• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVII| New Generation - Connection To Haters Was Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marvel

could never
Indeed.
the back forward xx imput is weakening online by the second. to clarify.
Btw my shhh comment was meant as a thought about not giving Capcom any ideas to nerf him lol. It came off weird in text.

We gotta just keep saying he is shit even if he isn't and hope for mad op buffs. Infinite vtrigger pls

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Btw my shhh comment was meant as a thought about not giving Capcom any ideas to nerf him lol. It came off weird in text.

We gotta just keep saying he is shit even if he isn't and hope for mad op buffs. Infinite vtrigger pls

Lol. It's cool dude. I don't think he's really a huge worry on anyone's radar.

vulva

They made his jumps worse in S2. And back dashes only works in such a rare occasions.
I just checked and jump back os would tech the regular throw and if they went for a command grab then you'd be able to get a full punish because of the crazy recovery frames. So that's two options covered in a better way than just jumping back.

chriskun

Played a bunch of sets against a friends balrog and man is that character bullshit. You can be winning a round with balrog at a pixel and be dead in two sequences. I can't believe they arent nerfing him.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Whoa. Didn't even know she could do that. *makes mental note*

so who is the best Kolin at this moment--or is too early to even know yet?

(also her forward walk is the shit. i have stalked turtlers with her and i'm pretty sure it unnerves them to see her swag.)

Poongko got to grand finals of a chinese tournament and put in a real close set with Xian using Kolin.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Anyone got any tips for pressuring with Kolin? Her normals are so stubby that I feel like I get pushed out of range after like three buttons and have to give up my turn without accomplishing anything.

Most of the characters in the game have this problem tbh. You need to be threatening with tick throws to make them eat frametraps.

While on the subject, any idea how to approach the Guile matchup with Kolin? Feels really rough.

remz

Most of the characters in the game have this problem tbh. You need to be threatening with tick throws to make them eat frametraps.

While on the subject, any idea how to approach the Guile matchup with Kolin? Feels really rough.

You can use ex dash punch to blow through booms but it's kinda risky... if you drop her projectile on his head sometimes that can work in your favor. I probably have the most trouble with guile out of any character tho

I'm trying some "new" things with Nash, working on my fundamentals among other things and just remembered the rhythm of his combos I used when I was learning how to do combos in general. Somehow I forgot it and started working from timing and feel alone. I feel like never properly knowing the correct timing from having a rhythm of some moves in a combo caused me to mash it out.

HP to Sonic Boom or MP to Sonic Scythe for instance should sound like "tika-tac" on the stick with the rotation of the stick in-between the two sounds. It comes out reliably every time as long as I rotate the stick to a full quarter circle, which I have problems with sometimes.

Now I can calmly hit -> HP+HK to teleport and extend the combo instead of mashing it and ending up with a sore arm at the end of the day. I just have to keep this up under pressure.

I'm a noob scrub but do you guys use sounds and rhythms like this to keep your combos tight? Is this something I could rely on for every character to some degree? I know not all of Nash's combos work this way. That delay between c.HP and MP is something I have to feel for.

For combos, I split them up in pieces until I can do each piece three times without fault, and then I start adding pieces to it. That way I'm not getting burnt out trying to do longer shit and it helps me because my execution is shit.

Played a bunch of sets against a friends balrog and man is that character bullshit. You can be winning a round with balrog at a pixel and be dead in two sequences. I can't believe they arent nerfing him.

Rog is crazy. Who do you play? Rog can't do shit on wakeup so you can bully him all day. If your friend is tagging you with the OH reset and you have a 3f jab, you can mash it and push him out even if he goes for the low. Space out his dash punches as well.

If your friend can't AA - and I say this because a lot of Rogs I've met are super focused on the ground game - vary up some jumps. He's got great options but I hardly see land them as much as they should.

Rog is a headache because it requires me to constantly keep track of how much damage I've taken and adjust accordingly. I basically try to play safe so that if he does tag me in v-trigger I have a fighting chance after the duffs.

Oh, and neutral jump and make him eat that missed dash punch.

Here's Brian F's video on how his dumb mixups work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILoRo2PH-Q4

Yeah, it's just difficult because basically every single one of her buttons puts her out of grab range on block. It's not like when I'm playing Mika or Urien and can do two, even three normals and still be close enough to threaten with a tick throw.

I've been watching a bunch of Poongko matches tonight though and I think I'll start adopting some of his neutral habits as my own if possible. He fishes for counterhits with sMK a lot despite the button being -2 on block, and his use of normals cancelled into LP/EX Hailstorm to lock down the opponent's options both strike me as tools I should be using more.

It really depends on how turtle-y they're being, but I seem to find that making a few hard reads with LK Vanity Step > LP to punish Sonic Boom spam forces them to be a bit less haphazard about chucking out projectiles. Abusing the double-jump to vault over projectiles can be useful as well, especially at closer proximities where it'll put you just out of range of late Flash Kicks and crHP anti-airs.

If you have the meter to burn, EX MK Vanity Step and EX Hailstorm are great ways to make a clean approach as one plows right through his booms to put you on offense and the other forces him to sit still while you gain some ground or else take a chunk of damage. Also, it goes without saying, but be sure not to let up once you have offensive momentum. In my experience a lot of Guiles get really fidgety with their buttons once you're in their face so don't be afraid to toss out the occasional V-Skill to make sure he keeps his hands to himself.

chriskun

For combos, I split them up in pieces until I can do each piece three times without fault, and then I start adding pieces to it. That way I'm not getting burnt out trying to do longer shit and it helps me because my execution is shit.

Rog is crazy. Who do you play? Rog can't do shit on wakeup so you can bully him all day. If your friend is tagging you with the OH reset and you have a 3f jab, you can mash it and push him out even if he goes for the low. Space out his dash punches as well.

If your friend can't AA - and I say this because a lot of Rogs I've met are super focused on the ground game - vary up some jumps. He's got great options but I hardly see land them as much as they should.

Rog is a headache because it requires me to constantly keep track of how much damage I've taken and adjust accordingly. I basically try to play safe so that if he does tag me in v-trigger I have a fighting chance after the duffs.

Here's Brian F's video on how his dumb mixups work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILoRo2PH-Q4
I play ryu, but I switched to gief and vega tonight and while Im not nearly as profiscient with them it felt even more lopsided at times when rog pops his vtrigger. Its sad because those matchups are supposed to be in their favor. Why does he get pressure off of throws also, after every throw he gets a mixup between throw and rh. It doesn't make any sense when they took away those tools from the rest of the cast basically.

Marvel

could never
Errrr I just booted up and yesterday I had 3500 LP, but this morning I am back at 3800 the amount I had right before I moved house.

Haven't played Ranked in 2months lol

Finally a good thing to come from a server bug!

I logged back in and got 190 plus LP. Capcom what?
Backlogged from June. Just getting it now.
Errrr I just booted up and yesterday I had 3500 LP, but this morning I am back at 3800 the amount I had right before I moved house.

Haven't played Ranked in 2months lol

Finally a good thing to come from a server bug!

Apparently they re-calculated our LPs based on match records as part of this maintenance, to fix previous mistakes:

Fixed a problem
About the trouble that LP does not fluctuate after the match,
After December 21, 2016 "LP" was recalculated based on fight history data up to Maintenance for Fighter's ID logged in "Street fighter ∨".

* By this recalculation, LP will not decrease compared to the state before main maintenance.
※ As a result of recalculation, LP etc etc does not change Fighter's ID also.

http://game.capcom.com/cfn/sfv/systemfault/131588

Spuck-uk

Banned

Be careful with the ranges you neutral jump at, a good Rog player will reaction punish that from half screen with his uppercut

FluxWaveZ

I didn't get anything. Makes sense, since I lose about a million points anytime I lose now, so I'm guessing I would have been set for a reduction.

thelastword

Banned
I got an extra 1170+ lp, but I won many games where I never got lp and I've been quitted on many times too....I went from 4303 - 5475

I really have to stop playing 2-3 bars though, I lose so many points playing these guys...or when my connection is acting up....

nvm now I keep getting matched up with a Zangief who seems to be capable of making psychic reads 100% of the time and I would like to go back to the Guile now

except backdash and jump and Super.

Nah, if he times his meaty grab right it can beat backdash (unless I've just been timing mine horribly all this time) so really all I've got are jump and super, both of which put me right back in the blender if I guess wrong (and one of which is only available in the unlikely occasion that I've been just stocking up on EX meter instead of using it for what paltry combo ability I have).

It's rough. It's really really rough.

FluxWaveZ

Nah, if he times his meaty grab right it can beat backdash (unless I've just been timing mine horribly all this time) so really all I've got are jump and super, both of which put me right back in the blender if I guess wrong (and one of which is only available in the unlikely occasion that I've been just stocking up on EX meter instead of using it for what paltry combo ability I have).

It's rough. It's really really rough.

This is no different from any other character who doesn't have proper reversal options.

A backdash will beat a meaty command grab 100% of the time. A command grab isn't meaty if it is catching a backdash. It means that the Gief is delaying their command grab if they catch you in that movement, which means it can't be meaty.

This is no different from any other character who doesn't have proper reversal options.

A backdash will beat a meaty command grab 100% of the time. A command grab isn't meaty if it is catching a backdash. It means that the Gief is delaying their command grab if they catch you in that movement, which means it can't be meaty.

Well, guess he was making the most legit reads of all time then because he caught every single backdash attempt perfectly and I wasn't exactly being predictable with them either.

FluxWaveZ

Well, guess he was making the most legit reads of all time then because he caught every single backdash attempt perfectly and I wasn't exactly being predictable with them either.

In that instance, he might not have been making the reads but just mistiming his command grab. If you caught the beat that he was catching you with it every time, Kolin's wake up cr.LP would have beat whatever he was doing each time, too.

Kolin's back dash is great because of how it shifts her hurtbox, by the way. It's like Cammy's, but even better.

In that instance, he might not have been making the reads but just mistiming his command grab. If you caught the beat that he was catching you with it every time, Kolin's wake up cr.LP would have beat whatever he was doing each time, too.

Kolin's back dash is great because of how it shifts her hurtbox, by the way. It's like Cammy's, but even better.

Maybe that'd be possible offline, but with the connection we had I'd literally just be taking shots in the dark since there was no way I could realistically react to what he'd committed to in time.

mbpm1

pretty much. this isn't sf4, every button in a pressure string needs a purpose.

It's her hardest probably.

get a good jump and try to be unpredictable on your approach with dash jumps I think. Use buttons like cr. mk to intercept him on button/booms. v-skill is unreliable against a booming guile which is all of them if they have a brain so avoid most of the time.

Yeah, it's just difficult because basically every single one of her buttons puts her out of grab range on block. It's not like when I'm playing Mika or Urien and can do two, even three normals and still be close enough to threaten with a tick throw.

I've been watching a bunch of Poongko matches tonight though and I think I'll start adopting some of his neutral habits as my own if possible. He fishes for counterhits with sMK a lot despite the button being -2 on block, and his use of normals cancelled into LP/EX Hailstorm to lock down the opponent's options both strike me as tools I should be using more.

Just don't cancel into lp hailstorm on block

hao chi

I'm picking this game back up after not really playing fighting games much for the past several months, and I'm using Juri and I'm having fun with the game, but I just realized how annoying it is that we can't use DLC characters that we haven't unlocked in the lab. I wanted to check him out while having FAT open on my phone so I can understand how to fight him better since he's one of my friend's new main, but it completely slipped my mind that I wouldn't be able to do that without buying him first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom