• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys Community Thread | "Do you know the name Adol Christin?"

ban25

Subscribed.

Memories of Celceta was excellent! I'm currently playing through Origin, though slowly since I rarely have time to play on PC.

I actually prefer Origin to Oath.

*gets beaten to death*

I'd say Oath is overall a bit more entertaining with the exception of a certain boss, merit of a really good soundtrack and fantastic world and combat design, but Yunica is def the goat Y's character, she is waifu material.

Aeana

Oh wow, that FMV shot from the PS2 version of Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim looks just awful. Never knew that(and was glad I didn't).

At least the PC version is awesome and together with Origins, they are my favorite Ys games.
Seven is the worst game so far which is no suprise, considering it wasn't developed for PC. But the characters are somehow bad as well...

Haven't played Ys: Foliage Ocean in Celceta yet...and the screenshots don't look too inviting. Sigh, I guess they lost their way.
They had trouble with Vita development to start with. The Vita version of Sen no Kiseki shows that they've got a handle on it now, so if Ys 8 is for Vita, it should look pretty good.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I'd say Oath is overall a bit more entertaining with the exception of a certain boss, merit of a really good soundtrack and fantastic world and combat design, but Yunica is def the goat Y's character, she is waifu material.

tJD7928.gif

The game seems to look better on PC from the videos i saw of it (played it on my psp), the psp also suffers from some framerate drop during the last boss fight (at least i only noticed some there, only happens with one of his attack if the screen is too busy).

Can you get PSP games to play in 60fps on ppsspp? That'd really be the way to play it I think.

jluedtke

I guess this would be a better place to ask than the PC engine thread:

Playing the Dawn of Ys fan dub/translation on actual hardware shouldnt tax the laser any more than normal right? I havent heard anyone complaining about it, but then there are usually rumors that using CD-Rs on older CD systems works the laser more than it should...or something to that effect.

This is actually a topic that gets debated a lot in the PCE/TG16 community. Some claim CDRs damage the system, some claim that's BS. I'm no technical expert, but based on my own experience...

Back in 2001, I had a brand new TurboDuo that I bought from Turbo Zone Direct. About a year later, I started playing a handful of games on CDR. After about an hour of playtime, the laser went kaput. Fortunately, I was able to track down a replacement laser mechanism and install it (which was kind of easy, surprisingly). But ever since then, I'll never let a CDR near either of my Duos.

If you want to use a CDR to play a translation patch, I would recommend installing Magic Engine.

Levyne

Banned
While I really hope it doesn't overwhelm the conversation with this stuff:

I really liked Epona's design and her character compared to a lot of the other Ys girls.

Lucumo

They had trouble with Vita development to start with. The Vita version of Sen no Kiseki shows that they've got a handle on it now, so if Ys 8 is for Vita, it should look pretty good.

Well, that explains one side somewhat then(still, damn them for abandoning the PC).

For the characters, there is no excuse though. Just look at what John Kowalski wrote. What happened to the pure adventures? Why did some annoying kid and a generic princess had to follow me? Some sick, mute kid picking flowers? Leave me alone, this is super cliché and for me isn't what Ys once was.

Psxphile

Are Oath and Origin the only Ys of their kind? I tried Celceta and had to return it because it was so bad, and I'm not a fan of the bump system in 2 on Steam.

Try out Ark of Napishtim.

Damn PC version not released in America :(

Best way to play Ys VI is to import the PC version and install the translation patch.

The PC is the best way to play Napishtim imo.
Import a copy and apply the fan translation patch for the ultimate Napishtim experience.

such a hassle. I'll look into it

So I've played Origin through V but I stopped there for the time being because I don't know which version of VI to play. So which is the best? From what I can tell from interneting, the PC version is the best but that's not available here in the US. So I only get to choose between PSP and PS2. I hear the PSP version is closest to the PC version but it has shit dumb load times. And the PS2 version seems to be all polygonal which I'm not really into... And neither version seems to have the blood splatters after killing enemies.

So, if I had to choose one, which should I go with?

Or do you think XSEED will be able to get the PC version on Steam sometime within the next year?

Only XSEED can save us from this quagmire.

I love the trials added to the PS2 version.

n3LDjYM.jpg

It has its charms. Shame it can never be canon.

Holy crap an Ys community thread! Sweet.

I've played I, Seven, Oath, and most of Celceta (I've gotta go back to it still). It sounds like Origin is pretty popular here. I own it on Steam but haven't given it a go yet so I guess I should look in to doing so.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Are we really going there?

elenafromys3felghanazz5.png

Yeah, but she's a babe.

Kinda wish Oath and Origin would come out on GOG sometime. XSEED suggested that the games were on the way back in like... November, but nothing's happened since. DRM-free Ys would be nice.

and I'd also like Ys VI PC to get a US release, while I'm working on this wishlist.

Holykael1

Banned
Im going to list my Ys games starting from favourites to least favourites, one post for each game with my thoughts on it. Im doing this and my favourite tracks from each game at the same time(no arranged versions allowed for this post, vanilla OST versions only.). Will probably post these on a daily basis until I run out of games.

Nº1
ys-seven-boxart.jpg

I played this after the already stellar Ys I and II chronicles and the godlike Oath in Felghana himself but Ys Seven managed to ascend to a even higher plane of existence(Okay im going to stop with this weird speech).
The reasons why I love Ys Seven so much(It's my favourite ARPG of all time I might add) are as follows:

- In my personal opinion the best OST in the entire series(why? because it has the highest amount of AWESOMENESS in relation to the amount of tracks in the overall OST), perhaps a little audio persuasion might be appropriate here:
Desert Of Despair - This is only one of the most badass desert themes ever, only second to Silent Sands.
To Reveal The Way to Go - One of the standout overworld themes from the entire series. Dat violin..
Spoiler boss song,click at own risk - It needs no introduction.
Isolated Island Consigned to Oblivion - Excellent atmosphere in this dungeon, this place is very relevant plot wise and this track does it justice, especially starting at 1:40 .. So good.
Crossing Rage - YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!
Palace Of Reticent Lava - I really dig the piano bits and for some reason this track gives me the feels.
Road to Solitary Death - Another excellent track.

- Fastest and most furious combat in the entire series, also my personal favourite, love the party system. I could not believe that it was going to get faster than Oath already was. Switching between party members is snappy, spam dodging while unleashing constant strings of skills is incredibly fun. This is speed, responsiveness and addictiveness all rolled into one. It had some issues like way too many skills and many of them ended up being a little useless and generally less challenge than the platformer Ys games(It's recommended to play on Hard/no healing items to replicate the Oath in Felghana experience with Ys Seven's mechanics which are imo superior).

- A surprisingly good story, the characters are nothing to write home about but they are certainly not bad. The actual plot itself has some genuinely shocking and interesting twists like
Tia is behind it all and Adol's Torture midgame sequence just to name a few
. Loved it, it was extremely well paced, it never got old and it kept me engaged throughout the 24 hours I spent with the game. I still don't know if I think Oath/Origin surpass it in this regard but they are certainly close.

Closing remarks: It was the most addictive, engaging and fast paced entry in the series for me, I didnt think it was going to get any better than Oath but it did. Love everything about the game from the music, narrative and combat. Lore/Setting wise it's also one of the better games in the series. Game looks gorgeous on PPSSPP with the upscaled resolutions(Buy a copy first naturally, XSeed deserves it!).

Mmm... Feena... Er, I meant Ys.

I've beaten a lot of games (not every version though!) and Felghana is probably still my favourite.

Ys SEVEN was nice, but I wasn't a fan of the party system nor the removal of the jump button (although none of the earlier games had it).

I feel weird for saying this, but Nayuta no Kiseki was my favourite recent "Ys" game.

linkboy

Ys went from being a series I knew nothing about, to one of my favorites, thanks to the PS2 version of Napishtim (really wish XSEED could get the PC version up on Steam).

I'm finishing up Memories of Celceta and I've enjoyed every minute of it.

Only one I haven't beat is YS V, but I'm not sure if I could trudge through the SNES game, which just feels slow to me, since I know it's going to get a remake eventually.

Wagram

I own every Ys game except V but haven't gotten to them all. Thus far out of the ones i've played I enjoy them as followed:

Oath in Felghana > Origins > Celceta > Napishtim > Seven

Still got to get to the other ones.

Huh - I have been researching these games the last few weeks thinking that I would like to give them a try. I've been hearing about the games since the heyday of CD ROM games in the early 90s but have never played any. I've been hankering for some old school action and I'm a Vita owner so ....

Looks like through PSP emu and native games I can play Ys 1, 2, 3, 4 & 7, correct? I'm really interested in playing the original two games through the PSP release.

Holykael1

Banned
Huh - I have been researching these games the last few weeks thinking that I would like to give them a try. I've been hearing about the games since the heyday of CD ROM games in the early 90s but have never played any. I've been hankering for some old school action and I'm a Vita owner so ....

Looks like through PSP emu and native games I can play Ys 1, 2, 3, 4 & 7, correct? I'm really interested in playing the original two games through the PSP release.

Yes you are correct.

carlos

Add me to the list of Ys fans, I 've played every one except 5, but that fan translation is tempting....
oh and have yet to play the vita game, too much ps+ backlog at the moment.

Really enjoyed both versions of Ys 4 , and I heard the celceta remake is in the Ys7 style, which I liked.

Soup Bar

The PS2 version of Ys VI isn't bad. There's a cheat code so you can play it in Japanese and English subs, with the original anime opening. I wouldn't mind an official English PC version though.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Hudson knew what was up. Lilia is Adol's One True Waifu, and the reason why Dawn of Ys is the best Ys and the true Ys canon, even if Falcom disagrees and ignores it forever. :)

Honestly I think I+II and PCE IV are the best games in the series. Complete/Chonicles is incredible and in my opinion the best place for anyone to start, although I will always have love for the PCE version too. Bump combat is great, feeling more like a kind of jousting where its all about maneuvering and positioning yourself at the best angle. Oath and Origin are a tossup for me. I kind of feel like I enjoy the bump combat in the originals as far as regular mobs go (these games feel really mashy in comparison), but the bosses are where they shine. Totally amazing.

I never played 5+6 and I just can't get in to 7+Celceta. I don't mind having maybe 2 or 3 playable characters, but I'd prefer it if you just picked one that you stuck with and balance the game in unique ways around each one like Origin.

So cool to hear the hardcore fans here speak highly of the bump combat. That's encouraging for a newbie like me who wants to start with I+II. Lots of times the conventional wisdom seems to be that it's too archaic for newcomers.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
We're a rare breed, but we do exist. :)
I think when most people recommend newcomers to start with a newer game they make the assumption that the newcomer has only a transitory and fleeting interest, and an unconventional system like bumping would turn them off immediately. If you're seriously interested in the series and already have a good idea what they're about, you'll probably have a great time with I+II. No reason to start anywhere else, and it will make playing games like Origin that much better if you're familiar with the world and characters of the original.

I'd get Chronicles+ instead of the PSP version if you don't mind playing on PC though. They're mostly the same, but the larger FOV on the PC is a pretty big deal.

apricot

thread needs more husbandos

Ozma.png

edit:
So cool to hear the hardcore fans here speak highly of the bump combat. That's encouraging for a newbie like me who wants to start with I+II. Lots of times the conventional wisdom seems to be that it's too archaic for newcomers.

I started with Ys I+II myself just last year! I LOVED it, so don't listen to the crazies that say it's too archaic. If you think you'll dig it, go for it! (I'm not saying it's for everyone, though)

Stay open minded and you will love it, Ys 2 is amazing.

Psxphile

Ah, I just remembered. Amazon finally shipped my copy of Ys The Art Book after being backordered since December and it came just a few days ago:

Thanks to another GAF thread I was able to use a promo code to shave a few bucks off the listed price when I placed the order, my final total came out to just a little over $28, shipping included.

The book is very nice: over 270 pages of luscious, glossy art. Fortunately it's all translated so I can read all the little captions and notes on the concept arts. Other than that there's very little text at all. Shame about there being absolutely nothing on either Mask of the Sun or Dawn of Ys, instead choosing to focus on Memories of Celceta. Oddly enough they devoted a few pages to Ys Vs. Sora No Kiseki despite it being an offshoot non-canonical entry. Well, it did have Elena so I'll allow it.

The Ys V concept art was super interesting:
Niena was originally going to be an 8 year old throughout the story, and Dogi would have stayed behind w/ Effey at the end of the game.

Funny how things turn out.

I'd like her design more if she didn't look like she was about to go out and milk the cows or something. And I just noticed this, but why did they give her oven mitts?

Only a down-home country farm gal like Yunica can swing a mean axe like it was a baton and ream demons down the middle without breaking a sweat. The oven mitts I imagine are for the callouses she evidently develops during hot-blooded battles if she didn't wear them.

cj_iwakura

I've played everything but V, Origin, and Seven, and for me it's Oath > II > I > Celceta >Wanderers. Oath in Felghana is fantastic.

Also, the journal in Celceta's LE describes his many girls as lost acquaintances, so I figure he's a "love'em&leave'em" type of guy.

We're a rare breed, but we do exist. :)
I think when most people recommend newcomers to start with a newer game they make the assumption that the newcomer has only a transitory and fleeting interest, and an unconventional system like bumping would turn them off immediately. If you're seriously interested in the series and already have a good idea what they're about, you'll probably have a great time with I+II. No reason to start anywhere else, and it will make playing games like Origin that much better if you're familiar with the world and characters of the original.

I'd get Chronicles+ instead of the PSP version if you don't mind playing on PC though. They're mostly the same, but the larger FOV on the PC is a pretty big deal.

I'ld say that if your interested in RPG's and looking for something short and sweet to start you off gently, Ys I is almost the perfect beginner RPG, story isn't too long, game can be completed in a day or two and has a cliffhanger clearly leading into the next game too.

I've only played Ys I, I was in a car accident at the end of last year, and Ys went on sale just as I was starting to recover from my injuries. The steam thread seemed excited about it, and I was looking for something I could easilly play, and Ys I ticked all those boxes, possibly the first proper RPG I've actually bothered to finish, I then followed that up by playing and finishing Final Fantasy I last week.

Started Ys II but I tend to have a habit of starting games and putting them down for a while before getting back to them. But looking forward to starting it proper as people seem to have a higher opinion of Ys II

Top Bottom