• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 18 Demo Impressions

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
As someone that was massively obsessed with this franchise for a very long time, I can scarcely believe how similar this game feels to FIFA 17. I usually play the FIFA game each year and spend a good few hours, if not days or weeks, enjoying the newness before I start to despise the same old problems as they begin to rear their head.

The demo starts by advertising all of the ground breaking innovations but you only have to play for five minutes to realise there is no ground breaking innovations here, or at least, none that have any prominence to prevent this game from feeling extremely similar to its predecessor.

I have, admittedly, not played much but this is the first time in a decade of demos that I came away from my first match thinking "What changed?" Most depressingly, the core flaws that have infuriated me in this franchise for years and years are as present as ever. The passing game is stale. The defensive game is disfunctional. The AI is clueless. I doubt I'll buy either football game this year, but if I did decide to, it certainly wouldn't be this one.
I sadly agree

Absolute shit compared to pes.
Yeah for gameplay pes blew me away more

Majukun

ai in the career mode is dumb as usual too.. for me that I like to play using only the one player instead of all the team is gonna be hell once again.

oh well, I don't pay for fifa anyway... Maybe this year instead of a good demo and a bad game they will give us a bad demo and a better game

Bumhead

Banned
I think some of the atmosphere and stadium details have been overstated in EA's marketing. I've been specifically playing as Boca at La Bombonera to test that stuff as I am a sucker for these sorts of details. Still feels a bit undercooked to me though. Simply adding flags and the tape/netting down the terraces isn't convincing me they've suddenly nailed stadium atmosphere.

I still think PES and its visual engine does this stuff better for the fewer licensed stadiums it does have. Might just be an image quality preference admittedly but I don't think any of the stadiums here look as good as Dortmund or the Camp Nou from the PES demo.

Game itself feels pretty alright. Not blown away and it absolutely looks and feels like FIFA. I want to say there's some subtle changes to the overall pace and weight of the game that make it feel almost instantly more rewarding than 17, but these really do feel subtle, and as mentioned previously for me personally that's a low bar.

I dunno. It just felt a bit imprecise and sloppy to me. There are some fundamental aspects of the core FIFA gameplay that I feel are far more rewarding in PES now. I didn't feel like I was playing to individual players strengths, or having to work to build up a specific type of play, or feel like I had as much overall control, as I did in PES 2017 or the 2018 demo.

"Fine" is how I'd describe this demo so far. It feels like a fine, competent FIFA game. I feel like it (importantly) pulls things back round and back on track after 17, but does very little to genuinely enhance things beyond what we all know and expect.

Lashley

ai in the career mode is dumb as usual too.. for me that I like to play using only the one player instead of all the team is gonna be hell once again.

oh well, I don't pay for fifa anyway... Maybe this year instead of a good demo and a bad game they will give us a bad demo and a better game
Here's hoping. Usually the demo is better than final release though

Kalor

It feels a lot more like 17 than I was expecting. I don't mind that since I enjoyed last years game but there's not much you can point at as new.

Also the AI in penalties is really dumb.

Majukun

It feels a lot more like 17 than I was expecting. I don't mind that since I enjoyed last years game but there's not much you can point at as new.

Also the AI in penalties is really dumb.
yeah, the CPU missed 4/5 penalties against me, and only 1 was actually saved by my gk

Lashley

Anyone else used the HDR? It seems a bit dark to me, even put it on HDR Vivid (LG TV)

bosh

I think some of the atmosphere and stadium details have been overstated in EA's marketing. I've been specifically playing as Boca at La Bombonera to test that stuff as I am a sucker for these sorts of details. Still feels a bit undercooked to me though. Simply adding flags and the tape/netting down the terraces isn't convincing me they've suddenly nailed stadium atmosphere.

I still think PES and its visual engine does this stuff better for the fewer licensed stadiums it does have. Might just be an image quality preference admittedly but I don't think any of the stadiums here look as good as Dortmund or the Camp Nou from the PES demo.

Game itself feels pretty alright. Not blown away and it absolutely looks and feels like FIFA. I want to say there's some subtle changes to the overall pace and weight of the game that make it feel almost instantly more rewarding than 17, but these really do feel subtle, and as mentioned previously for me personally that's a low bar.

I dunno. It just felt a bit imprecise and sloppy to me. There are some fundamental aspects of the core FIFA gameplay that I feel are far more rewarding in PES now. I didn't feel like I was playing to individual players strengths, or having to work to build up a specific type of play, or feel like I had as much overall control, as I did in PES 2017 or the 2018 demo.

"Fine" is how I'd describe this demo so far. It feels like a fine, competent FIFA game. I feel like it (importantly) pulls things back round and back on track after 17, but does very little to genuinely enhance things beyond what we all know and expect.

Gameplay is nice in PES but the lack of licensing and presentation detail always kills the game for me. Granted every year what I do is start with an EFL team and build them up to a prem team. Having the licenses is awesome because you learn about so many players in so many leagues while building and buying. Martin Tyler and the number of prem stadiums is also huge plus for me with FIFA.

Granted if what you wanted to do is just play as one of the few top teams (Barca, RM ) and didn't care about licenses I can see why PES is attractive.

Lashley

Gameplay is nice in PES but the lack of licensing and presentation detail always kills the game for me. Granted every year what I do is start with an EFL team and build them up to a prem team. Having the licenses is awesome because you learn about so many players in so many leagues while building and buying. Martin Tyler and the number of prem stadiums is also huge plus for me with FIFA.

Granted if what you wanted to do is just play as one of the few top teams (Barca, RM ) and didn't care about licenses I can see why PES is attractive.

Takes a few minutes at most to get an OF and do it on PS4, takes literally 1 minute on PC

I will give this a go as i havent bought FIFA for a few years and i do miss online clubs but PES really did impress me this year that the FIFA demo will have to blow my socks off.

I've probably played about 20-30 matches on the demo and have found so little to complain about. Yeah the licenses are a pain but the gameplay comes first and edit mode can generally get things close enough for things to look authentic from the gameplay cam. Luckily (?) I'm a Liverpool fan so fortunately my team is licensed but the game should be a cracker regardless.

bosh

Takes a few minutes at most to get an OF and do it on PS4, takes literally 1 minute on PC

For not just England but also other lower league divisions around the world also? I know it sounds silly but having all the info, stats , jerseys and announcers being able to say the players names for even the little clubs really goes a long way in the experience for me.

Nyx

I try every year but can't get into it, usually go semi

Same.

But I always feel that if you aren't playing with the default control settings you are just making it harder for yourself when playing others online.

Could be that I'm just terrible though.

Lashley

Same.

But I always feel that if you aren't playing with the default control settings you are just making it harder for yourself when playing others online.

Could be that I'm just terrible though.

Nah, you're definitely handicapping yourself :(

Wish they had filters for online games in FUT

Think im going to turn HDR off too, its too dark

jrmanimal

Last FIFA I bought was 15, I though this one was okay. It's fun but I think I'll pass again...PES too. Frustrating that I like a few things of each game but overalll I don't really like either. I'll have to fill my soccer fantasies with Football Manager this year again.

Also, there's a ghost player in Juventus or is it just here? Khedira I think. It shows no name or info, I just took him out of the team to avoid a crash or something

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
For whatever reason I thought the PC demo isn't available today. I will try it tomorrow then. Hopefully there is a Switch demo after the Direct too.

I'm playing in HDR too and I think it looks great. Doesn't look too dark to me.

In terms of the gameplay though, I can confidently say that it feels and plays exactly like FIFA 17 which is quite disappointing considering how expensive the game is this year. The EA FIFA tax has made this game almost £50 across every retailer in the UK.

Rellik

For not just England but also other lower league divisions around the world also? I know it sounds silly but having all the info, stats , jerseys and announcers being able to say the players names for even the little clubs really goes a long way in the experience for me.

Yes.

It's a non-issue these days.

Top Bottom