• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLOU Remastered: 30 fps option gives better shadow quality [Up: Comparison GIF in OP]

Didn't ND devs in an interview recently say that playing the game at 30 now "feels broken" after working on the remaster?

Wuh. Not that I mind options, though.

Kssio_Aug

Well, there's a ton of gameplay screens people with early copies have been sharing on here. Those will all be the 60 fps shadows - so you can judge from those as you want. I wonder if the "bullshots" Sony released was the higher quality version?

We would need a comparison anyway. I mean, I can see footage of 60fps and just imagine how the shadows would be at 30fps.

My guess is that the difference is not that big. But I dont know...

I approve of this.

Avi quote :p

image.php

Alchemy

Makes sense. Lets the consumer choose. And it isn't like we didn't know that you could squeeze out higher fidelity visuals at a lower framerate, that is the entire point of dropping from 60 to 30.

Denton

Corrinne Yu ‏@Corrinne

@Jiggle_City @CraveOnline We got the milliseconds down and found we had room to add features so we give everyone best of both worlds.

Fine with me.

Seik

Banned
Naughty Dog just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about the American engine culture (I'm an expert), but their graphic engine is a huge part of it. If you don't use your engine at 60fps/1080p, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the American players, after hearing about this, are not going to want to purchase The Last of Us Remastered, nor will they purchase any of Naughty Dog's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but ND has alienated an entire market with this move.

Naughty Dog, publicly apologize and give us The Last of Us in 60fps/1080p or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Options are good ,but I understand the concern. If there is a 30fps option for Uncharted 4, it won't just be shadows, but a whole lot of other eye candy.

Uncharted 4 is designed to run on a PS4. TLOU was designed to run on a PS3 with its strange architecture. Naughty Dog somehow managed to shoehorn the code and got it running at 1080p 60 FPS on PS4.

Orayn

I suppose what I'm trying to say is, shouldn't the PS4 have the raw grunt to run this game at 1080P/60 FPS with all the bells and whistles? Why do they have to "target" 60 FPS at all when something like UC4 and The Order blow TLOU out of the water? I don't have any technical understanding of what goes into ports etc. just find it weird is all, then again, I guess devs struggled with HD ports last gen as well

Shadow quality isn't a bell/whistle that you either have or you don't have, it's a setting that can be adjusted to many different levels because it involves choosing a numerical value for how many samples to take, how much precision to use, etc.

If they're adding a mode that locks the game to half of its normal framerate, turning up shadow quality is a very easy thing for them to crank up as an added perk.

Last-gen ports, offered similar options, by the way. You could run many of them in 1080p, or at 720p with higher anti-aliasing. Same concept here, just applied to different things.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Good, there's no need to idle resources if a longer frametime is available. I'm sure this will please the folks who've lobbied for more 'pc-like' customisation options in console games to trade render quality for framerate.

Who cares about shadows? Just play the game in sound mode or whatever it's called. You won't need any shadows. Hell, you won't even need textures.

Krejlooc

Banned
Master race chooses bad lighting over low frames every day.

the master race actually says "screw the choice" and throws money at the box until they can have both.

EDIT: Er, I guess technically it'd be "throws money at the box until they have neither."

Damn your sentence structure!

Better shadows vs better gameplay.

Easy choice.

I would like to try it first but having finished the PS3 version it doesn't strike me as a game that benefits much from being 60 fps. It's not Bayonetta or whatever.
Rock-solid 30 would anyway be much better if the 60 fps option is more like 60 with dips to 40-50 (which are far more noticeable).
The game's strongest feature is its atmosphere, so significantly better shadows sounds like the better way to improve the game further. In fact, the quality of dynamic shadows is a huge deal in general imo. Even more so in a game like TLOU (think of the lighting in indoor levels, the creepy horror parts etc.).

Kssio_Aug

Naughty Dog just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about the American engine culture (I'm an expert), but their graphic engine is a huge part of it. If you don't use your engine at 60fps/1080p, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the American players, after hearing about this, are not going to want to purchase The Last of Us Remastered, nor will they purchase any of Naughty Dog's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but ND has alienated an entire market with this move.

Naughty Dog, publicly apologize and give us The Last of Us in 60fps/1080p or you can kiss your business goodbye.

/s or /jk

Right?

Uncharted 4 is designed to run on a PS4. TLOU was designed to run on a PS3 with its strange architecture. Naughty Dog somehow managed to shoehorn the code and got it running at 1080p 60 FPS on PS4.

That's why i'm thinking they will be able to squeeze a whole lot more of effects if there happens to be a 30fps version.

Blur

Banned
Not sure if it's just me or if someone else is slightly annoyed, but I just have this feeling like they could of done much more with this remaster...

If 343i can put H1 + H1A upped to 1080/60, H2 + H2Remake (also 1080/60) + Halo 3 upped to 1080/60, Halo 4 upped to 1080/60... Also have them run their OLD engines along with the new engines AND be able to switch back and forth for nostalgic reasons... then I don;t see why ND couldn't have at least made the game somewhat better.

Also, before anyone says well they only had 1 year and they were also working on Uncharted you've got to realize that 343i done all that I listed in 2 years (I'm guessing they started work after Halo 4 as they did say that was the last Halo game in the new trilogy for last gen) AND they are also working on Halo 5.

Yes, I know it's a remaster and it won't look HUGELY different, but it just seems like they didn't put in as much effort...

Tagyhag

It makes sense, at 60fps the game is going so fast and will be so blurry that shadows won't be too noticeable in-game.

But really, the 60fps option couldn't take it?

Top Bottom