• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 PRO 4K native games (will update the list everytime there is a new game)

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Not at all. While PS4 PRO is considered among this gen and must stick to it, Microsoft explicitely confirmed that there are no gens anymore for them (more like PC route now) and devs are free to whteher improve available Xbox One games or develop exclusive games for Scorpio. That is why I wished PS4 PRO would follow the same path.

Ironically enough, the only consoles with exclusive games are the PS4 and NX, actually.

If you get an NX a PS4 and a PC, you are 100% covered next gen.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
If only there were PS4 PRO esclusives (or the PS4 was released with PS4 PRO specs) we would see real wonders.

That is why I wished PS4 PRO would follow the same path.

No thanks. I don't know what your viewpoint is, but i still care a lot about graphical and game design innovations granted by higher powered hardware, and how the industry usually knows how to wholesale advance on these parameters is by clearly defined console generations, where software can take advantage of the hardware in a specific way

House's statements have been clear that they are not aiming to take that away in particular. Making that a goal of PS4 Pro after only 3 years of PS4 would destroy essentially any solvency in the console industry and be a disaster for developers to focus on the target hardware.

These iterative units should stay exactly what they are: iterative, optional, and not defined by their own titles.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
There is way too much fake concern going on, no one has to keep explaining to people that a more powerful console is going to look better no matter what resolution your TV is.

Some of it's fake concern but I don't think it's fair to sweep all of it under the rug like that. We're not talking about HDR here, it's really easy to display the benefits of downsampling to 1080p tv users.

No thanks. I don't know what your viewpoint is, but i still care a lot about graphical and game design innovations granted by higher powered hardware, and how the industry usually knows how to wholesale advance on these parameters is by clearly defined console generations, where software can take advantage of the hardware in a specific way

House's statements have been clear that they are not aiming to take that away in particular. Making that a goal of PS4 Pro after only 3 years of PS4 would destroy essentially any solvency in the console industry and be a disaster for developers to focus on the target hardware.

These iterative units should stay exactly what they are: iterative, optional, and not defined by their own titles.

I don't disagree but still, the new consoles will be hampered by the current ones. A better solution would be to start developing on PS4 PRO and then port to PS4 which will benefit both. I remember when devs got to grips with the PS3 and started doing multiplats on PS3 then on XBox 360, the latter benefited from it.

They said lots of things. I'm not convinced they have a plan in stone at this point.

Yeah. I remember reading in some articles that developers may be free to develop exclusive games on Scorpio, but I just googled the most recent articles and they meant only VR games. It seems their plans aren't well settled for the time being knowing that the console is far away from release.

Edit: Look, I didn't came up with such talk from thin air:

Xbox One Scorpio WILL have exclusive games, won't affect Xbox One fans, Microsoft reveal

Xbox Chief reiterates that Project Scorpio will not have exclusive games

Confusing, isn't it?

Inuhanyou

I don't disagree but still, the new consoles will be hampered by the current ones. A better solution would be to start developing on PS4 PRO and then port to PS4 which will benefit both. I remember when devs got to grips with the PS3 and started doing multiplats on PS3 then on XBox 360, the latter benefited from it.

That's the whole point.

Pro is essentially a marginally stronger PS4 and is meant to only be able to do what PS4 can do at a higher fidelity.

There is no benefit to leading development with Pro. When they said this was an iterative unit, they meant that. And, with that in mind, developed the console's components with the mindset that developers would take their PS4 games and simply 'upport' them. This would allow them to take advantage of the stronger specs in the process in a manner that could primarily be seen as a benefit for 4KTV HDR users, but be seen by everyone else as well.

I'm also not sure how you came to the conclusion that leading on pro would benefit PS4, that only means that that SKU would suffer with devs trying to cut things down. Upporting is much simpler than downporting. With downporting, your trying to close a closet overflowing with clothes. Upporting,your throwing a smaller amount of clothes into a bigger closet, easily shutting the door

I wish that Sony and Microsoft would release a number of tiers of consoles (kinda like phones). I would love to have the ability to buy a $600 PS4 that would guarantee awesome performance.

That's the whole point.

Pro is essentially a marginally stronger PS4 and is meant to only be able to do what PS4 can do at a higher fidelity.

There is no benefit to leading development with Pro. When they said this was an iterative unit, they meant that. And, with that in mind, developed the console's components with the mindset that developers would take their PS4 games and simply 'upport' them. This would allow them to take advantage of the stronger specs in the process in a manner that could primarily be seen as a benefit for 4KTV HDR users, but be seen by everyone else as well.

I'm also not sure how you came to the conclusion that leading on pro would benefit PS4, that only means that that SKU would suffer with devs trying to cut things down. Upporting is much simpler than downporting. With downporting, your trying to close a closet overflowing with clothes. Upporting,your throwing a smaller amount of clothes into a bigger closet, easily shutting the door

Anyway, we will leave it to the devs.

I wish that Sony and Microsoft would release a number of tiers of consoles (kinda like phones). I would love to have the ability to buy a $600 PS4 that would guarantee awesome performance.

PS4 S PRO?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I'd take 1080p/60fps over 4k/30fps, so I'm thinking I'll be playing my PS4 Pro at 1080p on my 4k TV.

Same here. I look at Uncharted 4 and I can't help but feel how much more awesome it would be at 60fps given how great it already looks at 30 fps.

Inuhanyou

That would eliminate the point of their 2 years spent into making an iterative PS Pro. They don't have the logistics to do that, nor do they have the actual money to pump into continuous multiple console configurations to an oversaturated marketplace that would not buy any one of those SKU's enough to justify its existence.

I think the people who talk like this are unconsciously looking for a PC where they can get whatever hardware they want.

Crayon

If there were enough people who felt the same sony would make one. Perhaps one day though depending on how the market develops.

onQ123

They said lots of things. I'm not convinced they have a plan in stone at this point.

Their plan is pretty simple actually.

create a user base that can continue to scale. The reason they can make Scorpio & not worry about if it sell 1 million or 20 million is because the software will also play on Xbox One & Windows 10 PCs that meet the requirements.

Lady Gaia

Confusing, isn't it?

Their messaging has made it more confusing than it needs to be, that's for sure. As far as I can tell the promise is that what we've traditionally thought of as a console title, something displayed on an attached television, will be released for the Xbox One family as a whole. VR experiences are being treated as a completely distinct category to be introduced as a Scorpio accessory.

So the loophole appears to be that anything that requires a Scorpio-specific peripheral is exempted. It does raise questions about whether titles can exist that run on both with optional VR content for Scorpio. That's something I think Sony has done well, allowing titles like Rise of the Tomb raider to feature a truly scalable experience that takes advantage of an optional peripheral as well as the extra horsepower of the PS4 Pro.

onQ123

Their messaging has made it more confusing than it needs to be, that's for sure. As far as I can tell the promise is that what we've traditionally thought of as a console title, something displayed on an attached television, will be released for the Xbox One family as a whole. VR experiences are being treated as a completely distinct category to be introduced as a Scorpio accessory.

So the loophole appears to be that anything that requires a Scorpio-specific peripheral is exempted. It does raise questions about whether titles can exist that run on both with optional VR content for Scorpio. That's something I think Sony has done well, allowing titles like Rise of the Tomb raider to feature a truly scalable experience that takes advantage of an optional peripheral as well as the extra horsepower of the PS4 Pro.

The way I see it is the VR games that Scorpio will get is also the UWP games that will play on PC & Xbox One but Xbox One might not meet the requirement for the VR headset/game like some PCs will not meet the requirements.

That would eliminate the point of their 2 years spent into making an iterative PS Pro. They don't have the logistics to do that, nor do they have the actual money to pump into continuous multiple console configurations to an oversaturated marketplace that would not buy any one of those SKU's enough to justify its existence.

I think the people who talk like this are unconsciously looking for a PC where they can get whatever hardware they want.
Nah, we just want Sony to make us a PC.

And that's essentially what PS4P is to me, and I'm in day one.

Inuhanyou

Nah, we just want Sony to make us a PC.

And that's essentially what PS4P is to me, and I'm in day one.

Your not going to get a PC because you still don't have full control. This is just a slightly more powerful option than what's already available.

Its fine on its own, but my issue arises when people suggest that Pro's existence means traditional generational changes should be eliminated. There's room for better than the current experience in iterative units, but i don't think it should come at the cost of the traditional console experience people enjoy.

huh1678

Banned
Guys, what are the chances of PS2 games on PS4 getting a pro patch to take advantage of the better GPU. That would be a huge deal for me with more PS2 games getting re-released. Can you imagine, PS2 games @ 4k :D

ReBurn

Gold Member
They will have this icon on the case from the start: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1276611&highlight=

XZS3dTKGsgPvJc44nfMRcg-650-80.png

So they will include PS4 PRO data on the disk, unless devs make updates to add more features or correct hiccups.

How does the icon being on the packaging guarantee that the 4K assets are on the disc? Given that many AAA games are already pushing the capacity of dual-layer Bluray I find it difficult to believe that at least some games won't have to download additional assets due to disc space considerations.

onQ123

How does the icon being on the packaging guarantee that the 4K assets are on the disc? Given that many AAA games are already pushing the capacity of dual-layer Bluray I find it difficult to believe that at least some games won't have to download additional assets due to disc space considerations.

What make you think that the games need new assets for 4K?

ReBurn

Gold Member
What make you think that the games need new assets for 4K?

It's not needing new assets for 4K that I'm concerned about. My concern is the standard PS4 being able to use native 4K assets and maintain adequate performance. If it can do it then great.

onQ123

It's not needing new assets for 4K that I'm concerned about. My concern is the standard PS4 being able to use native 4K assets and maintain adequate performance. If it can do it then great.

PS4 games are already made with high quality assets they are not going to hurt the base PS4 just to have 4K games on PS4 Pro.

Lady Gaia

Asset sizes are almost invariably constrained by memory, and the PS4 Pro doesn't have any more RAM than the PS4 does. So developers aren't suddenly going to opt for higher resolution textures. You're just going to see the detail that is already present from a greater distance.

LurkingFear

Not really the right thread, but should I expect this thing to sell out/be hard to find on release day?

It all depends.

How do you intend to purchase it? Amazon?? Check their best sellers (Video games) list every so often and look for their in-stock updates.

Plan to buy it from a brick and mortar store locally to you? Call them up or swing by and ask about how their pre-orders are looking.

At the very worst, just preorder it from a store of your choosing if they are still available, and cancel it near launch if you cant afford it. Someone will buy your reserve if you dont.

anothertech

Not really the right thread, but should I expect this thing to sell out/be hard to find on release day?
Not likely, if this thread is any indication, I think a lot of PS4 owners aren't sure if they need to make the switch.

That said, I wouldn't hesitate to put a preorder in just in case. Even without a 4K tv, that sweet super sampling and possible other benefits to our 1080p games is going to be amazing.

I'm honestly surprised to see this many 4K native games already confirmed. I would have thought the uprendering with more effects tech would have been more ideal even for those games listed. Will be fun to see how this list goes into the future.

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
Can't wait to see digital foundry videos of Skyrim and eso comparing with standard 1080p version, should be interesting. Im more of an Xbox user so getting a Scorpio, but I'll probably get a PS4 Pro used down the line to play some of the exclusives on 4k and HDR.

Is Uncharted 4 confirmed to be 4k?

Can't wait to see digital foundry videos of Skyrim and eso comparing with standard 1080p version, should be interesting. Im more of an Xbox user so getting a Scorpio, but I'll probably get a PS4 Pro used down the line to play some of the exclusives on 4k and HDR.

Is Uncharted 4 confirmed to be 4k?

Yup, it was shown in checkerboard 4K + HDR during the reveal event and listed on multiple sites as well.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/09...charted-4-days-gone-and-more-displayed-in-4k/
http://www.businessinsider.com/ps4-pro-playstation-4-games-4k-list-2016-9/#uncharted-4-1

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some

When you download a PC game, it has almost the same size as a console game. To switch beteween settings from medium to Very high, you don't need to downlad anything else, the same for changing the resolution of the game.

Asset sizes are almost invariably constrained by memory, and the PS4 Pro doesn't have any more RAM than the PS4 does. So developers aren't suddenly going to opt for higher resolution textures. You're just going to see the detail that is already present from a greater distance.

PS4 PRO has 500 MB of VRAM more (unlocked) available for games and higher brandwidth. Isn't that enough for higher resolution textures?

Why would it optimize for 1080p on a 1440p(2K= 2560X1440 or 2560X1600 depending on aspect ratio) screen? The pixels won't line up correctly and it will not be a clear image...

That is why Sony is not recommending 1440p because it is not well adapted. They are recommending the other higher resolutions 1800p, 1890p, 2000p etc.

onQ123

Why would it optimize for 1080p on a 1440p(2K= 2560X1440 or 2560X1600 depending on aspect ratio) screen? The pixels won't line up correctly and it will not be a clear image...

When they talk about 2K TV they are talking about what you call a 1080P or full HDTV

Before "4K" became common, you'd almost never see "2K." It was pretty much just a cinema resolution, which is why you'll sometimes see used to refer to a "master format." Most digital cinema projectors used in theaters are 2K resolution (some are less). It's 2,048 pixels wide, and again, no vertical resolution is specified by the DCI.

But now that "4K" has gained traction as a term used to describe TVs and content, "2K" is becoming increasingly common as shorthand for the 1080p resolution used by most HDTVs, as well as Blu-ray. It's not technically accurate, but that didn't stop "4K" from becoming more popular than UHD.

1080p or Full HD

Remember how we talked about digital cinema resolutions only specifying the horizontal resolution?

Well, TVs, on the other hand, have historically used the vertical to describe resolution (going back to the glass tube days). So 1080p is the vertical resolution. Nearly all HDTVs have an aspect ratio of 1.78:1 (16x9, aka "widescreen"), so that means a horizontal resolution of 1,920 pixels (1,920x1,080).

This is another source of confusion, since decades of TV discussions have talked about vertical resolutions, and then all of a sudden we're talking about "4K TVs," which refers to the horizontal resolution. Don't blame me, it wasn't my idea.

That means 1080p is not "1K." It's 2K, as much as UHD TVs are 4K. Which is to say, at 1,920x1,080 they're close to the DCI's 2K specification of 2,048. That said, most people don't call 1080p 2K; they call it 1080p or Full HD.

https://www.cnet.com/news/tv-resolution-confusion-1080p-2k-uhd-4k-and-what-they-all-mean/

When they talk about 2K TV they are talking about what you call a 1080P or full HDTV

https://www.cnet.com/news/tv-resolution-confusion-1080p-2k-uhd-4k-and-what-they-all-mean/

Indeed, I learned something new today. 2K is actually a bit bigger than 1080p but not so much larger that it doesn't fit under it's umbrella... The same way 4K is technically 4096X2160 but the 16:9 resolution 3840X2160(UHD) falls under the 4K umbrella...

So... what? Would 2560X1440 be 720^2?

onQ123

Indeed, I learned something new today. 2K is actually a bit bigger than 1080p but not so much larger that it doesn't fit under it's umbrella... The same way 4K is technically 4096X2160 but the 16:9 resolution 3840X2160(UHD) falls under the 4K umbrella...

So... what? Would 2560X1440 be 2.5K?

WQHD Wide Quad High Definition

onQ123

So it never got a "K" name.

It is to 720 what UHD is the 1080... so I'm not even sure what to call it... 4K ready? The same way 720 was called HD ready? lol

The "K" is something that's usually use when talking about cinema resolutions & I don't think there was a point where 1440P or close to it caught on as a standard for filming so they never felt the need to make it a TV standard so you wouldn't see the "K" used for it much but if they did use K it would be 2.5K

onQ123

Speaking of 2K I think they will use the 2K naming for any new HDTVs that has HDR so that they can separate them from the none HDR tvs if they feel the need to mass market HD HDR tvs

Speaking of 2K I think they will use the 2K naming for any new HDTVs that has HDR so that they can separate them from the none HDR tvs if they feel the need to mass market HD HDR tvs

2160p isn't native 4K anyway because 2160p = 3840 x 2160 while native 4K = 4096 x 2160. Saying that UHD TVs and games running in 2160p are native 4K is just a way to promote them.

onQ123

2160p isn't native 4K anyway because 2160p = 3840 x 2160 while native 4K = 4096 x 2160. Saying that UHD TVs and games running in 2160p are native 4K is just a way to promote them.

4K is UHD , but UHD covers a large range of resolutions & 3840 x 2160 is basically 4K but in the standard wide screen TV ratio. it's 4K as far as TVs go there is no need of changing the wide screen standard for TVs just to make it exactly 4096 x 2160.

Lady Gaia

PS4 PRO has 500 MB of VRAM more (unlocked) available for games and higher brandwidth. Isn't that enough for higher resolution textures?

Neither increase is dedicated to a specific purpose so developers can use it as they see fit. Still, the additional bandwidth will be consumed rapidly enough by the increased fill rate required to render at higher target resolutions. The bump in RAM allocation will likewise be necessary due to the 2-4x increase in the size of frame buffers and intermediate render targets. This is especially important for titles whose RAM budgets are already tight that Sony is trying to entice into patching for the PS4 Pro.

Top Bottom