• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVII| New Generation - Connection To Haters Was Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.
been reading some gaf threads on kof, and decided to stop in to check on the state of SFV... i know there was a bunch of outcry when the game first came out, but steam reviewers are pretty unhappy with this game still, stating that a lot of characters are locked behind a soft paywall or that a ton of grinding is needed. is that still the case? i'm very shocked to see legacy fightstick support. so do i get a copy of this or kofxiv? or both.... ugh,........

been reading some gaf threads on kof, and decided to stop in to check on the state of SFV... i know there was a bunch of outcry when the game first came out, but steam reviewers are pretty unhappy with this game still, stating that a lot of characters are locked behind a soft paywall or that a ton of grinding is needed. is that still the case? i'm very shocked to see legacy fightstick support. so do i get a copy of this or kofxiv? or both.... ugh,........

You can get most of the characters fairly easy with the guide presented in the OP. Most of the DLC is fair besides certain costumes. Though it might be smarter to just buy the season 1 pass if you can find it on the cheap (which shouldn't be too hard right now)

I'd say buy both. KOF online is a little shit (and SFV is shit in its own ways, but different problems), but SFV is getting reworked and patched in April. There's a beta coming up with no progress saved, but at least you can try out the game if you have a decent PC. KOF has a demo out as well. If you can devote the time and have a local scene, KOF is definitely worth it. It's still worth it even if you wanna just mash around some single player modes.

Sayad

The characters thing is because Capcom is planning to support the game until at least 2020 by adding 6 characters every year, and they can't possibly do that if they were free. If you jump in now though, you can probably get season 1 and season 2 passes for dirt cheap(game + s1 pass + s2 pass was going for about $35 few weeks ago I think) and that'd set you up to be able to buy all characters with in game money for at least the next two years.

stn

KOF is awesome and needs the support. Buy both!

MrCarter

In SFV you can fairly easily obtain 7/8 different characters for free if you play through a few modes and in KOF you have to pay for DLC characters. Both have different styles of play, but if you want to be in it for the long game (pardon the pun) online, then I would say get SFV.

MCD250

SFV is a lot easier than KOFXIV in terms of combos and execution as well (even if XIV is itself easier than previous KOF games, probably). Worth keeping in mind for some people (like myself).

Edzi

I've just realized that my only real SFV goals are to basically beat producer, countblack, and vulva with my shitty Alex.

I need to start finding some locals to go to.

mbpm1

Vega vs Kolin is pretty bad too, he beats her hard in neutral. Can punish hands, fireball and VSkill regardless of spacing, they can't be made safe against him, and even if you do close EX fireball he can punish while moving away from the falling icicles. He can walk back from all her throw techs, and is one of the best characters at dealing with her dashes. I fucking hate that match up.

Edit: also you can't punish his VSkill and Forward HP unless you have a super because even though EX hands reach, he just fall out of it sometimes before the last hit and get a full punish. :(

Yeah, that seems pretty rough. At least Vega you can make choices against him even if they have a good chance of losing and getting punished (neutral, counters).

There's no obvious winning choices against Guile. Bang your head against the shield wall until he forgets how to use his shield right and hope.

I've just realized that my entire SFV goals are to basically beat producer, countblack, and vulva with my shitty Alex.

that's alright. my motivation for playing sfiv and sfv for a while was to bully bakedyams and fight various gaffers.

still my motivation

Bigg_Oggy

I've just realized that my only real SFV goals are to basically beat producer, countblack, and vulva with my shitty Alex.

Wanting to beat your fellow gaffers is a pretty good motivation.
Wanting to beat people at your locals feels like a good next step.

You can get most of the characters fairly easy with the guide presented in the OP. Most of the DLC is fair besides certain costumes. Though it might be smarter to just buy the season 1 pass if you can find it on the cheap (which shouldn't be too hard right now)

I'd say buy both. KOF online is a little shit (and SFV is shit in its own ways, but different problems), but SFV is getting reworked and patched in April. There's a beta coming up with no progress saved, but at least you can try out the game if you have a decent PC. KOF has a demo out as well. If you can devote the time and have a local scene, KOF is definitely worth it. It's still worth it even if you wanna just mash around some single player modes.

I totally missed the guide in the OP.... man. good to know it's fair. i think i'll get SFV on ps4 right now. and Steam at a later time. i wanna lug two fightsticks over to my friend's... hrm, or do i wanna lug the pc ...... ugh.

The characters thing is because Capcom is planning to support the game until at least 2020 by adding 6 characters every year, and they can't possibly do that if they were free. If you jump in now though, you can probably get season 1 and season 2 passes for dirt cheap(game + s1 pass + s2 pass was going for about $35 few weeks ago I think) and that'd set you up to be able to buy all characters with in game money for at least the next two years.

right, they said they're not going to do "Super, .... Ultra,. ... Arcade ...." editions anymore, right? this i can get behind I think. $35 for it w/ pass and pss 2. is that the price on steam or ps4?

In SFV you can fairly easily obtain 7/8 different characters for free if you play through a few modes and in KOF you have to pay for DLC characters. Both have different styles of play, but if you want to be in it for the long game (pardon the pun) online, then I would say get SFV.

might start with sfv and get kof later. hrm lets see how this goes. wait, does KOF XIV support the ps3 fightsticks? i have a TE SF4 stick, round 2 and a soul caliber .... soul edition fightstick. Thanks for the responses, everyone!

MrCarter

2/3 on eleague is not a good look imo

Only on preliminaries. Rest should be 3/5.

yWnshqS.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom