• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 18 Demo Impressions

Ravelle

Why do people say PES graphics are better than Fifa? (I'm not a fanboy, have PES2018 at home after it was delivered yesterday). Fifa 18 looks insanely good on my Samsung KS9000 with 4K HDR on PS4 Pro. Fifa 17 looked great but the HDR just adds that extra edge of realism. Admittedly some of the PES faces look increadible, and PES graphics have improved overall, but nowhere near the realism of Fifa.

You're not really helping your point with that.

I'm on a regular PS4 with a normal 1080p TV and even on PC the characters on the field look like blobs. Characters looked better from a distance in the PES demo.

philm87

I've been playing PES 2018 for review and it's fantastic. The goalkeeper animation is incredible, it'll be interesting to see how FIFA compares in this respect.

One area I've seen where the PES goalkeeper animation can look poor is on penalties. Sometimes they seem to give and kind of slide along very unnaturally and awkwardly as if the animation is glitched. Probably something they'll patch at some point.

philm87

You're not really helping your point with that.

I'm on a regular PS4 with a normal 1080p TV and even on PC the characters on the field look like blobs. Characters looked better from a distance in the PES demo.

I see what you mean, but I've got PES2018 on the same TV, and although PES looks pretty good, Fifa looks a mile ahead.

El_Cinefilo

Man, the models here are ugly. The hair especially.

Didn't even finish a match. Maybe next year.

I feel like the gamescom trailer made it look like there was a decent improvement in the models but that seems to not be the case. They don't look any better at all to me.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Stupid question but are you sure your monitor has HDR?

Might be wrong but that's an asus pg279q?

The HDR is on my LG UJ634V TV, I can take pics comparing HDR on and off on that if you want, but it looks the same as the monitor when off

julrik

My thoughts:

- Gameplay is too fast
- Opponent AI is scripted and boring, as always
- Ping-pong passing sweat fest

PES 2018 for me this year.

Lashley

Yup, on my LG OLED it's the only game that's ever looked like this in HDR.

Could it be LG at fault? Seems like people with LG TVs hate it, but others were saying its amazing but they have samsungs

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
it's just the same old FIFA to me but graphics do look improved.

i've just cancelled my pre order. not feeling it. will use that £50 towards Forza, South Park, or Destiny 2 next month instead.

philm87

Could it be LG at fault? Seems like people with LG TVs hate it, but others were saying its amazing but they have samsungs

I used to have HDR issues on my Samsung but got my TV set up better. Shortcut to sort out a dull HDR picture is to turn Dynamic Contrast on low. HDR generally isn't great in bright rooms as it will be slightly duller. Crank the backlight to max for HDR and when you watch standard content don't have the backlight too high, or HDR will always look relatively dull. Slightly upping the gamma and increasing the colour setting usually helps with HDR.

Lashley

I used to have HDR issues on my Samsung but got my TV set up better. Shortcut to sort out a dull HDR picture is to turn Dynamic Contrast on low. HDR generally isn't great in bright rooms as it will be slightly duller. Crank the backlight to max for HDR and when you watch standard content don't have the backlight too high, or HDR will always look relatively dull. Slightly upping the gamma and increasing the colour setting usually helps with HDR.

I usually have HDR Game mode on, Dynamic Contrast on Medium and Gamma at medium too, backlight at 100 as the TV isn't bright to begin with

All HDR Seems to do to the picture is dim the picture and drain the colour tbh

philm87

I usually have HDR Game mode on, Dynamic Contrast on Medium and Gamma at medium too, backlight at 100 as the TV isn't bright to begin with

All HDR Seems to do to the picture is dim the picture and drain the colour tbh

May be an OLED problem as OLED can't get as bright as standard LED. Try sticking the colour setting up at least. I use Dynamic contrast off as although it can make it brighter, it can take away the benefits of HDR, but I don't have the dullness issue.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
A lot of hyperbole in this thread.

Some PC screenshots (1080p, the demo doesn't seem to like DSR resolutions):

fifa18demoscreenshot2qxkgn.png

fifa18demoscreenshot2isk5c.png

fifa18demoscreenshot2pajla.png

fifa18demoscreenshot25ojnk.png

fifa18demoscreenshot24vj5j.png

fifa18demoscreenshot2ctjx7.png

fifa18demoscreenshot28gj6d.png

fifa18demoscreenshot24ckxp.png

Bumhead

Banned
Played enough of the demo now to decide this will be only the second FIFA in over 20 years I don't buy.

There are several gameplay areas where I think the gap between both games is as wide as it's been since the PS2 days, in PES' favour.

EA have done very well with Ultimate Team, Pro Clubs and the licensing because that's a trinity of factors which secures this series from ever being punished for it's quality at retail. I think its a shame because this is - once again - starting to feel like a series in real need of a refresh.

Lashley

Yeah the graphics are amazing, always are on FIFA. It's the gameplay they should work on.

Okada

This is the only game I've had any HDR issues with and I've played > 20 HDR games. My TV is calibrated and looks fantastic for everything other than Fifa.

Funny thing is that game looks more 'HDR' once you disable it in the PS4's settings! PES 2018 for me as Fifa seems too fast and arcadey, which is quite shocking as it used to be the other way around a few years ago.

tanuki

Gotta say, I think the gameplay has gotten worse since switching from Ignite to Frostbite. I don’t think the 20% improvement in visuals has been worth the switch.

Not sure when EA will ever feel the need to give the game a major overhaul ever again. They make so much money doing so little, it’s hardly worth the effort. It’s not that dissimilar from Yukes and WWE.

stoke1863

As someone that was massively obsessed with this franchise for a very long time, I can scarcely believe how similar this game feels to FIFA 17. I usually play the FIFA game each year and spend a good few hours, if not days or weeks, enjoying the newness before I start to despise the same old problems as they begin to rear their head.

The demo starts by advertising all of the ground breaking innovations but you only have to play for five minutes to realise there is no ground breaking innovations here, or at least, none that have any prominence to prevent this game from feeling extremely similar to its predecessor.

I have, admittedly, not played much but this is the first time in a decade of demos that I came away from my first match thinking "What changed?" Most depressingly, the core flaws that have infuriated me in this franchise for years and years are as present as ever. The passing game is stale. The defensive game is disfunctional. The AI is clueless. I doubt I'll buy either football game this year, but if I did decide to, it certainly wouldn't be this one.

Exactly how i feel, 18 does feel better just in the fact the terrible input lag from 17 has gone but thats it really, playing vs AI on Fifa has been stale and robotic for years now (im guessing dev resources are spent on FUT and online experinces)

Ive gone with PES this year.

This is the only game I've had any HDR issues with and I've played > 20 HDR games. My TV is calibrated and looks fantastic for everything other than Fifa.

Yup definitely something wrong with the demo. The HDR is too dark on my PS4 Pro.

I'm going to download the Xbox One version to compare.

El_Cinefilo

It's weird people are saying it's too dark with HDR, I played a match at La Bombonera and its was so bright and washed out it almost hurt my eyes. The bernabeu seemed fine though.

Lashley

Yeah HDR is fucked

It's grey and devoid of colour compared to when I turn it off 😂😂😂

It's hard to get a pic since this phone makes it brighter

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Any tips for crossing?

I use manual crossing and usually I cross pretty much parallel with the line, trying to cross in diagonal is pretty tricky, it's very sensitive and can end out of bounds. Diagonal crossing works better if you turn around before crossing.

Top Bottom