, and one of them is completely rubber band free. The combat gets much better later on.

Good to know, I should try and make some time to revisit it again.

Sarcasm

Tell me which because I get stutter from ms jumping between 64ms to 120ms. Its stupid.

Doesn't help they (GGG) are sell outs in my region and sold the game to ad ridden spyware ridden company and I can't even use my backer status stuff as it requires a new account on it.

I've dabbled with it on and off over the years but it has sunk into me real deep for the last.. 70 hours in 10 days. Helps my brother has 1000+ hours in it and is explaining a lot to me.

The game is absolutely fucking awesome and the depth and scope of the post game is really wonderful.

unrealist

I played D3 tons and can say PoE was the more fun game for me. I think it has less meta/fotm builds (not that it doesn't) and it is the best ARPG that handle summoners the best. The extent of customisation is really huge and it is really good for those who love to min max their builds.

Eridani

Tell me which because I get stutter from ms jumping between 64ms to 120ms. Its stupid.

Doesn't help they (GGG) are sell outs in my region and sold the game to ad ridden spyware ridden company and I can't even use my backer status stuff as it requires a new account on it.

You can read about it on the wiki. Basically, predictive is the old one, which can desync and rubber band you. Lockstep is the new one, which is always in sync, but stutters with high ping.

jotun?

No respec is probably fine if you look up build guides or have been playing long enough to actually know what you're doing

But it's a huge turn-off for new players to see this gigantic skill tree, and know that you have no idea what you're doing yet, so your first character is almost guaranteed to turn out shitty

Been having a lot of fun. Just not a fan of the currency crap.

Also maybe I can try and change servers still can't use my second set of skills on xbox version.

I really like PoE and I want to give the developers money.... but I don't like any of the micro transaction stuff....

Do you want to turn that green effect spell blue? not really
Do you want to turn your zombies into mummies? no
Want a pet? Sure don't
Do you like hideous armor? nope
Stash tabs? I haven't even filled one tab yet.

GGG please help me out here, I want to give you my money.

Redshirt

Banned
No respec is probably fine if you look up build guides or have been playing long enough to actually know what you're doing

But it's a huge turn-off for new players to see this gigantic skill tree, and know that you have no idea what you're doing yet, so your first character is almost guaranteed to turn out shitty

It definitely is a turn off for new players, but it's not really that bad and having the right mindset can go a long way.

Save your gear as you're developing your character or even following guide. If you find you made a mistake that can't be undone with respect points, just re-roll.

Leveling is pretty fast in PoE and even faster when you already have gear, currency and so forth.

This process is also really rewarding and kind of what made the lights go on for me.

I really like PoE and I want to give the developers money.... but I don't like any of the micro transaction stuff....

Want a pet? Sure don't

Tabs are great and you will fill your tabs fast endgame (if you are a hoarder like me). I recommend the currency tab! There must be some armors/character effects/ weapon effects you think look cool. There are hundreds!

Like these wings! They look cool in action.
DarknessScreenshot.png

Kuosi

Want a pet? Sure don't

oh you'll be wanting those tabs soon enough, especially currency, divination tab is swell too

Want a pet? Sure don't

I had filled 3 of my tabs before hitting post game. When you are swimming in maps, offerings, other weird post game shit, uniques etc you will absolutely want more tabs.

Hell, if you want to throw them some cash just get a currency tab because it is VERY VERY useful.

I thought it was something to do with how reliant on Direct X the game is that prohibited it also?

There are many reasons, but when asked why is this Xbox and not PS4, GGG stated that a Microsoft developer came up to them one day and was a huge supporter/fan and asked if the game can come to Xbox. It took a lot of work getting it done for console but they are extremely proud of it and have a metric shit ton of content and updates planned for Xbox. Microsoft also helped them with optimization, etc.

Top Bottom