• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 PRO 4K native games (will update the list everytime there is a new game)

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'm honestly surprised there are this many games pulling this off. Obviously AAA games won't be doing this and most games for that fact but seeing the fact there is more than just two or three games managing this is pretty cool. I'd love to see some older games released with 4K resolutions.

f@luS

More than a member.
I'd take 1080p/60fps over 4k/30fps, so I'm thinking I'll be playing my PS4 Pro at 1080p on my 4k TV.
I'll do so depending on the game. Tomb raider will be higher Rez , 30 dos is enough. A driving game I'll take a 1080p60 for sure instead of 4K

I hope the pro upscale nice from 1080p. Xbox one game like forza looks stunning upscaled to 4k

Lady Gaia

I take what was in the op to mean that the frame becomes a fully sampled 4K frame because the camera was still in the same place when field A & field B was rendered & not that they actually switched from checkerboard rendering to sampling the full 4K frame at once.

I stand by my assertion that's it's misleading. Not only would the camera have to occupy the same place, but all motion and animated effects would need to stop for the results to be literally identical. An Xbox 360 title doesn't "shift to native 4K" when the screen is completely black regardless of the fact that the upscaled results are indistinguishable from a native 4K black screen.

I believe everything else on the list has been asserted by someone involved with development as actually rendering to a native 4K frame buffer. When drawing a technical distinction accuracy matters.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
I wonder if there will be games that allow you to have the choice of "forcing" 1080p mode.

Say I have an 4K OLED TV and I own Horizon Zero Dawn. That game seems to use the extra processing power of PS4 Pro in two ways :

In "4K Mode" it uses checkerboard rendering (1800p?) to upscale to 4K and HDR lighting/high color gamut when it detects a 4K TV.

In "1080p mode" it uses the extra power to have more complex vegetation and scene models (over PS4) and downsample 1800p for Supersampled Anti-Aliasing when a 1080p TV is detected.

I am wondering if you will have the option to toggle between both modes depending on personal preference.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I wonder if there will be games that allow you to have the choice of "forcing" 1080p mode.

Say I have an 4K OLED TV and I own Horizon Zero Dawn. That game seems to use the extra processing power of PS4 Pro in two ways :

In "4K Mode" it uses checkerboard rendering (1800p?) to upscale to 4K and HDR lighting/high color gamut when it detects a 4K TV.

In "1080p mode" it uses the extra power to have more complex vegetation and scene models (over PS4) and downsample 1800p for Supersampled Anti-Aliasing.

I am wondering if you will have the option to toggle between both modes depending on personal preference.
Depends on the game. Tomb Raider has multiple options you can choose. Most games will probably go the checkerboard 4K/1080p SSAA route. Horizon will have SSAA in 1080p mode according to Guerilla.

Hi, Mauro from indiedev MixedBag here! Aside from the port of Wheels of Aurelia, running native 4K and 60fps on PS4Pro, I can confirm that we're doing a patch for Futuridium EP Deluxe at native 4K / 60fps + enhanced PSVR support (higher resolution than standard PS4 in VR at 120 native FPS).

Also our upcoming 2D metroidvania forma.8 is already running in 4K / 60fps / 8xMSAA.

Visually our game are quite simple but being able to push 4K really benefits their look since we're using very stylized visual styles.

Adding support for PS4Pro in Unity is very easy, it'a cool to be able to add support for the latest and greatest tech also as a small indie dev!

Thank you very much for such infos. I updated the OP.

Would be nice if you update the OP as the OPer, it makes it look like there's not 60fps option. (Although that is not native, it and seemingly irrelevant to the thread :) )

It is irrelevent to add this info to OP since almost all if not all PS4PRO games can be switched to different modes on PS4 PRO and on a 4K TV, i.e: to1080p mode, or to 30 FPS checkerboard (from native 4K@30FPS) or to checkerboard/1080p mode with better graphics. I am not mentioning all modes here. I am just stating the native 4K mode and its FPS. I updated OP with statement.

Add VizionEck to the list. I've asked about framerates and no answer yet:

edit: 4K/60fps

http://vizioneck.com/forum/index.php?msg=179173

Added this to the list of logical native 4K, but not official (until devs officially develop the PS4 PRO version of the game).

I wonder if Sony chose the stronger sku for PS4 PRO with the 5.5 TFlop GPU (uplocked version of the current one to reach that level), would we get more native 4K games?

Crayon

I wonder if Sony chose the stronger sku for PS4 PRO with the 5.5 TFlop GPU (uplocked version of the current one to reach that level), would we get more native 4K games?

I don't see why not. I suspect native 4k games are just cases of cycles to burn, given how good the checkerboard screens look.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Hi, Mauro from indiedev MixedBag here! Aside from the port of Wheels of Aurelia, running native 4K and 60fps on PS4Pro, I can confirm that we're doing a patch for Futuridium EP Deluxe at native 4K / 60fps + enhanced PSVR support (higher resolution than standard PS4 in VR at 120 native FPS).

Also our upcoming 2D metroidvania forma.8 is already running in 4K / 60fps / 8xMSAA.

Visually our game are quite simple but being able to push 4K really benefits their look since we're using very stylized visual styles.

Adding support for PS4Pro in Unity is very easy, it'a cool to be able to add support for the latest and greatest tech also as a small indie dev!
This is incredible support. Great work!

JordanN

Banned
We haven't heard a peep from Japanese devs working with the Pro have we?

A lot of those games should easily be both 4K and 60fps.

nakedeyes

Banned
So. Wait. Is Tomb Raider going to be added to the list? I swear I thought it had a native 4k render mode.. Or has all their talk of the 4k mode been a checkerboard approach? If so, that is a bit lame, as they made it sound like it was native..

Edit: Just did some more googling after looking through probably 4 articles that just said there was a "4k" mode.. But found a vg27 article that basically said they were specifically unclear about if the 4k mode was "native" or not..

So. Wait. Is Tomb Raider going to be added to the list? I swear I thought it had a native 4k render mode.. Or has all their talk of the 4k mode been a checkerboard approach? If so, that is a bit lame, as they made it sound like it was native..

Edit: Just did some more googling after looking through probably 4 articles that just said there was a "4k" mode.. But found a vg27 article that basically said they were specifically unclear about if the 4k mode was "native" or not..

It is checkerboard. Many sources confirmed that and DF explained how that is creating artefacts on the screen (especially in the particle effects) because it is not 4K native.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
We haven't heard a peep from Japanese devs working with the Pro have we?

A lot of those games should easily be both 4K and 60fps.

We know FF15 has a pro mode, which is most likely 4K checkerboard+ HDR, which should look pretty sweet. Nomura confirmed that KH 2.8 will have pro support as well, no idea about anything else..but i'm sure we'll hear more soon

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
This list will be very interesting to watch grow after the console releases. Right now, it seems like if a game is a remaster or simpler game graphically, then it will hit 4k. But I do wonder if how developers use PS4 Pro will change when they're thinking of the console during the early design phases of a game. Three years from now, it'll be intriguing to see what was achieved with this incremental console.

Planet

Frozenbyte (Trine games) situation
They actually said "no, never" in a polite way. Keeping this on your list as a honorable theoretical member just adds unnecessary bloat. Press just stick to the facts and cut the fat.

There are many more games potentially running at 4K 60 FPS if the dev would just put the effort in. But it doesn't make any sense financially for almost all of them. Just like with Frozenbyte, who had to actually cut their third game short because they ran out off funds, and I don't think it made them rich.

They actually said "no, never" in a polite way. Keeping this on your list as a honorable theoretical member just adds unnecessary bloat. Press just stick to the facts and cut the fat.

There are many more games potentially running at 4K 60 FPS if the dev would just put the effort in. But it doesn't make any sense financially for almost all of them. Just like with Frozenbyte, who had to actually cut their third game short because they ran out off funds, and I don't think it made them rich.

You just nailed it. It is not an official list, just "honorable theoretical members" like you said. Some may come like VizionEck, others may not. Never say never. Who Knows.

Caayn

You just nailed it. It is not an official list, just "honorable theoretical members" like you said. Some may come like VizionEck, others may not. Never say never. Who Knows.
Then why not put every game on there? What's the point of keeping games on that list that are confirmed to not get native 4K support.

I agree with Planet, cut the filler and keep only the confirmed games.

Can someone (OP perhaps) make the same thread but with the info which games get a 30 fps --> 60 fps upgrade?

Hmm. I didn't know about any game getting such treatment for PS4 PRO. Everyone expected such upgrade but it seems Sony is putting much more emphasis on higher res with PS4 PRO than increased FPS. Sony even stated that the games need to have same FPS for online modes in order to to not disadvantage regular PS4 players. The only info we know so far is that the 60 FPS mode of TLOU:R on PS4 PRO is more stable than the 60 FPS mode TLOU:R on PS4 which had many dips.

thelastword

Banned
"Native" is the buzzword. Skyrim was specified as Native 4K. Fallout was not, meaning it will be using the checkerboard rendering solution.
You don't know that, you're assuming the worse, they said they will be aiming for 4k on the .Pro just as they're doing for Skyrim.

Obviously they have not started work on Fallout 4 yet, but they are aiming for 4k native and it's quite feasible with the GPU. 60fps at that rez is not possible, but 30fps at 4k is definitely possible.

As for the thread, we can wait when they actually patch Fallout 4 to confirm, but they are aiming for 4k native there.

Wow, I love that Cod shifts to 4K for screenshots, that feature needs to be implemented in all games. Could that even be a system level thing? Probably not.
Don't like this, screenshots should be representative of actual gameplay, not heightened for stills. Soon everybody will be posting shots with better resolution and IQ not representative of the game in motion. It's already happening with some current gen titles with photomode where people project this is how the games look in realtime.

I am pretty sure the stand still effect of Infinite Warfare is just standard behavior for checkerboard rendering. It would make a lot of sense to alternate the grid exactly for scenes with no or slow movement. That doesn't make it native 4K.
I thought of that and I can agree that this is what's happening here since checkerboarding makes up for pixels lost, so you may still be reading checkerboard shots as full pixel 4k native.

I do think it's likely what's happening, but the COD games also had a dynamic resolution system which DF always clamoured about (though never proved it).....So if it is indeed some dynamic resolution which hits 4k when looking at walls or standing still, I don't think that will be representative of gameplay. That would be the equivalent of taking media/bull shots.

BTW, good thread. There will be more games supporting native rez in the coming weeks before launch.

Piccoro

Oh wow, these are awesome news, I love Futuridium!

spwolf

They will have this icon on the case from the start: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1276611&highlight=

XZS3dTKGsgPvJc44nfMRcg-650-80.png

So they will include PS4 PRO data on the disk, unless devs make updates to add more features or correct hiccups.

they should include this as a filter in the store from November forward.

Then why not put every game on there? What's the point of keeping games on that list that are confirmed to not get native 4K support.

I agree with Planet, cut the filler and keep only the confirmed games.

Did you ever see list of top 10 or top 20 etc of anything? Many of them have honorable mentions which means contenders who may have been on that list but didn't make it.
The reason I put those games in that unofficial list is the way those games were rendered or developed on the base PS4 which logically suggests that those games will be 4K Native on PS4 PRO.
In fact both of those games could run in 4K on base PS4.and I don't think that every game like you said can be part of that unofficial list.
Moreover, VizionEck developer (or director) was so certain that his game could run in 4K@60FPS if he had the PS4 PRO devkit.
Besides Frozenbyte didn't tell me to remove Trine when I told them that I will keep Trine games in that hypothetical list.
Finally, I don't think this unofficial list is going to hurt or confuse anyone about the confirmed games since it is separate from it and well explained, let alone if those games end up in the official list in the future.

Planet

Last gen remasters don't count, yes they were AAAs once...
...and now they are... what? Indies? I've said it a few times before, TLoU is a PS3 game, but TLoU:R is not. It has improved models, animations, textures, shaders etc. and does stress the PS4 to its limits.

The reason it does hit 4K natively is not that it is "a last gen game" but that it has double the power and double the time budget to render 4 times the pixels. Basic math seems to match reality here.

Planet

They are probably aiming for it, judging from the press release, but we have to wait and see. Maybe it won't work out like it did with Skyrim, but they hit 1800p? We will know soon enough.

The additional CPU resources should improve framerates there as well, I figure it is a CPU bound game.

When the PS5 releases (if it gets released late), will we live the same scenario of these days where:
- 4K native will be the standard for PS5 games but some demanding games won't be native 4K exactly how the PS4 is doing these days with 1080p as standard while some demanding games are 900p.

- We will get a PS5 PRO that allows higher res than native 4K, or let'ts call it 8K with checkerboard and some remastered PS4 games and some indies will be 8K native (seeing that 8K TVS are already being prepared) similar to PS4 PRO current situation.

What do you think? You will say this is impossible but who ever imagined that one day a console could reach 4K (whether natively or upscaled) at the time of the PS4, let alone at the time of PS3. Keep in mind hardware components evolve exponentially following Moore's law.

onQ123

When the PS5 releases (if it gets released late), will we live the same scenario of these days where:
- 4K native will be the standard for PS5 games but some demanding games won't be native 4K exactly how the PS4 is doing these days with 1080p as standard while some demanding games are 900p.

- We will get a PS5 PRO that allows higher res than native 4K, or let'ts call it 8K with checkerboard and some remastered PS4 games and some indies will be 8K native (seeing that 8K TVS are already being prepared) similar to PS4 PRO current situation.

What do you think? You will say this is impossible but who ever imagined that one day a console could reach 4K (whether natively or upscaled) at the time of the PS4 let alone at the time of PS3. Keep in mind hardware components evolve exponentially following Moore's law.

Me ):

onQ123

Those were some serious Nostradamus-type predictions, man! And in 2012!

Back to this half-precision stuff:

Neo will perform almost as if it was 8.4TF when you use FP16 & fit 2 16-bit instructions into FP32.

but because the FP16 is actually compressed from what would have probably been a 32-bit instruction it will actually be performing what seems like close to 8.4TF of FP32.

I'm aware that y'all think I'm crazy but watch this 4.2TF console do 4K when devs use FP16.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-hands-on-with-mantis-burn-racing-on-ps4-pro

we already knew that the Pro graphics core implements a range of new instructions - it was part of the initial leak - but we didn't really know exactly what they could actually do. As we understand it, with the new enhancements, it's possible to complete two 16-bit floating point operations in the time taken to complete one on the base PS4 hardware. The end result from the new Radeon technology is the additional throughput required to making Mantis Burn Racing hit its 4K performance target, though significant shader optimisation was required on the part of the developer.

In short, there's more to PS4 Pro's enhancements than teraflop comparisons suggest - and we understand that there are more 'secret sauce' features still to be revealed. At the PlayStation Meeting, Sony staff told me that the enhancements made to the core hardware go beyond the checkerboard upscaling technology, and the new instructions certainly support Mark Cerny's assertion that the PS4 Pro possesses graphics features not found in AMD's current Polaris line of GPUs. Interesting stuff, and we look forward to learning more.

Raven77

Last night I was reading an article about why gamers should hold off on buying the PS4K. It's biggest point against purchasing it is that they don't think very many developers are going to utilize the extra power. Looking at the game list it is pretty nice but what are peoples thoughts on here? I have one preordered already but this article made me wonder. I'm struggling to find the article.

Is anyone else worried that support for this come 2017 will be less than great? I know people were talking about all games past a certain date having to have a Pro Mode or whatever it was called but I thought that turned out to not be entirely true.

So I keep saying mixed reports here. Obviously 4K is the focus, but it seems like the general consensus is without a 4K TV there really is no benefit to getting a Pro right?

Last night I was reading an article about why gamers should hold off on buying the PS4K. It's biggest point against purchasing it is that they don't think very many developers are going to utilize the extra power. Looking at the game list it is pretty nice but what are peoples thoughts on here? I have one preordered already but this article made me wonder. I'm struggling to find the article.

Is anyone else worried that support for this come 2017 will be less than great? I know people were talking about all games past a certain date having to have a Pro Mode or whatever it was called but I thought that turned out to not be entirely true.
what are you talking about? It's a Sony policy to release games on there system, you HAVE to have a Pro version of you want your game on PlayStation period, how is the Pro not going to be supported, it's the same games as PS4 just beefed up. Obviously some devs will do more work than others.

Top Bottom