• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Hello Toronto GAF, Ottawa GAFfer coming in peace.

Do you guys know when the Yorkdale Cheesecake Factory is supposed to open? On the Yorkdale Mall website all it says is "Fall 2017". Does anyone know of a more specific date?
Even when it does open, it might be a better idea to wait a bit if you're coming from Ottawa just for that.

Line ups for new popular things here are always insane.

JWiLL

Banned
In the process of looking for an apartment/condo to rent somewhere along the subway line south of Eglinton or not too far east/west of the downtown core.

Last time I did this was back in 2013 and good fucking lord, the rental market is a mess right now. Everything is a good $3-500 a month more than it used to be.

Thankfully I'm single and make decent money w/ an okay amount of savings, but the entire process is depressing. Finding anything that's not your typical cookie cutter bright parquet floor unit is rare. Really hoping to find something more modern, but the last I did that would have been perfect I was outbid for (was their 2nd choice).

Bah.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
In the process of looking for an apartment/condo to rent somewhere along the subway line south of Eglinton or not too far east/west of the downtown core.

Last time I did this was back in 2013 and good fucking lord, the rental market is a mess right now. Everything is a good $3-500 a month more than it used to be.

Thankfully I'm single and make decent money w/ an okay amount of savings, but the entire process is depressing. Finding anything that's not your typical cookie cutter bright parquet floor unit is rare. Really hoping to find something more modern, but the last I did that would have been perfect I was outbid for (was their 2nd choice).

Bah.

A few years ago I would have said go out west, but even that's not really cheap anymore.

I almost feel like it's that "cheap/good/fast" trifecta where picking two means you lose the other, except of course it's quality/price/location at this point.

JWiLL

Banned
A few years ago I would have said go out west, but even that's not really cheap anymore.

I almost feel like it's that "cheap/good/fast" trifecta where picking two means you lose the other, except of course it's quality/price/location at this point.

Yeah I work in Oakville so I was looking west...but the prices are no better. I'd be taking the GO train to work most days anyway and can work from home 1-2 days a week, so I'd rather be closer to downtown for social life reasons.

The entire experience is pretty awful, even worse when you finally find the perfect spot and don't get it.

More ramen coming to North York.

Walked by the NYCC area and spotted Konjiki Ramen opening soon. Bunch of posters plastered on the windows saying it's featured in the Michelin guide or something (not sure if it has a Michelin star).

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
More ramen coming to North York.

Walked by the NYCC area and spotted Konjiki Ramen opening soon. Bunch of posters plastered on the windows saying it's featured in the Michelin guide or something (not sure if it has a Michelin star).
Yeah walked by it when I went to pick up Yakuza from Quad.

I dunno how much more can be done with ramen to give it a Michelin star. It also wouldn't refer to that location since Michelin are dicks and don't give stars in Canada.

I watched this video on counterfeit fashion culture in S. Korea and now I'm wondering if all the trendy looking 20 somethings I see hang out in North York Centre were wearing fakes all along.

Nah, they spend way too much money for t-shirts that look like they should cost 30 bucks tops...........but at least most of them look better than Kanye West stuff =/

But I don't understand fashion anyway

Interesting video.....I'll stick with Roots :p

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
North York Civic Centre was in a bit of a lockdown this morning. They discovered a suspicious package in front of the building. Everything seems to be fine tho.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Fucking Summer.

g5walBv.gif

For someone who has been living in the GTA off and on for over 20 years, I honestly don't knwo what's appealing about TO...

I attend to my boring watering holes on Friday nights with mates... other than that, my life is lame and I have no idea what's special about the city..

WHAT I AM GETTING AT IS... A friend of mine is visiting me from Australia in two weeks....

She is a free spirit type, 30 year old woman, that loves to have fun, travel and discover cool things about cities ( kinda the opposite of me)

She's staying with me for three days and I am in panic mode, I don't want to be a shitty host...

How would any of you guys impress an adventurous tourist in Toronto...Where would you guys take her? what's a good "Show off" spots in TO?

Thanks in advance.

ahdurian

For someone who has been living in the GTA off and on for over 20 years, I honestly don't knwo what's appealing about TO...

I attend to my boring watering holes on Friday nights with mates... other than that, my life is lame and I have no idea what's special about the city..

WHAT I AM GETTING AT IS... A friend of mine is visiting me from Australia in two weeks....

She is a free spirit type, 30 year old woman, that loves to have fun, travel and discover cool things about cities ( kinda the opposite of me)

She's staying with me for three days and I am in panic mode, I don't want to be a shitty host...

How would any of you guys impress an adventurous tourist in Toronto...Where would you guys take her? what's a good "Show off" spots in TO?

Thanks in advance.

Introduce them to TorontoGAF. We'll take care of her

on a more serious note, the more generic answers being:
  • Casa Loma
  • St. Lawrence Market
  • CN Tower
  • Toronto Island
  • Kensington Market
  • Distillery District
  • Ontario Place
  • Chinatown
  • Harbourfront
  • Leafs / Jays game

• Casa Loma
  • St. Lawrence Market
  • CN Tower
  • Toronto Island
  • Kensington Market
  • Distillery District
  • Ontario Place
  • Chinatown
  • Harbourfront
  • Leafs / Jays game

If you grab a copy of Now, there's also basically infinite music/theater/live show options every week too.
Thanks guys, this helps! gonna need to exercise my "good host/tourist guide" muscles this next two weeks.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks guys, this helps! gonna need to exercise my "good host/tourist guide" muscles this next two weeks.
I'd strongly recommend St Lawrence Market, Kensington Market, and Distillery District in particular.

Eaton Centre area is a lot nicer now and has a bunch of Japanese places. Yorkdale is ok though Yorkville is worth a walk through at least once even if I would've recommend buying anything there. You can also walk through UofT, Trinity Bellwood Park, High Park, and maybe even Pacific Mall though I don't recommend it.

• Casa Loma
  • St. Lawrence Market
  • CN Tower
  • Toronto Island
  • Kensington Market
  • Distillery District
  • Ontario Place
  • Chinatown
  • Harbourfront
  • Leafs / Jays game